• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
rules are for nerds.
Smash Bros is made for nerds, by nerds.

also sakurai has a pretty good get out of jail free card for geralt. this specific incarnation of him comes from a video game so unless sakurai explicitly bases him off his book incarnation, then the rule isn't broken.
No, it'd still be broken. Sakurai can't just put a red coat on Scrooge McDuck and go "He's the one from the NES game, not the cartoon, so the rule still isn't broken!"

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why is "weight theory" a thing? 3 of 5 DLC characters are quite on the heavier side; Hero, Banjo and Terry. Banjo and Terry would count as heavyweights actually. Hero is something of a middle weight, but Smash doesn't even really do middle weight as Mario is statically on the heavier side and he's supposed to be Mr. Middle Ground. There's a overabundance of light weight fighters in Smash. But we haven't had a lightweight newcomer yet. Joker is 93 in weight vallue and that sort of counts as the actually mid weight of the characters in Smash.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Why is "weight theory" a thing? 3 of 5 DLC characters are quite on the heavier side; Hero, Banjo and Terry. Banjo and Terry would count as heavyweights actually. Hero is something of a middle weight, but Smash doesn't even really do middle weight as Mario is statically on the heavier side and he's supposed to be Mr. Middle Ground. There's a overabundance of light weight fighters in Smash. But we haven't had a lightweight newcomer yet. Joker is 93 in weight vallue and that sort of counts as the actually mid weight of the characters in Smash.
People like making silly theories for fun and to kill time. It's a joke. Not that deep.
Smash Bros is made for nerds, by nerds.

No, it'd still be broken. Sakurai can't just put a red coat on Scrooge McDuck and go "He's the one from the NES game, not the cartoon, so the rule still isn't broken!"
But my god I wish he would. :(

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I highly doubt anyone was serious about it as weight is whatever the **** Sakurai wants

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
So IF it were to be a Nintendo character, tell me who you guys think is likely but sticking to these two conditions:
-Not Fire Emblem or any already repped franchises (let's assume for a second they'll not break the "adding new worlds to the franchise" pattern just yet, for varietys sake, which would also imply "no spirits or AT upgrades", at least for now)
-Not Astral Chain (or games released later than Xenoblade 2, since Rex was apparently "too late" and missed the bus)

I just want to see options other than the usual.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Ok so here’s the updated casualty list for FP5 assuming all insider claims are correct:
  • Bethesda (Doom Slayer, Dovahkiin, Vault Boy)
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Scorpion
  • Geno
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Tracer
  • Capcom (Arthur, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil)
  • Bandai Namco (KOS-MOS, Nightmare, Tales Of, Tekken)
  • Gordon Freeman
  • Level 5 (Layton)
  • Falcom
  • Ubisoft (Rayman, Assassin’s Creed)
  • Master Chief (counting the PR’s statement here)
  • Sora (see Master Chief)
  • And probably some company or individual character I’m missing

Doesn’t seem very likely overall
  • Spike Chunsoft
  • Marvelous
  • Indies
  • Square Enix (I doubt double dipping)
  • Microsoft (see Square Enix)
  • SNK (same)
  • Atlus (same)
  • Sega (Atlus IS owned by Sega despite being listed separately in the copyright list)
  • Sony (I think Microsoft may be the sole exception to the rival company rep rule)
  • EA (just...EA. Bella Goth would be funny tho)
  • Konami (who else are you gonna choose? Pyramid Head isn’t CERO friendly, Bomberman’s an AT, and I doubt Bill Rizer)

Looking more and more likely by the second:
  • Nintendo
Considering Nintendo as likely seems to be ignoring the pattern that has been established thus far. All third party characters.
So far we've only received 3rd party characters who are the primary hero's in their respective games. The series as well have been new additions to the Smash series as a whole.

That being said, I doubt Geno, and any other Nintendo properties will make the cut for FP5.

I will say this though, Geno will be back as either fully playable, or get the Sans treatment. Just not until after FP5 is announced.

Hopefully its a big reveal though, and hopefully it is a video game character.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I highly doubt anyone was serious about it as weight is whatever the **** Sakurai wants
Gotta love how Sakurai blocked Ridley from being a playable character in Smash for more than a decade for being too big and in the end he made his weight lighter than Samus.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Heavy character? Cosmoem confirmed.

I was a little skeptical to begin with since it wasn't said by Sabi or Vergeben. So, what are the odds of a Bethesda character getting in anyway?
Expectation? High.
Desire? Negligible.

Bethesda is probably the one company I've seen mentioned by anyone (including myself) that I'd have the least interest in.
So, it's probably them.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Oh I meant "Hey guys this specific character is in", otherwise Nintendo would be announcing like 10 different characters there
Lmao, obviously.
Also, adds 4Chan leaks to that, and we probably would have a roster of 200+ characters

(Remember that time people believed that Gothitell leak?)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
On a more serious note we now have Sabi saying they haven't deconfirmed Bethesda, this might be the answer to all those who continue claiming Sabi's "FP5 is not related to the mii costumes" tweet is a deconfirmation of all of Bethesda.
The problem here is that there is no other character they could pull from the Doom series besides Doom Guy so that's why I think their source deconfirmed Bethesda as a whole.

I just made this dumb theory because I was bored.

Hey you guys want a new theory? Too bad! Here it is because Smash news is slow!

Have you ever noticed that characters in the fighters pass get progressively heavier?

:ultjoker: - 93
:ulthero: - 101
:ultbanjokazooie: - 106
:ult_terry: - 108

So the next character is going to be heavier than Terry! I just know that this theory is going to pull through! :ultpacman:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Does anyone realize how the people in the leaker community are too broad? Something about it seems odd. They never addressed any fighters with any weird rep situations or what they consider to be in the company.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So IF it were to be a Nintendo character, tell me who you guys think is likely but sticking to these two conditions:
-Not Fire Emblem or any already repped franchises (let's assume for a second they'll not break the "adding new worlds to the franchise" pattern just yet, for varietys sake, which would also imply "no spirits or AT upgrades", at least for now)
-Not Astral Chain (or games released later than Xenoblade 2, since Rex was apparently "too late" and missed the bus)

So no spirits, no series' repped already in any form, and Nintendo?

Uh...Mike from Startropics I guess? Nester to represent the Virtual Boy as a whole? Uh...the NES Pro Wrestlers? Someone from Endless Ocean? This is hard.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

EDIT: Whoops, misread the post.

EDIT2: Now that I actually read the post, I honestly can't think of any characters that fit these conditions. Maybe something out there like Box Boy or Pushmo? I don't know, honestly.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Lmao, obviously.
Also, adds 4Chan leaks to that, and we probably would have a roster of 200+ characters

(Remember that time people believed that Gothitell leak?)
lol Gothitell leak, was that the one where it claimed a promotional Switch got stolen that magically erased its data? Or am I mixing it up with another “leak”?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
This is the third time Sabi has talked about someone who mentioned Capcom, yet refused to comment on the company themselves.

I just wanna know if I should give up hope, man...
Sabi not saying anything on Capcom is sus, though they did say they were gonna stop deconfirming anyone for now.

I'm waiting for Vergeben to say his piece on this matter. If he agrees and says Fighter 5 really isn't Capcom, then that's basically it. Better luck next slot. But if he disagrees and says "Fighter 5 actually is Capcom" or at least "I haven't heard this info anywhere from anyone", then that means that there's some sort of false info being passed around by insiders.

In fact, you could say there's a contradiction being passed around.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Sabi not saying anything on Capcom is sus, though they did say they were gonna stop deconfirming anyone for now.

I'm waiting for Vergeben to say his piece on this matter. If he agrees and says Fighter 5 really isn't Capcom, then that's basically it. Better luck next slot. But if he disagrees and says "Fighter 5 actually is Capcom" or at least "I haven't heard this info anywhere from anyone", then that means that there's some sort of false info being passed around by insiders.

In fact, you could say there's a contradiction being passed around.
Speculation right now feels like an Ace Attorney case with all this confusion and possible contradictions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

BuT CaPtAiN ToAd cAn't jUmP!!!!!

Remember when people were passin' that argument around like gospel?
What? Sakurai can just... make him jump. It's not like Isabelle and the Villager are actual homicidal maniacs like they are in Smash Bros.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I’d say “Later than ARMS” really. Spring Man’s an Assist Trophy so he was too late too

honestly tho at this rate they ARE gonna have to pull from the spirit pool for upgrades tbh

Considering Nintendo as likely seems to be ignoring the pattern that has been established thus far. All third party characters.
So far we've only received 3rd party characters who are the primary hero's in their respective games. The series as well have been new additions to the Smash series as a whole.

That being said, I doubt Geno, and any other Nintendo properties will make the cut for FP5.

I will say this though, Geno will be back as either fully playable, or get the Sans treatment. Just not until after FP5 is announced.

Hopefully its a big reveal though, and hopefully it is a video game character.
remember all of Smash 4’s newcomer DLC was third party EXCEPT for Corrin. Not counting Mewtwo, Lucas or Roy as they were veterans.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
What? Sakurai can just... make him jump. It's not like Isabelle and the Villager are actual homicidal maniacs like they are in Smash Bros.
"bUt SaKuRaI kEePs ChArAcTeRs FaItHfUl To SoUrCe MaTErIaL!!!111!!" Is what you'll usually hear.

Except for the fact that he doesn't always and comes up with random stuff for characters all the time, but, y'know, Captain Toad can't jump!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Compromises are made when necessary

if sakurai made characters completely true to their source material, then Sonic, Inkling, and Charizard would've automatically died/drowned in water. instead, he had them simply accumulate damage

in a similar fashion, I'd say captain toad would be able to jump, though it'd most certinally be among the worst in the game

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I remember I once talked about how either Toad could have references to Captain Toad in his moveset (along with SMB2, Wario's Woods and others) or Captain Toad could be the only character in the game with only one jump because of his heavy backpack, but have his recovery be insane to compensate for that.

D

Deleted member

Compromises are made when necessary

if sakurai made characters completely true to their source material, then Sonic, Inkling, and Charizard would've automatically died in water

instead, he had them simply accumulate damage

in a similar fashion, I'd say captain toad would be able to jump, tough it'd most certinally be among the worst in the game
If Sakurai wanted to be true to the source material here's what would happen

:ultmario: dies in like 2 hits without a power up
:ultdk::ultdiddy:dies in one hit
:ultkrool:is impervious until he throws his crown
:ultfalcon:should be in his car and running people over 24/7
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:should be in ships, perfectly incapable of being reached
:ultpokemontrainer:should just use :ultcharizard: as his other two Pokemon are underleveled
:ultisabelle:would be hospitalized because she's not a fighter
:ultlittlemac:would do 1% damage with each punch
:ultsonic:dies when not holding rings
:ultroy:would suck
:ultrobin:can't use nosferatu in his base class
:ultchrom:doesn't learn great aether at his base class
:ultgnw:isn't a single character
:ultjoker:would have ditched Arsene years ago for, like, Satan or something
:ulthero:no rng command menu
:ultsamus:would have killed the animals and saved the frames
:ultridley:would be too big
:ultpit::ultdarkpit:would have been an anime zoner
:ultshulk::ultcloud: should be overpowered

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If Sakurai wanted to be true to the source material here's what would happen

[Edited for brevity]
Not to mention the fact that almost none of them can double jump.

:ultpokemontrainer:should just use :ultcharizard: as his other two Pokemon are underleveled
Oh, so like in Smash 4? That also explains Rock Smash, can't finish a Pokémon game without someone in the role of HM slave. :4pacman:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
This is the third time Sabi has talked about someone who mentioned Capcom, yet refused to comment on the company themselves.

I just wanna know if I should give up hope, man...
Quoting myself AND being delusional, but...
Looks like Sabi is really refusing to deconfirm Capcom. They're not even saying anything among the lines of "hey guys there's this rumor, im not sure about it, I'll investigate, idk, might be true", like with previous leaks and rumors, they're just straight up saying "I never heard nor said Capcom is out, wth, where did this even come from, don't quote me on that when it's eventually wrong" ... well, not exactly, but you get the point. Im not sure. Might be a reason for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom