• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
Crono
Movie: A forest area kind of like Guardia Forest. Fighters get trapped or something... I don't know I just want Crono.
Skits: Cortez and Crono pose together because they are time travelling buddies... That's all I got.
How about Lucas in the final battle with the Masked Man and Porky, then Crono shows up and grabs Lucas, they time travel back to save Lucas' mom, causing Claus to not become the Masked Man. Then Crono meets Solid Snake, time travels, meets Naked Snake, gets confused. Looks down to see Cereza from Bayonetta clinging to his leg.

Game skit: Crono posing with ROB in his yellow color scheme, and Prince of Sable who turns into a frog and hops away. Mewtwo floats past holding a scythe, Crono chases after.

Also need one clip of Crono posing with the four Heroes since they all have the same art-daddy.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So here's a possibly fun game thing for characters you want, if they got in what sorts of things would you want to see in their trailer? Specify if it would be part of the pre-rendered movie, or a skit done with in-game footage.

Doom Slayer:
Movie: First person fight with Ridley and demons.
Skits: Punching ROB and taking a crate, defending a bunny-eared Daisy from an attack.

Phoenix Wright.
Movie: Phoenix getting charges dropped in various games. Isle Delfino vs Mario? Dropped. Onett Police vs Ness? Dropped.
Skits: Phoenix doing his OBJECTION! move, but then everyone gets hit with the POW effect as some uses the DK Hammer as a gavel. Phoenix pointing Captain Falcon from Pit to Dark Pit.

Geno.
Movie: Classic Mario v Bowser battle atop Bowser's castle, Peach cheering on Mario, when a massive sword drops through.
Skits: Geno fighting against Wario, Bowser then throws Mario at Wario. Geno freed from DK's grasp by Peach and her frying pan.
I just thought of a funny trailer skit for Rex immediately after I posted my previous response:

A scene where Rex tries to reach a green Zelda on Bridge of Eldin, but then the bridge between them gets destroyed.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In the case of Arle Naja, I find her very unlikely not just because of what Verge said but also due to the fact that all the Sega Mii Costumes returned already with Joker & Terry. If Arle was apart of the Pass, it'd almost be a gurantee that those Sonic Mii Costumes would have returned with her and not Joker, an Atlus character.

That being said though, i'd wager she has a good shot after the Pass. Being the front-runner for a Sega character and all.

D

Deleted member

In the case of Arle Naja, I find her very unlikely not just because of what Verge said but also due to the fact that all the Sega Mii Costumes returned already with Joker & Terry. If Arle was apart of the Pass, it'd almost be a gurantee that those Sonic Mii Costumes would have returned with her and not Joker, an Atlus character.

That being said though, i'd wager she has a good shot after the Pass. Being the front-runner for a Sega character and all.
Given that Banjo came with unrelated costumes, Terry came with 2 unrelated returning costumes and Hero came with new costumes, I don't think the costumes give any indication as to what to expect next.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I wouldn't say that means much. Look at Banjo's costumes. They barely make much sense without stretching it quite a bit. The logic is not easy to get. It could've even been some costumes they found to not fit well in anywhere else.

The best you could have for Banjo's is "mascots" and seriously stretching it for Team Rocket being one male and one female, just like the duo. They're not even a "team" thing either.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't say that means much. Look at Banjo's costumes. They barely make much sense without stretching it quite a bit. The logic is not easy to get. It could've even been some costumes they found to not fit well in anywhere else.
The fact that Banjo got no alt costumes is a shame. Should've gave him the tux or sunglasses or both

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So Arc System Works revealed a massive crossover action platformer called Code Shifter.

Just for the Kunio fans, his relevance will never stop.
Abobo was all I needed to see to have my interest. I also noticed this is the first time Guilty Gear and Blazblue crossed together.

SKX31

Smash Master
Juggernaut (Dota 2)
Movie: A recreation of the first Dota 2 trailer, but with Smash characters instead. Juggernaut making his appearance by attempting to gank someone (preferably Meta Knight)
Skits: Juggernaut showing off Blade Fury to Link and Mii Swordfighter after they've used Spin Attack and Hero's Spin. Juggernaut staring with implied confusion at Kirby wearing his mask. A battle between Juggernaut and Meta Knight ending with Juggernaut's Final Smash.
Hey, great to see another Dota 2 player! Really rare around here - but why wouldn't Juggernaut gank / face off against Cloud? :4pacman: Nah, just kidding, Meta Knight's a pretty great choice for opponent.

The best you could have for Banjo's is "mascots" and seriously stretching it for Team Rocket being one male and one female, just like the duo. They're not even a "team" thing either.
I'm thinking that it's costumes that didn't fit anywhere else. I strongly doubt Microsoft would opt for either Minecraft or Halo costumes, not when they probably know how Sakurai thinks on the matter (if anything, Steve and Chief are both possible character material down the line). Ori is a wonky fit costume-wise, as are many B-K characters - IMHO they're likewise wonky to fit on Mii bodies (the only natural fit I can think of is Mumbo. Grunty could perhaps work, but that's not many to go on). The only ones I can be confident in are Mumbo and Battletoads. So yeah, not a lot.

Also:

The China exclusive - Rabbids Adventure Party - deserves extra mention, since here comes a small PSA: Official Chinese games like the Rabbids game can't be played on standard Switches, you need a Chinese Switch or modded Switch with dumped ROMs to do so*. Chinese games / Switch boxes have text and a blue section signifying it's the official Chinese versions. So if any of you are going to vacation or anything in China for a while, then it might be best to buy grey market games via the internet (they're surprisingly common in official Chinese storefronts) or buy via the standard eShop.

Unless that Rabbids game gets an international version down the line it's gonna be really difficult for anyone interested.

*(The differences between a standard and Tencent Switch - the Official Chinese version - are based mainly around the Chinese Switch having a modified OS. The only log-in in a Chinese Switch is through a QR code for starters.)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, great to see another Dota 2 player! Really rare around here - but why wouldn't Juggernaut gank / face off against Cloud? :4pacman: Nah, just kidding, Meta Knight's a pretty great choice for opponent.

I'm thinking that it's costumes that didn't fit anywhere else. I strongly doubt Microsoft would opt for either Minecraft or Halo costumes, not when they probably know how Sakurai thinks on the matter (if anything, Steve and Chief are both possible character material down the line). Ori is a wonky fit costume-wise, as are many B-K characters are IMHO likewise wonky to fit on Mii bodies (the only natural fit I can think of is Mumbo. Grunty could perhaps work, but that's not many to go on). The only ones I can be confident in are Mumbo and Battletoads. So yeah, not a lot.

Also:

The China exclusive - Rabbids Adventure Party - deserves extra mention, since here comes a small PSA: Official Chinese games like the Rabbids game can't be played on standard Switches, you need a Chinese Switch or modded Switch with dumped ROMs to do so*. Chinese games / Switch boxes have text and a blue section signifying it's the official Chinese versions. So if any of you are going to vacation or anything in China for a while, then it might be best to buy grey market games via the internet (they're surprisingly common in official Chinese storefronts) or buy via the standard eShop.

Unless that Rabbids game gets an international version down the line it's gonna be really difficult for anyone interested.

*(The differences between a standard and Tencent Switch - the Official Chinese version - are based mainly around the Chinese Switch having a modified OS. The only log-in in a Chinese Switch is through a QR code for starters.)
...I want Rabbid costumes if they're not playable.

And yeah, the "not fit anywhere" works, since Banjo is basically the character who isn't in for their legacy so much as fan demand specifically. Legacy is still there, but it's to a lesser degree. Terry and Hero are clearly legacy as a core part. Joker is hard to say. Seems more related to moveset?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Ubisoft then defies all expectations by making Rayman the final character of the pass, thus destroying the notion that spirits deconfirm characters!

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I thought about Cloud actually, but I wasn't sure if Square-Enix would allow it. But then again, Valve and Square-Enix collaborated on that Chocobo courier and the Moogle wards, so maybe Square-Enix would OK Cloud facing off against Juggernaut.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Nothing against Arle, but I wouldn't count on it. I remember Sakurai getting annoyed once, because people kept interpreting his tweets as hints. It would be silly if he actually started tweeting hints after that.

He was talking about that Chrono Trigger stage builder tweet specifically.

1578693940629.png

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nothing against Arle, but I wouldn't count on it. I remember Sakurai getting annoyed once, because people kept interpreting his tweets as hints. It would be silly if he actually started tweeting hints after that.

View attachment 256583
Got a translation for the text in that tweet?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Reminds me of that picture Sakurai took shortly after Rathalos was revealed that had Link, Marth, and Shulk standing at an angle that was definitely a Golden Sun reference and totally not just an angle that allowed Rathalos to fit in most of the picture.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So here's a possibly fun game thing for characters you want, if they got in what sorts of things would you want to see in their trailer? Specify if it would be part of the pre-rendered movie, or a skit done with in-game footage.

Doom Slayer:
Movie: First person fight with Ridley and demons.
Skits: Punching ROB and taking a crate, defending a bunny-eared Daisy from an attack.

Phoenix Wright.
Movie: Phoenix getting charges dropped in various games. Isle Delfino vs Mario? Dropped. Onett Police vs Ness? Dropped.
Skits: Phoenix doing his OBJECTION! move, but then everyone gets hit with the POW effect as some uses the DK Hammer as a gavel. Phoenix pointing Captain Falcon from Pit to Dark Pit.

Geno.
Movie: Classic Mario v Bowser battle atop Bowser's castle, Peach cheering on Mario, when a massive sword drops through.
Skits: Geno fighting against Wario, Bowser then throws Mario at Wario. Geno freed from DK's grasp by Peach and her frying pan.
  • Captain Syrup
    • Movie: Another sequel to the King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie reveal trailers, with DK, Diddy, K. Rool, and BK all sleeping in DK's house, before being awoken by the sound of explosions. They look out the window to what looks like a pirate lady, only to instead be revealed as Wario wearing a disguise and holding a giant golden banana. Wario begins laughing and taunting them, only for a cannonball to appear over the horizon and hit him, knocking him away. As the "Rare gang" all start panicking, the camera zooms out to reveal a pirate ship bombarding the island with cannonballs, then zooms in to the ship to reveal Captain Syrup as the one behind it all.
    • Skits:
      • Taunting beside Ridley and Toon Link on the Pirate Ship stage
      • King K. Rool chasing Wario for stealing the former's crown, followed by Captain Syrup holding the crown and being chased by Wario and K. Rool
      • A panning shot of Mario, Peach, Luigi, Daisy, Wario (in his overalls), and Syrup all falling in a line.
    • Music: "Final Battle" (Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3)
  • Phoenix Wright / Mia Fey
    • Movie 1: Begins using the same graphics as the original Ace Attorney trilogy with no indication it's a Smash trailer. Maya is on trial yet again, this time charged with the theft of a trophy. The prosecutor, Miles Edgeworth, taunts Wright that this time, this is a case he can't win... only for Wright to confidently disagree before presenting his Smash invitation.
    • Skits:
      • Phoenix Wright taunting next to a red-palette-swapped Falco, appearing as if he's cross examining him.
      • Phoenix Wright attempting to "OBJECTION!" a giant Ganondorf, only for the latter to parry and respond with a forward smash attack.
    • Movie 2: The skits end with Phoenix Wright being KO'd. Cut back to the Ace Attorney graphics, with Wright slumped over on the defense bench and looking defeated... before he starts hearing the voice of his deceased mentor, Mia Fey, telling him not to give up, because he won't have to fight alone this time. Then Wright looks to his side to see Mia Fey standing next to him. He initially sounds relieved that Maya managed to channel Mia... only to look at Maya still on the witness stand and realize that that isn't the case. Mia then points out that, since they're in Smash Bros. now, she no longer needs to be channeled to help Wright, leading in to the reveal of Mia Fey as Phoenix Wright's Echo Fighter.
    • Skits:
      • Peach and Daisy taunting, only for Mia to send them flying with an "OBJECTION!"
    • Music: "Pursuit ~ Cornered" (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney), "Pursuit ~ Caught" (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations)
  • Heihachi Mishima
    • Movie: A sequel to Ken and Incineroar's trailer, this time a tag-team fight with Ryu and Ken against Incineroar and King K. Rool. After the former two send the latter two flying into the jumbotron, the camera cuts to a first person view of an unknown character quickly approaching the boxing ring. As Ryu and Ken do a celebratory fist bump, the unknown character jumps into the ring and reveals themselves as... Pac-Man. Ken questions why Pac-Man entered the ring without a partner. The camera angle then switches to the boxing ring's floor, with a foot stomping down and a voice saying "So this is where you two have been...", with Ryu and Ken turning around before Heihachi assumes his fighting stance and declares "I'm not done with you two yet!"
    • Skits:
      • Heihachi taunting beside Incineroar.
      • Pac-Man doing his Up Taunt and summoning the Heihachi sprite, only to get sent flying by Heihachi's forward smash attack.
      • Heihachi parrying Little Mac's KO punch, then responding with a combo string.
      • Heihachi and Terry taunting, standing opposite Ryu and Ken.
    • Stinger: After winning the fight against Ryu and Ken, Heihachi and Pac-Man notice that someone else has entered the ring. The camera pans to reveal Link. Pac-Man begins approaching, only to be stopped by Heihachi, who says that "This is just between the two of us". As Heihachi and Link start running toward each other, Heihachi remarks that he's been waiting for this fight for years. The clip ends with an overhead shot of the two about to strike each other simultaneously (a reference to the current Bandai Namco logo animation used for Tekken games).
    • Music: "Mishima Dojo" (Tekken 7)

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Totally legit VA leak from Charles Martinet:
https://voca.ro/oSsMPCcHGY1
Holy crap, did you do thIs? This is a honestly a almost prefect Mario impression

View attachment 256583
Still can’t get over that randomly unsourced “Red Eyes” claim Sakurai apperntly said before the August direct

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Then again, we know for a fact there was no Microsoft Mii costumes. Whatever deal was in place didn't include that for whatever reason.

Whereas with Sega, we do know that there was returning Mii Costumes, 4 of which that weren't tied with Arle despite actually being Sega themed. With that in mind, i'm very hard pressed to see her as Fighter 5.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then again, we know for a fact there was no Microsoft Mii costumes. Whatever deal was in place didn't include that for whatever reason.

Whereas with Sega, we do know that there was returning Mii Costumes, 4 of which that weren't tied with Arle despite actually being Sega themed. With that in mind, i'm very hard pressed to see her as Fighter 5.
You make it sound like we can't get other Sega costumes or something.

Really, the closest thing is people thinking we'll have a Pass full of different company characters. Mii costumes don't have consistent rules of any sort. It goes where they can find fit. Besides, Arle could come with a Chocobo Costume and a Geno Costume too, among other options, like other Puzzle games(including more Puyo Pop) costumes. They could throw in costumes from Street Fighter due to the Puzzle Fighter stuff, etc.

The world's actually pretty open for options.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Given that Banjo came with unrelated costumes, Terry came with 2 unrelated returning costumes and Hero came with new costumes, I don't think the costumes give any indication as to what to expect next.
Also sorry I didn't see this.

Terry's theme was Fighting game characters so it did add up. Of course if Arle was on the Pass, it would make sense for those Mii Costumes to come with her in the event of her being Fighter 5 but they didn't. Well more so the Sonic ones but still.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Still can’t get over that randomly unsourced “Red Eyes” claim Sakurai apperntly said before the August direct
Obviously he was referencing Bloody Tears and K Rool instead of his work ethic making him tired.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ooh, I've got loads of ideas for a Dovahkiin trailer.

Rendered scene: looks just like standard Skyrim gameplay with an epic cinematic Dragon kill, then absorb the soul. You start walking off and a courier runs up with the standard "I have a letter for you." Once you get it, open the inventory and look at the new item "Mysterious Letter," then go into inspect mode and flip it over to see the seal in the shape of the Smash logo. Transition to a cinematic of him throwing the letter down and shouting at the camera as the splash screen comes up.

In-game: a few awesome/funny vignettes
  • Dovahkiin posing dramatically on the Skyrim stage, with an aurora in the background
  • Dovahkiin and Link or Simon walking through the underground portion of Paly's Temple or Spear Pillar
  • Attack demonstrations against Charizard
  • Dovahkiin shouts "FUS" at a DovahKirby, which doesn't do much. DovahKirby shouts back "FUS RO DAH!" and KOs him
  • Array of all 8 Dovahkiins, each with different race/gender options, posing on Summit Omega
  • Dovahkiin fighting Rathalos, using several shouts
End of trailer rendered scene: Dovahkiin trudges through the snow up a mountain, then the camera zooms out to show Ridley sitting there, smiling, and then taking off toward him.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You make it sound like we can't get other Sega costumes or something.

Really, the closest thing is people thinking we'll have a Pass full of different company characters. Mii costumes don't have consistent rules of any sort. It goes where they can find fit. Besides, Arle could come with a Chocobo Costume and a Geno Costume too, among other options, like other Puzzle games(including more Puyo Pop) costumes. They could throw in costumes from Street Fighter due to the Puzzle Fighter stuff, etc.

The world's actually pretty open for options.
Yes but don't you think it would make more sense for the Sega-themed costumes to return with the Sega character? Yeah, Joker is owned by Sega by proxy but I would think the actual Sega character would have the returning Mii Costume in the event of being on the Pass.

Note that we're talking about Mii Costumes returning VS any new ones. Yeah, it could happen that Arle is Fighter 5 with her own set of related Mii Costumes but that's pretty unlikely taking everything else in to consideration.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yes but don't you think it would make more sense for the Sega-themed costumes to return with the Sega character? Yeah, Joker is owned by Sega by proxy but I would think the actual Sega character would have the returning Mii Costume in the event of being on the Pass.
They returned with a Sega character. A second Sega character can have other ones. Both would work. I think a better way to look at it is they planned out costumes for all five Fighter's Pass characters at once, and some just won't fit as well as others at times. There's no real pattern. It's whatever they can find works.

Note that we're talking about Mii Costumes returning VS any new ones. Yeah, it could happen that Arle is Fighter 5 with her own set of related Mii Costumes but that's pretty unlikely taking everything else in to consideration.
Are there missing Sega costumes still? I thought they're all there now. If so, why not just new ones? Hell, look at the characters in Puyo Pop. Great spot for ones like Chocobo and Geno, as well as something like Rabbids. They all are fairly cute characters that fit pretty well. That is, if they think it woks out.

Sometimes we're trying too had to fit everything into a pattern when we know there isn't one.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know...I think we need an actual DLC fighter. One that's unique, brings character, multiple forms, musical

Toxtricity

And that's enough to make the Pokemon haters mad :troll:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
They returned with a Sega character. A second Sega character can have other ones. Both would work. I think a better way to look at it is they planned out costumes for all five Fighter's Pass characters at once, and some just won't fit as well as others at times. There's no real pattern. It's whatever they can find works.

Are there missing Sega costumes still? I thought they're all there now. If so, why not just new ones? Hell, look at the characters in Puyo Pop. Great spot for ones like Chocobo and Geno, as well as something like Rabbids. They all are fairly cute characters that fit pretty well. That is, if they think it woks out.

Sometimes we're trying too had to fit everything into a pattern when we know there isn't one.
Good points true but I just can't see Arle likely given all that. I'm going to have to agree to disagree lol.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Good points true but I just can't see Arle likely given all that. I'm going to have to agree to disagree lol.
I never said she was likely. More that Mii costumes have no patterns, so it doesn't really prove anything.

I have little reason to believe she's coming.

KillerCage

Smash Master
On the subject of Dark Souls, I personally still think Artorias would be an amazing DLC character. We don't have any heavy swordies yet. Probably wouldn't be that good competitively, but imagine a character even scarier than Ganondorf... Could be super fun.
Ike would like a word with you or should I say...
...a "sword with you."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Last I checked I thought we stopped relying on vergeben since the multiple reconfirmed company fiasco?
And here I thought cause his DLC stuff hasn't been that reliable.

The fiasco is pretty irrelevant to be frank. He legitimately got told confusing information and re-clarified. If anything, I find him more trustworthy after the company message.

That, and you shouldn't take his word as gospel anyway. No leaker should have that. That's too extreme. Not with somebody who has gotten wrong content in general as is. We know he's been baited at least twice anyway. That's a good reason to simply keep what he says in mind at best. You know?

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
It was a flat out “No” completely unprompted.

No amount of plugging your ears and pulling the “NDA!!” card will magically change this fact. And this is coming from a Chief supporter.

And BTW, the “Vergeben is being leakbaited!!!” argument was used wholeheartedly by Grinch leak believers.

If Vergeben confirmed a fan favorite tomorrow, you all would be screaming “CONFIRMED!!!!” and wildly celebrating, 150%.

But since he has shot down a bunch of fan favorites, nearly all of you have been reaching for every possible straw to try and discredit what he and Sabi have been saying, despite their track records.

This community truly has not learned from the Grinch leak, and likely never will.
Ya know, you definitely have a point, especially how The 150% and Grinch part

But I pretty damn sure a lot of people have givin up on Vergenben

Obviously he was referencing Bloody Tears and K Rool instead of his work ethic making him tired.
Bruh

He don’t doesn’t like people interpreting his tweets as hints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom