• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yeah I'm referring to in general.

I notice FPS fans in general are prone to confirmation bias involving Smash. (Most notably Gordon and Doomguy)
I feel like that is every fanbase here though. People are thinking that Namco is guaranteed a rep and that is KOS-MOS due to some 4chan leaks.

We are all guilty of it. We tend to overestimate how popular our respective picks are or how much they actually matter in the grand scheme of things. Online boards don't make up a huge chunk of the smash fanbase.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Not that I necessarily doubt it, but what's the business sense in putting Halo on the Switch? To make Microsoft seem cool? If anything that hurts them because people will be like "Okay, get my Switch for some XBox stuff and as my companion system to the PS4/5 as my home console for the Sony exclusives".

Edit: I guess if they're just trying to squeeze more sales out of old Halo games it makes sense but idk.
Same reason a whole bunch of people buy another version of any game on Switch that they may own elsewhere: A portable version is a super attractive offer to a lot of people. I mean, Halo on Switch will never really compete with the mainline, brand new Halo games on Xbox, and Microsoft has been steadily just not caring about exclusives as much with their brand (Minecraft, Cuphead, Ori, and Super Lucky's Tale on Switch to start). Plus, there's a whole bunch of people with classic Halo nostalgia that will probably buy these titles every single time they come out.

A MCC announcement fits more for a direct. I don't think Nintendo or Microsoft wants to waste their time in TGA to "help" another console, to put it in a way.
Huh? They both make money off of this and would get an absolutely massive PR response the best marketing teams in the world could only dream of. It's not wasted if revealed at TGAs in the least bit.

Yea but it doesnt make sense to have two reps in the same FP. If we do include MC now then it would just screw it up for everyone involve. Microsoft wont take that risk since it would only damage them and Nintendo. They can still do it if its spirits or mii costumes but adding another as a fighter is a bad move.
Master Chief in Smash would damage Microsoft and Nintendo because of some baseless fan rule and assumption that people are really going to care about there being two "Microsoft characters" in one pass (one of which being an original Nintendo character, so does it even matter???).

Sure Jan.

I feel like MCC on Switch would be impossible for the cartridge lol. Am I wrong?
Depends on how much of the Master Chief Collection we got. The total for all 6 games on Xbox One is around 100 GB, but that includes Halo, Halo 1 Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, and Halo 4 and all of their content and a **** ton of HD assets specifically for that Halo 2 anniversary (which are some large files on their own given the quality of those textures and cut scenes). If they just did like Halo 1-3 or something of the sort, they probably wouldn't have any issue, especially with a 32 GB cart in play. Xbox 360 games could only be up to like 8 GB originally anyway, so you'd probably be looking at around 16 GB for those first 3 titles anyway.

Every DLC comes from different companies and Banjo belongs to Rare which is now in Microsoft as we all know. It may be a fan rule but it makes total sense. Some of us would be greatly disappointed if our character doesnt make it in only for another Microsoft character gets in. Not everyone but most people will be thinking that Microsoft is getting too much and that Sakurei have made a poor choice.
Again... why would Nintendo and Microsoft care? Master Chief and Banjo & Kazooie are such different characters with such different fan bases in regards to who would want to see them in Smash. Their two massive circles with the only point of intersection being "owned by Microsoft." Banjo & Kazooie got in because of fan demand as former Nintendo characters, Halo would get in on its own legacy. Nobody except for the absolutely insane Smash fan base is going to remotely care about this reality if it comes to pass. And even those voices will be 100% drowned out by "HOLY ****ING ****, MASTER CHIEF IN SMASH, OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD."

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm referring to in general.

I notice FPS fans in general are prone to confirmation bias involving Smash. (Most notably Gordon and Doomguy)
You're talking about discussion in general...so you came onto Smashboards as a sort of "mediator" when again, majority of people are simply taking it as the collection being ported to Switch? To me the real bias seems to be that you don't like it when people talk about FPS characters, lol

D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone aside from a couple people have been saying for sure Chief is in because of this but it's fun to discuss the possibility
We could always go back to talking about KOS-MOS, Verg/Sabi and 4chan leaks again as if we haven't already done so 100 other times this week :4diddy:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The FPS genre is pretty homogeneous compared to RPGs and Platformers, so it'd be pretty redundant to have Master Chief and Doomguy in, as the 3rd party JRPG character's games all play widely differently.
Except Halo ensured that the FPS genre wasn't also gonna be named "Doom clone" alongside the likes of Half-Life.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
The FPS genre is pretty homogeneous compared to RPGs and Platformers, so it'd be pretty redundant to have Master Chief and Doomguy in, as the 3rd party JRPG character's games all play widely differently.

If you've played Halo and DOOM, youd know that they are VASTLY different games.

DOOM is a fast-paced arena shooter filled w kill rooms where you constantly have to stay mobile in order to survive. You can't even reload your weapons!

Halo is an entirely different animal.

As is Half-Life.

As is Portal.

As is Bioshock.

As is... you get it.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
This does make me remember the old "Something big is happening, comparable to seeing Mario on Playstation" rumor.

Well.. "Halo on Nintendo" is definitely big. Day one purchase for sure if it comes to pass.
Well, that rumor (the "Mario on Playstation" one) came from the same guy, so I would say this pretty much confirm that he was always referring to Halo coming to Switch.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's an oversimplification.

Doom is based around avoiding projectile based foes and gettin in close with multiple weapons whereas Halo pioneered the idea of rechargable shields and is about smart management of your two weapon slots and sub-weapons.

D

Deleted member

I can’t talk about Halo’s gameplay because I haven’t played the series (R.I.P. non-Xbox users).

But based on music and E3 trailers of the franchise alone (which is what I have seen), I feel Chief would be a really cool-looking character with an awesome music selection.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, I'd prefer if this means Master Chief collection on Switch rather than Chief in Smash.

I mean, I'd love both, but I don't have an Xbone and my PC is a piece of trash at this point, and I CRAAAAAVE playing Reach again so much. And 3. Halo in general, really, it's the only FPS I've ever been invested in.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Master Chief would be neat, but I'd prefer Halo's go-to crossover fighter: Spartan-458.

That and I just think it'd be pretty funny if Nintendo settled for the discount Master Chief (or they got in as an alt). Nicole also appeared in Haloid, so there's that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Saying Doom and Halo are similar is as wrong as saying that Street Fighter isn't that different from Tekken.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh, that's a fun one: The fighting game genre is pretty homogeneous compared to RPGs and Platformers, so it'd be pretty redundant to have Ken and Terry in, as the 3rd party JRPG character's games all play widely differently.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'd prefer if this means Master Chief collection on Switch rather than Chief in Smash.

I mean, I'd love both, but I don't have an Xbone and my PC is a piece of trash at this point, and I CRAAAAAVE playing Reach again so much. And 3. Halo in general, really, it's the only FPS I've ever been invested in.
Same.

I really want to play the Halo series, and MCC on Switch would be really awesome since I currently can’t buy a Xbox One.

D

Deleted member

Oh, that's a fun one: The fighting game genre is pretty homogeneous compared to RPGs and Platformers, so it'd be pretty redundant to have Ken and Terry in, as the 3rd party JRPG character's games all play widely differently.
The puzzle game genre is pretty homogeneous compared to RPgs and Platformers, so it’d be pretty redundant to have Layton and Wright in, as the 3rd party JRPG character’s games all play widely different.
Let’s make this a chain.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Master Chief is just Ken with a hat smh

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
It’s either way easily or both

The mcc collection on switch is where this is pointed but master chief could come by later for post pass or is FP5 to be announced with the collection on switch
if it was bundled with a Smash reveal, its definitely post-pass tbh

D

Deleted member

The Metroidvania genre is pretty homogeneous compared to RPGs and Platformers, so it’d be pretty redundant to have Samus and Simon in, as the 3rd party JRPG character’s games all play widely different.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
If we DO get an FPS rep in Smash, i think my boy, "EA Loot Box" deserves a spot.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
How is it any different from the KOS-MOS fans taking 4chan leaks as facts for her being a lock? It's just people speculating dude.
Literally nobody is taking the 4chan leak as fact. We are just waiting until Thursday to see if it dies. I know some of you hate KOS-MOS but it's starting to get ridiculous now. If it were any other character in this leak like doomguy/geno we wouldn't be seeing this negative reception.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I'm of the same mind. Master Chief in Smash would be cool, but Halo as a franchise is one that I've heard so much about but never had the chance to play due to lacking the system to do it. It coming to the Switch would be very exciting to me since I'd finally be able to play it and see for myself how great the games are. Plus being able to do it on the go would be a bonus.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You're talking about discussion in general...so you came onto Smashboards as a sort of "mediator" when again, majority of people are simply taking it as the collection being ported to Switch? To me the real bias seems to be that you don't like it when people talk about FPS characters, lol
I don’t actually care either way lol it’s just an observation on my part.

No need to take pot shots here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Master Chief is just Ken with a hat smh
Ken is just Marth with blond hair.
Marth is just medieval Shulk.
Shulk is just photoshopped Little Mac.
Little Mac is just Terry without kicks.
Terry is Master Chief.

Yeah, it checks out.

D

Deleted member

Ken is just Marth with blond hair.
Marth is just medieval Shulk.
Shulk is just photoshopped Little Mac.
Little Mac is just Terry without kicks.
Terry is Master Chief.

Yeah, it checks out.
But hey, it’s just a theory!

A GAME THEORY

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Literally nobody is taking the 4chan leak as fact. We are just waiting until Thursday to see if it dies. I know some of you hate KOS-MOS but it's starting to get ridiculous now. If it were any other character in this leak like doomguy/geno we wouldn't be seeing this negative reception.
Why are you waiting until Thursday? It's already dead.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Also, people can't seriously be upset about Chief getting in along with Banjo, right?

Banjo might be a Microsoft property, but he's barely a Microsoft character at all. He's a RARE character. He has history with Nintendo. Moreso than he ever will with Microsoft, frankly.

Chief is ALL Microsoft. He IS Microsoft. This is like complaining about Samus in Smash, because we already have Mario. Not like Microsoft would be the only company with multiple reps anyway.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Square is pretty notorious for delays, so even guessing that wasn't too hard a thing to accomplish.
Very true, and for anyone keeping up with KH3 Dlc it was obvious that whatever it included wasn't gonna be out in December seeing as how recent trailers were still saying "coming this winter".

Although the trailer was already released, it could make another appearance, which would be odd and unlikely, but still possible.

At this point, it seems that we are already close to the awards show so we might as well wait. I personally cant give credit to any leaker who would post about the character in question like 24 hours before the reveal. Not much of a leak at that point and personally it isn't worth losing that "being surprised" factor when most of us officially see it. Would have been nice to know every character around Joker's reveal to determine whether or not it was worth purchasing the fighters pass though.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
QUESTION regarding the KOS-MOS "leak":

they claim the KH3 Re: Mind trailer would be at the VGAs, but it was aired today during State of Play. Was it only aired today because the trailer actually leaked?

Or does this deconfirm this KOS-MOS leak?
nobody knows but since the leak got the release date right it is possible plans changed. State of play is not a big event as TGA so it's hard to say. The thing that will absolutely destroy this leak is if clock tower remaster or smt v doesn't show up at TGA.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I get that some genres can seem samey when viewed from the outside but spending a little time with each can put that to bed instantly. Hell, I dislike most modern FPS games, but Duke Nukem 3D always gets my adrenaline pumping and hooks me like little else due to the maze-like structure of its levels and its fast-paced combat, extreme firepower, and careful handling of ammo and health drops. I'll take it any day over a heavy-cover regenerating health FPS.

Street Fighter is great, but I prefer Guilty Gear's combo-heavy mechanics and twitchy gameplay or Tekken's focus on face buttons over control stick inputs due to my physical limitations. By the same token, KOF rewards extreme command inputs and quick thinking with responsive, varied combat (and a hefty story mode to boot).

Every genre is different. Every genre has standouts and every genre can bring multiple mechanics and characters into Smash and appeal to a different player base. It's worth diving into a series for its merits, not "fighter rep" or "shooter rep".

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Why are you waiting until Thursday? It's already dead.
I may be overthinking this (i deff am) but maybe the KH3 trailer was supposed to be at the VGAs, but when it got leaked it got moved to State of Play? i have no idea

SKX31

Smash Master
the video game medium is pretty homogeneous compared to movies and tv shows, so it'd be pretty redundant to have Mario and Sonic in, as the Japanese Martial Arts movies are all widely different
The only way to be truly original...

Is to go back to the drawing board.

#CathodeRayTubeAmusementDevice4Smash

:4pacman:

One thing makes me happy in the midst of all this speculative mess: fighter #5 is not leaking.
Hopefully. I couldn't imagine this place if it had leaked just after the leaker drama though, I'm happy it didn't.

(Famous last words, I know.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom