• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nevermind I actually won't have to go to bed early as 6 AM PST where I live means 9 AM and just an hour before my doctors appointment. So good timing.

I might miss some of it though as I have to leave before 10. No matter though.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I guess I should consider myself thankful because I'm still on vacations (not going back to school until the 27th) and my insomnia has been (partially) fixed, so I'll be able to livewatch the stream.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
Have completed one of their games:
:ultmario::ultyoshi: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpiranha:(Odyssey on my brother's Switch this summer, but not 100%)
:ultpikachu: :ultjigglypuff: :ultmewtwo: :ultpokemontrainer: (Pokemon Yellow in German and Silver)
:ultpichu: (Silver)
:ultkirby: :ultkingdedede: (Dreamland 1 on an emulator)

Have played a game in their franchise (or subfranchise)
:ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultmetaknight::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar: (see above)
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool: (DKC1 on SNES Classic)
:ultdoc: (Dr. Mario on NSO NES)
:ultwario: (Wario Land 3)
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultyounglink: (ALttP on SNES Classic and the original on NSO NES)
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley: (Super Metroid on SNES Classic)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: (Star Fox and Star Fox 2 on SNES Classic)
:ultness::ultlucas: (Earthbound on SNES Classic and Mother 3 on an emulator)
:ultfalcon: (F-Zero on SNES Classic)
:ultgnw: (Game and Watch Collection on an emulator)
:ultsonic: (a little bit of Mania)
:ultmegaman: (MM11 Demo on Xbox One)
:ultlittlemac: (Super Punch-Out on SNES Classic)
:ultmiifighters: (Switch Mii Maker, if you can believe it)
:ultpacman: (who hasn't?)
:ultcloud: (FF6 on SNES Classic)
:ultsimon::ultrichter: (Super Castlevania IV on SNES Classic)
:ulthero: (DQ3 GBC on an emulator)
:ultbanjokazooie: (Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox One)

Never outside of Smash:
:ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultsnake::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultjoker::ult_terry:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Isn't there supposed to be a big Elder Scrolls presentation Thursday afternoon?

What if Fighter 5 was Dragonborn and Bethesda uses Smash to get people to tune in to their presentation? I would rather have Doomguy personally but ehh.

I was of mind that anything Bethesda related would be after the pass but it might just be #5.
The ESO:Skyrim official reveal is at 2 pm PST on Thursday, and they’re putting a Dovahkiin costume in the in-game store that day too - the store usually updates at 10 eastern, so an hour after the Smash presentation.

But as wonderful as this sounds, I highly doubt there’s any connection, as much as I want one. I don’t think any of the Smash DLC really coincided with anything major, especially not if the other company announced beforehand.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Considering it feels like we've been waiting for ages for this reveal, I just want to fast forward the next 2 days until the presentation. Ah well, gotta be patient. I'll make sure to stay clear of any speculation, definitely don't want to be spoiled now.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Well let's speculate then. Here's some ****ty-ass Japanese insight on the wording. The important parts that I can see are maintained in the English translation:

> 1体だけ挙げて当てることができたら

If you are able to guess right in just one character,

> 予言者かも

Might be a prophet.

The only thing that kind of weird might be 1体, which is the counter for bodies/figures/humanoid forms. Pretty clearly just means "You get to guess one character" but could have some super oblique reference.

The English translation used oracle, not too weird, but maybe telling for a certain reference?

For what it's worth, Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons do not mention oracles or prophets at all in their Japanese titles, not that anyone from those games would be expected to be FP5, but it was my first thought.

My second thought is Maya from Phoenix Wright, who I believe is always called a "medium" in English and, not having a copy of Ace Attorney 1 around, I have no idea how they refer to her in Japanese. Probably not as a 予言者 cuz she never predicts the future. Though the first part would kind of fit Phoenix as the pressure of guessing is kind of the gameplay.

I'm not really sure which other character has anything to do with being a prophet/oracle, even among more obscure characters. Pretty much just Shulk and some iterations of Zelda among anyone who would realistically be in Smash.

This actually may not be a clue, or, if it is, it's a tough one.

As for the pose of Sakurai's picture, I got no idea. That pose doesn't ring any bells and three is a ridiculously common number, very hard to figure out anything video game related from that. Fire Emblem: Three Houses, 3rd games in their franchises, characters with three parts like Chorus Kids, even info about the next three characters, could mean anything.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Have completed one of their games:
:ultmario::ultyoshi: :ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpiranha:(Odyssey on my brother's Switch this summer, but not 100%)
:ultpikachu: :ultjigglypuff: :ultmewtwo: :ultpokemontrainer: (Pokemon Yellow in German and Silver)
:ultpichu: (Silver)
:ultkirby: :ultkingdedede: (Dreamland 1 on an emulator)

Have played a game in their franchise (or subfranchise)
:ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultmetaknight::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar: (see above)
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool: (DKC1 on SNES Classic)
:ultdoc: (Dr. Mario on NSO NES)
:ultwario: (Wario Land 3)
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultyounglink: (ALttP on SNES Classic and the original on NSO NES)
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley: (Super Metroid on SNES Classic)
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf: (Star Fox and Star Fox 2 on SNES Classic)
:ultness::ultlucas: (Earthbound on SNES Classic and Mother 3 on an emulator)
:ultfalcon: (F-Zero on SNES Classic)
:ultgnw: (Game and Watch Collection on an emulator)
:ultsonic: (a little bit of Mania)
:ultmegaman: (MM11 Demo on Xbox One)
:ultlittlemac: (Super Punch-Out on SNES Classic)
:ultmiifighters: (Switch Mii Maker, if you can believe it)
:ultpacman: (who hasn't?)
:ultcloud: (FF6 on SNES Classic)
:ultsimon::ultrichter: (Super Castlevania IV on SNES Classic)
:ulthero: (DQ3 GBC on an emulator)
:ultbanjokazooie: (Banjo-Kazooie on Xbox One)

Never outside of Smash:
:ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultsnake::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultjoker::ult_terry:
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the only game that's on the smash roster that I haven't played at least once is Bayonetta. Those games never really caught my attention

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The ESO:Skyrim official reveal is at 2 pm PST on Thursday, and they’re putting a Dovahkiin costume in the in-game store that day too - the store usually updates at 10 eastern, so an hour after the Smash presentation.

But as wonderful as this sounds, I highly doubt there’s any connection, as much as I want one. I don’t think any of the Smash DLC really coincided with anything major, especially not if the other company announced beforehand.
Yeah, I was throwing that idea out in light of some rumors. I have (or had) my doubts about Bethesda as Fighter 5 but it's a possibility not many are considering.

D

Deleted member

35 minutes huh. Guess there's a lot to say. probably a lot of history behind this character. I know people will see the runtime and go 'Oh, 35 for one character? There's no way, there's GOT to be more than one!!"

Don't forget to reign in your expectations folks, this could easily be 35 for one character reveal and nothing more. There's a chance he'll say something regarding the next pass, but no guarantees.

The Direct will probably be broken down like this:

Immediate start with Character trailer
Sakurai 'welcoming us' and talking about history of the character itself and why he chose it (second largest chunk of runtime for direct)
Character gameplay with Sakurai sitting down and destroying CPUs as he shows us how the character works in detail (largest chunk of time)
Stage accompanying the character that shows any hazards (like Mementos' train & shifting stage), gimmicks (Spiral Mountain's spinning), and/or cameos (KoF's & Mementos' appearing characters in background)
Music accompanying the stage (if its iconic, Sakurai will probably gush about it and we'll be stunned by yet another 3rd party game getting like 20 songs)
Mii Costumes

All that can easily take 35 minutes. They could shorten some areas (like the 'history of the character' portion and the music talk if there's not much) and have time for Fighters' Pass 2 brief talk, but don't trick yourselves into thinking they must show it.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think the only thing we may get regarding Post-Pass is not a new character but rather how the post pass characters will work. Like are they a new pass of their own? Individual purchases? That's something to consider.

And of course I imagine patch notes and Mii costumes will appear too.

Those are the only things beyond who #5 is that I can see appearing.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
My partner just brought up that it's interesting how the thumbnail has an orange tint to it.

Color theory...win

(Also Travis has a Tiger motif and gold/orange sunglasses I'M JUST SAYING)
I will laugh my ass off if color theory turns out to be true in the end. So many months we laughed at how bizarre the theory is only for it to be correct after all.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hey everyone if anything Ammy, Elma, Sora, Shantae, Saber, or KOS-MOS related happens please @ me. My area is going to have scheduled electrical work so power will be off for a while

Also the orangish thumbnail color theory fits Ammy to a T.

Last edited:

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I don't think we will get a post past character announced but I hope Sakurai will talk about what direction it's going in and the format (if it's going to be the same format as the first fighter pass). The most I can see is a PP or Rex Mii costume bonus announcement.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hosoyamada is retweeting Sakurai's Smash announcement. He is the current producer of Puyo Puyo series.
Arle could get costume’d like Rex did when Soraya Saga retweeted the November 1 direct announcement...

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Considering it feels like we've been waiting for ages for this reveal, I just want to fast forward the next 2 days until the presentation. Ah well, gotta be patient. I'll make sure to stay clear of any speculation, definitely don't want to be spoiled now.
Just be grateful that you only have to wait about a month at most after the character reveal to play them and not 4 months.

35 minutes huh. Guess there's a lot to say. probably a lot of history behind this character. I know people will see the runtime and go 'Oh, 35 for one character? There's no way, there's GOT to be more than one!!"

Don't forget to reign in your expectations folks, this could easily be 35 for one character reveal and nothing more. There's a chance he'll say something regarding the next pass, but no guarantees.
This. Terry was like 45 minutes iirc and we all were assuming a double reveal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't think we'll get the first post pass character but we will get something about how they'll work be it how many or if it's a "they're still in development, please understand" thing.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wouldn't read too much into the three fingers thing - it seems like every single fanbase is twisting it to be a hint towards their character. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a "Half-Life 3 confirmed!" joke already.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
There were many things I was expecting to see when I woke up today, but Sakurai's fingers being used by people to hint at a Smash character was certainly not one of them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hand on a second, I've seen the three finger thing before

Captain Syrup? Ashley? Mona? Jimmy T.? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Geno is the third party member in Super Mario Rpg.

Its finally his time bros.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The only thing that seems sketchy to me about it being Dante because of the twitter post is that I cannot think of a single time Nintendo has hinted or allowed people involved to hint a character ahead of time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's too bad Andy only holds up two fingers instead of three otherwise he would have been Fighter 5.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
...aaaario as depicted in the Wario Land series. :4wario2:will now be his default costume and I just realized we don't have the Ultimate version of Overalls Wario.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom