• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
They seriously don’t need more stages in smash, it wastes too much time on stuff that players will largely ignore because the fighter and legal stages are far more important for them. What we need is an option to select a list of pickable stages.
This is one of the hottest take regarding Smash i've ever seen. Stage are just as important as fighters when it comes to representing new franchices in Smash, and I'm pretty sure Sakurai doesn't care that a small portion of the fanbase is going to play only on FD and Animal Crossing stages.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
One thing I do hope they do differently for a second Fighters Pass, or just post-Pass DLC in general: reveal all the characters ahead of time.

For a Fighters Pass 2, instead of drip feeding the characters to us one at a time, just make one big cinematic trailer where all the characters are getting invitations to Smash, leaving us just waiting for gameplay presentations like with Hero, Banjo, and Terry.

A good example of what I'm referring to would be the announcement trailer/cinematic opening for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, which revealed all the Season 3 DLC characters ahead of time, and was positively received by fans after the Season 2 DLC characters were just slowly revealed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They seriously don’t need more stages in smash, it wastes too much time on stuff that players will largely ignore because the fighter and legal stages are far more important for them. What we need is an option to select a list of pickable stages.
Speak for yourself, Mementos is still one of the highlights of the pass for me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't know. The whole idea is that it's all together in one category. Under the same series symbol. It would require them to reorganize things. It would mean that new Spirit battles for the same characters would have to be made. It just seems highly unlikely with the initial plan Sakurai made and how everything is being set up.

Remember, he decided how the DLC was going to be way back when the game was complete. He could have changed his mind now, but at that time there seems to be a clear vision of how these packs are going to work.
He never said DLC was decided when the game started development; in fact, he said the devs didn’t know until January last year, and characters weren’t even done being negotiated for. Season 2 wasn’t even decided until E3 this year - at least, according to Imran Khan, one of the insiders with a bunch of cred.

Depending on the character upgraded, their spirit battle wouldn’t need to get changed at all, and there’s no reason their series icon would be a problem when they can obviously keep the same one for all of the stuff they bring. Even the Mario series has characters and enemies missing that could be added as spirits, and stages shouldn’t be an issue.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If future DLC doesn't come with a stage then I can see almost anyone (even Spirits or Assist Trophies) being made into a fighter. Right now that's not the case.

In fact, I have a feeling future fighters will not be a part of a pack. It will just be the fighter. Maybe they'll come with a new song or two. But I just have a feeling after FP5 things are going to be a little more laid back. Things might be winding down.
Remember Sakurai plan for FP2 was for more game worlds to be added to the series, and if he thinks that the best way to do that is by adding a stage that represents said world, then he'll put in the work to add it in. It's just how he is, but if things are a bit more laid back I have no problem with that either.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One of my biggest peeves with Ultimate is the dearth of new stages, so I'll take anything I can get. Even if we get a character that doesn't need one (like, dunno, Balloon Fighter) I'd still hope we could get a random new one or a returning one like Poke Floats.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
One wants to but most of us get disoriented by it so we tell him to **** off similar to how I'm told to **** off if I want the Bayo stage
I love the Umbra Clock Tower visually, but damn is everything in the background distracting as all hell when you actually fight on it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
All right everyone for spirit Upgrades how Linley would you rate these chances?
Geno
Shantae
Rayman
Bwd
Elma
Dixie kong
Medusa
Rex & pyra
Paper mario
Nitten
Black shadow

Rate em
Very likely: Shantae, Dixie Kong, Rex & Pyra, Geno - Extras: Octolings
Likely: Rayman, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Elma.
Hard to say: Leon, Chris, Jill and Wesker, Gen VIII Pokémon (for now - they probably need a bit more time to figure out a choice that would be popular and unique - perhaps something like Hatterene or Toxtricity)
Unlikely: Medusa, Paper Mario.
Very Unlikely: Ninten, Black Shadow.
That's probably my best estimate.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
A fraction of the game's fanbase is competitive, so whether a stage is legal or not isn't really relevant to a lot of people. I get that there's an argument that more casual fans wouldn't buy the DLC in the first place, but is there anything to actually back that up?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I don't really agree with this view point.

I'm speaking this opinion as someone who does play Ultimate competitively, but part of the reason why reveals such as Banjo-Kazooie were so exciting wasn't just because of how they translated their moves into Smash, but the fact that they lovingly recreated Spiral Mountain with all of these references helped make the Banjo series feel like it had a place in the roster rather than it being disconnected from the rest of the cast.

While Spiral Mountain is far from being the most functionally sound stage in Ultimate, I feel like it and Yggdrasil's Altar are among the most impressive stages in terms of scope.

It's also a blessing to have Battlefield and Omega forms for people who want a more traditional experience. :)

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
...ehh, whatever I'm going to ask It: Is there any actual merit to John's video about Spirits and AT promotion or it's just him going "Here's How Resident Evil can still win" for 8 minutes? Like, does he bring the same point everyone use for dismiss the deconfirmation argoment (like bringing up Chrom or Kaptain K.Rool)?

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
...ehh, whatever I'm going to ask It: Is there any actual merit to John's video about Spirits and AT promotion or it's just him going "Here's How Resident Evil can still win" for 8 minutes? Like, does he bring the same point everyone use for dismiss the deconfirmation argoment (like bringing up Chrom or Kaptain K.Rool)?
It's more of a "Here's how Brexit and Pyrrha" can stil win. He's only really talking about base game content being eligible for updates, with stuff like RE he acknowledges that there isn't much of a chance.

Most of my friends are fine with the background, it's the shaking that disorients them
God I wish that were me

I can pretty much never focus on that stage.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Having the fighters come with all the trimmings is a large part of the appeal.
Seeing the new stages can be as interesting (if not more, in some cases) as seeing the new fighters to me, so dropping all that would be a shame. :-(

"Here's Reimu!"
"But no stage or music..."

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Having the fighters come with all the trimmings is a large part of the appeal.
Seeing the new stages can be as interesting (if not more, in some cases) as seeing the new fighters to me, so dropping all that would be a shame. :-(

"Here's Reimu!"
"But no stage or music..."
Personally, I feel that all music should be pickable for all stages.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
One thing I do hope they do differently for a second Fighters Pass, or just post-Pass DLC in general: reveal all the characters ahead of time.

For a Fighters Pass 2, instead of drip feeding the characters to us one at a time, just make one big cinematic trailer where all the characters are getting invitations to Smash, leaving us just waiting for gameplay presentations like with Hero, Banjo, and Terry.

A good example of what I'm referring to would be the announcement trailer/cinematic opening for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, which revealed all the Season 3 DLC characters ahead of time, and was positively received by fans after the Season 2 DLC characters were just slowly revealed.
While that could be potentially exciting at first, for marketing purposes it's more beneficial to reveal one by one during extended periods of time. This also keeps consumers invested in the game as they will be waiting for news of who is going to be the next fighter and ready to buy it when they drop.

With one big reveal, you also risk for your DLC fighters to overshadow each other.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
uh oh.png

So let me recap: the following characters are (likely) out for CP#5:
  1. Reimu
  2. Ryu Hayabusa
  3. Crash
  4. Tracer
  5. Scorpion
  6. Doomguy
  7. Geno
  8. Gordon Freeman
  9. Dante
  10. Resident Evil
  11. Ubisoft
Please tell me if I got anything wrong or missed anything. Anyways, with the way things are going, I'm thinking Sora is likely. (Watch as he gets "deconfirmed" within the coming week or something.)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Unless we're only getting 2 or 3 characters after the Fighters Pass, I don't see why they would deviate from the "multiple characters you buy individually or together in a pass" format.
I said "pack" not "pass". The each fighter in this pass comes packed with a stage, music, and spirits. I'm not sure if that will happen again. But I'm sure another cheaper pass will happen.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I know Jill Valentine isn't very likely anymore, but I made this anyway..though I opted to do this one a little different by showing costumes instead of spirits..and I felt like giving Jill 4 main costumes akin to Hero..and to comply with CERO, RE3 Jill would have bike shorts on under her skirt.
SmashTemplateJill.png
(Click to Enlarge Image)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speak for yourself, even if I don't particularly care about certain newcomer inclusions, the stages and music they bring is always a huge treat to enjoy.
Especially since this game already came with only a measly four brand new stages to begin with due to the focus of bringing back past stages...

Last edited:

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Just wanna pop in here and say that the Resident Evil spirits feel like the biggest slap to the face I've felt in a while.

Leon was one of my most wanted newcomers in a while, but even the most adamant defenders of "Spirits don't deconfirm fighters" can look at that event and say that RE's chances of getting a playable rep are utterly dead. Personally, I would've rather had nothing; while the Spirit battles themselves are funny and all, a franchise as big as Resident Evil randomly getting Spirits out of nowhere despite the fact that the series is probably one of the most well-known franchises in gaming history and pretty much deserves more representation in Smash is absolutely wack.

Or it's maybe because I'm still pretty salty at Nintendo and/or Sakurai for denying me a character I've wanted.

While on the topic, I wanna get your guys' thoughts on hearing people complain about wanting more characters they personally want despite already having characters they like in the roster already. With Joker and to an extent Terry being picks I love but admit to never taking seriously at all, I wonder if me whining about not getting characters I want in as DLC utterly ridiculous because of who's already in the roster for me.

D

Deleted member

Just wanna pop in here and say that the Resident Evil spirits feel like the biggest slap to the face I've felt in a while.
The entirety of Smash Speculation this week in a nutshell:

While on the topic, I wanna get your guys' thoughts on hearing people complain about wanting more characters they personally want despite already having characters they like in the roster already. With Joker and to an extent Terry being picks I love but admit to never taking seriously at all, I wonder if me whining about not getting characters I want in as DLC utterly ridiculous because of who's already in the roster for me.
I personally admit that if we do get a female fighter, I will still advocate for my most wanted (Morrigan), as well as other female fighters, though it won't be on the same scale as what I am doing right now. I may have my SNK boi Terry but the female demand isn't right to me. Well, that's just teh Smash community for you. Unpleasable as always. Even I admit that I'm an unpleasable fan.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think I have figured out who Fighter #5 is. Take a look at this picture.

SmallerNeo Tokyo 2019.png

This is from TimeSplitters 2. Cortez travels through many time periods and he happens to stumble upon Neotokyo, 2019. What year is it now?

2019!

What else happened in 2019? This Tweet from the creator of TimeSplitters, Steve Ellis.

The Fighters pass got it's first character in 2019, the significance? Joker uses guns! Cortez uses guns! Banjo & Kazooie! Rare! Free Radical was formed from employees retired from Rare!

Super Smash Bros Melee is made in Japan, the same country this level takes place in. Super Smash Bros Melee was released in 2002 in the UK. Free Radical was founded in the UK and TimeSplitters 2 was released at the end of 2002.

So there is only one explanation for this.

Cortez is coming to Smash Ultimate as Fighter #5 at the end of the year!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 248695

This is from TimeSplitters 2. Cortez travels through many time periods and he happens to stumble upon Neotokyo, 2019. What year is it now?

2019!

What else happened in 2019? This Tweet from the creator of TimeSplitters, Steve Ellis.

Super Smash Bros Melee is made in Japan, the same country this level takes place in. Super Smash Bros Melee was released in 2002 in the UK. Free Radical was founded in the UK and TimeSplitters 2 was released at the end of 2002.

Nice try, nice try.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
1538403940211.jpg

But seriously, I think Noctis would be a cool idea for Smash.

Leon was one of my most wanted newcomers in a while, but even the most adamant defenders of "Spirits don't deconfirm fighters" can look at that event and say that RE's chances of getting a playable rep are utterly dead. Personally, I would've rather had nothing; while the Spirit battles themselves are funny and all, a franchise as big as Resident Evil randomly getting Spirits out of nowhere despite the fact that the series is probably one of the most well-known franchises in gaming history and pretty much deserves more representation in Smash is absolutely wack.

Or it's maybe because I'm still pretty salty at Nintendo and/or Sakurai for denying me a character I've wanted.

For me, I got that dose of reality when Shadow got Assist Trophy'd. I still want him and Dante, but I'd be cool if neither of them made it. Of course, I'd prefer at least one of them to make it. However, as long as you're rational about it, then I don't think it counts as whining.

View attachment 248695

2019!

I thought that was Destroy All Humans for a sec.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
they way I could see things going down past the fighter's pass is, that if a character being added doesn't already have a stage, music, or spirits to represent their franchise, then they will get that content.

if a character being added comes from a franchise that, say, already has spirits and music, then maybe the character will just bring a new stage with them and maybe a new song or two. if a character comes from a franchise already repped in every way then maybe it will just be the new character and that's it. (this is of course going with the hypothetical situation we get promotions or get playable representation with a character/franchise already represented in Smash.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

they way I could see things going down past the fighter's pass is, that if a character being added doesn't already have a stage, music, or spirits to represent their franchise, then they will get that content.

if a character being added comes from a franchise that, say, already has spirits and music, then maybe the character will just bring a new stage with them and maybe a new song or two. if a character comes from a franchise already repped in every way then maybe it will just be the new character and that's it. (this is of course going with the hypothetical situation we get promotions or get playable representation with a character/franchise already represented in Smash.)
Though it would be harder for new content to be speculated on, since we wouldn't get enough release information.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Now that would be one heck of a TGA reveal.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Nintendo will never do something that would kill off speculation entirely like announcing all DLC characters at once. They want people to discuss their stuff as long as possible, because it means people are paying attention to their stuff as long as possible, because there is no such thing as bad publicity. Smash thrives off the attention bumps it gets whenever a new character is revealed.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo will never do something that would kill off speculation entirely like announcing all DLC characters at once. They want people to discuss their stuff as long as possible, because it means people are paying attention to their stuff as long as possible, because there is no such thing as bad publicity. Smash thrives off the attention bumps it gets whenever a new character is revealed.
Unlike most fighting games, which feed you a good chunk of their DLC content.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
People balked at waiting a mere four months for Joker. Waiting god-knows-how-long for so many characters would be torturous.

Addendum: They already told us back in the November Direct the amount of content the Fighters Pass would bring. The general issue with season passes is the amount of stuff you get, which Smash has already been upfront about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom