• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Who leaked the Pokemon Direct announcement?

Because someone here said that they backed a Direct for the 16th

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Dante being in season 2 seems fair enough though, especially if they announce the second pass there. If it even IS a pass.
If they do a second pass, Dante would be a HUGE deal. A hype bomb that has a similar cult following feel like Joker. Perfect pass opener.

It's seeming like next Thursday makes a lot of sense based on all the maintenance, announcements, precedent, and hints being dropped all around.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hold on, I know another reason we'll have a general direct sooner rather than later.

Check out Nintendo's amiibo lineup. The most recent are Richter/DSamus, and they have a release date on the 17th. Never mind Smash, but we're expected to believe that Nintendo doesn't have any future amiibo? Of course they'll want to get some more on that page with the shiny "Coming soon" tag.

Besides, the announcement of FP5 would be a great place to announce the amiibo of :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::000:; maybe they're all coming in the same wave.
...I really want a Dovahkiin amiibo...

Well, we'll find out next week.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm Miyamoto's estranged son (he left me in the woods after I couldn't beat Mario 64) and I have leaked an important surprise from the Pokemon direct relating to Smash:
Receive a Junichi Masuda spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate™ after you pre-order Pokemon: Great Sword™ and Pokemon: Great Shield™, available for $59.99 each only on Nintendo Switch™.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Besides, the announcement of FP5 would be a great place to announce the amiibo of :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::000:; maybe they're all coming in the same wave.
I can't wait for Hero's amiibo to drop so I can make him do nothing but Command Deck. Hopefully we'll get figures of his alts too.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
...wait, so we got a Pokémon direct?

That's disappointing and hysterical at the same time.

I'm not expecting a Gen whatever mon as FP5 (and I think people would riot if there were), so I guess we'll get another general direct soon after, but definitely not this week. I guess they'll try some Poké-damage control after Dexit - who wants to bet that after all of the "We won't be expanding the Dex!" they come out and say "We've expanded the Dex!" Strange... I never considered Pokémon to have enough to talk about considering Sw/Sh just came out.

...unless they're announcing another game. Pokémon Snap for Switch, by chance?
and keep Growlithe and Arcanine in it please.

Still, with the Richter/DSamus amiibo data missing, Smash needs an update by the 17th at the absolute latest. I just know that, whoever gets announced as FP5, there's going to be even more salt than there was for Bayo and Corrin back in 4. It's looking more likely that they'll maybe do a double reveal for FP5 and whoever comes as post-pass, just to soften the blow.

I'm praying. It's all I can do at this point. The 15th or 16th look like great dates right now, so we'll probably be getting our answer then. And I'm liking the 16th for ...other... announcements for other games...
Well, if they were going to patch in the rest of the Dex ‘mons, they probably would’ve said it well in advance for damage control, given how far in advance they announced that they were making a game for Switch for damage control. If they do decide to do it, they probably would save it for the “ultra” games.

I find it hard to imagine that they’d have a new Pokemon Snap nowadays since they are probably like, ”You can take pictures of Pokemon in Pokemon Go! It’s even more immersive since it’s in the real world!” It would be cool, but yeah.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I just know that, whoever gets announced as FP5, there's going to be even more salt than there was for Bayo and Corrin back in 4.
I very much doubt that. Bayo and Corrin were the final characters, FP5 isn't; peoples' hopes for "their" character won't end with them.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
FP5 will have a lot of salt no matter who they are but I imagine it's mitigated by the fact we're getting more beyond whoever the fifth character is and Post-Pass may give second chances to characters who missed out the first round.

It won't be Bayo/Corrin levels of salt but salt will still be there. Same with literally anyone post pass.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Kind of hoping for the Pokemon Direct to have a Pokemon Smash character reveal so at least one of the DLC characters a Nintendo character. But, doubtful.
More than that, I am baffled at the idea of getting up at 06:30 to find out, so hopefully whatever time I wake up I can avoid spoilers.
Despite that though, I am pretty hyped for it. I like Pokemon, and there are a lot of games they could announce which would keep my excitement. Crossing fingers for either a Lets Go Silver/Gold, VC style re-release of some of the gen1/2/3 games on Switch, some Pokemon stadium style game, or if we are really willing to stretch, a Pikachus adventure style game :p

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Kind of hoping for the Pokemon Direct to have a Pokemon Smash character reveal so at least one of the DLC characters a Nintendo character. But, doubtful.
More than that, I am baffled at the idea of getting up at 06:30 to find out, so hopefully whatever time I wake up I can avoid spoilers.
Despite that though, I am pretty hyped for it. I like Pokemon, and there are a lot of games they could announce which would keep my excitement. Crossing fingers for either a Lets Go Silver/Gold, VC style re-release of some of the gen1/2/3 games on Switch, some Pokemon stadium style game, or if we are really willing to stretch, a Pikachus adventure style game :p
If RSE drops as VC on Switch I am picking that up DAY ONE

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Next week also makes lot of sense given the next amiibos come out and as others mentioned DLC characters had been announced around that time.

I think for certain its next week.

BTW how would you guys be if we got not just FP5 announced but the first post-Pass as well and it were these characters?

FP5: KOS-MOS
1st post-Pass fighter: Dante

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And he shouldn’t let a minority of people still throwing hissy fits that Waluigi and Geno aren’t playable get in the way of that, imo.
He shouldn't let a minority of people that cares more about adding more copyrights to the title screen than playing the game stop him from adding a Nintendo character he finds fun.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Next week also makes lot of sense given the next amiibos come out and as others mentioned DLC characters had been announced around that time.

BTW how would you guys be if we got not just FP5 announced but the first post-Pass as well and it were these characters?

>KOS-MOS

No thanks.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I lost like my top 25 (probably more) Nintendo characters that I would love to see playable in Smash Bros Ultimate. They're not going to happen ever. Now it can literally be any third party character and I can't be upset that any certain third party character didn't make it in because of all the legal process that must go into when licensing a character out. As much as I would love 2B or Sol Badguy to get in I would be an idiot to be disappointed that they didn't get in, because Nintendo doesn't own them.
So when all your likely, safe bet choices are all six feet under and left with the mystery box that can be any third party character it's hard to be really excited for the future of Ultimate. Hell, Fighter 5 could be a third party character that nobody has ever talked about on this board; it's hard to be excited with so much uncertainty.
Speak for yourself, I got everything I wanted so now everything else is just cupcake icing lol.

Before you say ”well I didn’t WAH!” I never got any characters I wanted since Melee. Brawl I was disappointed and boy was I disappointed hard with Wii U/3ds. In fact, I thought that was the worst newcomer group ever. But...I still enjoyed that game regardless. Not saying you have to, but just like we don’t expect you to agree with us, don’t expect us to agree with you.

SKX31

Smash Master
#SonyRepForSmashConfirmed :4pacman:

In case anyone's too lazy to click: #6 is Ensemble Stars, #7 is Monster Strike. Rest are mentioned / should be obvious.

Also, "Countries Tweeting the Most about Gaming": (further down the twitter thread):
  1. Japan
  2. United States
  3. South Korea
  4. Thailand
  5. Brazil
  6. France
  7. Great Britain
  8. Indonesia
  9. Spain
  10. Philippines
(Do note that China's not counted since Twitter's banned there, stats from the Chinese Twitter equal Weibo would shake the total up some)

shutupandtakemymoney.jpeg

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman

I mean, I'd love 2B and Nero instead but this would also get me hype.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman

In case anyone's too lazy to click: #6 is Ensemble Stars, #7 is Monster Strike. Rest are mentioned / should be obvious.

Also, "Countries Tweeting the Most about Gaming": (further down the twitter thread):

(Do note that China's not counted since Twitter's banned there, stats from the Chinese Twitter equal Weibo would shake the total up some)

shutupandtakemymoney.jpeg
Fate/Extella and Extella Link did recently come out on Switch too

*Unlimited Blade Works intensifies*

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

KOS-MOS is kind of neat.

Dante is a hard no for me.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
So are there any other characters like R.O.B who both are, and are not really, video game characters that could get in as a Nintendo Rep, or is R.O.B an exception? I always thought it was neat, but very strange he was included in the roster. And that is not even counting how bizarre it is to me that we have a physical toy(amiibo) of a digital fighter, (ROB) based on a a different physical toy(R.O.B)

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
He shouldn't let a minority of people that cares more about adding more copyrights to the title screen than playing the game stop him from adding a Nintendo character he finds fun.

I’ve been a pretty firm detractor of Jonesy, KOS-MOS, Arle, ect, so adding copyrights are obviously not my main priority, (If it were, I’d just accept every third party there was) but go off, I guess.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So are there any other characters like R.O.B who both are, and are not really, video game characters that could get in as a Nintendo Rep, or is R.O.B an exception? I always thought it was neat, but very strange he was included in the roster. And that is not even counting how bizarre it is to me that we have a physical toy(amiibo) of a digital fighter, (ROB) based on a a different physical toy(R.O.B)
I think that the Balance Board (too late for that) and Nintendo Labo are the only options for that (if we talk of Nintendo only characters), Balance Board is in the background of the WiiFit stage anyway.

I don't see Amiibos as fighters because the game is already about toy figures fighting each other... basically every character is an Amiibo already, the very concept behind the Amiibos might have been inspired by trophies from Smash in fact.

CrazyLlama

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2245-2488-3703
What irks me is when people say that Scorpion couldn't get in because Mortal Kombat is extremely gory and violent. Sora and Bandai Namco managed to add Snake (who smokes), Bayo (who spends roughly half of both her games nearly or completely naked), and Joker (whose All-Out Attack involves blood spraying out of the opponents chests, among other things), so why couldn't they censor the blood and gore from some of Scorpion's moveset? It doesn't make any sense.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

In case anyone's too lazy to click: #6 is Ensemble Stars, #7 is Monster Strike.
Monster Strike being more discussed than Minecraft and Smash is a big surprise. Especially since it isn't even available to play in America anymore.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
In addition to what Iko said, you could turn to ancient pre-gaming Nintendo history where there are characters like Mini Kangaroo, and the Napoleon caricature who appeared on the box of one of Nintendo’s more popular Hanafuda card sets (and still gets referenced from time to time to this day, with his most recent in-game reference being in Labo VR Kit)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
What irks me is when people say that Scorpion couldn't get in because Mortal Kombat is extremely gory and violent. Sora and Bandai Namco managed to add Snake (who smokes), Bayo (who spends roughly half of both her games nearly or completely naked), and Joker (whose All-Out Attack involves blood spraying out of the opponents chests, among other things), so why couldn't they censor the blood and gore from some of Scorpion's moveset? It doesn't make any sense.
I think the biggest problem with Scorpion/MK is that it's not as popular in Japan as it is in the west. The gore itself can be easily toned down, I suppose. But in my opinion Tekken and an Arcsys rep would have priority among other fighting game characters due to being bigger in Japan.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I think that the Balance Board (too late for that) and Nintendo Labo are the only options for that (if we talk of Nintendo only characters), Balance Board is in the background of the WiiFit stage anyway.
You make good point. Why isn't the balance board an assist trophy?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I can't wait to hear more about Pokemon Sleep on Thursday.
To be completely honest, hopefully, yeah. I keep going to bed too late, so, having something more to encourage me to go to sleep earlier would be very helpful.

BZocky

Smash Ace
Tbh I’ve thought about this a lot recently. Maybe the base of the amiibo could be a fighter? Like after all these years of being literally stood on it just gets fed up and starts firing NFC waves at Mario. His arms could be those translucent pieces of plastic that hold up the more airborne poses of some amiibo.
Also his amiibo figure would just appear to be an amiibo base without any figure on top.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You make good point. Why isn't the balance board an assist trophy?
I guess because it's already used as platforms on Wii Fit Studio? Of course they could just treat it like the Moon on Great Bay or something.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Unless they make a character who’s feet are NES controllers, legs are wii motes and nunchucks, has a power glove for one hand, a zapper for another, an snes for a crotch, a gamecube for a torso, a virtual boy for a head, a super scope for one arm and gamcube and snes controls for the other, with an NES power mat as a cape....

Y’know, I’m just going to stop now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Zelda-wise, Classic Ganon, Tingle, and Impa are my personal choices. In that order too. Though I want Oracles Impa. It also helps they're very recurring characters(Skull Kid is too, though the one with the Mask is not a recurring character, beyond the non-Canon HW, anyway).

There's a ton of cool choices beyond those with tons of potential. That said, while it's neat Ganondorf got a sword, he's very difficult to adjust to, imo. He doesn't feel like the past character. He's definitely better due to more range, but he feels weird. Among the Zelda cast, he and Link got rather significant changes that make it difficult to adjust to(for some, of course). I haven't played enough of Young and Toon Link to really look at them. Sheik and Zelda feel rather similar, just better. I also had trouble adjusting to Bowser's wrestling design. Mind you, DK I could never adjust to after his fun moveset in Smash 64.

Either way, I don't expect massive changes beyond what we've had so far. They still are similar enough to generally adjust to, though not as easy for everyone. Oh, another example is Pit, who got some pretty major changes in 4(you could argue Mario too, but that seems more of an adjustment thing cause of the lack of the regular Tornado. Only having F.L.U.D.D. is awkward for Melee/64 players).

------------------

I meant to post that last night. Welp. Pokemon direct, huh. Could be neat on its own(I don't expect any Smash information, honestly).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A Pokemon Direct, huh? I doubt anything Smash related will be revealed. I mean, I'd love for it to happen, but they've already had 4 characters from other companies; the last one is highly likely to be 3rd party again. If we're ever getting a Sword/Shield rep, it'll probably be in the next pass.

As for this direct, I'm really hoping it'll be to announce a Diamond/Pearl remaster since they've already done Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, and Ruby/Sapphire. It's Diamond's time to shine.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Dante would be super hype.

SKX31

Smash Master
Monster Strike being more discussed than Minecraft and Smash is a big surprise. Especially since it isn't even available to play in America anymore.
It's really weird yes: all the articles I come across talk about it declining slowly but surely. However, I'm seeing some activity in Southeast Asia - specifically Phillipines - according to Sensor Tower, so that could be a factor. Wouldn't surprise me since several SEA countries rank in that Top 10.

Ring Fit could be a half / half option here I suppose? I'm saying half / half since the character's fully a video game character, but the weapon is a physical controller / toy.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It's really weird yes: all the articles I come across talk about it declining slowly but surely. However, I'm seeing some activity in Southeast Asia - specifically Phillipines - according to Sensor Tower, so that could be a factor. Wouldn't surprise me since several SEA countries rank in that Top 10.

Ring Fit could be a half / half option here I suppose? I'm saying half / half since the character's fully a video game character, but the weapon is a physical controller / toy.
I want Ring Fit in smash, but I want it to require me to play with the ring con.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Unless they make a character who’s feet are NES controllers, legs are wii motes and nunchucks, has a power glove for one hand, a zapper for another, an snes for a crotch, a gamecube for a torso, a virtual boy for a head, a super scope for one arm and gamcube and snes controls for the other, with an NES power mat as a cape....

Y’know, I’m just going to stop now.
I want someone to draw this. Now.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If they do a second pass, Dante would be a HUGE deal. A hype bomb that has a similar cult following feel like Joker. Perfect pass opener.

It's seeming like next Thursday makes a lot of sense based on all the maintenance, announcements, precedent, and hints being dropped all around.
Dante would be a very good opener for pass 2, I agree. But I would say he has a ton more of following than Joker.
Of course he's been around since 2001 so that helps a lot lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom