• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking it'll be a Capcom character too. I think the top three choices for the Capcom rep for #5 is the Resident Evil rep, Dante, or Phoenix Wright. Right now, the Capcom frontrunner seems to be the Resident Evil rep due to being Capcom's biggest available and most well known IP atm. However, don't sleep on Phoenix, as while he seems to be an odd choice on paper, Sakurai would most definitely come up with a moveset for him.
Jill would be so hype if she got added. Man, that would be a great way to end the fighter pass. Dante would be cool too, and I could see how Sakurai would enjoying working on his moveset with how gimmicky and combo heavy the DMC games are.

D

Deleted member

Jill would be so hype if she got added. Man, that would be a great way to end the fighter pass. Dante would be cool too, and I could see how Sakurai would enjoying working on his moveset with how gimmicky and combo heavy the DMC games are.
Just watch him be as combo-broken as Smash 4 Bayonetta.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I wonder if the new character that’s being announced ,if mentioned at the VGA, has some sort of ties to an upcoming award or or previous award like Joker did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder if the new character that’s being announced ,if mentioned at the VGA, has some sort of ties to an upcoming award or or previous award like Joker did.
Hmm...looks up older Game Awards winners...

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
If Dante is added in, I would love to see what Sakurai does with his moveset. Dante definitely has more than enough tools to fill an entire moveset. I'm not sure if he'll be as bad as Smash 4 Bayonetta though (if he's in).

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I wish Pokemon spin offs were still a thing, I saw a Pokemon ranger custom character in Rivals of aether and that looks really fun, I think it would be great to have a Pokemon ranger in smash but good luck with that lol
I'd take ANY Pokemon spin-off content in Smash.

Personally I've always been more attached to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games than the mainline games, it would be nice to get something from them, such as a single song or giving Pikachu a costume with a bandanna.

D

Deleted member

If Dante is added in, I would love to see what Sakurai does with his moveset. Dante definitely has more than enough tools to fill an entire moveset. I'm not sure if he'll be as bad as Smash 4 Bayonetta though (if he's in).
It is up to the devs to design his moveset. As Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen once said, if the character is broken, it's not rhe character's fault; it's the developers'.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'd take ANY Pokemon spin-off content in Smash.

Personally I've always been more attached to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games than the mainline games, it would be nice to get something from them, such as a single song or giving Pikachu a costume with a bandanna.
Pokemon mystery dungeon is easily the best series of isekai stories I've ever experienced. I wish our boy Grovile was picked as a character, he would be great. Also if he were included I wish they would bring his actor from the mystery dungeon anime special.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I doubt it's happening for multiple reasons, but an XIV Smash crossover at the game awards could be so much fun.

Start with a new XIV cinematic and then blend it in with a Smash cinematic. There's the original World of Light + End of an Era mashup fans threw together you could play off of.

Or Hell, with this expansion, the Scions have all gotten a fair bit of experience when it comes to fixing a World of Light, so a Warrior of Darkness bringing the shadow would fit perfectly as well. >_>

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
What are some new gen Pokémon you would pick?

I would personally still love a lot of prior gen Pokémon in the game. Lycanroc could be interesting or maybe Lunala. I'm a little tired of starters being the Pokémon of choice to add.
It's never going to happen... but I just want to shoot rainbows and headbutt the other smash characters with rainbow Galarian Ponyta / Rapidash xD

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I'm afraid to post my usual greeting today, largely due to the mess I made yesterday. But hear me out: my stance still stands firm. Female FP5 or riot.

Also good luck to Smash for getting Game of the Year.
Im actually really curious if there's a female fighter you're rooting for the most, or a couple.

Thinking about who we do have in Smash, is there an archetype or something you feel is missing? For example, ZS/Samus is a bad***, peach is a pink girly girl, daisy is the slightly more tomboy version of that, Palutena is a goddess, Bayo steps into the sex appeal. Theres several avatars that sort of count
What archetype do you think you're looking for?

Me, buffs aside, I dislike the new Zelda because her redesign took out the mature, elegant archetype I gravitated towards previously (and it's literally what Shantae would most likely be, and I rather have the half genie than a lie to disscirbe the least useful incarnation of Zelda). A-hem.

Like, a high candidate is Jill Valentine, a more serious character, are you cool with her? Or sporty Tracer? Less likely, but Amaterasu is female, even if she's a wolf (goddess). Are you more concerned with a female character as a whole, or prefer a feminine character? Like Reimu, Arle, etc?

While I actually rather like Mipha and have no particular issues with Urbosa, any of the champions would feel kind of dull as a new fighter to be honest.
For a first-party female though, I'm down. Alexandra Roivas is still my top choice on that front, but Lip, Krystal, Ayumi, Captain Syrup, Ashley Robbins, etc. would all be pretty cool too. Not in the first-class cars of my hype-train, granted, but business-class at least. >_>

For female Zelda reps specifically, I say hit up the Oracle games. There's always Midna, Lana, and Linkle too, but the Oracle games have a special place in my heart and are woefully under-represented in general. Din, Nayru, Farore, or Veran are the obvious choices, but as per usual, I say go more out-there and give us Maple. >_>
Hyrule Warriors is non canon so Lana and Linkle will never happen, which sucks cuz that's the best version of Impa.

Oracle games really do need more attention. If love a Crystal/Platinum Oracle game to feature focus on Farore, maybe after or alongside a remakes of the first two.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Spyro, Crash and Lara aren't Playstation or Sony characters.
I thought a character's game being on a console would be kinda "under Sony" even if they're owned by another company. I know they're not created by Sony, but it'd be kinda long winded to explain this every time I mention them.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I thought a character's game being on a console would be kinda "under Sony" even if they're owned by another company. I know they're not created by Sony, but it'd be kinda long winded to explain this every time I mention them.
Spyro and Crash trilogies are on Switch though.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I don’t know if this topic has died down yet and if it has please ignore this
Lesley Look, I have to be brutally honest right now, saying that your going to attack this thread if 5 isn’t female is not only toxic, but suffocating and selfish.
This is like if I threw a hissy fit every time Sackboy didn’t get in, it just doesn’t work. Many of us have things we want to see but can get, but you just can’t bring the rest of us down with you, now our first reactions if 5 is Lloyd is something is “Uh oh” because your forcing your beliefs and opinions on us and making people feel guilty for having wish lists that don’t include females, you just can’t do that
Again, if this argument passed already then ignore this

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Spyro and Crash trilogies are on Switch though.
I am aware.

Banjo also originated on Nintendo but now his game is on Xbox.

Point is, those characters started on Sony. Anyway I think people are getting too caught up in the specifics when my post was meant to be general in nature =/

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I am aware.

Point is, those characters started on Sony. Anyway I think people are getting too caught up in the specifics when my post was meant to be general in nature =/
Ok but people **** heavy with the Bandicoot more than anyone did with the bear that is sooner a twink than a bear as seen with the fact Crash actually came back and did well

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I am aware.

Cloud.

D

Deleted member

Im actually really curious if there's a female fighter you're rooting for the most, or a couple.

Thinking about who we do have in Smash, is there an archetype or something you feel is missing? For example, ZS/Samus is a bad***, peach is a pink girly girl, daisy is the slightly more tomboy version of that, Palutena is a goddess, Bayo steps into the sex appeal. Theres several avatars that sort of count
What archetype do you think you're looking for?

Me, buffs aside, I dislike the new Zelda because her redesign took out the mature, elegant archetype I gravitated towards previously (and it's literally what Shantae would most likely be, and I rather have the half genie than a lie to disscirbe the least useful incarnation of Zelda). A-hem.

Like, a high candidate is Jill Valentine, a more serious character, are you cool with her? Or sporty Tracer? Less likely, but Amaterasu is female, even if she's a wolf (goddess). Are you more concerned with a female character as a whole, or prefer a feminine character? Like Reimu, Arle, etc?
Any female character is fine in my book. Any. Just one female fighter, it doesn't have to be the one I want but as long as they are female, please.

D

Deleted member

Im actually really curious if there's a female fighter you're rooting for the most, or a couple
Let's see here. Characters I want who happen to be female

• KOSMOS
  • Hat Kid
  • Edea (for ma boy Panda)
  • Resident Evil could potentially bring Jill
  • Reimu would be cool
  • Rex would bring Pyra and Mythra, and those are more hype than Rex anyways
  • Erdrick would have had a female alt in an ideal world
  • 2B would be neat
  • Byleth would have a female alt.
  • Edelgard would be cool.
That's about it, really. I guess Kat would be cool just so I understand Gravity Rush.

D

Deleted member

Lesley Look, I have to be brutally honest right now, saying that your going to attack this thread if 5 isn’t female is not only toxic, but suffocating and selfish.
This is like if I threw a hissy fit every time Sackboy didn’t get in, it just doesn’t work. Many of us have things we want to see but can get, but you just can’t bring the rest of us down with you, now our first reactions if 5 is Lloyd is something is “Uh oh” because your forcing your beliefs and opinions on us and making people feel guilty for having wish lists that don’t include females, you just can’t do that
I know people are fed up with me over this, but I can't. It's not just for the good of me who wanted it, it's also for the good of the people sick of me as well. If Fighter 5 is female then congrats, I can ****ing shut up. If it's not, then you're all gonna have to endure the next year of me sulking about it. And I don't want that, which is why I'm desperate right now.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I know people are fed up with me over this, but I can't. It's not just for the good of me who wanted it, it's also for the good of the people sick of me as well. If Fighter 5 is female then congrats, I can ****ing shut up. If it's not, then you're all gonna have to endure the next year of me sulking about it. And I don't want that, which is why I'm desperate right now.
Maybe we can come to an agreement... how about if FP5 is male, then you get suspended for a couple days, however long it will take for you to calm down, and then you can get unsuspended when time is up and everything can go back to normal

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Her super damages her? lol
Her super is one of the strongest in the game. Though what you saw wasn't it, but a regular grab attack follow-up that was inescapable because of a launch/guard crush. They gave her a basic move that hits so hard it deals self-inflicted damage. She deliberately chose style points instead of victory, which was a punk ass thing to do and suboptimal af, but also very true to the character and the person that uses her.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Look, everybody will understand if you're sad. We're more concerned about how you're going to express it. If all you contribute is "**** Smash because no women" for a majority of your posts, the most you'll accomplish is a ban or a warning like John Dylan Smith and his "anime sword fighter" complaints. Especially in a thread not designed around ranting but speculating. You are not changing anyone's mind with this behavior.

Really, we'd be fine with you if you just actually stayed on topic and not try to shut people down for speculating someone who isn't a woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Maybe we can come to an agreement... how about if FP5 is male, then you get suspended for a couple days, however long it will take for you to calm down, and then you can get unsuspended when time is up and everything can go back to normal
Well, gotta tell the moderators that. If FP5 is indeed male, prepare your block buttons for a couple days because this woman's is gonna bust. But other than that, I am perfectly fine with it.

Look, everybody will understand if you're sad. We're more concerned about how you're going to express it. If all you contribute is "**** Smash because no women" for a majority of your posts, the most you'll accomplish is a ban or a warning like John Dylan Smith and his "anime sword fighter" complaints. Especially in a thread not designed around ranting but speculating. You are not changing anyone's mind with this behavior.

Really, we'd be fine with you if you just actually stayed on topic and not try to shut people down for speculating someone who isn't a woman.
I've already told Plank08 Plank08 about it and I'm fine. Y'all can block me for the next couple of days up until I've settled down. Should FP5 be male, then I'm more than worthy of this temporary suspension.

D

Deleted member

Well, gotta tell the moderators that. If FP5 is indeed male, prepare your block buttons for a couple days because this woman's is gonna bust. But other than that, I am perfectly fine with it.

I've already told Plank08 Plank08 about it and I'm fine. Y'all can block me for the next couple of days up until I've settled down. Should FP5 be male, then I'm more than worthy of this temporary suspension.
I'll just block you now then because you've been more problematic than enjoyable to talk to and you show no intent to read the room.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
What’s your stance on companies reappearing for different characters after the pass? As in, do you think it’s possible for us to get another Sega/Square/Microsoft rep after the pass? I personally believe that we’ll only be getting one rep per company only based on what we’ve seen so far, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What’s your stance on companies reappearing for different characters after the pass? As in, do you think it’s possible for us to get another Sega/Square/Microsoft rep after the pass? I personally believe that we’ll only be getting one rep per company only based on what we’ve seen so far, but I’d love to be proven wrong.
If limits on companies mattered we wouldn't have had Ryu and Mega Man in Smash 4

D

Deleted member

Don't see why not. :ultmegaman: :ultryu: happened in Smash 4.

E: Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen how could you ninja me like this?

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
If limits on companies mattered we wouldn't have had Ryu and Mega Man in Smash 4
Don't see why not. :ultmegaman: :ultryu: happened in Smash 4.

E: Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen how could you ninja me like this?
Yeah, but Mega Man was announced from day one in base game while Ryu was DLC nearly a year and a half later. It would just feel a bit weird to me to get two Capcom characters in the same selection of DLC so close to one another this time around, you know?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think Sega, Square and Microsoft in particular have a good chance of reappearing - the latter two have quite a few big hitters left.

So really, I think next season is free game for everyone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright here's some random thoughts on the GOTY nominees:

-I'm surprised to see Control being nominated for GOTY over the likes of DMC 5, 3 Houses, and KH3 even for all its faults. I haven't actually gone around to seeing anything from this game like reviews and gameplay stuff, so this game's like a complete wildcard nomination to me. I outta get around to learning more about this game in the following days to come.
-It's no surprise Death Stranding would be on here knowing Geoff's complete worshipping of Kojima in the past couple of years. It'd probably come full circle for the 2 if Death Stranding won GOTY ever since Kojima got blackballed by Konami from appearing at the VGAs in 2015 only for him to get an award a year later.
-Resident Evil 2 Remake managed to get nominated despite being a remake, and I think that's pretty neat since a lot of people really enjoyed it to the point that I can't stop thinking of Mr X while watching Thomas the Tank Engine with X Gon Give It To Ya playing in the background.
-Sekiro shares similarities to RE:2R for people enjoying the game, except it's probably a lot more frustrating since this is a FromSoft game. I figured Sekiro was going to be nominated for GOTY or at the very least nominated for best Action Game (which apparently isn't because it's nominated for Best Action ADVENTURE Game instead).
-Smash Ultimate nominated for GOTY this year despite releasing the day after last year's VGAs is also a real surprise. I figured they would put it on the Ongoing Game Category since development is still going on for a game that released last year, but I guess that category's only going for multiplayer only(?) games specifically.
-The Outer Worlds was announced at last year's VGAs, and this year it's nominated for GOTY. While I haven't gone around to seeing much of Outer Worlds, it does look like Obsidian make a game Bethesda wished they could ever make right.

Overall, this category is stacked with the only outlier being Control, but that's probably more with me not knowing Jack **** about it than the rest of the games. It's basically 2015 all over again (which had a lineup of Bloodborne, Phantom Pain, Fallout 4, Mario Maker, and Witcher 3), so I'm very interested in finding out which game wins GOTY this year.

...and speaking of 2015, The Witcher 3 did win GOTY that year. With Smash Ultimate getting multiple nominations for this year, it certainly makes me think...

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but Mega Man was announced from day one in base game while Ryu was DLC nearly a year and a half later. It would just feel a bit weird to me to get two Capcom characters in the same selection of DLC so close to one another this time around, you know?
Gwen wont ninja me with this.

Technically, it's not the same DLC. DLC is separated into two chunks with Ultimate. There is the Fighters Pass with all five DLC characters finalized in November. And then there is Post-Pass, which could have had Nintendo double dipping with another company, especially given the success of the Fighters Pass.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It just means Nintendo wanted 2 Capcom characters. As I'm sure most Smash fans tell you, not every franchise is equal in terms of fighters for better or worse, why should it suddenly be an issue for companies when your gut feeling is all that's backing you up

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Lesley, if you take it from no one else, please take it from me.
I TOTALLY sympathize with you for wanting a female DLC character.
I had a similar rage during Brawl's run. Know what it was over? Not tripping. Not slow gameplay. Not an extremely unbalanced roster. It was over cut characters.
To this day, I loathe the mere idea of cut characters. Once a Smash Bro., always a Smash Bro. So I jumped for joy when Ultimate's initial trailer confirmed all veterans returning. That meant that speculation NEVER had to be about who comes back, but what newcomers are coming to the series.
But in 2008, I RAGED that they dared cut Dr. Mario, Roy, and Mewtwo. I even drew bad MS Paint comics to express how disappointed I was at Sakurai.
But I was 13. You're 18. I know you suffer from depression, and I understand that your favorite video games are important. Hell, I went into a depression after it was leaked that Pokémon Sword and Shield would cut 400 ****ING POKÉMON, even my favorites Dragonite, Mewtwo, and Blaziken. But one must take a modicum of self control to understand that these things are ultimately unimportant. There is always the future for huge franchises like Pokémon and Smash Bros.
You are as free as any of us to speculate, hope, and dream. But if you take all your anger out on us, people will inevitably start to dislike you.
You are my friend, and I don't abandon my friends. But I am legitimately worried that you'll bring others against you or even get yourself banned.
I don't want that to happen to you.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't know. Most games nowadays are multi platform. Crash, Spyro and Tomb Raider are more associated with Playstation because the PSOne era.

The best way to describe it would be: they could be considered Playstation characters, but they're not Sony characters. That definition could apply also to other characters like Travis Touchdown or Bayonetta with Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom