• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ever seems like a bit of a stretch. There are already a few 1st party characters that made no impact in Smash. The barrier for entry for first party characters is a lot lower than it is for 3rd.
That's true...R.O.B. and Ice Climber weren't exactly sensations that swept the nation, and there are quite a few characters that don't really have any sort of notoriety within their series anymore...I guess I'll retract my statement then. I hope we'll see Spring Man (and friends as echoes) in the future. 'Cuz I liked ARMS quite a lot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
you really think the Japanese give two ****s if us westerners are mad about a character? They are still getting our money anyway. us being butthurt over a FE character isnt gonna stop another one from coming in which I am 100% ok with
Given Sakurai was already having reservations about the number of FE characters prior to adding Corrin... it's possible. His own feelings plus the fan feelings might be enough.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Everyone all salty about Astral Chain but I ain't even mad cause I didn't care about that game.

Not even worried that we might not get any 1st parties, cause, frankly, all the good ones are in already.

Like, I'd kinda like to see Captain Toad/Toadette, King Hippo or Spring Man/Ribbon Girl. But I'm WAY more interested in 3rd party picks.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, I'm not gonna lie. This announcement (yes announcement, not the VA leak) has me very torn.
On one hand, these dates seem VERY in Dante's favor. January 16th reveal, February 13th release. HOWEVER, I cannot see this NOT breaking an NDA if this indeed correlates to a Nintendo Direct AND a Smash reveal.
The VA leak is still irrelevant to me, but it does seem odd in timing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Everyone all salty about Astral Chain but I ain't even mad cause I didn't care about that game.

Not even worried that we might not get any 1st parties, cause, frankly, all the good ones are in already.

Like, I'd kinda like to see Captain Toad/Toadette, King Hippo or Spring Man/Ribbon Girl. But I'm WAY more interested in 3rd party picks.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a few likes, and a pipe dream in Amaterasu, but what ifs aside I'm satisfied with the current roster and I know that I'll like whatever they come up with. And let me tell ya, it's real nice not being so emotionally attached to who joins the roster. It saves me so much angst. Which is good because I can generate enough of that on my own.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well, I'm not gonna lie. This announcement (yes announcement, not the VA leak) has me very torn.
On one hand, these dates seem VERY in Dante's favor. January 16th reveal, February 13th release. HOWEVER, I cannot see this NOT breaking an NDA if this indeed correlates to a Nintendo Direct AND a Smash reveal.
The likelihood of the dates meaning anything for smash are so miniscule that they shouldn't even be considered. These dates were for DMC3 news specifically, not DMC news in general.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Ah yes I saw Matt Walker’s announcement on the day he posted that.

This just tells me that DMC3 news will be announced at the Nintendo Direct on the 16th, or if Dante/Vergil really are the final fighter(s), we’re gonna have to wait until the 30th for the Smash announcement if it’s not on the 16th.

I’m saying this all hypothetically of course.

I’d love for Vergil to get in but it’s most likely just going to be Dante since he’s the flagship character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a few likes, and a pipe dream in Amaterasu, but what ifs aside I'm satisfied with the current roster and I know that I'll like whatever they come up with.
That ain't my boat at all! I'm not even close to satisfied with the roster. I'm just satisfied with the 1st party side of the roster.

The likelihood of the dates meaning anything for smash are so miniscule that they shouldn't even be considered. These dates were for DMC3 news specifically, not DMC news in general.
The idea that a port of DMC3 somehow warrants news on 3 separate dates seems pretty minuscule as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dates aren't exactly good measures for speculation, mind you.

Well, guess we're going back to Smash 4 meta now XD, but since I'm off to Tekken, I'd care less.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Listen, I'm one of the biggest DMC fans out there, but there is no way in blue hell we are getting VERGIL as a character. That'd be the equivalent of getting both Snake and Revolver Ocelot.

7NATOR

Smash Master
On Topic of Both Dante AND Vergil Getting in, I Actually see it being very Possible if Dante gets in that Vergil also gets in. Vergil, when it comes to Reception is like Shadow in a way (My Most wanted Character), only he isn't a Base breaking character like Shadow is, and is so above the other Characters in Popularity Besides Dante (by Comparison, While Shadow is 2nd most Popular, I don't think he's as above Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman like Vergil is above Trish, Lady, and (Arguable) Nero)

-All of the Best DMC Games have been determined by the Amount of Presence of Vergil in them. DMC3 is arguable (with DMC5 also) Considered the Best DMC Game and that game is Vergil's Story as much as Dante's. by Comparison DMC2 has no Vergil at all and is considered the Worst game, and DMC:DmC has Fake Vergil in reboot universe, not actual Vergil

-Vergil Can take enough Material from Dante himself while also Separating Himself not only unique from Dante, but from the Rest of the Cast. Vergil (well in DMC3 anyways) Uses Dante's Model, but with his Hair Spiked up and Different Clothing. Also Alot of Vergil's Moves using Force Edge or Beowulf come from Dante, or are inspired by him. His Yamato Skills and Summoned Swords are really what Separate him from Dante, and can seperate him from the rest of the Cast. At the moment no one Uses a Katana, and unless Ryu Hayabusa gets in I Don't see any other Katana user getting in, and Summoned Swords as Projectiles, while could be hard to balance, are certaintly unique ways of using Projectiles

The Idea I Have is that when Developing Dante, they could use Alot of what they use to develop Dante and transfer it over to Vergil. I Already expect that Dante would probably have the Biggest Moveset in the game. I guess though an issue is that Vergil might have Balancing issues, but I can see it working. I guess also they would have to make Vergil Concept Art, Hire Dan Southworth to voice act, make sure that he doesn't leak anything beause he has an habit of doing that, make a Classic Route for Vergil. I do think though despite all that it's something I can very well see Happen. I Would definitely Want to see this Happen, as Vergil is the Type of character I want, like Shadow. If he got in, I would be down for waiting like 5 decades more for Shadow to be Playable.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Listen, I'm one of the biggest DMC fans out there, but there is no way in blue hell we are getting VERGIL as a character. That'd be the equivalent of getting both Snake and Revolver Ocelot.
Or both Cloud and Sephiroth.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not sure how the comparison because I haven't played a Metal Gear game but I do know that Dante uses a greatsword, dual guns, and a bunch of other gadgets, while Vergil uses a Katana with some energy blade stuff. I don't see how they could even be echoes let alone alternate costumes.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Those Astral Chain spirits are a huge bummer. Not only will we miss out on a fighter with tons of potential it also feels like a huge blow against first-parties in general. Not even Three Houses is safe anymore.
Hopefully there's a good reason for not making the Howard twins playable that isn't "We simply aren't bothering with any Nintendo owned characters even if they'd make for great fighters, Akira is no exception"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not sure how the comparison because I haven't played a Metal Gear game but I do know that Dante uses a greatsword, dual guns, and a bunch of other gadgets, while Vergil uses a Katana with some energy blade stuff. I don't see how they could even be echoes let alone alternate costumes.
They shouldn't be. Despite being twin brothers, they fight nothing alike. They don't even use the same systems in games where they're both playable.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Those dates are why I am betting on it being Dante. Those dates especially the 16th and 13th would line up with having a direct on the 16th and the Feb 13th date happens to exactly one week before the DMC3 port comes out on Switch. Its also tough to think what announcements could be reveal on those 3 dates since besides the dpad style switching, which is basically all but confirm I have no idea what they could add to DMC3 unless if its like a DMC4 port reveal being on one those dates.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Vergil and Dante's fighting style couldn't be anymore different, hell in the game's that they are both playable being the remaster of DMC4 and the special edition of DMC3 they play very differently from each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmXlEigpW-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hD6PFejbA

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I disagree. Older games may not be able to wow you in the visual department and may lack certain features (like save features), but beyond that a flaw in game design is a flaw in game design, and in my opinion dropping you in a mostly empty world and not telling you how to continue is a flaw in game design.
I heavily disagree on both matters.
Hey, I want Dixie too, plus a bunch of other Nintendo characters. But Eric is talking about brand new series, and with Dixie in particular there's a high chance she won't come with any new music or stages. K. Rool didn't come with any new DK stages, as the existing DKC stages were general and nonspecific enough to get away with it.

We're not guaranteed to get a new stage and music for Nintendo newcomers of a pre-existing series the way we are with third-party characters. As much as I want a Tropical Freeze stage with more music from that game, there's a high chance the Smash team will skip out on developing it and opt for just throwing Dixie in to save on resources. Remember, Corrin was the only Nintendo newcomer of Smash 4 DLC, and the most they got was a remix and rip of Lost in Thoughts All Alone. That isn't as exciting as the Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker, Hero, BK, or Terry treatment.
If they want to give a character from an existing franchise a stage and music, they can. If they want to include a character from a new franchise without any of those things, they can as well. Nothing's promising us any of those things except for the format of the Fighter Pass. If Fighter 5 is, say, Elma, she'll come with a stage and music and Spirits, and it doesn't matter that she's a first party character or that she's from a pre-existing franchise. Conversely, if post-Pass they decide not to have new stages to lessen the cost, it doesn't matter if the character's Dante or Shadow or Bandana Dee, you're not getting a stage.

So, in my opinion, not wanting a character because of matters that are completely irrelevant to the character is just looking at it backwards.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Welp, here's hoping a direct gets announced soon.
Same, I want to know what first party games Nintendo has this year outside of the 4 we already know especially since one of them is a port, two of them are remakes, which is just leaving one as an brand new game and three of those games are suppose to by the end of March with one of them releasing this Friday. Also FP5 would be nice.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly, this situation in general right now is really reminding me of how things were around this time last year. There kept being these hints about a Direct coming soon, but then some announcements that could've reasonably been at a Direct - such as the Metroid Prime 4 development restart - just dropped without any fanfare, and the Direct didn't happen until February.
I really hope that it's not gonna be like that this year. . .

D

Deleted member

Honestly, this situation in general right now is really reminding me of how things were around this time last year. There kept being these hints about a Direct coming soon, but then some announcements that could've reasonably been at a Direct - such as the Metroid Prime 4 development restart - just dropped without any fanfare, and the Direct didn't happen until February.
Another year of confusion indeed and still no end in sight. Sadly that is what we have come to be these past few months.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
To be fair, Saying one of their most anticipated titles is delayed in a presentation meant for making people excited is the absolute worst thing to do. It's better off being separated.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
Played:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultdk::ultdoc::ultmarth::ultduckhunt::ultfox::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultkirby::ultlittlemac::ultness::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultpacman::ultpit::ultryu::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultwario:

Not played:
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta1::ultinkling::ultjoker::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Astral Chain being out is shocking... but Cloud being used for a spirit fight is even more shocking.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, if Astral Chain really is deconfirmed, it really shouldn't be that shocking to people. It's a brand new IP that's not even six months old yet. If Splatoon of all things couldn't get a character in Smash 4, I don't think AC would've fared much better.

Personally, I don't think the AC Spirits changed much. SwSh getting a Spirit Board is way more concerning than the latter, even if it came out on time instead of five months late.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I think they are just trying to spread these spirit additions out. That might explain why Pokémon S&S got their spirits relatively quick, while Astral Chain had to wait a bit.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There is no chance in hell any of the DMC3 teasers are connected to Smash. When have Nintendo EVER let other people spoil their reveals? (No, technical errors and intern screwups are not “letting other people spoil their reveals”. I mean WILLINGLY and INTENTIONALLY spoil a reveal). Even god damn Geoff Keighly of the Game Awards only found out about Joker a week before his show, easily the highlight of the event and this guy just spoils it up to a month in advance? Get out of here.

D

Deleted member

are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash
Played main-series:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultjigglypuff::ultkirby::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultmarth::ultmario::ultluigi::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpiranha::ultpokemontrainerf::ultroy::ultryu::ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter::ult_terry::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede:

Spin-offs:
:ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultdk::ultdiddy::ulthero::ultike::ultlucina::ultjoker:

Smash-only:
:ultbayonetta1::ultfalcon::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultsamus:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
Have played a main-series game from them:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultpiranha:
Have only played spin-offs with them:
:ultbowser::ultwario::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultisabelle:
Do not know them outside Smash:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultsnake::ultike::ultlucas::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultrob::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:
I know that I've always been one to stick with what I know most of all, so I expected I'd have a pretty low rate of experiencing the characters first-hand. Still, there are some characters I've never played outside of Smash that I like and some I don't.
I just really need this rollercoaster to end...
You guys always bring up the most fun questions while I'm asleep.

Have played:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultpiranha::ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultzss::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultike::ultrobin::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultness::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:

Have played, but only briefly:
:ultolimar::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt:

Haven't played, but plan to eventually:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultsnake::ultcloud:

Haven't played, and doubt I ever will:
:ultcorrin::ultdarkpit::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultrob::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ulthero:

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I've played at least one main game from each of the series with playable characters in Smash, with the exceptions of ROB, Duck Hunt and Bayonetta.

Besides that, Fire Emblem characters are the ones I'm least versed in, as I've only played the game that was part of the 3DS Ambassador programme. I've got the original Fire Emblem which I'd have to learn how to read as I play it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Have played a main-series game from them:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultpiranha:
Have only played spin-offs with them:
:ultbowser::ultwario::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultisabelle:
Do not know them outside Smash:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultsnake::ultike::ultlucas::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultrob::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:
I know that I've always been one to stick with what I know most of all, so I expected I'd have a pretty low rate of experiencing the characters first-hand. Still, there are some characters I've never played outside of Smash that I like and some I don't.
I just really need this rollercoaster to end...
I play as these characters and played their series:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultivysaur::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultryu::ultken::ultbanjokazooie:

I play as these characters but never played their games
:ultdoc::ultyoshi::ultlink::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultpit::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultcloud::ulthero::ult_terry:

I never play as them but played games featuring them
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultzelda::ultsheik::ulttoonlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultsquirtle::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultness::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultwario::ultduckhunt::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultrichter:

I never play as them and never played their games
:ultlucina::ultrobin::ultchrom::ultcorrin::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, if Astral Chain really is deconfirmed, it really shouldn't be that shocking to people. It's a brand new IP that's not even six months old yet. If Splatoon of all things couldn't get a character in Smash 4, I don't think AC would've fared much better.

Personally, I don't think the AC Spirits changed much. SwSh getting a Spirit Board is way more concerning than the latter, even if it came out on time instead of five months late.
I mean, let's be fair here: Smash 4 was on the Wii U, and by the end of its DLC cycle, Nintendo was already heavily gearing up towards the Switch. If Smash 4 DLC had continued longer, we might have just seen Inkling.
Though on the other hand, there's also the question of whether or not the 3DS could've handled the ink mechanic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I see the argument that it took Astral Chain so long to get spirits due to Sakurai considering and then scrapping the dumbest name for a protag I have ever ****ing seen. This makes me even more confident in Edelgard as if Sakurai believed Fire Emblem now had too many characters we'd have gotten that spirit board significantly earlier, while he had mixed feelings on Corrin back in Smash 4, Ultimate has a significantly larger roster with at least 81 characters, which could also change his stance on too many characters. "But Gwen!" You may be saying, "Fire Emblem bad!" To that I say, **** you I'm gay for Edelgard so that doesn't matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom