• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
For the sake of Argument, let's say that Sony does lend a character to Smash (if only to make sure Microsoft doesn't get one over on it) who would it be?

Here in the west we tend to think of Kratos as Sony's Mascot but in the Japan the mascot is Toro Inue, a cartoon cat.

Of their other characters, that have appeal to both sides of the pond I'd say he best picks would be either Ratchet and Clank or Kat and Dusty from Gravity Rush.
Sir Daniel Fortesque or Tomba! I want Tomba back!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
My wanted 3rd Party rep is the Octane car from Rocket League.
It may be a joke, but it would be hilarious if something like that happens for real.
I once made a moveset for Dust Mite from Re-Volt,

I think that with some creativity you can make a car into a fighter as long as the source material allows that (but please no excite bots ok Sakurai? That game doesn't exist)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
For the sake of Argument, let's say that Sony does lend a character to Smash (if only to make sure Microsoft doesn't get one over on it) who would it be?

Here in the west we tend to think of Kratos as Sony's Mascot but in the Japan the mascot is Toro Inue, a cartoon cat.

Of their other characters, that have appeal to both sides of the pond I'd say he best picks would be either Ratchet and Clank or Kat and Dusty from Gravity Rush.
The only way I can see Nintendo and Sony working together on a character is if it's a character that would break headlines among all gaming outlets, and Kratos seems like the strongest candidate for that.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It may be a joke, but it would be hilarious if something like that happens for real.
I once made a moveset for Dust Mite from Re-Volt,

I think that with some creativity you can make a car into a fighter as long as the source material allows that (but please no excite bots ok Sakurai? That game doesn't exist)
If you guys want a car in the game so bad, at least support the right one.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman

Nathan Drake. He's hot.

I'm not all that familiar with Playstation characters, but a lot of the characters from PSASBR are pretty cool.

D

Deleted member

I too would agree on Kat and R&C.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Kat is the telekinetic girl right? I did like her. Back in Brawl days, my Smash Brother and I would play as themed teams. Kat and Mewtwo would be a perfect pair. Psionic felines (sort of)!

D

Deleted member

Kat is the telekinetic girl right? I did like her. Back in Brawl days, my Smash Brother and I would play as themed teams. Kat and Mewtwo would be a perfect pair. Psionic felines (sort of)!
Yeahp. The one who could also levitate and control gravity.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Say, there was something I was noticing while I started up the game for the first time since Terry came out.

EJMiaVJUEAA5B4D.jpg

But has Rex always been included in these in-game advertisement group shots? Because that's the first time I'm seeing this Mii costume being advertized along the actual Fighter Pass characters.

D

Deleted member

Say, there was something I was noticing while I started up the game for the first time since Terry came out.

View attachment 246454

But has Rex always been included in these in-game advertisement group shots? Because that's the first time I'm seeing this Mii costume being advertized along the actual Fighter Pass characters.
Because the Mii Costume IS advertised with the other characters.

D

Deleted member

. . .That's not what I'm asking. I know that the costume is part of the Pass, but it's the first time I'm seeing advertized like this.
Hmm...what is your stand in this? I don't jump to conclusions, and I'd like to hear what you would believe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
...my take is that FP5 is a Xeno series character that isn’t Rex who's a costume?

Most likely: KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) if we’re going by the third party trend and also that Namco doesn’t have a second character yet
Not very likely: Elma (Xenoblade X was nominated for the Game Awards in 2016 so there’s that)
Pipe dream: Mecha-Fiora (I wish :c)

D

Deleted member

...my take is that FP5 is a Xeno series character that isn’t Rex who's a costume?

Most likely: KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) if we’re going by the third party trend and also that Namco doesn’t have a second character yet
Not very likely: Elma (Xenoblade X was nominated for the Game Awards in 2016 so there’s that)
Pipe dream: Mecha-Fiora (I wish :c)
FP5 could be anyone, and it doesn't have to correlate with the Mii Costume.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 246454

Well I do remember them always mentioning Rex as a free Mii costume you get when purchasing the pass, but I don't remember them ever putting a portrait of the costume next to the actual DLC fighters. I want to think it means something more (and you probably are hoping the opposite), but they also may just have put the image of him instead of having to mention him using text. I find it interesting either way.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I want to think it means something more (and you probably are hoping the opposite)
I mean, with that exact wording, not quite. I do hope that it means something more - namely that he ain't coming, and that another Xeno-series character is coming. :ultpacman:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I have no take, lol. I just found a bit odd and wanted to show it.
The Rex costume has been advertised with every character since and including Joker. The News section in Ultimate has an archive of all previous news bulletins to support this. I’m assuming that the Rex costume will remain exclusive to the pass until a few months after 5 comes out.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

View attachment 246454

It's always been there. Check the news column.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I mean, with that exact wording, not quite. I do hope that it means something more - namely that he ain't coming, and that another Xeno-series character is coming. :ultpacman:
Well judging from the latest posts it doesn't seem to be a hint, but I don't think they would hint at KOS-MOS or Elma using Rex regardless.

Don't get me wrong though, I would be hyped with more Xeno representation in general. And even if it is Rex and Mythra/Pyra, it would make some of us really happy and you still wouldn't need to touch them with a 10ft pole. Plus you'd get a chance at beating them up ingame, so a win-win?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well judging from the latest posts it doesn't seem to be a hint, but I don't think they would hint at KOS-MOS or Elma using Rex regardless.

Don't get me wrong though, I would be hyped with more Xeno representation in general. And even if it is Rex and Mythra/Pyra, it would make some of us really happy and you still wouldn't need to touch them with a 10ft pole. Plus you'd get a chance at beating them up ingame, so a win-win?
It’s unlikely Rex would be in the same pass as his Mii Costume though, if he’s even playable DLC at all (which again I doubt).

D

Deleted member

It’s unlikely Rex would be in the same pass as his Mii Costume though, if he’s even playable DLC at all (which again I doubt).
We're all under the stigma that costumes deconfirm characters. Though sometimes, I get dreams of him being a free post Pass character in my sleep.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I definitely don't think he's likely to be FP5, but I think he has a decent chance post-pass. Maybe as a bonus character Piranha Plant style, or somewhere later down the line. If we're getting 10 characters his chances improve even more, also considering Sakurai specifically mentioned time constraints as a reason for not being able to include him. I'm trying to not expect too much though, because it's far from a guarantee.

We're all under the stigma that costumes deconfirm characters. Though sometimes, I get dreams of him being a free post Pass character in my sleep.
Out of all the Mii costumes I think he's a rather special case, so the assumption of Mii costumes deconfirming might not specifically apply to him. Only thing we can do is wait and find out.

D

Deleted member

Out of all the Mii costumes I think he's a rather special case, so the assumption of Mii costumes deconfirming might not specifically apply to him. Only thing we can do is wait and find out.
But if that does happen...tons of Spirit promotion threads are having a hell of a field day.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
But if that does happen...tons of Spirit promotion threads are having a hell of a field day.
Haha, I can imagine. And even jumping to the conclusion his Mii costume would deconfirm him, I can still hope for Mythra and Pyra right? Though some would throw the spirit argument at me, sigh.

D

Deleted member

Haha, I can imagine. And even jumping to the conclusion his Mii costume would deconfirm him, I can still hope for Mythra and Pyra right? Though some would throw the spirit argument at me, sigh.
Most definitely. If both get in as Mii Costumes, I'll be happy but I'm gonna storm Sakurai's house and ask a bajillion questions.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This might sound ungrateful but I'd rather get nothing at all than Mii costumes, I don't really care about them.
If we're getting nothing, I'd rather have the mii costumes. Let's me pretend that Sakurai cares about Custom Robo versus just giving us spirits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Kat has not the legacy a few others have.

I don't know Kratos enough, I didn't play his games. Is he recognized in Japan? He doesn't seem to be the kind of characters Japan would like and yet, God of War seems to be a hit in Japan too.

On the Sly/Jak/Ratchet section, I believe Ratchet is the most likely. Jak & Daxter didn't have a new game for a long while. Sly seems to be in a similar state. Ratchet continues to exist, has a lot of games, had a movie, and has success worldwide, including in Japan.

However, between Kratos and Ratchet, that's difficult, but the later fits more in Smash style IMO.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the deconfirm only applies to third party costumes as I imagine they would need to renegotiate and most would aim for getting their characters playable and getting not only $7 over .75c but also that sweet, sweet amiibo money.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If we're getting nothing, I'd rather have the mii costumes. Let's me pretend that Sakurai cares about Custom Robo versus just giving us spirits.

let's be fair though, Ray's costume is top tier

had some of the most love and care put into it, maybe even more than some fighters

D

Deleted member

let's be fair though, Ray's costume is top tier

had some of the most love and care put into it, maybe even more than some fighters
It really does allow me to pretend Ray is in Smash despite having no music. It's got everything he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom