• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think it’s safe to say if a direct happens this week, they won’t cover TMS Encore as it drops literally this week. They might at least give a XCDE release date, which if that leak is true it’s most likely May 29.
Tbf Nintendo HAS pulled that before, the Star Allies DLC was announced a week before launch
But January is sooooo empty!

*Pokemon Direct happens and Tokyo Mirage Sessions releases*

Soooooo empty! Where's the news, Nintendo!

TBH it would be a lot more accurate if people said that there hasn't been any news that interests them specifically rather than try to say Nintendo isn't doing anything at all.
Ok but who ACTUALLY cares about TMS? It managed to push SMT fans away and Fire Emblem fans away

KillerCage

Smash Master
BlazBlue x Guilty Gear confirmed...sort of.
A step in the right direction, but I will still wait of that Blazblue X Guilty Gear fighting game crossover.
Okay so wanting to change the topic a bit and with a question I wanted to ask the community for a bit. This might get buried.

With more fighters being announced, would you want to see the Sakurai Presents continuing or not? And if so would you change anything of it?

For me of course I would want them continuing but I would make them snappier and cause why not I would like to see a guest related to the character.
For example with Joker, Katsura Hashino or Hero, Yuji Horii. I think that would make it slightly more interesting to watch,
I want the Sakurai Presents to continue just to see his love for gaming.
The only thing I would remove is the classic mode showcase (that was a pace killer for Terry's presentation.)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think it’s safe to say if a direct happens this week, they won’t cover TMS Encore as it drops literally this week. They might at least give a XCDE release date, which if that leak is true it’s most likely May 29.
At most they might spend 10 seconds on it to announce the Joker costume that leaked and remind us that "Hey, TMS is coming out!" and that's all. There isn't any real reason to focus on it specifically.

XBCD is definitely getting a spotlight, it's one of their big releases this year. Hoping for a good release date on that one, as I'm excited to try it.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

TBH it would be a lot more accurate if people said that there hasn't been any news that interests them specifically rather than try to say Nintendo isn't doing anything at all.
If there's one constant with Nintendo fans that I've noticed, it's that if it doesn't appeal to you, it didn't happen and therefore it's part of an ongoing drought of information/game releases.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tbf Nintendo HAS pulled that before, the Star Allies DLC was announced a week before launch

Ok but who ACTUALLY cares about TMS? It managed to push SMT fans away and Fire Emblem fans away
Did it tho? Or was it just because the Wii U was an utter ****ing catastrophe. I've heard a lot of good about the game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did it tho? Or was it just because the Wii U was an utter ****ing catastrophe. I've heard a lot of good about the game.
I’d say it was because the Wii U was a literal sinking ship.
IT ALSO SCREWED MY BABY, XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X, OVER... please make a Definitive Edition of that after XC1 pls Nintendo

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

But I don't care about Pokémon nor Tokyo Mirage Sessions encore, so therefore the month is empty!

If it doesn't appeal specifically to me, it might as well just not exist.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Definitely because the Wii U in 2016 was already a sunken ship and it was a niche game on an even more niche console that wasn't exactly what people were expecting at the time. The Switch has a much better JRPG crowd given its abundance of such titles, is over 4 times as successful, and people have largely gotten over the reality of Tokyo Mirage Sessions being what it is, so I think it'll do considerably better this time around and does seem to be exciting some people. Especially since it's probably the closest we'll get to Persona from the look of things.

MooMew64

It has it's fans. TBH, it isn't a bad game at all, they just set expectations for it horribly. They should not have announced it as a FE X SMT game when apparently, it was so early in development that they hadn't even gotten started with conceptual phases yet, and when they did, the crossover fell through and they changed the plan completely.

If there's one constant with Nintendo fans that I've noticed, it's that if it doesn't appeal to you, it didn't happen and therefore it's part of an ongoing drought of information/game releases.
Didn't you know? Nintendo only makes Smash. Other franchises exist only to fuel Smash. Every time a Nintendo employee so much as sneezes, it's a sign of a Smash reveal.

Just Smash

Only Smash

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It has it's fans. TBH, it isn't a bad game at all, they just set expectations for it horribly. They should not have announced it as a FE X SMT game when apparently, it was so early in development that they hadn't even gotten started with conceptual phases yet, and when they did, the crossover fell through and they changed the plan completely.

Didn't you know? Nintendo only makes Smash. Other franchises exist only to fuel Smash. Every time a Nintendo employee so much as sneezes, it's a sign of a Smash reveal.

Just Smash

Only Smash
The advertising for TMS’s Wii U version didn’t help either

DJ Master Seal... just WHY

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So Animal Crossing will be featured in Nintendo Dream Magazine on the 21st.

Hopefully this means a direct before that date.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Lowkey loving the salt form the TheJWittz's 10 characters I don't want in Smash. I read several comments before watching the video and it made it out to see like he was burning characters on the stake for dumb reasons. Then I watch the video and his points were basically, "I don't really care if the character gets into Smash despite liking them and their games, so I don't really want them" or "I just don't see how they'd work super well in Smash, so I'm less keen to get them."

Such an innocent opinion video causing so much salt. It's glorious lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've heard someone describe the situation as "people were super excited for a crossover between Shin Migame Tensei and Fire Emblem and then were disappointing when the game didn't really use much of either series".

Based on that my impression is that it was a good game that doesn't benefit from being a crossover at all due to how unique it is, causing the fans it was marketed to to get kinda miffed when the game wasn't what they expected.

I personally stopped caring when I heard there wasn't going to be any English audio.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Ehh, I could see them having it there despite that. Just earlier I saw a report about how there might be costume for Joker Frompersonafive in the game, and I could see them pointing that out.

I.D.

Smash Lord
TBH it would be a lot more accurate if you people could just stop making **** up.

Here's my original post which kickstarted this whole thing:
I just want to mention that I feel it's pretty ridiculous that it's been well over a full year since the season pass was originally announced, that we are like a month away from the deadline and we still don't know the full contents of this thing.
Why yes, I do think it's pretty ****ing absurd that Nintendo drags its feet for 15 (fifteen) months to reveal 5 characters. Even more egregious when at some point they supposedly patted themselves on the back for being ahead of schedule only to end up pushing all the way to the very end of their original deadline. AND they obviously don't even care how finished a character is before revealing them, as exemplified by Joker and Terry.

Here's some things I didn't say and therefore are completely unrelated:
-Nintendo isn't revealing anything!
-Nintendo should reveal all characters at once!
-Sakurai should have warned me to not buy the pass if I didn't like the characters!
-This January is empty!
-*insert here any other epic sarcastic quips meant to misrepresent and make your opponent look silly and childish*

If you people love this abnormally long and inconsistent reveal period for a relatively small number of characters more power to you. I'll stick to my original post and repeat that after this season pass is done I hope it doesn't take Nintendo 15 months to reveal another 5 characters.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

This was posted earlier already.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
TBH it would be a lot more accurate if you people could just stop making **** up.

Why yes, I do think it's pretty ****ing absurd that Nintendo drags its feet for 15 (fifteen) months to reveal 5 characters. Even more egregious when at some point they supposedly patted themselves on the back for being ahead of schedule only to end up pushing all the way to the very end of their original deadline. AND they obviously don't even care how finished a character is before revealing them, as exemplified by Joker and Terry.

-Sakurai should have warned me to not buy the pass if I didn't like the characters!
-This January is empty!
-*insert here any other epic sarcastic quips meant to misrepresent and make your opponent look silly and childish*

If you people love this abnormally long and inconsistent reveal period for a relatively small number of characters more power to you. I'll stick to my original post and repeat that after this season pass is done I hope it doesn't take Nintendo 15 months to reveal another 5 characters.
I don't think people were actively criticizing you personally and were just more making fun of Nintendo fans in general, who are a particularly difficult to please bunch.

And I mean, again, this is one of the most consistent DLC seasons I've ever seen for Nintendo and one of the most straightforward ones in gaming. Sure, the reveals have been maybe paced a little poorly but the releases of a character roughly every 2-3 months has been pretty damn solid and like I mentioned earlier, they gave us a lot of great information up front to keep our expectations in line.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Lowkey loving the salt form the TheJWittz's 10 characters I don't want in Smash. I read several comments before watching the video and it made it out to see like he was burning characters on the stake for dumb reasons. Then I watch the video and his points were basically, "I don't really care if the character gets into Smash despite liking them and their games, so I don't really want them" or "I just don't see how they'd work super well in Smash, so I'm less keen to get them."

But Eric, you don't understand!!!1!

Any detractor of the character(s) I support is an infidel and must be burned at the stake!

WE MUST PURIFY ALL OF THE NONBELIEVERS!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
But Eric, you don't understand!!!1!

Any detractor of the character(s) I support is an infidel and must be burned at the stake!

WE MUST PURIFY ALL OF THE NONBELIEVERS!
Ah yes, the nonbelievers must be cleansed for their *checks note* love of Super Mario RPG and enjoyment of Geno but not wanting him in Smash that much...

Wait, did I read that right? Are we seriously criticizing people for enjoying stuff and not wanting them in Smash and stating as much in a clearly fun video?

Oh no... this is the worst fan timeline...

MooMew64

-This January is empty!

I'm just goofing around lol.

I mean, yeah, seeing the characters sooner would be neat, but it's really not that big a deal. They'll come when they come.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Idk dude I thought this was pretty dope and still is today:
With music like that how can you not be epi-Wait is that the Monado?!?

EDIT: Reminds me of when I was thinking about a what if scenario in which Amiibo allowed you to play as various characters such as Samus and the Star Fox crew. Also, I just imagined Olimar carrying a longsword. lol

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ah yes, the nonbelievers must be cleansed for their *checks note* love of Super Mario RPG and enjoyment of Geno but not wanting him in Smash that much...

Wait, did I read that right? Are we seriously criticizing people for enjoying stuff and not wanting them in Smash and stating as much in a clearly fun video?

Oh no... this is the worst fan timeline...
Most Geno supporters in 2020 haven't played SMRPG. Of this I am convinced. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A little of column A, little of column B. The game suffered out the gate because it was so wildly different to what was teased but if it was available to a wider audience maybe more people would have given it a chance.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean I don't think it's unreasonable to wish for more consistency in the reveal schedule. Consistency is a pretty objectively good thing.

Like, looking at the reveal calendar is pretty telling.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean I don't think it's unreasonable to wish for more consistency in the reveal schedule. Consistency is a pretty objectively good thing.

Like, looking at the reveal calendar is pretty telling.
The release schedule is more important than the reveal schedule though I feel like, and that has been consistent.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Not to mention the censorship pissed off a lot of people, and the censored version of TMS is being used for the global Switch port. I never played the game myself, but I can understand why fans, especially the Japanese who didn't get the censored version on the Wii U, would be upset.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/06/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-encore-censorship/

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Watch that its just an 30 minute Animal Crossing Direct.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I think I'm going to check out TMS on Switch this time. I was still burned on how it ended up looking nothing like the teaser for it from way back then, so I skipped it on Wii U, but I've heard good things and will give it a second chance.

Plus, from what I've seen, it does "characters text each other in-game" way more authentically than Persona 5 did, which is charming. Plus, Katsura Hashino doesn't look like he has anything to do with it, so that's a plus.

Edit:

Not to mention the censorship pissed off a lot of people, and the censored version of TMS is being used for the global Switch port. I never played the game myself, but I can understand why fans, especially the Japanese who didn't get the censored version on the Wii U, would be upset.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/09/06/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-encore-censorship/
lmao are people still pissed they removed the """vagina bones""" of a teenage girl?

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
lmao are people still pissed they removed the """vagina bones""" of a teenage girl?
Are you seriously trying to defend censorship? It's the principle that's the issue. Japanese developers wanted to create a game that suited their vision, and westerners tarnished it. There is no excuse for this. If you get triggered by fictional characters looking attractive, then video games aren't for you.

D

Deleted member

Content wise, I never enjoyed "here's who I don't want" material. Always invites a bitter time and that thumbnail wasn't pulling me in.

Otherwise, eh. I just didn't watch past the first couple of seconds.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The release schedule is more important than the reveal schedule though I feel like, and that has been consistent.
Even that isn't the most consistent thing (three months between Joker and Hero, five weeks between Hero and Banjo, two months between Banjo and Terry, presumably three months between Terry and Five). Though it has been more consistent than reveals, yes.

However, I wouldn't undersell the value of the reveal schedule either. Both are very important, otherwise Nintendo would've just said who is included up front. By keeping the character identities a secret, they're placing more value on the reveals.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Are you seriously trying to defend censorship? It's the principle that's the issue. Japanese developers wanted to create a game that suited their vision, and westerners tarnished it. There is no excuse for this. If you get triggered by fictional characters looking attractive, then video games aren't for you.
Let him be, the slippery slope will catch up sooner or later.

The game probably would have done better if it was marketed as Persona X Fire Emblem instead of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire emblem.

Because that's what the game is, everything from what I've seen just screams that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have the perfect dril tweet for this but I'm trying to tone down my more asshole-y remarks **** me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom