• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Looks like the CSS has enough spaces for 10 additional characters (or 2 additional passes) outside the current Fighter Pass. This of course, assumes that the developers decide to fill all the remaining spaces.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
As a follow-up, 10 more characters completes the Squad Strike CSS perfectly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh god I remember when people were arguing that Dragon Quest wouldn't make it in because of Dragon Ball FighterZ being banned from tourneys in Japan so therefore that must be a problem for all Toriyama characters. Even though that was Toei's fault, who had absolutely nothing to do with Dragon Quest. God looking back on it, the mental gymnastics people would go through to try and delegitimize Hero's chances were almost Olympic worthy.
I still remember how impossible Hero was due to Sugiyama not allowing the series music at all, or that with how obvious was the codename it was impossible it was DQ (the least we have to remember about the whole brave debacle, the better). Problem really is not Fatmonice but rather that the Geno thread takes his word as gospel.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Seriously, the shifting of goalposts when discussing characters is very fascinating.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Geno thread has a sort of cult of personality built around Fatman, it's really a problem and it honestly got so bad I left the thread for good. But I don't think blaming the thread helps, because there's some great people there and also because in my opinion Fatman is aware and has never done enough to clarify when he's speculating and to what extent.

I know that and I'll be honest I don't really go on Latin America forums that often. But even then I've done some research on the characters that Latin America/Europe/America/ and Japan want, and I've got to say that even in Latin America Terry isn't bought up THAT much (at least for Smash). For the most part, they want a good chunk of the exact same characters that America/Japan wants; with characters like Sora topping the list.

Tekken is probably even more popular in Latin America then FF/KoF. I saw characters like Heihachi being bought up much more in those sites compared to Terry.

And there were infinitely more requests for Goku, which makes sense considering it is Latin America.

So while Terry is definitely more popular in places like Latin America; he is by no means the most popular character there, even among the ones I would consider "likely".
I can vouch for this.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I dislike this being brought up because it's yet again Smash fans finding patterns in things. The Smash fanbase had a huge "WHO???????" reaction to Terry but somehow know that SNK is popular in Latin America? Yeah, sure. SNK's popularity in Mexico was mostly just a meme in the FGC and people have only brought it up now because of Hero and Banjo.

Of course SNK has it's popularity in Latin America but to say that's the sole reason it was added is very....short sighted. Sakurai's even admitted he grew up in arcades with SNK fighters and a lot of Smash's mechanics are clearly inspired by the games
Ok. It wasn't the SOLE reason. But let's be honest. It's probably the biggest.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Ok. It wasn't the SOLE reason. But let's be honest. It's probably the biggest.
I'd argue that we put way too much stock in the thought that Terry got in specifically because of Latin America.

It was probably more because Sakurai is just a huge fan of SNK, as can be seen in the Terry video; and less because Sakurai wanted to specifically make the Latin America fanbase happy.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I still remember how impossible Hero was due to Sugiyama not allowing the series music at all, or that with how obvious was the codename it was impossible it was DQ (the least we have to remember about the whole brave debacle, the better). Problem really is not Fatmonice but rather that the Geno thread takes his word as gospel.
Those are days best forgotten always getting into arguments because someone didn't like the composer so it's obvious DQ couldn't get in so Nintendo might not want to be associated with that

Ivander

Smash Legend
On the subject of Chosen Undead's moveset potential...

When it comes to moveset potential regarding Chosen Undead, aside from the token Sword and Shield, the Chosen Undead will heavily rely on Pyromancy, Sorcery and Miracles for their Specials, much like Hero with their spells. In Dark Souls, there was always a move from each set that kept going into the next stronger move alongside a whole set of spells that gave different effects. Heck, there is a Pyromancy spell that pretty much acts like Hero's Metal Form, except they can actually move.
That said, Sorcery brought out the nanomachines in Dark Souls 2 and 3 when it came to the one spell that would get a stronger version or a variation of the move. If you have Robin with 4 versions of Thunder, Chosen Undead's close-to-home Sorcery special would have frickin' 16 of them. Probably even higher.
For a recovery move, they will have to be original on which move they choose for the recovery move. In the list of Miracles, there is Homeward, but it's more like Zoom as it teleports you to the last Bonfire you visited. But there are a few spells, like Combustion, that can cause an explosion for a hypothetical upward momentum recovery.

If we go into spoiler territory, I would not be surprised if Sunlight Spear was one of their specials, not to mention it appears in all 3 games as a Miracle. Sunlight Spear basically has Chosen Undead throw a giant spear of lightning at their foe. If you count on "how they use it in Dark Souls 3", it can also cause shockwaves when it hits a surface or they can throw it straight to the ground to cause a shockwave.
So something that can be done with that is that when you use Sunlight Spear, you can "aim" it in the brief time it charges up and it will go into the direction the control stick aims at. Aim it downward to have them throw it at the ground for a shockwave and any surface it hits when thrown will cause a shockwave.
If they want to be a bit more creative with Chosen Undead's regular moveset, there are a couple Sorcery and Miracle spells that have the player attack with magic materialised weapons. Sorcery that has the player attack with a giant Soul Greatsword, a Miracle that has the player attack with a frickin' Scythe(called the Lifehunt Scythe) and as mentioned, Lightning and Sunlight Spears.

As for the Final Smash....well, there are plenty of Pyromancy, Miracles and Sorcery spells that they can use that practically rains havoc upon the battlefield, like Gravelord Sword Dance, Firestorm/Fire Tempest/Chaos Storm, Divine Pillars of Light. But another thing that they can also use for the Final Smash is activating the "Final Bonfire", one of the Endings of Dark Souls 1, much like how Banjo has the Jinjonator. Or they could also have the Player summon Phantoms for the Final Smash, summoning phantom characters from the games, like Solaire of Astora, for a team attack.

On paper, Chosen Undead would be very very similar in concept to Hero, even if they make some of the spells they use different from Hero's spells. But I actually think I know something that can hugely differentiate them from Hero and other characters. The Parry mechanic.
The Parry mechanic in Dark Souls is one of the most remembered features of Dark Souls due to how frickin' satisfying it is to successfully land them, especially against tough foes and bosses. But as we know, there is a Parry mechanic in Smash for all characters. When the Shield button is pressed at the right time when an opponent's attack connects, you will flash, take no damage and you can attack quickly out of it.

But how about this for Chosen Undead's Parry Mechanic implemented in Smash? When you quickly press the Shield button for a parry, the Chosen Undead will do a Parry Shield bash in the direction they are facing. If the Chosen Undead successfully parries an attack, the foe is suddenly stunned for a second or a second and a half. During that period, the player playing the Chosen Undead will get a Button Prompt to press the Special Button. The player just needs to press the Special button with no direction input, like a Final Smash.
If they succeed at pressing the input, the Chosen Undead will do a Parry attack where the Chosen Undead will thrust their sword into the foe, dealing alot of damage to the foe and sending them flying. During this period, both the Chosen Undead and foe will not be hit by any attacks, meaning that other opponents cannot disrupt this, referring to the invincibility frames the Chosen Undead gets when doing a successful Parry Attack. The only requirements for this to happen is that the Chosen Undead MUST be facing the character they are parrying, meaning "back parries" will not activate and it does not activate from projectiles.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Terry was the Latin American pick.
SmashBoards is pretty centered around the English speaking world, so we didn't notice him much.
That's not a real thing.

Latin America pick? Terry is just a character of sufficient proliferation that Sakurai also found interesting.

These geographical divisions are completely fan-created. If anything, the only real regions of influence are 1. Japan and 2. "overseas".

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
As a follow-up, 10 more characters completes the Squad Strike CSS perfectly.

Wasn't there some leak a long while back about there being 16 character slots in world of light, one of them being filled by Piranha Plant? Well with the 5 dlc characters we have now, and the CSS being able to fit 11 more characters, it may be plausible we get 11 more characters as crazy as that sounds

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
That's not a real thing.

Latin America pick? Terry is just a character of sufficient proliferation that Sakurai also found interesting.

These geographical divisions are completely fan-created. If anything, the only real regions of influence are 1. Japan and 2. "overseas".
Which is why Sakurai said that Bayonetta was #1 in Europe.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which is why Sakurai said that Bayonetta was #1 in Europe.
No, Sakurai said Bayonetta was #1 in Europe because they were trying to justify why they pre-emptively added a character due to popularity who turned out to be less popular than they anticipated. The only popularity that affected that inclusion was speculative.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Wheres the fun in copying/pasting a fighting character in to Smash? I dont get it.
Cause they never fought Pikachu before.

a GTA character, fight me.
"Ahh ****. Here we go again..."

I was using boy like the "me and the boys" meme.
Crash 'n' the Boys?

So uh searching KOS-MOS on here today and ended up with a plethora of posts saying Fatmanonice says KOS-MOS and also Reimu are just being willed into existence by the internet. And here’s my question.... when if ever was Fatman ever right about anything?
The sentence preceding your question.

D

Deleted member

No, Sakurai said Bayonetta was #1 in Europe because they were trying to justify why they pre-emptively added a character due to popularity who turned out to be less popular than they anticipated.
The rumors of the ballot being rigged kinda added to that stigma to be honest.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The rumors of the ballot being rigged kinda added to that stigma to be honest.
Well, by the time that claim got substantiated, the ballot had already proved to be an influence for Ultimate, so people just kind of took it on the chin with a grumble. Had it come to light shortly after Bayo's reveal, there would've been riots. She was already divisive.

I mean many people (myself included) never really gave the "rigged conspiracy" much credence beforehand, especially because the goal was never to pick the most popular, just to pick character(s) due to the ballot. It wasn't an election so much as a suggestion box. But turns out they didn't even do that (for Smash 4, at least), so the conspiracy kids were (more or less) right on this one.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Fighter 5 might as well not bring music. The devs really went above and beyond with Terry's music, and I don't think any future DLC will ever bring as much music as him. I can think of some characters that could possibly come close, like maybe a Danganronpa character representing Spike Chunsoft in general and bringing music from some Mystery Dungeon games and Zero Escape, but even with those ideas, 50 tracks is just too much.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Will fighter 5 even have music? The devs really went above and beyond with Terry's music, and I don't think any future DLC will ever bring as much music as him. I can think of some characters that could possibly come close, like maybe a Danganronpa character representing Spike Chunsoft in general and bringing music from some Mystery Dungeon games and Zero Escape, but even with those ideas, 50 tracks is just too much.
Of course fighter 5 will have music. It was laid out that each fighter would come with a stage and a set of music tracks. There's no doubt that SNK has set the bar high in terms of music.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Will fighter 5 even have music? The devs really went above and beyond with Terry's music, and I don't think any future DLC will ever bring as much music as him. I can think of some characters that could possibly come close, like maybe a Danganronpa character representing Spike Chunsoft in general and bringing music from some Mystery Dungeon games and Zero Escape, but even with those ideas, 50 tracks is just too much.
...yeah, they'll have music. Will they have 50 tracks? No, probably not.

But Sakurai approaching SNK for Smash was the popular kid asking you to prom, so they just fell over themselves and basically said yes to (almost) everything.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I have... no idea what I was originally going to post. The serious replies about that guy named Fatman threw me off. I know I'm totally more mature than this but... ahahaha. That is never going to get old for me. I guess that's one of the perks of being out of the loop at times. "The Geno cult of personality surrounding Fatman" line was probably my favorite one with "When was Fatman ever right?" being a close second.

Anyways... I've been on the "10 more characters after the season 1 pass" train for months. It's nice to see it visualized though, and it'd be a dream come true if we somehow ended up getting more than that by the end of this game's run.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have... no idea what I was originally going to post. The serious replies about that guy named Fatman threw me off. I know I'm totally more mature than this but... ahahaha. That is never going to get old for me. I guess that's one of the perks of being out of the loop at times.

Anyways... I've been on the "10 more characters after the season 1 pass" train for months. It's nice to see it visualized though, and it'd be a dream come true if we somehow ended up getting more than that by the end of this game's run.
That's quite the marvel I'd see in the future.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Of course fighter 5 will have music.
...yeah, they'll have music.
Guess I'll phrase that post better because I didn't want to look like I'm genuinely concerned about the inclusion of music for fighter pack 5.
But Sakurai approaching SNK for Smash was the popular kid asking you to prom, so they just fell over themselves and basically said yes to (almost) everything.
Which is weird, because other than Hero, I don't see why it's not the same for the other DLC characters. Maybe Persona has some licensing issues I'm not aware of, but for what reason could Microsoft be holding back tracks like Gruntilda's theme or even tracks from other Rare games?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
A three Fighters Passes timeline is a timeline i'd want to be in

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Guess I'll phrase that post better because I didn't want to look like I'm genuinely concerned about the inclusion of music for fighter pack 5.

Which is weird, because other than Hero, I don't see why it's not the same for the other DLC characters. Maybe Persona has some licensing issues I'm not aware of, but for what reason could Microsoft be holding back tracks like Gruntilda's theme or even tracks from other Rare games?
I mean, even the third-party series that have a lot of music like Castlevania, SF and Mega Man don't have that many. Past SNK's willingness, their content is probably a lot cheaper to license. It's less "why aren't they all like that", and more "why is SNK so different" considering it's the outlier.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Who the hell is this Fatman I've seen talked about on the last couple of pages?
What's a kid like you reading the Brotham City Times for?! That sensational garbage. Anyway, you're a good kid, Rick Drayson, so a word of advice: that Fatman is bad news. He doesn't speak much, if he's even real at all, but his word is treated like gospel. There's a certain group that hang out over at old Geno's place downtown that formed a Fatman cult of some kind. Great, like we needed more vigilantes recklessly tearing up our city. It's all crazy I tell ya! Gone are the days of open and shut cases. When, if ever was Fatman right? Never, I say. Never. Don't listen to what the papers have to say, kid. This gal's been on the force almost as long as Commissioner Jordan himself.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I know its not particularly likely, since we just got Terry and Athena appears as a background cameo on the King of Fighters Arena stage, but I'd love to have Athena Asamiya appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, so I made this. Since we got so much The King of Fighters & SNK love with Terry, she doesn't really need a new stage or any new songs, so I just threw in the Image Song for 'Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life'...mostly because I like the song.
Of course it would just be a new song for the King of Fighters Arena stage, which she'd share with Terry..and I gave her Terry's Emblem since I could see them using it for SNK/King of Fighters characters and I couldn't find a better emblem (Athena also tends to use Star imagery in her design, usually on her headband). I did give her ancestor, Princess Athena, as a Spirit (whom she is also the reincarnation of) along with her various teammates in Psycho Soldier and the King of Fighters.
I also added Bike Shorts under her skirt for the Psycho Soldier costume so that there's no issue with CERO.
SmashTemplateAthena.png
(Click to Enlarge)
Athena Costumes.png

Costume 1: Psycho Soldier/KoFXII
Costume 2: King of Fighters XIII
Costume 3: Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life Colour Scheme
Costume 4: King of Fighter '97 Colour Scheme
Costume 5: King of Fighter '98 Costume
Costume 6: KoF '98 Colour 2
Costume 7: KoF '98 Colour 3
Costume 8: KoF '98 Colour 4

Had to add her to my Wishlist lol
G01rere.gif

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know its not particularly likely, since we just got Terry and Athena appears as a background cameo on the King of Fighters Arena stage, but I'd love to have Athena Asamiya appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, so I made this. Since we got so much The King of Fighters & SNK love with Terry, she doesn't really need a new stage or any new songs, so I just threw in the Image Song for 'Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life'...mostly because I like the song.
Of course it would just be a new song for the King of Fighters Arena stage, which she'd share with Terry..and I gave her Terry's Emblem since I could see them using it for SNK/King of Fighters characters and I couldn't find a better emblem (Athena also tends to use Star imagery in her design, usually on her headband). I did give her ancestor, Princess Athena, as a Spirit (whom she is also the reincarnation of) along with her various teammates in Psycho Soldier and the King of Fighters.
I also added Bike Shorts under her skirt for the Psycho Soldier costume so that there's no issue with CERO.
View attachment 246438
(Click to Enlarge)
View attachment 246439
Costume 1: Psycho Soldier/KoFXII
Costume 2: King of Fighters XIII
Costume 3: Athena: Awakening from the Ordinary Life Colour Scheme
Costume 4: King of Fighter '97 Colour Scheme
Costume 5: King of Fighter '98 Costume
Costume 6: KoF '98 Colour 2
Costume 7: KoF '98 Colour 3
Costume 8: KoF '98 Colour 4
We have enough people whine about PK Fire, do we really need an anime girl with PSYCHO BAAAAAAAAALL to do the same?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration

Momochi (famous Street Fighter player) discovered that Terry has charge partitioning. None of the Smashers discovered it before he did.

It's all over for you Smashers. FGC is coming to take over this mf.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Momochi (famous Street Fighter player) discovered that Terry has charge partitioning. None of the Smashers discovered it before he did.

I'm a Smash player; I've no idea what that means.

D

Deleted member

It's hard for casuals yet easy for experienced FGC nobles.

FYI it's a tech used by charge characters in SF, most notably guys like Urien.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Basically the game give you a window to stop your charge before it's over to then charge what's left of it back.
It's very much used a lot on charge Characters, but to give you a rough idea it allows you microspacing/movement/delay on charge moves that normally force you to stay still

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It's a technique used in 3rd Strike and other games. You know how Terry's got a stronger version of his rising tackle with invinciblity that he can do by crouching on the ground and charging it up?

"Charge partitioning" means he can charge it up a bit, move a little bit, and continue charging it some more. So he's not simply stuck in one position and can move around while charging the required "hold down" input.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
For once, my gut has been consistent for two days in a row.
Tracer. I'm calling it.
Orange. Female. Modern. Gunner.
And Blizzard HAS commented on Overwatch in Smash, like Microsoft did with Banjo.

D

Deleted member

For once, my gut has been consistent for two days in a row.
Tracer. I'm calling it.
Orange. Female. Modern. Gunner.
And Blizzard HAS commented on Overwatch in Smash, like Microsoft did with Banjo.
Need I remind you that Smash DLC was decided last year., I doubt Nintendo found time to negotiate with Blizzard. If they did however, this could be sketchy. Also there weren't any leaks popping up right now (other than a fake one that had a KOS-MOS reveal at the Game Awards), and none of them have Tracer on it. If they were, they were probably just piggybacking on the hype train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom