• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I see the argument that it took Astral Chain so long to get spirits due to Sakurai considering and then scrapping the dumbest name for a protag I have ever ****ing seen. This makes me even more confident in Edelgard as if Sakurai believed Fire Emblem now had too many characters we'd have gotten that spirit board significantly earlier, while he had mixed feelings on Corrin back in Smash 4, Ultimate has a significantly larger roster with at least 81 characters, which could also change his stance on too many characters. "But Gwen!" You may be saying, "Fire Emblem bad!" To that I say, **** you I'm gay for Edelgard so that doesn't matter
There is still Nintendo higher ups who may want Byleth instead because protagonist/avatar charscter privilege (Japan LOVES their avatars). Only thing I feel is in Edelgard's favor is Sakurai supposedly saying he wants an axe fighter some time in the past but I do not know if it was FE-related ontop of feeling it is just a one-off line.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There is still Nintendo higher ups who may want Byleth instead because protagonist/avatar charscter privilege (Japan LOVES their avatars). Only thing I feel is in Edelgard's favor is Sakurai supposedly saying he wants an axe fighter some time in the past but I do not know if it was FE-related ontop of feeling it is just a one-off line.
Show me the pictures of the Byleth Figma. Oh wait, you can't because only Edelgard has one. Show me the Byleth cosplayers hired by Nintendo for official events. Oh wait Edelgard has those too.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Show me the pictures of the Byleth Figma. Oh wait, you can't because only Edelgard has one. Show me the Byleth cosplayers hired by Nintendo for official events. Oh wait Edelgard has those too.
Now show us the results of popularity polls.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Now show us the results of popularity polls.
Thing is, polls always have multiple different factors beyond results, who voted in the polls? How many people? Where did they come from? Etc. It's how characters like Dorothea score high in the west but score low in Japan and vice versa for characters like Gilbert.

Also polls don't affect who's the face of the game

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
But what if Fire Emblem three houses is too new for Smash bros to arrive in time? That's why Rex didn't get in and probably why Akira Howard didn't get in.

They're saving those three houses spirits for when it hurts the most.

I.D.

Smash Lord
But what if Fire Emblem three houses is too new for Smash bros to arrive in time? That's why Rex didn't get in and probably why Akira Howard didn't get in.
It would put ARMS and Xenoblade 2 in a very awkward position. Too new for base game but too old for DLC?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Rex didn't get in because he couldn't make the 8pm meeting for his Smash job interview as that's past his bedtime

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It would put ARMS and Xenoblade 2 in a very awkward position. Too new for base game but too old for DLC?
Base game content isn’t really made in the same vein as DLC content. Sakurai seems to have free rein with the base game to love whatever Nintendo IPs he wants but DLC needs to go through a whole bunch of other factors. Hence why he apologised for Rex.
To put it another way, Rex is only available on the breakfast menu but it was 12:01 when the order was made so they couldn’t cook it. Once it hits PM it’s a different ball game. He would’ve kept the breakfast menu open if he could but now he has to cook McJiggies and Terry Burgards.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
A question for you all: if a Nintendo First Party Switch game were to receive a stage in the game that isn't there yet, which one would you choose and why?
My choice would be Uraya from Xenoblade 2 because it would mean we get one of amazing vistas of the game and more Xenoblade 2 music (why isn't the best song of all time Incoming! not in this game)

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I see the argument that it took Astral Chain so long to get spirits due to Sakurai considering and then scrapping the dumbest name for a protag I have ever ****ing seen. This makes me even more confident in Edelgard as if Sakurai believed Fire Emblem now had too many characters we'd have gotten that spirit board significantly earlier, while he had mixed feelings on Corrin back in Smash 4, Ultimate has a significantly larger roster with at least 81 characters, which could also change his stance on too many characters. "But Gwen!" You may be saying, "Fire Emblem bad!" To that I say, **** you I'm gay for Edelgard so that doesn't matter
I think it would be absolutely ridiculous if Byleth made it in while other Switch era characters like Rex, Spring Man, and now Officier Howard all got left in the dust.

I'm sure we'll get a Three Houses spirit event sometime this year and that the rest of the DLC will consist of third parties.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Personally, I still think spirits deconfirm characters. If Sakurai made them spirits then he probably has no other plans for them. Seeing Resident Evil and now Astral Chain becoming spirits, that only makes it more apparent.

Obviously this will change if a spirit does become playable but until that happens, I think the post pass will continue to include third party characters yet to be introduced in Smash Bros.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I’d rather a new gaming series be included in Smash.

FE already has a lot of reps.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think it would be absolutely ridiculous if Byleth made it in while other Switch era characters like Rex, Spring Man, and now Officier Howard all got left in the dust.

I'm sure we'll get a Three Houses spirit event sometime this year and that the rest of the DLC will consist of third parties.
Yeah it WOULD be ridiculous to get Byleth, which is why we're getting Edelgard. Not to mention the first 2 examples wer base game and Astral Chain was a new, unproven IP so 3H has the edge as it's a new installment in a major Nintendo IP

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Random thought of the day: people often say that Dante's trailer would have to involve Bayonetta, but I'd also like it if there was a segment with him, Bayo and Joker, because Dante and Bayonetta were both in SMT at some point. That would be a neat reference.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
So where's the Gen 8 Pokemon DLC then
Gen 8 got spirits too....

Well, I'm not gonna lie. This announcement (yes announcement, not the VA leak) has me very torn.
On one hand, these dates seem VERY in Dante's favor. January 16th reveal, February 13th release. HOWEVER, I cannot see this NOT breaking an NDA if this indeed correlates to a Nintendo Direct AND a Smash reveal.
The VA leak is still irrelevant to me, but it does seem odd in timing.
Only major Thing these dates will talk about is the stuff for DMC3 Deluxe on the Switch. And going by the line dropped by the director, it sounds like it's gonna be
Tying up the final loose end of the story and letting us play as Vergil when he storms the Gates of Hell to fight Mindus, and how he got captured.

So yeah, kinda iffy on Smash details...at least not yet.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Implying Dixie couldn't come with a stage and music?
I heavily disagree on both matters.

If they want to give a character from an existing franchise a stage and music, they can. If they want to include a character from a new franchise without any of those things, they can as well. Nothing's promising us any of those things except for the format of the Fighter Pass. If Fighter 5 is, say, Elma, she'll come with a stage and music and Spirits, and it doesn't matter that she's a first party character or that she's from a pre-existing franchise. Conversely, if post-Pass they decide not to have new stages to lessen the cost, it doesn't matter if the character's Dante or Shadow or Bandana Dee, you're not getting a stage.

So, in my opinion, not wanting a character because of matters that are completely irrelevant to the character is just looking at it backwards.
I'm implying Dixie Kong probably wouldn't come with a stage. We've had 2 First Party DLC newcomers so far, and neither has come with a stage, nor did the 3 First Party veterans they brought back in Smash 4 and furthermore, the only stages we've seen thus far in Ultimate have been based around entirely new characters with the exceptions of Great Plateau Tower and New Donk City (which, come on, that's Mario and Zelda we're talking about). Dixie Kong was also specifically an example because she'd probably be a semi-clone of Diddy Kong too, which does even more to probably indicate she wouldn't come with much. Like I said, they could make her come with stuff, but history seems to say otherwise as does the actually quite high amount of content for DK already in the game.

If Dante comes to the game, you can bet your ass we'll get a Devil May Cry stage because no universe outside of ROB has ever truly gone without a stage in Smash beyond Melee's Fire Emblem stage being cut in development. New franchises are all but guaranteed to bring a stage and music, while new characters in existing franchises are significantly less likely looking at how Smash 4 DLC and all of Ultimate's newcomers have been handled.

Basically no new stages means no new franchises, and **** that nonsense.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Bioshock Collection rating leaked for Switch, hoping we get a direct announcement this morning.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Makes me sad that ROB has no stage, when a lab with pneumatic pistons going up and down, Dr. Hector in the background controlling them, would work great. Little Smicks wandering around to bite your ankles, and lit dynamite dropping into the stage.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Spring Man, who’s an AT: Helloooo? Did everyone forget me or?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
D

Deleted member

Show me literally anyone other than an avatar being the unique Fire Emblem newcomer for these past two Smash games.

D

Deleted member

"Sakurai said he wanted an axe user so it has to be edelgard"
Ok, whats stopping him from giving Byleth an axe? Byleth can literaly use any weapons
tbf sakurai would probably design byleth's moveset around the capabilities of the sword of the creator with whipsword shenanigans rather than give em an axe for more than like, maybe one attack

honestly though axes are pretty ****in close to swords, esp in a 2d fighting game. something like a lance would be more unique with them narrow but long af hitboxes

now how about bows
ENUvUiGUwAc49Ui.png

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"Sakurai said he wanted an axe user so it has to be edelgard"
Ok, whats stopping him from giving Byleth an axe? Byleth can literaly use any weapons
So can everyone else in Three Houses. He'd go by what a character excels at.
Byleth's proficiencies are in Swords, Brawling, Faith and Authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom