• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Also speaking of Smash 6 and all if Isaac is an assist trophy again I seriously hope they learned their lesson and allow him to be revealed as one of the first assists cause keeping him for last wasn't very smart.

Hell I'd keep the characters nobody cares for as the last and put the characters that people do care about (that are turned into assists) as the firsts revealed as a whole. They usually do that for the actual characters themselves so why not? of course no offense to Incineroar fans or whoever else it's just they usually front-load their reveals.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also speaking of Smash 6 and all if Isaac is an assist trophy again I seriously hope they learned their lesson and allow him to be revealed as one of the first assists cause keeping him for last wasn't very smart.

Hell I'd keep the characters nobody cares for as the last and put the characters that people do care about (that are turned into assists) as the firsts revealed as a whole. They usually do that for the actual characters themselves so why not? of course no offense to Incineroar fans or whoever else it's just they usually front-load their reveals.
At the same time you see how people react to Shovel Knight, Alucard, Zero, Black Knight, etc and realize that a lot of people actually like ATs even if those characters being playable may be cooler

D

Deleted member

At the same time you see how people react to Shovel Knight, Alucard, Zero, Black Knight, etc and realize that a lot of people actually like ATs even if those characters being playable may be cooler
that doesn't really affect my point though as revealing ATs like those first don't really hurt the people who may like ATs since it's the same situation just earlier and for the people who don't like ATs they don't have to go the entire base game speculation cycle filled with hope only to get an AT.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
that doesn't really affect my point though as revealing ATs like those first don't really hurt the people who may like ATs since it's the same situation just earlier and for the people who don't like ATs they don't have to go the entire base game speculation cycle filled with hope only to get an AT.
At the same time if you hate ATs then it doesn't matter when a character becomes one, only difference between this speculation period and the timeline we knew Isaac was out since E3 is that the Grinch **** would have had someone else instead

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I love how leak culture has gone from "You guys, Ridley is in" to basically any ****ing video game character ever. I think it not only shows how much people already have what they wanted the most, making them more more open to other suggestions, and it also shows how much more people talk about different games. All I know about Half Life is that people want a sequel and that the headcrab people speak backwards yet you see a lot of people who have something interesting to say about all sorts of games. I'd say it's a change for the better
I don't like this generalization... I haven't been happy with Smash since Brawl, and while I've adapted to a lot of the characters, that has nothing to do with how joyous I am they're in.

D

Deleted member

Considering how crazy it gets yes.

In all seriousness you somehow made a ****post about the first 20 minutes of the game by sheer coincidence
Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy who blew himself up at the start of the game. Years ago, my old online group got together to watch and voice over 999 for YouTube so I know the opening sections pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't like this generalization... I haven't been happy with Smash since Brawl, and while I've adapted to a lot of the characters, that has nothing to do with how joyous I am they're in.
Sounds to me that you'd only be happy with specific characters. That's a you problem I'm afraid, what would you do if we got say, 4 of your specific wants and then 10 characters who weren't from that group? Cause if nearly 50 extra characters doesn't include anything that makes you happy, idk what to say

D

Deleted member

On the other hand, I dislike how the lesser known/less relevant Nintendo characters now have lost their chance to shine in favor of third parties. There is still plenty of cool Nintendo characters who can be unique and fun, yet they can't be in because a secondary obscure character from a minor Nintendo franchise is not as influent as the protagonist of a big third party franchise.

As a Nintendo fan for the most part, I miss the old days.
Realistically speaking, when was the last time this happened? Only cases I can really think of this is Marth and Roy during Melee, Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, ROB, Shulk and maybe Captain Falcon. From which Captain Falcon, Ness and Lucas were added when their series still had frequent releases or you know relevant, FE was a highly regarded series in Japan which exploded later during Awakening and Xenoblade was recent, was a sleeper hit and is ongoing. Only actual cases I can think were ROB which was a well known peripheral and the IC seem to have been added due to the moveset but still was a NES game that sold relatively decent.

These kind of additions have never been the norm and at this point we have more games with third parties than without, if you referr to adding obscure games or secondary and tertiary characters those have really never been the focus outside semiclones during brawl or echoes currently.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I want one last third party, who's very unlikely compared to the ladder and to hopefully be done with reading speculation. It would be nice to go back to wanting genuine first party representation while at ease over stressing for a childhood outer company rep.

Its bad enough to be potentially stuck out crying for more awesome Nintendo characters to come.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I want one last third party, who's very unlikely compared to the ladder and to hopefully be done with reading speculation. It would be nice to go back to wanting genuine first party representation while at ease over stressing for a childhood outer company rep.

Its bad enough to be potentially stuck out crying for more awesome Nintendo characters to come.
If they want to focus on generally expanding the game crossover, I imagine just a few first parties when all's said and done wouldn't be too unfeasible, seeing how Geno is a clamoured character already from an existing franchise and already represented in the base game. I just hope they're the true cream of the crop and not Fire Emblem/Pokemon character #27.
Realistically speaking, when was the last time this happened? Only cases I can really think of this is Marth and Roy during Melee, Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, ROB, Shulk and maybe Captain Falcon. From which Captain Falcon, Ness and Lucas were added when their series still had frequent releases or you know relevant, FE was a highly regarded series in Japan which exploded later during Awakening and Xenoblade was recent, was a sleeper hit and is ongoing. Only actual cases I can think were ROB which was a well known peripheral and the IC seem to have been added due to the moveset but still was a NES game that sold relatively decent.

These kind of additions have never been the norm and at this point we have more games with third parties than without, if you referr to adding obscure games or secondary and tertiary characters those have really never been the focus outside semiclones during brawl or echoes currently.
Plus Ice Climbers were the character picked out of a few retro NES character options and ROB, Duck Hunt and Mr. Game & Watch were surprise/Nintendo history picks, right?

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I love how we are all saying that its pretty much two more Fighters Passes even though all we've seen is the quote, "More DLC Fighters Now In Devleopment!"

Bring on Ouendan or Daigasso!

What?
It's Rhythm Heaven or d e a t h

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly? I want to see a Three Houses character and a Galar Pokemon. I could honestly care less about whether or not there's "too many Fire Emblem characters" or if they're not 3rd party additions that have "crossover appeal": I just want the character to be fun. Fire Emblem and Pokemon have plenty of options left that would make for fantastic characters, it'd be a shame not to explore them.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
we've reached the point in roster additions where gordon freeman appearing in smash is something that gives people actual pause and i think that alone is pretty impressive

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I love how we are all saying that its pretty much two more Fighters Passes even though all we've seen is the quote, "More DLC Fighters Now In Devleopment!"
I mean, people (myself included) also thought that Box Leak couldn't possibly be real, Sakurai is a big 'ol troll, and he's hiding 5+ newcomers before that final Smash Direct aired.

And then it aired and hoo boy was that a sobering experience.

Needless to say, I'm gonna wait and see what Nintendo has to say about DLC before jumping to conclusions about WoL datamines that could mean something, but could also mean nothing.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m still thinking Sora tbh but at this rate I have no idea for sure who it could be

cothero

Smash Lord
I know you guys must have talked A LOT about this on the last pages, but only such a exciting possible news would make me return to Smash Boards right now:

1.png

2.png

If this is true (this guy predicted correctly everything about (HL Alyx), i'm really going nuts. First Terry, now Gordon?? Please, let it be real. It'd make a HUGE sense to put Gordon in Smash, considerind how important Valve and HL are to the video game industry in general.

Plus, this (look at the date):

3.png

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that this is a fake leak trying to ride the hype of Half Life Alyx's announcement.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn’t necessarily be against more 1st parties, but for more than one “non-Corrinish” addition at this point in DLC would be quite the shift in vision of the game, at least I would think.

Out of all time Smash DLC, the only new 1st party choice was Corrin, and was specifically chosen as a character from a new game. All others, regardless of stature in the industry, were 3rd parties. When you consider that every pick has been the primary protagonist or “mascot” of the source game, I don’t personally think a side character necessarily works as a DLC addition. Base roster? Sure, but as a $5.99 pick I don’t think it’s as easy to sell that to a wider audience. After all, it’s not just Nintendo fans it can appeal to.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Rex or Edelgard. But I think we’ll see more of the same, and considering the sales of the Season 1 picks (we’re not even at Pick #5!), I think it’s reasonable to expect more 3rd parties, and overall more appealing to make the “biggest crossover” as big as they can make it.

That last part is obviously my opinion. I see both sides of it, but I do think 3rd party picks new and old such as Dante, Leon Kennedy, 2B, Lara Croft, Heihachi, Tracer, and others can all bring something real cool. I would encourage folks to learn more about them, or even try the games they come from!

(Not to devalue First parties. People are right when they say there are some good picks. I personally just think the 3rd party pool to pick from has more diversity, legacy, and “wow” factor to the industry as a whole.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know you guys must have talked A LOT about this on the last pages, but only such a exciting possible news would make me return to Smash Boards right now:

If this is true (this guy predicted correctly everything about (HL Alyx), i'm really going nuts. First Terry, now Gordon?? Please, let it be real. It'd make a HUGE sense to put Gordon in Smash, considerind how important Valve and HL are to the video game industry in general.

Something similar happened with Dante before

Frankly would take it with a grain of salt.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

View attachment 247830

View attachment 247831

View attachment 247832
I'm inclined believe him cause he has a Jerma pfp and gave us the :) of approval /s

In all seriousness if this guy did know something, it could be a similar case to the Dante leak from last year, one truth and one lie to mess with people.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, piggybacking leaks happens all the time. HLVR has been floating around for ages for instance and it's happened with Nintendo Direct "leaks" (like one that mentioned Goodfeel's new IP Monkey Barrels to try gain credence).

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Honestly? I want to see a Three Houses character and a Galar Pokemon. I could honestly care less about whether or not there's "too many Fire Emblem characters" or if they're not 3rd party additions that have "crossover appeal": I just want the character to be fun. Fire Emblem and Pokemon have plenty of options left that would make for fantastic characters, it'd be a shame not to explore them.
There will always be a chance for more Pokemon characters and they are almost always an evolutionary form of a starter type or popular anime shills like Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. Our options are limited. While I would appreciate a character that breaks that mold because Pokemon can do a lot of interesting ****, especially when they're in Pokken, let us ride on the high of 3rd party never-evers because this opportunity is not guaranteed to happen in the future at all unlike mf-ing Pokemon. There are hundreds of the goddamn things it is harder to get attached to one compared to characters from other games imo.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Gordon would be such a "whatever" addition to me.

Like, I get that he's definitely got the legacy and Half Life is an extremely beloved series, but what could he bring to the table as a fighter? That last point isn't me hating on him, btw; I'm legitimately curious as a man who's never touched Half Life before in his life.

Somebody please sell me on this guy.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So there was heavy talk of Sora yesterday that I missed. He's definitely a character I could see ending this Pass on a great note given how big of an reveal he'd be at the VGA.

If he is FP5 what would be your overall opinion on the Pass?
I think it would be just a bit better than okay. Hero, and Banjo we're just okay. Joker was one of my most wanted, and Terry is more fun than I thought.

Sora... Well the Kingdom Hearts series is very near and dear to me, and so is Sora's personality. So getting Sora would be quite the dream come true. I personally think he'll be the first fighter for FP2 just to hype things up, but if he's in this pass I'd be happy.

cothero

Smash Lord
Watch it be Gordon Freeman, color theory, rumored Nintendo collaboration, Sakurai is a Half-Life fan and all that. Some people would be angry with his inclusion (and i'd be extremely happy):

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1196395995388661760
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pM5CknLC1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KJsG91Bno
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/ (This one is important)
https://i.imgur.com/CstmN1a.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1tYzeuMIyE
https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18...ces-half-life-alyx-its-first-flagship-vr-game
https://www.pcmag.com/news/372041/half-life-game-series-will-finally-return-with-vr-based-proj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwF2SxayCnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrzc5pERSsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUUgqkyvy50
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(series)#

Gordon Freeman's moveset draft:
https://i.imgur.com/7P0Tpfa.jpg

"I’m not one to follow these types of games particularly close but even I’ve been looking forward to Half-Life 2’s launch. This is the kind of game you upgrade your computer and graphics card for so you can really take in the visuals and environments. It’s that good.

I was especially impressed when I started playing Half-Life 2. My jaw hit the floor. I couldn’t look away from my monitor, it looked so good, and it’s great how they implemented the physics system. ‘Was this the next generation of gaming?’ I thought to myself. I couldn’t believe we were going to be getting this high a level of games in the future." - Originally published in Famitsu, Vol. 84.85, 24 December 2004

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

Like, I get that he's definitely got the legacy and Half Life is an extremely beloved series, but what could he bring to the table as a fighter? That last point isn't me hating on him, btw; I'm legitimately curious as a man who's never touched Half Life before in his life.

sonic the hedgehog with a gravity gun

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sure, here's one I prepared earlier
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-1144#post-23677227
The short version is he has a gun that can pick up objects (including energy, things too heavy for him to move with quickly, even if they're flying at him at high speed) and then walk around with them, throw them at people, or just punt them back without picking them up. Then he has a bunch of moves where he lets loose a projectile which can be used with his gravity gun.

It basically interacts with nearly every fighter in a neat way similar to Kirby and allows for fun play. Imagine two Gordons fighting each other, punting stuff back and forth in a deadly game of catch.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

His gravity gun is Half Life's main gimmick. He pick **** up and lob it at people.

He would also be the first FPS character in Smash Bros so guns for Smash.

I never played Half Life but that's my outsider view.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m gonna be perfectly honest I don’t see how Gordon Freeman makes sense for Smash like at all.

Some lines don’t connect and I don’t see where the line between Half-Life and Smash Bros comes together.

Like Half-Life is a really good and influential game yes but I don’t think every important game should be represented in Smash or otherwise we’d have COD and GTA.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

View attachment 247830

View attachment 247831

View attachment 247832
I doubt it because the Half Life Alyx stuff was already leaked before this guy said a damn thing.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Half Life VR has been leaked for a long time. So this leak is not really credible TBH. And even if he was legitimate, then where's Dante on the character select screen, that DMC5 leaker said he was in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom