• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
Played and finished at least one game
:ultmario::ultdk::ultbanjokazooie::ultyounglink::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultness::ultvillager::ultdoc::ultsimon::ultpacman::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultgnw:(I'm counting the G&W Galleries)
Played one game for a short time
:ultsamus::ultfox::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultpit::ultcloud::ulthero:
Never Played
:ultmarth::ultshulk::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultryu::ult_terry::ultsnake::ultinkling::ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultwiifittrainer::ultrob:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them?
I like this game. I'll go next.

Played a game from their franchise:
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultdk::ultdoc::ultfox::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultness::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultryu::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultsonic::ult_terry:(all the side characters like the various pokemon, Ken, bowser, peach, etc go here)

Played a little bit of their game:
:ultvillager::ultjoker::ultness::ultpit::ultrobin:(played FE Awakening demo) :ultsamus::ultshulk:

Never played their game(s):
:ultalph::ultmarth:(all of the FE characters except Robin) :ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultrob::ultgnw:

I don't think I missed anyone (I think)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm only going to put the main character of each franchise to make my message shorter
Have played at least one game of their franchise and finished one (in the case of Wii fit, there's no ending but I played a lot of it):
:ultmario: :ultdk: :ultlink: :ultyoshi: :ultpikachu: :ultsamus: :ultkirby: :ultness: :ultmarth: :ultsonic: :ultwiifittrainer: :ultmegaman: :ultshulk: :ultryu: :ultcloud: :ultbayonetta: :ultinkling: :ultjoker: :ulthero:

Have tried one of their game (or more), but for a pretty short period of time, never actually finished those game:
:ultwario: :ultvillager: :ultfox: :ultsnake: :ultfalcon:

Never play anything in their franchise:
:ulticeclimbers: :ultgnw::ultpit: :ultolimar: :ultrob: :ultlittlemac: :ultduckhunt: :ultsimon: :ultbanjokazooie: :ult_terry:
Ah my favorite kind of retrospective.

Games from series I've beaten include
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultwario::ultvillager::ultyounglink::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultsamus::ultsonic::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultpokemontrainer::ultdk::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ultkirby::ultpit::ultyoshi::ultike:

Tried it once, put it down:
:ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultbayonetta1::ultryu::ult_terry::ultdoc:

Never tried:
:ultwiifittrainer::ultroy::ultdarksamus::ultfalcon::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultgnw::ultlucas::ulticeclimbers:

So then it's an argument of semantics?

I did say it's likely that my argument was a strawman, so I'll acknowledge that it's flawed. Regardless, I feel like there's more potential for third parties given that they can cover genres, niches within genres, and archetypes that Nintendo hasn't tried in their games. Maybe it's just me.
There's not a lot of semantics with claiming 1st parties don't have potential. They do, and the reason for prioritizing third parties over obscure first parties is for a more cynical reason ($$$$$$$$$)

I will say I agree that 3rd parties can provide their own unique variety and are always welcome by me. There's a reason I'm okay with stuff like DOOM, Halo, and Resident Evil despite having no interest in them. I want to see those worlds in Smash Bros because only they can provide their own specific music, NPCs, environments, etc. The same for first party series not yet represented with fighters and stages

Last edited by a moderator:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Mega Man is up there, personally I enjoyed Palutenas more
I definitely liked Palutena's reveal the best not just because I really wanted her as a character in 4, but the fact that it gives the slightest hope that one day, we could get a Smash Bros anime.
Ooh I wonder what that anemone thing is - wait why’s the music all ominous it can’t be that baOH MY GOD!!!!

*DEAD*
Xenoblade 2:
Ashe: Can you search for a missing group of allies for me?

Me: Sure no problem.

*Follows footprints of missing group to a cave*

*Given the option "We can take it!" or "We should retreat!"*

Me: *feeling myself cause I have my team, Mythra, Zenobia, and *a certain water blade*, and I'm lv 80* "We can take it!"

*A Rampaging Sauros appears lv91*
Me: You're going dow-aaaahhhhhhh!
*DEAD*

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Kinda brings up an interesting game to see how well-versed you are in the characters of Smash. List out all of the characters, and just identify whether you've played one of their main-series games, 'played' here meaning more than a few minute demo. Or do you really only know them from spin-offs? Or is Smash the only place you've ever experienced them? And this is just for fun, not a way to say "I've experienced everyone so I'm better than you," or "You haven't seen them at all, your opinions are trash."
played a game from their franchises for a decent amount of time or to completion.
:ultmario::ultlink::ultbayonetta1::ultmarth::ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultryu::ultcloud::ulthero::ultinkling::ultpacman::ultjoker:
Have only played a bit of or maybe like demo or just few minutes in general.
:ultolimar::ultkirby::ultfalcon::ult_terry::ultsimon::ultpit::ultbanjokazooie::ultlittlemac::ultfox::ultdk::ultness:
Never played even for a second.
:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Sorry for everyone who wanted Akira. I can't imagine how much it must suck to get deconfirmed after months of staying alive.

If Three Houses is next, I'm gonna pull a Dimitri and live in an abandoned monastery for the next 5 years.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
There's definitely a strange divide in which a portion of the Smash fandom is convinced that we're going to stay the course of third parties from here on out, and another that seems to believe that future DLC will be all based around fan fulfillment and will involve numerous upgrades... which seems forced to say the least and a bit misguided considering even if upgrades become a thing (which I myself have started to back slide on into believing we might not be getting any to be honest), I doubt we'd see many. It just doesn't seem like it fits with literally anything Sakurai, Reggie, Furukawa, or Nintendo as a whole have voiced about Smash in recent history to go such a completely at odds with the past direction.

I'll also say, one of the reasons I'm less keen to say first party DLC personally is just the lack of an oomph in the content we might get with them. Like, I realize you could easily add tons of stuff with any given character, but you could just as easily see someone like Dixie Kong (who I like to be clear, I try to choose characters I like in examples so I'm not actively trying to be "mean" to those fans) come by herself with no additional stages or even music. That additional content, which I know some people rather foolishly discount in my opinion, is a really big part of the game for me and what makes me excited to see new DLC characters in Smash in the first place. It would be so whiplash inducing to go from Terry, who contains 50 songs, 20+ stage cameos, and one of the coolest stages in Smash Bros. history, and a really cool Spirit Board to just like a single character addition.

I just really wanna see content beyond fighters in the future, and my worst case scenario is literally a second wave where stages and such are abandoned and we just go all in on the Character Select Screen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Good night guys.

Here's to an Nintendo Direct being announced tomorrow. If not there's still hope for Wednesday otherwise just have to try for next week.

andree123

Smash Ace
Imagine leaving out :ultyoshi: in those lists even though his series is separate in Smash :yoshi:
I don't think that Yoshi is getting cut in the next smash.

Anyways, would you be happy if the roster of the next smash doesn't have the characters that the west and the Japanese don't want or not interested in?

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't think that Yoshi is getting cut in the next smash.

Anyways, would you be happy if the roster of the next smash doesn't have the characters that the west and the Japanese don't want or not interested in?
That's not what I meant. I was talking about this:

I like this game. I'll go next.

Played a game from their franchise:
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultdk::ultdoc::ultfox::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultness::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultryu::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultsonic::ult_terry:(all the side characters like the various pokemon, Ken, bowser, peach, etc go here)

Played a little bit of their game:
:ultvillager::ultjoker::ultness::ultpit::ultrobin:(played FE Awakening demo) :ultsamus::ultshulk:

Never played their game(s):
:ultalph::ultmarth:(all of the FE characters except Robin) :ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultrob::ultgnw:

I don't think I missed anyone (I think)
In terms of Smash, Yoshi (and Wario) represents his own franchise and it's not quite accurate to lump 'em all into the amorphous blob that is the Mario franchise :yoshi:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Soon, all will come to accept our inevitable future. The course is already set, it is only a matter of when.

Gooigi is coming.
No please, Luigi doesn't deserve to be further outshined in smash.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Sakurai is tired of all the impatience for FP5 and is now slowly destroying everyone's dreams by making every popular choice a Spirit.

FP5 is Corrin...2.

Sakurai then says with a smile on his face:

"You all deserve this."

Direct ends. Gooigi is post pass 1.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tried the series and liked it:
:ultdk::ultfox::ultkirby::ultlink::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultpikachu::ultshulk::ultsimon:
The first game I played in each franchise is Donkey Kong Country Returns, Star Fox, Kirby's Return to Dream Land, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Super Smsh Bros. Brawl/Wii Sports, Pokémon Black 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Castlevania IV.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection is one of if not my first console game.

I actually didn't like Star Fox, but I thought Star Fox 2 was great so I put the series up here.
Tried the series and thought "meh":
:ultfalcon::ultcloud::ulticeclimbers::ultpacman::ultpit::ultsamus::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi:
The first game I played in each franchise is F-Zero, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Ice Climber, Pac-Man, Kid Icarus, Metroid: Samus Returns, Wii Fit, and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Final Fantasy XIV was alright, but it gave me too many "what if it did this cool thing" moments for me to enjoy it. Eventually I'll get around to playing X, X-2, and getting past XII: The Zodiac Age's really slow start.

I only did a weigh in for Wii Fit. It thought I was obese. I was 45lbs at the time.

I didn't have the patience for F-Zero after playing Super Mario Kart.
Tried the series and didn't like it:
:ultryu::ultsonic:
I need to play more Street Fighter games in order to reach a fair verdict but I couldn't find a move list for Street Fighter II so I couldn't enjoy it.

I couldn't get through Sonic and the Black Knight as a kid, which I suppose is fine. I recently played Sonic Mania, but I never really got what was happening nor nor very good at the game. I honestly don't see why people like it.
Never tried the series:
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ulthero::ultinkling::ultjoker::ultlittlemac::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultrob::ultsnake::ult_terry::ultvillager::ultwario:
If we were counting Wario Land as a part of the WarioWare Inc. series then I'd put it in the tried but didn't like category. I played Wario Land: Shake It! and didn't like the reverse speed run parts of the level because I would always hit a wall really quickly, which ruined the fun, and caused me to miss collectables.

EDIT: I've only recently become old enough to play a Bayonetta game. Even so I can't play it with my sister in the house so I probably won't be playing it any time soon.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm surprised that after K. Rool the "irrelevant" argument didn't die. Anyway, it's clear to me the plan was to have 3rd party DLC for the first Fighters Pass. The evidence is obvious. But future DLC could be a different story. Really, who knows? There's no evidence to support the claim that future DLC will still be 3rd parties or if it will be 1st parties or if it will be both. We have nothing. The first Fighters Pass isn't done yet. We'll just have to wait.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Do you mean there are other games that aren't Smash? Seriously though, I'll only list off games I haven't played because I'm not going to put too much thought into what I think of each series.
:ulthero: Never caught my eye. It still hasn't.
:ultroy: Waiting on an official translation/remake for this one :(.
:ultlucas: Same here :(.
:ult_terry: I may have played it on an arcade once.
:ultwiifittrainer: We never got the board, Wii Sports was enough for us.
:ultrob::ultgnw::ultduckhunt: I'm not old.

I decided to make this fit the newcomer thread by coming up with newcomers for each of these series/games I haven't played, so...

Slime would work well enough as a character, why not?
Hector was in Binding Blade, so he counts, right?
Porky's cool, and would be much better than Giygas.
Geese Howard is cool in Tekken 7, so the same would apply in Smash.
I'll just lump Wii Fit and the Retros for a general Nintendo peripheral character. The only characters I can think of are a Labo character or a Hanafuda character.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm surprised that after K. Rool the "irrelevant" argument didn't die. Anyway, it's clear to me the plan was to have 3rd party DLC for the first Fighters Pass. The evidence is obvious. But future DLC could be a different story. Really, who knows? There's no evidence to support the claim that future DLC will still be 3rd parties or if it will be 1st parties or if it will be both. We have nothing. The first Fighters Pass isn't done yet. We'll just have to wait.
No character has the sheer amount of fan support that K. Rool did however. K. Rool was so incredibly popular with fans everywhere that it overwrote any irrelevance he has.

Unless a character is as popular among fans as K. Rool, relevance is important.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No character has the sheer amount of fan support that K. Rool did however. K. Rool was so incredibly popular with fans everywhere that it overwrote any irrelevance he has.

I think this needs to be examined more often by people. King K. Rool basically had the perfect setup to get in. The other two more important DK characters were already in the series, so he only had to fight marginally with Dixie Kong for the DK character slot, and he had probably the most consistent continuous build of any fan requested character I've ever seen. From Diddy's confirmation to Smash 4's base game to Smash 4 DLC to the ballot, King K. Rool constantly was gaining nothing but momentum. His fan base didn't drop off at any point and there wasn't any contentious elements like the "Too Big" debate constantly dragging his name through the mud. Sure, you had those several conversations of irrelevance, but for the most part they didn't end up nearly as mean spirited as several other similar gate keeping conversations.

The only other really comparable character is Banjo & Kazooie, which also managed to maintain such an incredibly consistent build up over time. They both managed to make it in to Smash in spite of their status specifically because the fan support managed to maintain such incredible consistency and excitement that translated into real momentum that led to Nintendo/Sakurai paying attention.

It proves it's doable to overcome irrelevance, but only with the absolute most uphill of battles and near constant effort on the support of a very wide reaching fan base.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Feel like, assuming the series continues, that Akira is a likely bet for Smash 6 whenever that it. For now though this kinda stings. Felt like a lay up for a 1st party DLC pick and even though I didn't like the game that much(Struggled with the combat a bit) I'm still a little bummed he/she is out. Was hoping for at least 1 or 2 first parties in and that takes a bit of a hit today

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
One thing I'll say about K. Rool's relevance is that he may have been unused for 10 years, but he was really only absent from two games in his franchise up to that point. DKC was in a rather large hiatus up until that point and I'm almost positive his absence in DKCR and Tropical Freeze was intentional because Retro wanted to do something their way rather than conform to a series tradition. I think relevancy matters, but largely on a series basis rather than a time wise basis.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
-I'm a fan of, I played most of their games, usually completed 100%:
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ultfalcon::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmetaknight::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss:

-Played only one or some games, but I completed the games I played (if possible), or simply I played them a lot:
:ultalph::ultcloud::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt:(sadly on a famiclone):ultfalco::ultfox::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers:(still famiclone):ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultisabelle::ultjigglypuff::ultkrool::ultlucario::ultmegaman::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultvillager::ultvillagerf::ultwario:(I'm a fan of Warioland but I don't like Wario Ware, D.I.Y. is the only exception because of the editor):ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm::ultwolf:

-I played them but just a little, I'm still not very familiar with their franchise regardless:
:ultlittlemac::ultgnw:(I'm not sure but I think I played one of those remake collections on more recent consoles or something):ultryu::ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter:

-I know them only but I never played their games
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta1::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ulthero::ultike::ultjoker::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultness::ultrob::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultsnake::ult_terry:(it's possible I played a King of Fighters game for like 3 seconds, but it doesn't count).

EDIT: I put all the characters and their variants, but I mean their franchises, not the specific characters. For example, I played Mario Kart DS with ROB but I don't count ROB as "I played one of his games". The other way, I played a Pokèmon game, but it was an old one on GBA and Lucario/Incineroar weren't in; though I got an idea of how the Pokèmon franchise works and how the game's universe is, so I put them in the "game played" category.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Honestly, I don't think K. Rool ever lost relevance in people's eyes, Nintendo just weirdly stopped using him. A lot of people noticed when he disappeared and very vocally told Nintendo for years they wanted him back: DKC is a pretty nostalgic franchise for a ton of people, and to those people getting rid of K. Rool is like getting rid of Bowser.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think relevancy matters, but largely on a series basis rather than a time wise basis.
That sounds like a fan rule to me.

I know K. Rool got in because of fan demand. But the point I'm trying to get across is that people legitimately believed K. Rool was never gonna happen. Same with Ridley. Same with Pichu. Same with a bunch of things. Sakurai has duped all of you. At this point no one is off the table. Well, except non-video game characters.

To this day people are still arguing that this or that can't happen because of some rule the fans made.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
One thing I'll say about K. Rool's relevance is that he may have been unused for 10 years, but he was really only absent from two games in his franchise up to that point. DKC was in a rather large hiatus up until that point and I'm almost positive his absence in DKCR and Tropical Freeze was intentional because Retro wanted to do something their way rather than conform to a series tradition. I think relevancy matters, but largely on a series basis rather than a time wise basis.
Retro was more or less told not to use the Kremlings by Miyamoto and Tanabe and to come up with something new.
"So, this is something we talked about fairly early on with Miyamoto San. What are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? We thought about it and we said, 'does he really need to? Why don't we we just come up with something completely new? And this time, make sure there are no crocodiles in there.' So that's when I asked Retro to come up with some fresh new ideas, and that's when they came up with this new enemy concept of the Tiki."

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm not sure the game holds up too well in today's standards. IIRC it does the thing lots of old RPGs do where they want you to go somewhere specific but don't even hint at where that is
If you're reviewing a 26-year old game with modern standards, you shouldn't even be a critic.
Man, that sucks. Pretty sure we'll be seeing Three Houses slaughtered soon, and after this and RE who knows who'll get axed next. 'Tis a dark day, this one.
There's definitely a strange divide in which a portion of the Smash fandom is convinced that we're going to stay the course of third parties from here on out, and another that seems to believe that future DLC will be all based around fan fulfillment and will involve numerous upgrades... which seems forced to say the least and a bit misguided considering even if upgrades become a thing (which I myself have started to back slide on into believing we might not be getting any to be honest), I doubt we'd see many. It just doesn't seem like it fits with literally anything Sakurai, Reggie, Furukawa, or Nintendo as a whole have voiced about Smash in recent history to go such a completely at odds with the past direction.

I'll also say, one of the reasons I'm less keen to say first party DLC personally is just the lack of an oomph in the content we might get with them. Like, I realize you could easily add tons of stuff with any given character, but you could just as easily see someone like Dixie Kong (who I like to be clear, I try to choose characters I like in examples so I'm not actively trying to be "mean" to those fans) come by herself with no additional stages or even music. That additional content, which I know some people rather foolishly discount in my opinion, is a really big part of the game for me and what makes me excited to see new DLC characters in Smash in the first place. It would be so whiplash inducing to go from Terry, who contains 50 songs, 20+ stage cameos, and one of the coolest stages in Smash Bros. history, and a really cool Spirit Board to just like a single character addition.

I just really wanna see content beyond fighters in the future, and my worst case scenario is literally a second wave where stages and such are abandoned and we just go all in on the Character Select Screen.
Implying Dixie couldn't come with a stage and music?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Pretty much am betting against anything that gets a new Spirit at this point in the game bar a Season 3 (which is already assuming we're getting what most would define as a Season 2). RIP Astral Chain, for this game at least.

Also for fun:

Yep:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink::ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultchrom::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultlittlemac::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultduckhunt::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ult_terry:

Own copies of but haven't gotten around to beyond 5 minutes:
:ultlucas::ultshulk::ulthero:

Haven't played their debut game but have played the rest/part of the series:
:ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultgnw::ultwario::ultalph::ultisabelle::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud:

Have played a 5 minute round of:
:ultwiifittrainer:

No:
:ultinkling::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, I think Akira getting spirit'd is just a certain someone trying to eliminate the competition...

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Censor dodging
I feel like the backlash to Corrin (and FE characters as a whole) really hurts a 3H rep's chances. It's a shame because 3H's really deserves a rep compared to Fates which is just an okay FE game imo. I still hope nintendo rep DLC will happen. It would be great to get a pass that gives older requested nintendo characters and some newer ones.
In that case, **** Corrin even more. They really soured the FE side by being a literal advertising tool which broke the last straw on the camel's back that was FE rep oversaturation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In that case, **** Corrin even more. They really soured the FE side by being a literal advertising tool which broke the last straw on the camel's back that was FE rep oversaturation.
They shoulda added Elma as the promo DLC, then Xenoblade would have two characters, people would not be so mad bout all dem Marths, and they could add the 3H character with no fuss, especially if they did take that blowback to heart. Which seems questionable given we got Chrom since then.

But still it would've been better. Xenoblade on Wii U needed more help than FE on 3DS did anyway.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
They shoulda added Elma as the promo DLC, then Xenoblade would have two characters, people would not be so mad bout all dem Marths, and they could add the 3H character with no fuss, especially if they did take that blowback to heart. Which seems questionable given we got Chrom since then.

But still it would've been better. Xenoblade on Wii U needed more help than FE on 3DS did anyway.
Made even worse when part of me still fears Byleth will be the 3H rep, assuming they get one. Another avatar swordie...joy /s

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you're reviewing a 26-year old game with modern standards, you shouldn't even be a critic.
I disagree. Older games may not be able to wow you in the visual department and may lack certain features (like save features), but beyond that a flaw in game design is a flaw in game design, and in my opinion dropping you in a mostly empty world and not telling you how to continue is a flaw in game design.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I feel like the backlash to Corrin (and FE characters as a whole) really hurts a 3H rep's chances. It's a shame because 3H's really deserves a rep compared to Fates which is just an okay FE game imo. I still hope nintendo rep DLC will happen. It would be great to get a pass that gives older requested nintendo characters and some newer ones.
you really think the Japanese give two ****s if us westerners are mad about a character? They are still getting our money anyway. us being butthurt over a FE character isnt gonna stop another one from coming in which I am 100% ok with

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Implying Dixie couldn't come with a stage and music?
Hey, I want Dixie too, plus a bunch of other Nintendo characters. But Eric is talking about brand new series, and with Dixie in particular there's a high chance she won't come with any new music or stages. K. Rool didn't come with any new DK stages, as the existing DKC stages were general and nonspecific enough to get away with it.

We're not guaranteed to get a new stage and music for Nintendo newcomers of a pre-existing series the way we are with third-party characters. As much as I want a Tropical Freeze stage with more music from that game, there's a high chance the Smash team will skip out on developing it and opt for just throwing Dixie in to save on resources. Remember, Corrin was the only Nintendo newcomer of Smash 4 DLC, and the most they got was a remix and rip of Lost in Thoughts All Alone. That isn't as exciting as the Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker, Hero, BK, or Terry treatment.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hey, I want Dixie too, plus a bunch of other Nintendo characters. But Eric is talking about brand new series, and with Dixie in particular there's a high chance she won't come with any new music or stages. K. Rool didn't come with any new DK stages, as the existing DKC stages were general and nonspecific enough to get away with it.

We're not guaranteed to get a new stage and music for Nintendo newcomers of a pre-existing series the way we are with third-party characters. As much as I want a Tropical Freeze stage with more music from that game, there's a high chance the Smash team will skip out on developing it and opt for just throwing Dixie in to save on resources. Remember, Corrin was the only Nintendo newcomer of Smash 4 DLC, and the most they got was a remix and rip of Lost in Thoughts All Alone. That isn't as exciting as the Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker, Hero, BK, or Terry treatment.
All of the fighters pass characters were confirmed to come with music, a stage, and some spirits. Though I suppose there isn't any confirmation that the rest of the DLC characters will.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is probably ARMS's fault. The mentality is that characters should be from series that made some sort of impact. Splatoon definitely did, but ARMS was nothing more than a flash in the pan. I personally would say ARMS is still worthy of a character but that's just because I like the game. I guarantee you we won't see an ARMS character join Smash as a full character. Ever. Not unless the game gets a sequel for some reason.
Ever seems like a bit of a stretch. There are already a few 1st party characters that made no impact in Smash. The barrier for entry for first party characters is a lot lower than it is for 3rd.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
True statement here.

I'll admit, I'm actually unfamiliar with most of the characters in Smash as it is, both first and third parties. Just because I don't know a character directly doesn't mean I won't like them - Ike's one of my favorites, and I've never played a Fire Emblem game. But I will admit that it does make it harder to care about characters you're unfamiliar with as well, especially if the character is from a genre/artstyle you don't really like in the first place or doesn't have a stage/music you find appealing.

I remember back in the Brawl days, I was very against third parties in Smash, with the exception of Sonic considering they had so much history together. Even in the early Sm4sh days, I was still pretty hardline on that. And then we got the DLC.

Now, my #1 most wanted of all time is a third-party, and kinda in the same boat as Terry - really not talked about at all, despite having a huge legacy on its own...just not in terms of the Smash fanbase.

Have played a main-series game from them:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultyoshi::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultpacman::ultpiranha:
Have only played spin-offs with them:
:ultbowser::ultwario::ultvillager::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultisabelle:
Do not know them outside Smash:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultsnake::ultike::ultlucas::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultrob::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultincineroar::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:
I know that I've always been one to stick with what I know most of all, so I expected I'd have a pretty low rate of experiencing the characters first-hand. Still, there are some characters I've never played outside of Smash that I like and some I don't.
I just really need this rollercoaster to end...
Not to brag, but the only character whose game (s) I haven't played is :ultroy:'s. I haven't finished Path of Radiance yet either.

I like me some Nintendo, what can I say?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom