• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

I.D.

Smash Lord
...Then why isn't Rex in? lol
Same reason Elma didn't make it in 4, or Ultimate's base roster for that matter. Sakurai may like Xenoblade, but he obviously doesn't like it enough to churn out characters from every new entry.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well hold on, I'm gonna need a source for that because I've never heard that. All I know was DLC was finalized on November 2018, which Sakurai tweeted about. Negotiations aren't just decided in a month and I remember hearing from somebody @Opossum that DLC might have been considered as early as spring

Because Rex was too early. Sakurai had enough time to squeeze XC2 content into base game. Meanwhile Three Houses was about a year later and could tie into marketing similar to that of Corrin in Smash 4.
Well let's face it, Fire Emblem would get the priority over Xenoblade. :p

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Joker literally set the world on fire
I guess some men just want to watch the world burn.

Welcome back to Rate Their Chances in the wrong thread, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

I want y'all to just humor me for a moment. Don't give me any generic "oh maybe a character from [x] company or [y] game".

Quote this post, and tell me who you, personally, believe the 5th Fighter's Pass character is gonna be.
Well, considering I really have no confident ideas about FP5's identity one way or the other, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and guess at Quote from Cave Story. Please correct me if there's any glaring obstacles against his inclusion, but I haven't seen any major hurdles he has to cross. While Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Sans were all popular indie reps who unfortunately didn't make the cut as fighters, Quote seems to stand a chance because of Cave Story's notable legacy as a keystone of indie games, originally hitting the scene as early as 2004, and being a prime source of inspiration for indie titles to come. I'm not too familiar with the series myself, but he seems to have decent moveset potential and music tracks to draw from, and can fit snugly in the world of Smash.

FP5 is Euden from Dragalia Lost, just to be a curveball pick and also to piss everyone off because their favorite 3rd party character didn't get in instead.
Sakurai at the VGAs: "You thought that you were getting another third-party fighter? I sure gacha there, didn't I?"

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I'm going to shoot my shot: I don't think FP5 is from Capcom. We'll see if it gets disconfirmed before the reveal or not. My guess is going to be a Square-Enix character, and if not them then Sega. Pure gut call, nothing to base it on. But who knows? Maybe I'll be right.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well hold on, I'm gonna need a source for that because I've never heard that. All I know was DLC was finalized on November 2018, which Sakurai tweeted about. Negotiations aren't just decided in a month and I remember hearing from somebody @Opossum that DLC might have been considered as early as spring

Because Rex was too early. Sakurai had enough time to squeeze XC2 content into base game. Meanwhile Three Houses was about a year later and could tie into marketing similar to that of Corrin in Smash 4.
Yeah, I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

I just hope that maybe Rex or another Xeno rep could be used as promotion for XC:DE during post-pass or something.

D

Deleted member

If a 3H character were being used for marketing, why would they not have replaced Hero or Banjo at E3? If they were fighter 5 then that would place their release date around February 2020 at the latest, more than half a year after their game's release, at which point every Switch owner will have already likely heard of it, purchased it if they were into it, or skipped on it if they weren't.
Again I'm not ruling out the possibility of one of the lords/Byleth for season 2, but I just feel that they were too late to have a shot this time, and the "marketing" reason just doesn't cut it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

I just hope that maybe Rex or another Xeno rep could be used as promotion for XC:DE during post-pass or something.
My signature doesn't lie. I'm hoping Rex gets in and the Post Pass doesn't follow the exact same pattern the FP has.

D

Deleted member

XC2 in Smash would not be the same without the “DON’T FORGET ME” and “THINK YOU CAN’T TAKE ME” acapella.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
scenes when the most wholesome goodboi lord gets in
Last year I was like: “Watch Dimitri get in Smash and dab on the competition” due to his unpopularity at the time. Oh man... if I’m right about that...

D

Deleted member

If a 3H character were being used for marketing, why would they not have replaced Hero or Banjo at E3? If they were fighter 5 then that would place their release date around February 2020 at the latest, more than half a year after their game's release, at which point every Switch owner will have already likely heard of it, purchased it if they were into it, or skipped on it if they weren't.
Again I'm not ruling out the possibility of one of the lords/Byleth for season 2, but I just feel that they were too late to have a shot this time, and the "marketing" reason just doesn't cut it for me.
That's... actually my biggest issue with Three Houses. The timing does sound like a stretch for FP 5 and it goes against the third party pattern. It's a wait and see, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
What we need to look into are the most popular characters around 2018 in particular. Terry, Joker, Banjo, and Hero certainly had this thing for them in 2018. I know that indie games like Hollow Knight had insane results in Japan (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...st_recommended_digital_switch_game_this_month). So what games had pretty good results in 2018? Enough positive results to get Nintendo to consider them as a possible fighter?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
That's... actually my biggest issue with Three Houses. The timing does sound like a stretch for FP 5 and it goes against the third party pattern. It's a wait and see, I suppose.
challenger 6 will be byleth to kick off wave 2 and coincide with the TH expansion's release on april 30th

watch this space

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
What we need to look into are the most popular characters around 2018 in particular. Terry, Joker, Banjo, and Hero certainly had this thing for them in 2018. I know that indie games like Hollow Knight had insane results in Japan (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...st_recommended_digital_switch_game_this_month). So what games had pretty good results in 2018? Enough positive results to get Nintendo to consider them as a possible fighter?
Ah yes, the "was this character relevant at a certain point in time" argument. A tried and true classic that never actually gets anywhere.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well props to Nintendo's Ninja Lawyers.

They got the leakers so scared that they're only doing 20 questions rather than confirming things. Now it's 10 days to go until TGA and we're clueless.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still think people are sleeping on the possibility of a Pokemon rep.
Problem is we have no idea who it'll be.

Marketability is what drives Pokemon decisions and this gen Game Freak have failed to mark out a Pokemon to push. All the pre-release Pokemon were early game finds or evolutions of previous ones.
This Generation has no Lucario or Greninja so far.

I made a support thread for Falinks if that helps.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If RE spirits deconfirmed Resident Evil for FP 5, Gen 8 spirits deconfirmed Gen 8 for FP 5.
I highly doubt any of the first-party games released this year are Fighter #5. If every character was planned before production started, why have the Three Houses or Astral Chain rep show up last when you could ask Sakurai to work on them first or second so they can tie in with the launch of their games?

Three Houses, Astral Chain, and SwSh should be a topic for post pass, not Fighter #5.

D

Deleted member

Banjo didn’t had games but he was a meme. If he wasn’t a meme, Yooka-leeli wouldn’t be a thing.
No doubt BK has a following, but if we wanted to examine popular characters in 2018, Octopath Traveler and Kratos would have gotten in without question.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Problem is we have no idea who it'll be.

Marketability is what drives Pokemon decisions and this gen Game Freak have failed to mark out a Pokemon to push. All the pre-release Pokemon were early game finds or evolutions of previous ones.
This Generation has no Lucario or Greninja so far.

I made a support thread for Falinks if that helps.
Honestly none of the Pokemon in sword and shield really leave enough of an impression for smash.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt any of the first-party games released this year are Fighter #5. If every character was planned before production started, why have the Three Houses or Astral Chain rep show up last when you could ask Sakurai to work on them first or second so they can tie in with the launch of their games?

Three Houses, Astral Chain, and SwSh should be a topic for post pass, not Fighter #5.
Oh okay. Thought you meant FP 5.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Is it his clown shoes? That's usually why people dislike the boy.
I don't care for the clown shoes, but that's just cosmetic and not the main problem.

Let's imagine an alternate reality where Sakurai didn't make Smash bros. Instead Sakurai takes all these classic Nintendo franchises into a crossover game, but for some reason decides to focus on some random OCs he created for this game. Then he gives the most mindbogglingly convoluted and melodramatic story possible.

That's how I feel about Kingdom Hearts, I love Disney stuff and it feels like the awesome concept for the series got hijacked by fanficion levels of writing and characters I don't care about. Also I've never really been a fan of Shonen protagonist-like characters. The speculation thread is probably not the best place to voice my distaste with a character since it has little to do with the actual chances of a character, but I had to get it off my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom