• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My hopes were crushed the other day with Resident Evil spirits, and even more when other companies got disconfirmed.

That Resident Evil disconfirmation frustrates me, mainly because I feel like that’s...one of the biggest series of all time and it was licensed for...pngs. Interesting that they’d spend money to license it for that, and not a character...hm.

That said, I’m either going to get a character I like and more or less have doubted (Lloyd) or have to buy a new game to experience the newest character (Dark Souls, Ace Attorney, etc). It’s what I’ve done for every series in Smash.

All I will say is, if neither Resident Evil or Devil May Cry get a playable pick, it’s a huge missed opportunity, and it’ll likely be my only gripe with the roster as a whole.

But it’s a day to be thankful, at least in the US. Even if you’re not from the US, I hope you all have a wonderful day. Appreciate the people around you, love each other, all that stuff.

osby

Smash Obsessed
My hopes were crushed the other day with Resident Evil spirits, and even more when other companies got disconfirmed.

That Resident Evil disconfirmation frustrates me, mainly because I feel like that’s...one of the biggest series of all time and it was licensed for...pngs. Interesting that they’d spend money to license it for that, and not a character...hm.
It's quite likely that licensing an art file is easier/cheaper than getting the rights to make a character fully playable in your game.

Now that RE is disconfirmed, I fully expect the last fighter to be like Terry and Joker: someone from a smaller, yet influential series that go unnoticed.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Try Resonance of Fates, it's great!

no give us isaac

the white, male, anime, sword-wielding, niche, rpg, first-party, boomer pick

WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM
Don't change a winning team, yeah!

We should investigate if this guy has any credibility when it comes to leaking in general or in Smash specifically before making any judgement. Seeing as we’ve been tricked with fake Discord screenshots already, I’m suspecting this is bunk.
I'm French and I beg y'all not to believe this journalist lol
He always rambles on rumors brought from his "sources" yet they're always either known by other leakers first or just straight up wrong
Is Julien Chieze a trustworthy source and usual leaker? I have no idea, I don't follow him. But he is indubitably one the most known face of french video game journalism.

Frenchs generally speaking, however, seems to have a pretty good history of doing fake leaks. It may be one more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What if this whole time the 5th fighter was a base game spirit all along?:p

somthing silly I thought about

D

Deleted member

That would be so hype for me at least.
Since geno and rayman are out. The only one i can think of left is Shantae.

get this, seven sirens dosent have a release and is likley for 2020 so what I think is what thell do is a fake sss release date trailer at the tga and it was a smash trailer this whole time. And then after that they show the release.
Just somthing fun to think about.:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Nquoid

Smash Ace

That said, I’m either going to get a character I like and more or less have doubted (Lloyd) or have to buy a new game to experience the newest character (Dark Souls, Ace Attorney, etc). It’s what I’ve done for every series in Smash.

All I will say is, if neither Resident Evil or Devil May Cry get a playable pick, it’s a huge missed opportunity, and it’ll likely be my only gripe with the roster as a whole.

But it’s a day to be thankful, at least in the US. Even if you’re not from the US, I hope you all have a wonderful day. Appreciate the people around you, love each other, all that stuff.
You have to imagine that if Resident Evil was discussed to the point we are ending up with Spirits, it can have only fallen through for 2 reasons, Capcom didn't want to give a Resident Evil character, or Sakurai couldn't think of a moveset that would be fun (or at the very least, there was another Capcom character he thought could have a more fun moveset)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's quite likely that licensing an art file is easier/cheaper than getting the rights to make a character fully playable in your game.

Now that RE is disconfirmed, I fully expect the last fighter to be like Terry and Joker: someone from a smaller, yet influential series that go unnoticed.
To be honest, I’m not quite sure with TGAs coming up.

The primary audience is western gamers that have different tastes than Nintendo fans themselves. Sure, Joker isn’t what I’ll call a “western star”, but he was newer at the time, and from a game that performed better than I would think was expected. For good reason too, Persona 5 is fantastic.

With essentially every western developer out except Bethesda, a “western” pick seems out. However, I think we could get somebody recognizable to the other gaming community who could either also be seen as a “western” when it really isn’t , or somebody that flat out nobody expected but makes a ton of sense.

That’s mainly why I see Dark Souls as a “dark horse” candidate.

Get the feeling we’re going to find out who it is pretty soon though. Like, before the game awards.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

But why make them a spirit in the base game if they were planned to be playable in the fighter pass?

I'm a huge supporter of Shantae for Smash and would lose my **** if she ever got in, but I feel like she only has a real shot if spirits can be upgraded for post-pass.

D

Deleted member

But why make them a spirit in the base game if they were planned to be playable in the fighter pass?

I'm a huge supporter of Shantae for Smash and would lose my **** if she ever got in, but I feel like she only has a real shot if spirits can be upgraded for post-pass.
Ask me.

do you know how many times I’ve heard that?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

H Y P E R U P G R A D E B O Y Z!

Maybe someday. If Hayabusa is fair game, I see no reason why Andy can't be seriously considered. He isn't that much more niche and is conceptually just as unique/fun even if he is a literally who in the grand scheme.

Plus, Nintendo Wars also dates back to the NES-era so you would think it would be a franchise Sakurai would go after since he's in love with that era lol.
Try Resonance of Fates, it's great!

Don't change a winning team, yeah!

Is Julien Chieze a trustworthy source and usual leaker? I have no idea, I don't follow him. But he is indubitably one the most known face of french video game journalism.

Frenchs generally speaking, however, seems to have a pretty good history of doing fake leaks. It may be one more.
These are interesting developments. I still feel Fighter 5 is going to boil down to Layton or a Dark Souls character but honestly, I could see Wright being post-pass. Now that Dante's chances have took a hit and RE is now RIP.

Though I still think Lloyd has a good chance post-pass even with a DS character. I think Bamco should be able to get 2 characters given they've only had Pac-Man before and helped with Smash 4/Ultimate.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You have to imagine that if Resident Evil was discussed to the point we are ending up with Spirits, it can have only fallen through for 2 reasons, Capcom didn't want to give a Resident Evil character, or Sakurai couldn't think of a moveset that would be fun (or at the very least, there was another Capcom character he thought could have a more fun moveset)
Eh, I doubt the moveset part. Leon could have had a more acrobatic moveset, and then adding the risk/reward system of Robin but with RE materials (ammo, herbs, etc) would have brought that “survival horror” feel to Smash.

That said, my personal suspicion is rating. Nothing to back it up, but the series has blood, gore, and guns. I recall Sakurai mentioning firearms changing the rating, and this was in the same discussion of the female body and Mai Shiranui. Not in the Direct, but in an outside interview about how CERO doesn’t play games with things “not for good boys and girls”.

Plus I’ve been told RE has an Adult equivalent rating in Japan, so if that’s any different from like Bayonetta or Metal Gear, that could also be why.

I hope he comments on the spirits and kinda hints at why. That’s give me some closure. If it’s a rating thing, then there’s simply no way around it imo, and that’s way more reasonable. Doesn’t mean I’ll be happy about it, but I’ll settle on the spirits.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm inclined to go with the moveset explanation. I love RE, but since any RE character couldn't use any proper guns, they'd be forced to just use the various explosive weapons from the series, and we already have "realistic human with an explosives-based moveset". That's not to say that we couldn't have two, of course, but all the DLC characters so far have been much more unique.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I’ve been hearing that for almost a year.

I just want a break from it
Hate to break it to ya, but with how this Fighter Pass is going, I think you're gonna have to wait until AFTER the 5th fighter on the pass goes through before hope for spirited characters reignites.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm inclined to go with the moveset explanation. I love RE, but since any RE character couldn't use any proper guns, they'd be forced to just use the various explosive weapons from the series, and we already have "realistic human with an explosives-based moveset". That's not to say that we couldn't have two, of course, but all the DLC characters so far have been much more unique.
Joker should've killed any argument against guns.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Ah, so this is how it feels to have "leakers" talk about your most wanted character. It feels like I'm just waiting for death.

osby

Smash Obsessed
We already had a "cartoon mammal and bird team with a projectile-based moveset" before Banjo, so not sure if I agree.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Also FTR, I gave up hope some time ago about any base-game spirit being promoted to playable. I mean, at least for the Fighter's Pass.

Post-pass is a different story. At least I hope so given that base game spirits only apply to the Fighter's Pass since it was decided in 2018 before launch.

All the Spirits added in from like mid-2019 onwards are screwed tho IMO for the 2nd wave of DLC. For the same reason why base game spirits weren't in the Fighter's Pass.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ve been hearing that for almost a year.

I just want a break from it
I think the issue is that the whole topic is a hypothetical.

Sure, there are great and popular characters that are Spirits. I agree there. But the idea that they’ll be upgraded is simply a hypothetical. There isn’t information to suggest it’s not possible, but when people want to talk about characters, it helps to have evidence or “a case” for it.

If the main point is, “They’re popular”, that same point applies to several 3rd parties.

I’m sure it’s annoying though. Maybe shifting the conversation to, “If they did spirit upgrades, who do they upgrade and why?” Just a thought.

(If I had a pick, it’d be Rex or Geno probably.)

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean, yes.
But they're not real gun, and not a single bullets are actually shot visually, it's a model/Airsoft reproduction, they're actually doing Physical damage, not reflect and aren't counted as projectiles...
The same way Bayonetta's guns are okay because "Lmao Magic"
I know it's very weird, but it's the kind of dumb **** that CERO/PEGI/ERSB take into account.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Because they weren't. DLC was planned after the release of the game. I don't think we'll see any spirit promotions, but I don't think the situation you describe is really a thing.
I thought the fighter pass lineup was decided on shortly after the base game roster was finalized?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Joker and Bayonetta have guns (which don't in any way act like real guns) as one move. A Resi character should really have been centered entirely around guns, although, of course, they'd have to use the Grenade Launcher and the Rocker Launcher instead.

We already had a "cartoon mammal and bird team with a projectile-based moveset" before Banjo, so not sure if I agree.
Fair point.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Because they weren't. DLC was planned after the release of the game. I don't think we'll see any spirit promotions, but I don't think the situation you describe is really a thing.
I mean, it makes sense... It was literally announced prior to release, and Hero was leaked prior to release of base game.

It was absolutely planned ahead of time if that’s anything to go off of.

EDIT: Here’s an article confirming this, citing Sakurai’s tweet about “Nintendo choosing the characters”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...h-bros-ultimate-dlc-fighters-lineup-confirmed

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, yes.
But they're not real gun, and not a single bullets are actually shot visually, it's a model/Airsoft reproduction, they're actually doing Physical damage, not reflect and aren't counted as projectiles...
I know it's very weird, but it's the kind of dumb **** that CERO/PEGI/ERSB take into account.
So you're telling me I can have guns that look like real guns, act like real guns and sound like real guns, but get on my knees and beg and they're magically not guns anymore to pass the age rating? I get that they're usually rated by more conservative people but sheesh

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I mean, yes.
I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the guns are airsoft or magic (the distinction isn't even made in Smash)- I think ratings boards care more about how gun violence is depicted. Guns in Smash are basically peashooters, and none of the depictions of violence in Smash, guns or otherwise are realistic, or even graphic.

Like, there's a reason Elmer Fudd is allowed to shoot Daffy Duck in the face with a shotgun.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the guns are airsoft or magic (the distinction isn't even made in Smash)- I think ratings boards care more about how gun violence is depicted. Guns in Smash are basically peashooters, and none of the depictions of violence in Smash, guns or otherwise are realistic, or even graphic.

Like, there's a reason Elmer Fudd is allowed to shoot Daffy Duck in the face with a shotgun.
So basically as long as the Magnum or a shotgun doesn't OHKO or put into crumple it's good?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, yes.
It's absolutely not modeled after an airsoft gun considering it has a muzzle flash when firing...something that airsoft guns don't really have unless you add attachments that are clearly not a part of Joker's design.

Joker's gun is a real gun. The fact that it's a replica in Persona 5 literally never comes up in Smash itself.

Guns are fine.

D

Deleted member

Aren't Chris and Leon still holding guns in their spirit artwork? You'd think if there was a problem with them they'd use different artwork

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
2B
Amaterasu
Chosen Undead
Dovahkiin
John Marston/Arthur Morgan
KOS-MOS
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton

Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom