• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You know...I think we need an actual DLC fighter. One that's unique, brings character, multiple forms, musical

Toxtricity

And that's enough to make the Pokemon haters mad :troll:
Dat ain't Cinderace.
I like both Pokemon, but I do have a few doubts about Sakurai choosing them if we did get a SwSh Pokemon.

Toxtricity has a cool design, but as far as fighting in a game like Smash, I don't think it's what Sakurai is looking for. It doesn't really have any features in its design (claws, sharp teeth, arms designed for punching, legs designed for kicking), or some type of fighting theme, and those are things Sakurai seems to be looking for (as seen by Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar). At the risk of upsetting someone, I think Toxtricity is a popular Pokemon who would work better as a Pokeball Pokemon like Mimikyu.

Cinderace is my favorite starter, but I think Sakurai would be worried about adding the fire type starter two games in a row, even if it does seem to be getting more promotion than the other two at the moment. Plus, I'm tired of starters getting in Smash. It's really restricting, and lots of other unique and unorthodox Pokemon get skipped over one that's extremely simple and easy to picture in Smash. That's not necessarily something that I think Sakurai cares about, but I'd prefer he take a chance like he did with Lucario.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I sorta respect Vergeben for giving a list of companies. Leakers often make their leaks vague, so they have a safety net in case they're wrong. But this list is specific and to the point. Verge being credible is a different matter entirely, but I appreciate him being specific.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Admittedly speaking, most of the companies/characters Vergeben put down as a list are ones that likely wouldn't have made the initial pass anyways. It's a different matter Post-Pass though.

I'm still a bit skeptical but the list there are ones I can see happening more Post-Pass than FP5.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Nothing against Arle, but I wouldn't count on it. I remember Sakurai getting annoyed once, because people kept interpreting his tweets as hints. It would be silly if he actually started tweeting hints after that.View attachment 256583
Please tell this to PapaGenos.

His willing of Arle and Daisy Theory over conspiracy level tweets is getting really tiring to witness, and people are actually buying it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Daisy theory is ridiculous.

Arle could happen, of course, but there's really no evidence anyway that she's likely.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
and lots of other unique and unorthodox Pokemon get skipped over one that's extremely simple and easy to picture in Smash
Thinking Mimikyu is better as a Poke Ball is an example of skipping over something more unique.
but I'd prefer he take a chance like he did with Lucario.
It would be more of a gamble to go with Empoleon/Infernape than Lucario.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

His willing of Arle and Daisy Theory over conspiracy level tweets is getting really tiring to witness, and people are actually buying it.
The annoying thing about something like Daisy Theory, is that it can end up being ""right"". What I mean by that is that people can just find some way to link FP5 to a flower, and the theory would be proven, thus paving the way for another far-fetched theory.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Thinking Mimikyu is better as a Poke Ball is an example of skipping over something more unique.
I'm not saying Mimikyu wouldn't have been more unique. I just never really considered it as likely as people thought it was. Promotion is only half of the puzzle. The Pokemon has to have a design that would work in Smash, and while I'm sure Sakurai could've made it work, it would be difficult, or at least more than Incineroar, Decidueye, and Lycanroc (mainly Midnight, but the other two as well).

It would be more of a gamble to go with Empoleon/Infernape than Lucario.
Lucario was absolutely a huge gamble at the time.

Starter Pokemon will eventually fade away, but they'll never completely be irrelevant. The same can't be said for any Pokemon that isn't a starter or a boxart Legendary. Lucario barely made it, and if it weren't for the movie and the glimpse of popularity Sakurai saw before finalizing the decision, it may have not made the cut. Even then, there was no guarantee it's popularity would stay. Game Freak decided to cash in on its popularity, and it just so happened to stick after all these years.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
So here's a possibly fun game thing for characters you want, if they got in what sorts of things would you want to see in their trailer? Specify if it would be part of the pre-rendered movie, or a skit done with in-game footage.
Doomguy:
Movie: Samus and Ridley in a fight with Samus getting launched into oblivion. She's cornered, but Doomguy jumps in front of her and blasts Ridley away.
Skits: Doomguy blasting Ridleys of different sizes on Lylat Cruise, Doomguy looking up at the monster on Brinstar Depths, Doomguy on any map protecting Pichu, and a shot of Doomguy, Joker, ZSS, Fox, Wolf, Falco, Bayonetta, and Inkling all shooting in different directions.
Also for all the talk of Crash Bandicoot, if Crash gets in I want a Mii Fighter costume of the old Crash ad costume.
https://i.imgur.com/Swifg9b.gif
Don't even give us Crash, just this costume.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

Hes literally just speculating and stating it as such. Thats literally what you do every time you post something in here.

Why dont you worry about yourself

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
At the same time he's pretty obsessed with Arle lately and youtubers can never just admit they really like the character but insteaf need to push conspiracies
I dont understand what the problem is when he says, "this is a theory i have" instead of passing it off as fact.

yall want New york Times level reporting for theories about a kids videogame.

let him do what he wants

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I dont understand what the problem is when he says, "this is a theory i have" instead of passing it off as fact.

let him do what he wants
The problem is people going "Oh no El Grande Padre di Jenos is SUPER smart and won't clickbait because he makes sure it isn't bull****!" yet pulls clickbaity **** like this. Just saying that his audience would be less interested in "I like Arle I hope she's in" but rather "Here's why Arle is in"

D

Deleted member

Papagenos literally just covers Smashboards theories and speculates his opinion on them. He fully admits to being biased and not trusting Verge's deconfirm list. It's literally no different than what I see on here--only he's not an ass about speculation, which goes a long way for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd be down for just about any Gen 8 Pokemon.

But mostly Falinks. I think there's a lot that can be done with the whole "actually 6 Pokemon" thing it has going.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Papagenos literally just covers Smashboards theories and speculates his opinion on them. He fully admits to being biased and not trusting Verge's deconfirm list. It's literally no different than what I see on here--only he's not an ass about speculation, which goes a long way for him.
Plus, he'll talk about what people are saying in his Discord server, regardless of whether he believes it or not, because the viewers who are there are quite literally asking for that coverage.

I swear, it's like people don't understand how content production works.

D

Deleted member

The problem is people going "Oh no El Grande Padre di Jenos is SUPER smart and won't clickbait because he makes sure it isn't bull****!" yet pulls clickbaity **** like this. Just saying that his audience would be less interested in "I like Arle I hope she's in" but rather "Here's why Arle is in"
I literally never hear people praising Papagenos for not clickbaiting and being right 100%. (Dude believed in the Grinch leak; no one backs him as a reliable leaker.)

He's literally just a glorified leak discussion channel in practice, and that can be appealing when your only other alternative is LaxChris or... Smashboards.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I literally never hear people praising Papagenos for not clickbaiting and being right 100%. (Dude believed in the Grinch leak; no one backs him as a reliable leaker.)

He's literally just a glorified leak discussion channel in practice, and that can be appealing when your only other alternative is LaxChris or... Smashboards.
Most of his stans here have told me that so I don't really have much else to judge on

D

Deleted member

Most of his stans here have told me that so I don't really have much else to judge on
Take it from someone who puts his videos on as background noise and to review what's current: Those people are the sort who would kiss the ground someone like Fatman walks on and shouldn't encompass Papa as a content creator.

E: My point was more the issue is with Papa's following, but not Papa himself. Chances are, Papa being a better outlet wouldn't stop his fanbase from overselling him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To put it bluntly, no leaker/speculator should have the ground they walked on kissed.

That's ridiculous. And why leak culture sucks. Too many who think being extreme about it is a good idea.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm getting old, what the crap is a "stan"?

All I'm getting in my head is the Grunkle from Gravity Falls.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
So here's a possibly fun game thing for characters you want, if they got in what sorts of things would you want to see in their trailer? Specify if it would be part of the pre-rendered movie, or a skit done with in-game footage.

Doom Slayer:
Movie: First person fight with Ridley and demons.
Skits: Punching ROB and taking a crate, defending a bunny-eared Daisy from an attack.

Phoenix Wright.
Movie: Phoenix getting charges dropped in various games. Isle Delfino vs Mario? Dropped. Onett Police vs Ness? Dropped.
Skits: Phoenix doing his OBJECTION! move, but then everyone gets hit with the POW effect as some uses the DK Hammer as a gavel. Phoenix pointing Captain Falcon from Pit to Dark Pit.

Geno.
Movie: Classic Mario v Bowser battle atop Bowser's castle, Peach cheering on Mario, when a massive sword drops through.
Skits: Geno fighting against Wario, Bowser then throws Mario at Wario. Geno freed from DK's grasp by Peach and her frying pan.
Dante:
Movie: Bayonetta, Pit, and the Belmont’s are fighting off enemies from their respective games. They start to get overwhelmed. Pit says, “I hope your friend shows up soon! This is getting crazy!” We hear a distant “Yahooo!” Dante rain storms in from the sky, landing in style. Bayo says, “Took you long enough!” Dante turns and winks at her. “Let’s get this party started!” Exclaims Dante.
Skits: Joker and Dante rain storm. Bayo and Dante air combos. Dante activates devil trigger and scares off Lucas or something. Dante royal guards Lyn (Vergil). Something something pizza. Million Stab with a sword fighter. There’s more ideas I have, but I’m lazy lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Stalker and fan, basically people obsessed beyond belief
So it's a gender neutral term for a fanboy? Good to know

A part of me thought it may have been a Jojo reference.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Hes literally just speculating and stating it as such. Thats literally what you do every time you post something in here.

Why dont you worry about yourself
It just so happens that he is parading this “speculation” as something really likely, even though it has been proven with the Rathalos image that they mean absolutely nothing.

People are actually thinking that Arle was flat out hinted at because of him, even though that wasn’t the case, and he is doing his absolute best to will her into the game through straw grasping.

D

Deleted member

It just so happens that he is parading this “speculation” as something really likely, even though it has been proven with the Rathalos image that they mean absolutely nothing.

People are actually thinking that Arle was flat out hinted at because of him, even though that wasn’t the case, and he is doing his absolute best to will her into the game through straw grasping.
It's like he has opinions about speculation and is laying them out, like what you did today with Dante. Whether people believe him or disagree with him is entirely up to them.

Hell, you can probably talk to him if you don't disagree with him. He has a Smashboards account, a twitter, a YouTube comment section, and a discord account. Go take it up with him.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Papagenos' success is pretty self-explanatory, he essentially has a market to himself. A lot of people play Smash and have at least some interest in seeing some sort of character join the battle. However, not everyone has the time to get on the ground, do research, and directly add to the discussion themselves. As such, they need some sort of second-hand source to keep them up to date and translate the arguments into layman's terms. For this, there's basically two options: LaxChris and Papagenos.

LaxChris is, if I can be blunt, kinda bad at his job. Dude reports on nearly every rumor, regardless of whether they have a leg to stand on or not. Following LaxChris may be a decent introduction to Smash Speculation, but after covering 7 interchangable Greentext leaks back to back, his schtick can get boring pretty quickly. Papagenos on the other hand, only really covers leaks and ideas that have some of reasonable evidence behind them, such as coming from someone who has been right in the past or having a picture or video to back things up. He's honestly a great way of figuring out what's happening without having to go to Smashboards or /v/ yourself.

Plus, Papagenos is ultimately a pretty likeable dude. You could argue that this really shouldn't matter, but it does for quite a few people. There's a reason the beer test is a thing, people are more open to ideas from charming and friendly people. He's pretty laid-back in his videos and is pretty good at staying away from divisive drama. Really, the worst you could say about him is he tends to upsell certain ideas he likes, but I'm pretty sure that's something we all do. He just has a much bigger microphone, so it's far more noticeable when he engages in that type of behaviour.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

let him do what he wants
He has continued to push a narrative that Arle is the frontrunner, while conveniently ignoring the fact that Sakurai himself has said his Tweets aren’t hints, and that he is careful on what he Tweets. If he wants Arle, thats fine, but he is pushing this narrative that the Tweets are actually hints, and Arle supporters are taking it and running with it. (Even after the Arle deconfirmation)

And FYI, I stop taking arguments seriously when they unironically use the word “yall”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom