• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Alright, I've chosen the winners from the game I made the other day. Thanks for playing! This is a long list, but I will try my hardest to make it work. Give me a week or two (this is enough characters for another fighting game!), and I'll post all of the movesets at once, but if y'all want, I can do it little by little. Chances are, the Smash reveal will come out before I'm finished, so my hard work is going to get buried under the hype, but I'll manage lol. Anyways, here are the characters I've chosen:

Don-chan, Metal Slug, 1-3 League of Legend characters, 2-4 Pokemon that were mentioned, Pitfall Harry, Hamtaro, Duna Nichs, Axel Stone and/or Blaze Fielding, Vincent Brooks (Catherine), Ragna the Bloodedge, Kunio, Akari/Ryota Hayami, Baba is You, Michael Wilson (Metal Wolf Chaos), Professor Layton, Miku Hatsune, Tony Hawk, Mike Tyson, Frogger, Sergeant Cortez, Alley Cat, Lemmings, Duster (Mother 3), Morshu, Classic Ganon, a Fire Emblem character that uses a gun, Officer Howard (Astral Chain), York (Deadly Premonition), and Space Invader.

Chances are, I'm going to post one for Sora, Travis Touchdown, Raiden, Adol, Phoenix Wright, and Arle anyway, so don't worry about them. Other characters like Mona and Bill Rizer are super cool concepts I'll probably revisit somewhere down the line.

I'm going to provide as many visual references as possible. I'm going to make every character unique (both amongst themselves and the existing roster), and introduce several new concepts that haven't been explored in Smash yet. Even though this is all hypothetical, I'm going to make it balanced and explain how it'd work as if it were real. It'll be a learning experience and an opportunity to hype up several underrated and/or unorthodox characters within the fandom. I'm not super familiar with every single character listed above, but trust me when I say that I do my research. I mean... I did it with Circus Charlie.
Thank you for putting my characters (plus an "honorable mention") in the list!

This is an incredible amount of work, the final thing is going to be impressive for sure! Good luck and take your time.

OMG I can't believe Hamtaro is getting a moveset too! I can't wait to see how it will turn out.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I wonder if it would be more practical for them to design a Smash roguelike mode, so that random generation would help pad out and add replayability to something that would otherwise take ages to create (given that it would be a side feature, after all.)

There couldn’t be cutscenes for this sort of thing, but you could still kind of RP your way through it since it’d have more of a defined structure in terms of being an adventure.
You know what I'd love to see, and I don't think it's too resource-taxing to make?

Melee-style Classic mode.

Same thing about the randomness giving replayability - Brawl/SSB64's classics were really structured with specific franchises, and not every character has a defined classic mode (which is cool, but also makes replayability into nothing more than 'let me try to beat my score.')

But I'd like a Melee Classic. Completely randomized enemies/items/stages. Even go with the music choices that we selected in My Music, so we could have some random fun as well.

For those who don't remember, Melee's classic went as follows. Enemies for the moat part were randomized, save that you couldn't get a mirror match. The only thing I'd like to keep somewhat defined would be that in a 2v2, you'd get a pair that makes sense together (from the same franchise or two who fit together well thematically like Peach and Zelda) ...but make that a wide open topic so there are loads of possible pairs. Oh, and make sure the stage matches the character you fight.
  1. 1v1
  2. 2v2
  3. Bonus
  4. 1v1
  5. 3vGiant
  6. Bonus
  7. 1v1
  8. 1vMulti
  9. Bonus
  10. 1vMetal
  11. Master Hand
I'd toss the bonus stages at 3, maybe add a sub-boss fight at 6 (any of the current classic bosses except the hands) make the new 'Race to the finish' as bonus 9, and give Master and Crazy if you make it to the end under a certain time or number of stocks.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There are a few things they could do to boost replayability without much more work. Let us rematch Spirits whenever we want for no reward other than getting to pick our favorite fights, and the same for bosses.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There are a few things they could do to boost replayability without much more work. Let us rematch Spirits whenever we want for no reward other than getting to pick our favorite fights, and the same for bosses.
The spirits being randomized each time really annoys me, sometimes you want to fight a certain character you really like but it never spawns. Sakura from Street fighter only ever spawned for me once.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You know what I'd love to see, and I don't think it's too resource-taxing to make?

Melee-style Classic mode.

Same thing about the randomness giving replayability - Brawl/SSB64's classics were really structured with specific franchises, and not every character has a defined classic mode (which is cool, but also makes replayability into nothing more than 'let me try to beat my score.')

But I'd like a Melee Classic. Completely randomized enemies/items/stages. Even go with the music choices that we selected in My Music, so we could have some random fun as well.

For those who don't remember, Melee's classic went as follows. Enemies for the moat part were randomized, save that you couldn't get a mirror match. The only thing I'd like to keep somewhat defined would be that in a 2v2, you'd get a pair that makes sense together (from the same franchise or two who fit together well thematically like Peach and Zelda) ...but make that a wide open topic so there are loads of possible pairs. Oh, and make sure the stage matches the character you fight.
  1. 1v1
  2. 2v2
  3. Bonus
  4. 1v1
  5. 3vGiant
  6. Bonus
  7. 1v1
  8. 1vMulti
  9. Bonus
  10. 1vMetal
  11. Master Hand
I'd toss the bonus stages at 3, maybe add a sub-boss fight at 6 (any of the current classic bosses except the hands) make the new 'Race to the finish' as bonus 9, and give Master and Crazy if you make it to the end under a certain time or number of stocks.
Seconding this. Ultimate as a single player experience is enjoyable enough, but there's very little incentive to replay basically anything once you've completed it. Having a standard "here's some random fighters, go nuts in a semi-structured environment" would be a nice way to give the lone player something to do once they completed all of the structured challenges.

Bringing back the split route system from 3DS' Classic mode would also be a neat addition. Struggle against fighting Falco and want to avoid him at all costs? Just don't go on the Star Fox route. Enjoy fighting Chrom? Go the Fire Emblem route. It gives a little customizability to the player while keeping the randomized nature of Melee's classic mode, as you can't control for which series show up and there's no guarantee you'll get the fighter you want if you choose a path with multiple possible characters.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Still Team KOS-MOS. I think we will get a Nintendo Direct this week, and KOS-MOS will be FP5.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Wasn't there a guy who posted an image of otters whenever a direct was happening?
You're talking about Jon Gamexplain, a.k.a. "The guy who despise Twitter insiders and doesn't want to be known as a leaker".
He used to hint at Directs with pictures/gifs of otters, but then people caught on his hints and he stopped doing it in 2019.
So yeah, don't expect any hints from him, that ship has sailed long ago and we have to deal with it.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
What with putting an person's name before their group / game and treat it like a last name? I'm aware that it's a meme and all, but still.

'SANS UNDERTALE'

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What with putting an person's name before their group / game and treat it like a last name? I'm aware that it's a meme and all, but still.

'SANS UNDERTALE'
My favourite example has to be 3H cause everyone has canonical, easy to access last names yet the fans still go Edelgard Fire Emblem. Ferdinand is, of course, the exception

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If there was a 3 Houses rep for Smash, Byleth would be the most likely. (I noticed that main characters like Mario and Link come first then supporting/villian characters like Luigi and K Rool.)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
now if it was any other character, i wouldn't have looked twice
but the fact that it's Marth specifically, with his shoulder pads
If the Rathalos image had been anything to go by I wouldn't take that image as nothing more but probably fun on Sakurai's part.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well it technically was a hint for Isaac... just the outcome was not what people expected.
When will Sakurai learn that people only like seeing their characters as fighters and not as garbage like Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes or Spirits?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When will Sakurai learn that people only like seeing their characters as fighters and not as garbage like Assist Trophies, Mii Costumes or Spirits?
would you rather have literally no golden sun representation or

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
would you rather have literally no golden sun representation or
Yeah. I rather have nothing than this garbage. Hell, it would be so much better not being in at all because that would mean he wouldn't have been the butt of the joke for Piranha Plant for a good couple of months and would have support instead of being dead in water. Assist Trophies are already the kiss of death for many series, so I'm good with nothing.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I like how people disregard how Sakurai views ATs as just as valuable as any other part of the game and only includes them as a way of trying to make people happy. Like geeze, some people act like Sakurai personally came to their home and slapped them. This fanbase has a huge case of entitlement.

Some of y'all take this stuff too seriously. It's a video game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
He does know. Game devs just don't have all the resources in the world, so they have to make some compromises for the base game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom