• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Its been a while since I've been around here so IDK what exactly is going on, but is there a reason we have people speculating that we have a direct coming on Tuesday? Seen that some places outside of Smashboards.
There were new SKUs found in Gamestop's database for the Switch. Also everyone was assuming we'd have a direct in January for some reason.

D

Deleted member

This is my first forum post of the year, so I wanna try something new. So... I usually participate in those fun little lists we make, but I never came up with a game of my own, and I kinda wanna try that.

I think one way to get folks hyped about characters is their movesets. So, I want to see if y'all can answer any (or all) of these, and I will try to provide detailed concepts for the one response that I like the most (bonus points if I pull this off before FP5's announcement). I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain it more eloquently.

List a character that:

1. You absolutely can't come up with a moveset for, even if ya tried. The wackier, the better.

2. You like that ya probably could make a moveset for, but don't feel like doing it (but you wouldn't mind reading about it)

3. A character you think deserves more awareness

4. You have little to no attachment to, but think they would be dope conceptually

This includes side characters and 4th party characters. Again... you don't have to answer every one, but it might help your odds. I'll provide a detailed concept for the one list I like most. If ya don't win, don't feel left out though! All participants will receive an internet hug in the form of one like. :052:
1. A space invader

2. Circus Charlie...

3. This one is hard, not due to the lack of characters but rather that there are a bunch of them. Maybe 2B, Arle, Kazuma Kiryuu, Amateratsu, Arthur, Dovahkiin, Ezio, Reiko Nagase, Chosen Undead, Jack Frost from the top of my head.

4. Adol from Ys, have little experience with the series but it is one of the most influential series among JRPGs, alternatively someone like Master Chief or Doomguy who are from an unrepresented genre are from a unique archetype as having several weapons but don't really care much about them.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Its been a while since I've been around here so IDK what exactly is going on, but is there a reason we have people speculating that we have a direct coming on Tuesday? Seen that some places outside of Smashboards.
Mainly that it's overdue. They really haven't said anything about the 2020 lineup since September. Also there are some updates coming for some games.

For me, the news that Richter/DSamus don't have amiibo data means there's an update for Smash inbound by the 17th. Whether that includes a new character I doubt, but it'll likely have some data. I can clearly see them just announcing the next character before then so the dataminers can't come out and spoil it. And also that Ultimate hasn't yet just dropped a character - even Hero had a bit of time between announcement at E3 and release.

SKX31

Smash Master
Another update, although not exactly related to what I usually talk about re: Tencent:

It kind of sounds like a Pokemon MOBA, although I won't call it 100 %. Still, we're likely looking at a worldwide release / marketing campaign most likely, and if it is a MOBA it won't be the first mobile one. Still, the most important piece is that Tencent is commiting to their Pokemon game.

Picture this. It's the last fighter. It's the latest Direct. You've waited 40 minutes to see this. Your favorite has not yet been included. Then, BAM! It's not who you wanted. Which character would make you mad? (As in, "WHY DID ((insert that final character)) GET IN?? WTF??")
There are few characters who would make me outright mad. But if I had to choose one, I'd go with unneccessary variations like Pink Gold Peach or Happi Mario. The thing that irks me hardcore about those two are that they're space/roster-fillers (even if they're relatively easy to make and save on dev time). EDIT: I Should point out, if the variations were a bit more spread (Luigi doesn't have nearly as many as Mario IIRC) I wouldn't mind nearly as much.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Now I got a question for everyone:

Picture this. It's the last fighter. It's the latest Direct. You've waited 40 minutes to see this. Your favorite has not yet been included. Then, BAM! It's not who you wanted. Which character would make you mad? (As in, "WHY DID ((insert that final character)) GET IN?? WTF??")

This'll start a war, but mine would be Geno. If he's included beforehand, then IDC. But if he gets in before a character that has more of an impact (IMO) on gaming history, then I'd be a little angry.
Pink Gold Peach.

Literally the character made for this.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

It would be hard for me to get mad at a certain character for not being my most wanted since just about all of them are long shots. Nathan Drake is from Sony, Hollow Knight is likely deep on the indie depth chart, Spyro isn't getting in before Crash, and Scorpion is banned in Japan. For DLC 5 the only realistic character that I really want is Phoenix Wright, so the only way I'd be mad is if it was a super obsurce Capcom rep. I might be a little disappointed with Prof Layton because then Phoenix is likely dead but I don't think I'd be all that down about him either.

For Nintendo characters then I think there's some I'd not like. I'd really like Edelgard to get into Smash but I wouldn't hate it if they chose Claude. Byleth would be kinda meh but the only one I'd dislike would be Dimitri because he feels pretty boring compared to the other 3. The other one I think should be in is Cranky Kong since he has the history of being the original DK. He feels like one of the top picks along with Dixie and Funky so one of them getting in first wouldn't feel bad. Now if like, Trixie or Candy got in then I'd be pretty confused but that's not happening so....

I have a few characters I really don't want(Reimu and Jibanyan mainly) but they're not really competing with anyone I want so it's hard to get mad about them being picked over my most wanted choices.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Another update, although not exactly related to what I usually talk about re: Tencent:

It kind of sounds like a Pokemon MOBA, although I won't call it 100 %. Still, we're likely looking at a worldwide release / marketing campaign most likely, and if it is a MOBA it won't be the first mobile one. Still, the most important piece is that Tencent is commiting to their Pokemon game.
Not gonna lie, a Pokémon MOBA would be the only mobile MOBA I'd ever pick up, provided it has some depth to it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd prefer the guys to be playable characters and the Slug to be their final smash.
I don't want that, because that's basically make them the same as Bill Rizer, who I ALSO want to be playable.

Giving them the tank makes them unique.

That makes sense. Maybe have the pilots peek out for a taunt or something, since they aren't visible like the Clown Car.
Or just have them be visible, like in that Fio image.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Seems like someone on Youtube has uploaded the segments of the Christmas Niconico game developer interview that featured Sakurai. A translator might be able to look into them in depth now that we have footage. Pretty laid-back though.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Seems like someone on Youtube has uploaded the segments of the Christmas Niconico game developer interview that featured Sakurai. A translator might be able to look into them in depth now that we have footage. Pretty laid-back though.
One thing I don't remember not talked about yet overseas from this livestream is that Yoko Taro said he met Sakurai for the first time.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
One thing I don't remember not talked about yet overseas from this livestream is that Yoko Taro said he met Sakurai for the first time.
It might've been the first time they officially met, but the two certainly know of one another. Sakurai wrote about Nier in 2017, revealing that he's a fan of the series, and Taro blatantly contrasted himself to Sakurai in an interview. I want to say they had a Twitter exchange at some point too, but I couldn't find any evidence of that.

KillerCage

Smash Master

I already got my most wanted character in Smash (Ridley.)
Anyone else who get in is extra to me.
HOWEVER, if we get a character who does not originate from a video game franchise, heads will roll.
I'm not counting Saber and Agumon as 4th party characters despite being known for their anime appearances due to their visual novel and virtual pet origins.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
It might've been the first time they officially met, but the two certainly know of one another. Sakurai wrote about Nier in 2017, revealing that he's a fan of the series, and Taro blatantly contrasted himself to Sakurai in an interview. I want to say they had a Twitter exchange at some point too, but I couldn't find any evidence of that.
A quick usage of Twitter's advanced search shows they have had conversations on Twitter, the earliest being August of 2011. There was a gap between 2012-2018, though.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A quick usage of Twitter's advanced search shows they have had conversations on Twitter, the earliest being August of 2011. There was a gap between 2012-2018, though.
I'm not saying 2B's in, but:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Reiko Nagase

As a silly thought, what if they revealed a character’s gameplay without revealing the actual character? Like, if they made the character model invisible, muted the voice clips, and turned hitbox view (but not hurtbox view) on for the trailer.
Tbqh, if they showed the entire goddamn reveal trailer, but took out the character tagline at the end that states their name, a large portion of this fanbase probably wouldn't know who the hell it is.

I always picked Blaze.
To my chagrin. In spite of this, Skate was also the s*** so it all worked out.

I'm considering doing at least a character or two for each participant's list. I have at least two in mind that are getting the whole thing. These are enough suggestions to make another fighting game, so give me like a week or two.
Let me help so you can get this s*** done faster.

Is what I would like to say but I'm already aware that there would be a ton of creative differences, and instead of working them out, we would end up procrastinating.

Your vote doesn't count.

Literal Queen B**** of the Universe. Who the f*** wouldn't want this??!!?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Most of the time, if there's a character I didn't want, I have a neutral, indifferent reaction to their reveal. I usually don't get angry or upset.

However, I'd probably get mad if we got a Three Houses character and SwSh didn't get one. If that happens, I'd love to hear their reasoning behind that decision, because there aren't many arguments you can make to justify that happening aside from "Three Houses good, SwSh bad!"

I might be in a sour mood if the character is Geno, but that's mainly because I don't understand Geno's popularity at all. I've played SMRPG multiple times, I've had his fans explain it to me, and I still don't see the big deal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This'll start a war, but mine would be Geno. If he's included beforehand, then IDC. But if he gets in before a character that has more of an impact (IMO) on gaming history, then I'd be a little angry.
Being 100% honest here: I think I wouldn’t have that reaction with any character at all as of now.

Smash Ultimate has basically delivered everything huge I wanted in the franchise ever since I got into videogames... So I’m seriously at some sort of weird Nirvana or something where I just feel cool with anything or anyone getting added.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

The character that would make me extremely mad would be Crash, Adachi (Persona 4), and Jin Kisaragi (Blazblue) at this point.

D

Deleted member

Which character would make you mad? (As in, "WHY DID ((insert that final character)) GET IN?? WTF??")
A mook would disappoint me. Otherwise, Sakurai's gotta try to get me to hate a character at this point.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
1. Pitfall Harry. No joke.
2. Vincent Brooks. After playing Catherine: Full Body, I know he could have a great moveset. I just need time to think about how it would work.
3. Any CoD rep. People may s**t on the series, but you can't deny the impact it's had on gaming history.
4. Arle Nadja. For the fans.

1. The Heavy from TF2.
2. Q-Bert.
3. Isaac (The Binding of Isaac). Now, hear me out. During tournament play, you buff his moves. But when items are on, he needs to stack them to become powerful. Think of the dumb combinations you could have (maximum of 3 items). The Tanooki Suit, Metal Box, and Ray Gun until you are KO'd.
4. One of the guys from Double Dragon.
5. Vincent Brooks, back at it again with those blocks.

Another anime sword fighter.
*glares at Fire Emblem and both Llyod/Yuri*

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

The only characters I'd be upset about would be ones that would take a spot over another character I find more appealing. What I mean by that is not "Oh no, Pirahna Plant took (unrelated character)'s spot as a preorder bonus!" I mean when a character is legit rejected for another, like a Simon over Alucard or Incineroar over Decidueye situation. For example, if Lloyd Irving got in then Sakurai said in a later interview something like "Oh it was between Nightmare and Lloyd, but I picked Lloyd because anime," I'd be ticked off.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Maybe, but you've got some pretty stiff competition:
Okay, but he's got some real steep competition:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif(1).gif

Knack_09.png

BUCK. MOTHER****ING. BUMBLE.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anything happening in Smash news? I need something to distract me from World War III (apparently?)

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace

After waiting for so long, I think I'm down for anyone that came from a video game. I'll be content with anybody at this point, even if my most wanted doesn't get in.

That being said, I'm sure my most wanted, Phoenix Wright, is going to be hated by few people if he gets in over other characters.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
anyone that isnt Layton, I know its gonna happen because Layton in smash isn't gonna happen

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Hello, I'm back from the dead, although I'm not sure if I'm gonna post regularly again. It looks like most speculation is about third-party characters, which makes sense considering that 80% of all DLC characters and 100% of Fighter Pass characters are third-party for now. So at least it makes sense to expect FP5 to be yet another third-party. But what's the consensus about Nintendo characters like?

In order to have a character native to the Switch (although Link kinda already fits that role) and following the logic behind Corrin's inclusion in Smash 4 who was added for the sake of having character born after Smash 4 itself, I think it might be reasonable to expect at least one Nintendo newcomer to be a post-Ultimate character. But this depends of when the post-Fighter Pass characters were chosen. I might assume it's something like two or three months before they announced that more characters are coming, so June or July of the year that ended a few days ago.

Notable released published by Nintendo since that period were: Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Link's Awakening remake, Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword and Shield.

Super Mario Maker 2: winged snow Pokey for Smash! Seriously tho, this game is fine without more references in Smash, SMM1 representation indirectly fits that game.
FE3H: unlike others referenced here, this game got no acknowledgment through free DLC spirits, and combined with the Corrin precedent which is not just for a new post-Smash game but also another Fire Emblem game it to be the most discussed Nintendo newcomer for what I've seen. I also know it was very well received, although how well received might not have been known by the time, depending of how early or late the post-FP characters were chosen by Nintendo and Sakurai. Apparently the game has several protagonists, so if Nintendo suggested the concept of a FE3H rep, Sakurai might have chosen the character by himself, with criteria such as moveset potential, return from IS, and possibly fan input; if the later matters then it looks like one in particular might be more likely since she seems to be the most suggested rep (Eldegard). However Sakurai hesitated putting Corrin as Smash 4 DLC due to perceived FE overload, but it's also possible he might have dropped this mindset since he didn't hesitate to add Chrom in addition to bringing bck everyone. Alternatively the lack of FE3H spirits seems hardly compatible with a FE3H playable character coming with no other content similar to Piranha Plant (asides from a few bonus music tracks similar to the Sans Mii costume), so if we get a character from that game it's very likely it comes with their DLC spirit board; even though it's not a new IP like with other DLC spirit boards, I believe this game's settings are quite independent from that of other games in the series, further justifying the idea of a DLC spirit board coming alongside a character from that game.
Personally I haven't played this FE game, but if the gameplay is solid, why not. My main gripe with Awakening was that the longer I played it the more I realized the gameplay was unbalanced which affected my enjoyment of the game when replaying (map design was often meh and pair-up was so broken turning it into a final smash felt completely appropriate).
Astral Chain: for some reason from what I've lurked I don't remember this game being mentioned in Smash speculation, but I believe that game was fairly well received and advertised, and seems to be to be the best shot as a DLC-introduced new IP that isn't owned by a third-party. It hasn't received acknowledgment through free DLC spirits, which helps it even better than FE3H considering being a new IP would completely justify giving it not just a DLC spirit board and new music, but a new stage as well. However it may compete with 2B as both Astral Chain and Nier Automata were developped by Platinum Games, giving them some overlap in appeal, and maybe the later game is overall more well-known.
I should be getting this game two weeks from now, as I've asked for it as a late Christmas gift, considering the generally positive reviews and that I can expect something good coming from Platinum. As a bonus it might be another opportunity for me to set my own opinion about its prospect for Smash.
Daemon X Machina: already received representation through free DLC spirits, for an unrepresented IP I think it's all or nothing as part of the paid DLC so I'd write it off as unlikely.
Link's Awakening remake: there's no material for a newcomer so the free DLC spirits are enough to acknowledge it. Pass.
Luigi's Mansion 3: a ghost introduced in this game as a playable character? Yeah but no. The update to Luigi's grab is enough, and that's in the base game.
Pokémon Sword and Shield: I've seen someone saying earlier in this thread that it's deconfirmed, is that literally the case or an inference from the fact it already got free DLC spirits? If it's the former you can comfortably ignore everyting said in this section.
At least we can agree SwSh spirits deconfirm the concept of a SwSh DLC spirit board, and that made me more careful about considering a SwSh rep as a safe bet. But we could still imagine a SwSh rep as DLC without being bundled with their own spirit board, and being bundled only with a few music tracks from these games. SwSh spirits already existing and the fact new Pokémon generations are more of an extension of a monster catalogue rather than their own self-contained sub-universes would make it more suitable for not being bundled with a DLC spirit board than an FE3H rep (or maybe I'm just trying to handwave why we could still have both a FE3H and SwSh rep despite their different free DLC spirit treatments). Another thing against that is the fact it released later than FE3H and Astral Chain, but we have precedence of Sakurai accessing to Pokémon information before they're released to the public. Yet another factor against could be the fact it was already controversial before release due to the whole Dexit fiasco (and I must admit I wasn't aware of Dexit before playing Sword lol), although I might overrate how much of a deterrent it might be due to the damage happening mostly in the loyal long-term fanbase rather than casual fans and it might have been judged unlikely to cause sale drops (indeed it didn't have much of an effect as it still sold incredibly well like other Pokémon games)

I remember I went mad at Corrin four years ago, because he combined being a "muh recency" rep and yet another Fire Emblem character. Also Bayonetta was the kind of third-party character I thought wasn't iconic enough to deserve to be playable. And no first-party newcomer outside of, again, "muh recency". This is to say that this direct completely shattered by view on Smash speculation forever. Now I feel like I shouldn't try to convince myself that characters that don't fit my narrative of what kind of character gets in don't deserve to be in, so I don't imagine being mad at any new inclusion at this point (and I find ironic that I was upset by Corrin then but now wouldn't really have a problem with a Three House rep being announced).
Unless they add someone really unpopular and irrelevant like Bubsy.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Byleth, Edelgard, Rex/Pyra (I'm actually playing and enjoying Xenoblade 2 since I got it for Christmas, but he'd make for a very weak end for the Fighter's Pass), Elma, KOS-MOS, Rillaboom (coming from a HUGE Pokemon fan).

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Of course they knew each other for a long time. I mean how can you not know them when you are in the industry.
Taro's wife has met Sakurai before and they were talking about it during the livestream. Taro said his wife told him that when she met Sakurai she instantly screamed "The smash guy!" but Sakurai corrected him that she was actually more like "SMAAAAAAASH!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is this Frogger meme exclusive to Smashboards or am I just dreaming?
Well he is the biggest arcade icon that's not represented, besides from Space Invaders and Q-Bert. And because Konami decided that Bomberman and Alucard only worthy of Assist Trophy status, he's also Konami's biggest.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Byleth, Edelgard, Rex/Pyra (I'm actually playing and enjoying Xenoblade 2 since I got it for Christmas, but he'd make for a very weak end for the Fighter's Pass), Elma, KOS-MOS, Rillaboom (coming from a HUGE Pokemon fan).
Well Rillaboom will never happen as they'd just be a Baboom echo, Baboom's already in the game
baboom.PNG

Baboom win

D

Deleted member

This is my first forum post of the year, so I wanna try something new. So... I usually participate in those fun little lists we make, but I never came up with a game of my own, and I kinda wanna try that.

I think one way to get folks hyped about characters is their movesets. So, I want to see if y'all can answer any (or all) of these, and I will try to provide detailed concepts for the one response that I like the most (bonus points if I pull this off before FP5's announcement). I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain it more eloquently.

List a character that:

1. You absolutely can't come up with a moveset for, even if ya tried. The wackier, the better.

2. You like that ya probably could make a moveset for, but don't feel like doing it (but you wouldn't mind reading about it)

3. A character you think deserves more awareness

4. You have little to no attachment to, but think they would be dope conceptually

This includes side characters and 4th party characters. Again... you don't have to answer every one, but it might help your odds. I'll provide a detailed concept for the one list I like most. If ya don't win, don't feel left out though! All participants will receive an internet hug in the form of one like. :052:
1. York (Deadly Premonition)

As someone who has York as their 3rd most wanted character in Smash and thinks would be the biggest WTF pick for DLC, I have no idea how he'd work in Smash with how limited the combat in the original game is. Granted, Deadly Premonition 2 could have a varied and different combat system than the original, but right now, it's hard for me to think of stuff York could do for a game like Smash.

2. Johnny Gat (Saints Row)

After playing a few Saints Row games, Gat's a cool character. The series may have jumped multiple sharks after the 2nd game, but I'd be down for Gat in Smash even when it won't happen. I just don't really want to think of his possible Smash moveset though cause I haven't played through every Saints Row game (or even Agents of Mayhem but I'm not interested in playing it unless it goes on sale for around $5 USD probably). I also want to bring up that he's playable in Divekick, so there's that.

3. Michael (Metal Wolf Chaos)

Alright this game is really stupid and would probably also fit with the 1st category, but it's the kind of stupid that I enjoy and would certainly love to see be in Smash as the FromSoft rep so that all Smash fans can enjoy the amount of times Michael screams RICHAAAAAAAAAARD.

4. A Streets of Rage character (Streets of Rage)

Streets of Rage 4 was announced in the Nindies, and even though Sidescrolling beat-em-ups aren't my thing, I think Streets of Rage would be a pretty cool franchise to add. I only say a Streets of Rage character because I don't really know anything about the characters in the games, so I'm curious as to who could rep the series in Smash if there's more than 1 protagonist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom