• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Last year I was like: “Watch Dimitri get in Smash and dab on the competition” due to his unpopularity at the time. Oh man... if I’m right about that...
highkey sleeper pick tbh
byleth is boring, edelgard is somewhat controversial (especially in the east), and claude is irrelevant
dimitri is pretty much universally loved everywhere and i could easily see sakurai holding off on a 3h character for the first fighter's pass to decide on which one's the best choice to appeal to most people. not to mention he would have a fun moveset, which saks is all about- dimitri is one for flashy flips and spins and spear yeets and ground smashing and beating people to death with his bare ****ing hands and he would also be the first canonical war criminal in smash

why am i getting my hopes up we all know it's gonna be the ****ing self insert avatar character again
or edelgard but she's cool at least

Roberk

Smash Champion
challenger 6 will be byleth to kick off wave 2 and coincide with the TH expansion's release on april 30th

watch this space
After Byleth they'll add FP 7 with Edelgard, then FP8 with Dimitri, and FP9 with Claude.
fighters pass 2.jpg

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Banjo didn’t have new games but he was still a meme. If he wasn’t a meme, Yooka-leeli wouldn’t be a thing.
When was Banjo a meme? And Yooka-Laylee is a thing because the original devs who left Rare wanted to make what was essentially a new entry in a series they were passionate about.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Remember there is one factor that is unpredictable: The silent majority.

What I'm saying is we don't know what everyone wants solely because no one site has everyone.

So basically, who knows what we could receive.
Dovahkiin's really the only one that comes to mind.

D

Deleted member

highkey sleeper pick tbh
byleth is boring, edelgard is somewhat controversial (especially in the east), and claude is irrelevant
dimitri is pretty much universally loved everywhere and i could easily see sakurai holding off on a 3h character for the first fighter's pass to decide on which one's the best choice to appeal to most people. not to mention he would have a fun moveset, which saks is all about- dimitri is one for flashy flips and spins and spear yeets and ground smashing and beating people to death with his bare ****ing hands and he would also be the first canonical war criminal in smash

why am i getting my hopes up we all know it's gonna be the ****ing self insert avatar character again
This is why we need Byleth but done like Pokemon Trainer where he controls the three house leaders.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
This is why we need Byleth but done like Pokemon Trainer where he controls the three house leaders.

claude using both a red and blue joycon as his controllers represents how claude secretly masterminds the entire conflict of three houses from behind the scenes

1575337448860.png

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember there is one factor that is unpredictable: The silent majority.

What I'm saying is we don't know what everyone wants solely because no one site has everyone.

So basically, who knows what we could receive.
I would have said Professor Layton feels like a silent majority pick but he's a no go now apparently.

Cooking Mama maybe?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You know, considering Pokemon has already had a net gain of four characters from Smash 4 to Ultimate, if there are going to be 1st Party characters in DLC, I'd kind of rather see most other franchises get a rep instead (DK, Zelda, and Xenoblade being the frontrunners). I mean even Fire Emblem only got Chrom this time around.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
highkey sleeper pick tbh

Mmmm as someone who played GD first, I can tell you that Claude isn’t irrelevant at all. He’s the neutral party. When two people are arguing over stuff, he’s the one who does research to look into the details. I will say though that he’s the hardest to make a moveset for, as much as I’d like him to be in the game. I CAN think of some, but it’s stupidly memey, like I imagine him yeeting poison bottles a la Belmont Holy Water and using the axe as a close quarters thing.

But yeah, Byleth is probably gonna come instead of those three. As much as I’d like a house leader, there’s gonna be salt regardless of which one you add, because someone is gonna be mad if you picked one over the other. Cant win no matter who gets in, but if Pokemon can deal with Incineroar over Decidueye, I guess we can deal with Eddie over the other two.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I still think people are sleeping on the possibility of a Pokemon rep.
Even though I'm a huge Pokemon fan, I'd rather not have a SwSh rep. The games have some sweet designs, but none of the ones I like would be playable. They would inevitably choose a starter final stage, and unlike SM where I liked all of them, the SwSh ones are just kinda meh to me.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
No doubt BK has a following, but if we wanted to examine popular characters in 2018, Octopath Traveler and Kratos would have gotten in without question.
I don’t see either of them being interesting for Sakurai. He’s more of the ambitious kind of guy.

Roberk

Smash Champion

Just Byleth for a certain amount of percent and depending on your playstyle you amass different support points for Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude, and whichever one you get to first you get to have as you adjutant for the rest of the stock.

D

Deleted member

Don't you think Geralt might be too big a reveal to be saved for last?
I don't believe a character is too big to be saved for last, and I think it's silly to look at the last characters added to the base roster of previous Smash games as a reason that FP5 won't be a big name. A better question would be if Geralt is fitting to close off the Fighter Pass since Smash 4 ended with the Ballot pick, which makes sense to why Bayonetta was last. If you're looking for me to answer that question, well I don't have any answers right now so I kinda ****ed myself over.

Roberk

Smash Champion
bro that's some heavy spoilers lmao
lotta people haven't played the alois route yet so maybe lay off?
Yeah, you have to play the Tomas and Kronya routes before you can branch into the Alois route from the Pallardo route. Almost no one has beaten it.

D

Deleted member

Just Byleth for a certain amount of percent and depending on your playstyle you amass different support points for Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude, and whichever one you get to first you get to have as you adjutant for the rest of the stock.
You start the game as Byleth and then a command menu pops up that forces you to choose between Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. Afterwards, the other two options become locked behind the Switch's code and you wont be able to play them ever.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
He’s the neutral party
which is why he spends about 8 chapters post-timeskip toppling one of the sides in the world's biggest escalation from "we'll disrupt them a little" then fights the mole people for a chapter then fights a final boss who comes out of nowhere and has absolutely nothing to do with claude all the while somehow gathering even less information than the silver snow route

1575337834034.png

Roberk

Smash Champion
You start the game as Byleth and then a command menu pops up that forces you to choose between Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. Afterwards, the other two options become locked behind the Switch's code and you wont be able to play them ever.
The two other options are given to your opponent and you have to kill them to win the match.

D

Deleted member

which is why he spends about 8 chapters post-timeskip toppling one of the sides in the world's biggest escalation from "we'll disrupt them a little" then fights the mole people for a chapter then fights a final boss who comes out of nowhere and has absolutely nothing to do with claude all the while somehow gathering even less information than the silver snow route

View attachment 249527
he did the research to look into the details and found the script for ss and decided to take a peek

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
If Sakurai groaned over making the Pokémon trainer, I don’t think he’s gonna even think about making all three house leaders playable lol.

The only idea I have is that maybe the house leaders act as adjutants. Like Popo and Nana, you can pick which char you’ll team up with before the match starts. One issue though is, let’s say that you can change the color of Byleth and their adjutant. Byleth can have all 8 colors, Dimitri and Edelgard can have their academy alt, timeskip alt, and an extra color but Claude only gets his timeskip and academy and that’s mighty awkward LOL.

We’re getting Byleth. Case closed.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
If Sakurai groaned over making the Pokémon trainer, I don’t think he’s gonna even think about making all three house leaders playable lol.

The only idea I have is that maybe the house leaders act as adjutants. Like Popo and Nana, you can pick which char you’ll team up with before the match starts. One issue though is, let’s say that you can change the color of Byleth and their adjutant. Byleth can have all 8 colors, Dimitri and Edelgard can have their academy alt, timeskip alt, and an extra color but Claude only gets his timeskip and academy and that’s mighty awkward LOL.

What if Sakurai groaned over PT because it reminded him too much of Rex’s potential?

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion

Yeah being realistic having adjutants seems like a good compromise: Byleth makes up the majority of the moveset with whipsword, punching, and faith, and the lords can fill in some moves with some very basic attacks/animations without being their own movesets.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

View attachment 249527
SIlver Snow route pretty much trivializes his route yeah, but that’s an issue with the game in general
There’s more they could’ve done with the story, but the game was delayed several times so sacrifices were made.
If I had a dime for every time someone had issues about Crimson Flower being too short, I would’ve had enough money to buy everyone in here the Fighter’s Pack.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 249527
Say what you want but at least he's the most well-adjusted of the other 3 leaders
They desperately need some therapists in Fódlan because everyone either has deep-seated issues or is off their ****in rocker

Last edited by a moderator:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
We're getting Claude with Byleth instructing him in the background and you're going to like it damn it.

KatKit

Smash Lord
The Nier support is agreeable, but I feel as though I'm the only one who gives af about A2.
Right now, we just need our foot in the door, fam. A2 is also cool, but we gotta back the character who has the most chance of getting in lol. Even when she's out of the picture, a good chunk of the game's plot revolved around 2B. Technically there are 3 protagonists, but 2B is arguably the main one.

With that being said... I'm open to an A2 echo or semi clone. Your concept for an A2 moveset kinda won me over. I like the taunt thing.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I'm a huge Pokemon fan, I'd rather not have a SwSh rep. The games have some sweet designs, but none of the ones I like would be playable. They would inevitably choose a starter final stage, and unlike SM where I liked all of them, the SwSh ones are just kinda meh to me.
I see a lot of people saying this, but a starter isn't really all that inevitable. Out of 10 fighters, only the past two Pokemon reps have been starters who got in through their own merit. The only reason Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are a thing is because PT represents the player character we control in every game, and switching between Pokemon is a crucial part of those games.

Doesn't seem any different from Smash 4 when people were complaining about Chrom because they considered him to be a lock. Every character prior to Robin and Lucina was the main lord of their game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom