• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Since we still don't have anything to go off of aside from a couple of characters Vergeben said aren't going to be in FP5 and the blue dot from the YT channel, I want the next trailer to involve the Fire Emblem cast to cause some fear within the Smash community that another Fire Emblem character is coming, only for it to actually be a completely different character entirely. Whoever it may be will be up in the air, but I'm leaning towards any sort of weapon user being revealed in a trailer like that.

Of course, if it does so happen that it is a Fire Emblem character, most specifically 1 from Three Houses, that'd be alright with me even though it may be too obvious.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Since we're posting about how the Geno thread pretty much takes Fatman's words like gospel (most of the time). I'll post my thoughts on him from the Geno thread here. This was to someone who was defending the 4chan Dark Souls DLC prediction "leak":

1) I was literally telling Fatman why I think the Mii leak is fake, this was before Sabi and Fatman started saying that yeah it is most likely fake, or at least not for character 5. This was when he was on the side of it being real, so if it goes to show anything it is that these insiders are definitely not infallible and a lot of their information does come in last minute. When he did change sides, he pretty much used the reasoning that I and many others used. It is most likely fake because Nintendo hasn't taken down the videos.

I'm not denying the guy has connections with insiders, but often times he has showcased that he isn't right. For example, he thought Brave couldn't be Hero due to the wonky datamined stats. Or the whole thing with the bird. If Reimu and KOS-MOS are truly deconfirmed and 100% not happening, Sabi would have no reason to not come out and say that yes they are not happening. Fatmanonice's words are definitely not definitive, and even he himself tells us to take his words with a grain of salt.

Any good speculation should have some good inferences here and there, that is how we get a good idea of who is coming in as DLC. Using speculation and logic, I was able to tell that we were most likely getting Erdrick and Banjo as a double drop on E3, a couple days beforehand. When the SNK logo leaked, it wasn't hard to tell that Terry would be the SNK rep. I was inferring that DLC 5 would be Bandai Namco ever since September and even through the Mii leak, and while FP 5 is not confirmed to be Bandai Namco; look at what the general consensus is.

I'm no insider, but that doesn't change the fact that I was pretty much able to guess which DLC's were coming ahead, just due to the rumours floating around in the internet.

2) Only 2 of those 4 characters go by the title of Erdrick, so yes Hero is a much better name for the character than Erdrick. If this leaker does know all the DLC characters beforehand, he should at least get the name of the 2nd character right. He didn't, and he used the most common name flying around the internet, indicating that this was just a prediction/

3) Yes, I don't doubt that certain 4chan posts are right; many of the posts that are right just happen to be text leaks. However, blindly believing a simple prediction list is a huge problem as it cuts out speculation for the 5th DLC character, and as you can see a ton of the people in this thread are blindly believing this. I don't doubt that there is one obscure 4chan post out there that has had the entirety of the DLC leaked back in December, but we won't know if its true until the 5th character is revealed, and that 4chan post does nothing to convince me it's real.

4) Maybe Fatman does know that DLC 5 is a Dark Souls rep, and isn't speaking up about it for that reason. Or maybe he doesn't know about Dark Souls as DLC 5, and feels like he has nothing to add about it. All I'm saying is that assuming the leak, which is most likely fake, is true, isn't good speculation.

I don't dislike Fatman, in fact I like how open he is with his speculation. But it's just SPECULATION. Sometimes I feel like the Geno thread is honestly the problem, and I say that as someone who wants Geno in. They take his words way too seriously when he's shown to be unreliable at times. I know a ton of people in the Geno thread pretty much think a Dark Souls character is guaranteed because Fatman refuses to speak about Dark Souls.

Also when someone asked Fatman to deconfirm Reimu/KOS-MOS instead of just state that those are characters "/v/ is trying to will into existence", he pretty much ignored the question, take that as you will.

Though I do like the guy, his posts are usually pretty in depth and are actually debatable rather than "BLANK is 100% in".
This clears some stuff up for me! Sorry if I sounded rude or anything because I just saw him being thrown around as a source a lot.

Droodle

Smash Lord
If we do get a Namco character as the final Fighters Pass character, I actually feel like the Chosen Undead probably has the best shot. Dark Souls is one of the most influential games of this decade and it seems like something that would go over extremely well at the Game Awards thanks to SoulsBorne's universal appeal. Also not a huge factor, but they wouldn't have the same overlap issues that Heihachi or Lloyd would, considering how we don't really have anything like a Dark Souls character on the Fighters Pass right now.
The problem I personally have with Dark Souls is that if it IS the Chosen Undead, how would they even play? Dark Souls is known for the slow methodical gameplay, which really doesn't translate to Smash. Sakurai is a stickler for detail (especially for 3rd party characters) and he would pretty much try to make DS character as close to the actual game as possible.

So most likely you'd have a:
1. Sword character that also has a shield.
2. The character can also use magic. Can also heal himself using Estus Flask.
3. Probably has really simple moves, just due to the nature of DS not being combo heavy.
4. The character emphasizes dodging, and rewards playing it safe. (Probably hit and run, but I can't see the character being fast).

Hero already does 2 of these 4 things, and I can't see dodging being an interesting mechanic. Sakurai could definitely make the character work, but I don't think it could be done without some serious deviation from the actual DS series. Obviously they could add a DS boss as a playable character, but I doubt Sakurai would do that. Even if he does, it would probably still have a ridiculously limited moveset.

In my opinion it's the exact same problem with a Monster Hunter rep, but I'd say MH this pass is unlikely due to the fact that we already have Rathalos in game. And I say this as someone who's probably spent a couple thousand hours in both series.

Lloyd/Yuri would at least bring in a pretty easy mechanic in overlimit. And the faster pace of an ARPG like Tales carries over far better than an ARPG like Dark Souls/Monster Hunter.

KOS-MOS would be pretty cool just due to the amount of weaponry/range she has; but again, I'd say she's more unlikely than Tales.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The no moveset arguement is dumb. Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer are in the game. Sakurai can come up with a moveset for 99% of the video game characters that exist and Lara is not the 1 percent by any means
I agree with what you're saying, but Wii Fit Trainer is the worst example possible. Every single one of her moves comes from her games. That was an easy moveset for Sakurai to make.

I actually feel the opposite; I feel that character design tends to be a bit sharper overall in Japanese games.
Disregarding photo-realistic characters in Western games and anime/anime-like characters in Japanese games, I definitely agree. Splatoon is a modern classic in terms of character design.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The problem I personally have with Dark Souls is that if it IS the Chosen Undead, how would they even play? Dark Souls is known for the slow methodical gameplay, which really doesn't translate to Smash. Sakurai is a stickler for detail (especially for 3rd party characters) and he would pretty much try to make DS character as close to the actual game as possible.

So most likely you'd have a:
1. Sword character that also has a shield.
2. The character can also use magic. Can also heal himself using Estus Flask.
3. Probably has really simple moves, just due to the nature of DS not being combo heavy.
3. The character emphasizes dodging, and rewards playing it safe. (Probably hit and run, but I can't see the character being fast).

Hero already does 2 of these 3 things, and I can't see dodging being an interesting mechanic. Sakurai could definitely make the character work, but I don't think it could be done without some serious deviation from the actual DS series. Obviously they could add a DS boss as a playable character, but I doubt Sakurai would do that. Even if he does, it would probably still have a ridiculously limited moveset.

In my opinion it's the exact same problem with a Monster Hunter rep, but I'd say MH this pass is unlikely due to the fact that we already have Rathalos in game. And I say this as someone who's probably spent a couple thousand hours in both series.

Lloyd/Yuri would at least bring in a pretty easy mechanic in overlimit. And the faster pace of an ARPG like Tales carries over far better than an ARPG like Dark Souls/Monster Hunter.

KOS-MOS would be pretty cool just due to the amount of weaponry/range she has; but again, I'd say she's more unlikely than Tales.
This is exactly why I didn't think Chosen Undead would work in Smash, I just didn't know how to actually put it into words.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
TBH I don't want any 3rd party customizable avatars. I just think it doesn't work in a massive crossover game like Smash where people care more about the established characters. Hero is arguably the closest to one. But they're far more established characters(Erdrick and Solo definitely) than a player character in an MMO game.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
TBH I don't want any 3rd party customizable avatars. I just think it doesn't work in a massive crossover game like Smash where people care more about the established characters. Hero is arguably the closest to one. But they're far more established characters(Erdrick and Solo definitely) than a player character in an MMO game.
Same, which is why I'm not super into the idea of Monster Hunter or Byleth, especially the latter because Edelgard or Claude would be far better picks.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If we do get a Namco character as the final Fighters Pass character, I actually feel like the Chosen Undead probably has the best shot. Dark Souls is one of the most influential games of this decade and it seems like something that would go over extremely well at the Game Awards thanks to SoulsBorne's universal appeal. Also not a huge factor, but they wouldn't have the same overlap issues that Heihachi or Lloyd would, considering how we don't really have anything like a Dark Souls character on the Fighters Pass right now.
To be fair, the overlap issues with a Dark Souls character are about the same as Heihachi and Lloyd would be. They would all bring more unique qualities to the types of characters we already have in the game. I agree Souls has a real shot at a spot given its legacy, but I'm not so sure on it being the "best shot" with regards to Bandai-Namco.

D

Deleted member

Tales rep has a ton of backing to it. The entire copyright stuff, all that. Though the Xenosaga copyright...

Honestly what's there to expect..

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I'm also not a fan of CaCs, so if it had to be a Dark Souls rep, I'd prefer they buck the trend and use a named side-character.

That said, Bamco has a wide catalogue to choose from, so I'd prefer something else entirely...

D

Deleted member

So uh searching KOS-MOS on here today and ended up with a plethora of posts saying Fatmanonice says KOS-MOS and also Reimu are just being willed into existence by the internet. And here’s my question.... when if ever was Fatman ever right about anything? As far as I can tell he has literally no track record and just speculates made up ****e pretty much because he’s been claiming to be a insider for years now when in reality he is just a spokesperson who makes stuff up that allude to Geno in smash. I don’t care if I get under fire for saying this but the man literally knows nothing. People only follow him cause he’s a geno fan and who cares about any other character, right?
Problem with Fatman is that people take his word like its fact when he's just speculating. By all means, he's probably just speculating that Reimu and KOS-MOS only gained traction because of speculation itself instead of outright deconfirming them.

And for the record, yeah, I don't trust Fatman on his takes. Dude was pretty anti-Erdrick in both his chances and how he'd play, and ended up being wrong on both eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Can anyone tell me why Agumon is always left out when it comes to Namco rep? It's bigger than Tales. Earlier games were pretty phenomenon back in the days.

D

Deleted member

Can anyone tell me why Agumon is always left out when it comes to Namco rep? It's bigger than Tales. Earlier games were pretty phenomenon back in the days.
There's a ton...more associated with anime, hmm...that's all I thought of.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Hi, original person who posted that CSS here! I just wanted to clear up some stuff real quick.

I do want to mention that the CSS is no way a representation of how many fighters we'll get. It's just a current limitation for this specific version, meaning it may change in future updates.

And second, this has nothing to do with fighter IDs. The team can add as many of those as they like. This is mainly in regards to the cosmetic IDs the game can handle. So, while there's a user interface limitation there currently, Fighter IDs can be added just like they normally are (and heck, the CSS limitation as mentioned earlier can also get patched in the future.)

However, I do see the CSS limitation staying because there's some compelling evidence the devs knew about the limitation or put it in there deliberately.

The evidence comes from a datamine back earlier this year from World of Light's param files (can't remember the exact filename.) Anyway, the total number of placeholder entries was 16. This is important for one reason.

After you've found all fighters in WoL (with random), it basically turns into a carbon copy of the Smash mode CSS. Meaning it shares those same limitations as the non-stacked smash mode CSS.

So, if you do look at the Max CSS and count from Incineroar to Mii Brawler, you get 16. And if you add up the base CSS with 16, you get 91!

Again, don't think this mean the Max CSS is going to be the final one, as that might not be the case. The devs could just end on a different note and not even hit the limit.

But, at least this explains why they went with 16 placeholders initially (although, the new fighters don't even use them and have new entries, so it kind of shows some unreliability there.)

Calane

Smash Ace
Only the heroes from 9 and 10 could be considered avatars. All the other heroes cannot be customized, and would fall under the "silent protagonist" category, same as characters like Link or Ness.

D

Deleted member

We've already had our fill with Digimon discussion here. It depends on what Sakurai prioritizes when it comes to Namco. There are a ton of characters to choose from, and there are great reasons to choose all of them. I'd say Digimon has an alright chance when competing with other Namco series, but some might see it more for the anime than the actual gaming. *Shrug*

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
So uh searching KOS-MOS on here today and ended up with a plethora of posts saying Fatmanonice says KOS-MOS and also Reimu are just being willed into existence by the internet. And here’s my question.... when if ever was Fatman ever right about anything? As far as I can tell he has literally no track record and just speculates made up ****e pretty much because he’s been claiming to be a insider for years now when in reality he is just a spokesperson who makes stuff up that allude to Geno in smash. I don’t care if I get under fire for saying this but the man literally knows nothing. People only follow him cause he’s a geno fan and who cares about any other character, right?
Is he wrong though? Nobody was really putting either name on predictions list a year ago or even 2 months ago, although I did see KOS-MOS very sparingly. It's not necessarily an insult either. That's exactly how K Rool, Banjo, and Ridley all got in the game and why Geno still remains likely in a lot of people's eyes.

D

Deleted member

IIRC the only real avatars we have are Villager and Inklings. Robin and Corrin both have established personalities in their own games so I'm not sure whether to define them as avatars.

D

Deleted member

Hi, original person who posted that CSS here! I just wanted to clear up some stuff real quick.

I do want to mention that the CSS is no way a representation of how many fighters we'll get. It's just a current limitation for this specific version, meaning it may change in future updates.

And second, this has nothing to do with fighter IDs. The team can add as many of those as they like. This is mainly in regards to the cosmetic IDs the game can handle. So, while there's a user interface limitation there currently, Fighter IDs can be added just like they normally are (and heck, the CSS limitation as mentioned earlier can also get patched in the future.)

However, I do see the CSS limitation staying because there's some compelling evidence the devs knew about the limitation or put it in there deliberately.

The evidence comes from a datamine back earlier this year from World of Light's param files (can't remember the exact filename.) Anyway, the total number of placeholder entries was 16. This is important for one reason.

After you've found all fighters in WoL (with random), it basically turns into a carbon copy of the Smash mode CSS. Meaning it shares those same limitations as the non-stacked smash mode CSS.

So, if you do look at the Max CSS and count from Incineroar to Mii Brawler, you get 16. And if you add up the base CSS with 16, you get 91!

Again, don't think this mean the Max CSS is going to be the final one, as that might not be the case. The devs could just end on a different note and not even hit the limit.

But, at least this explains why they went with 16 placeholders initially (although, the new fighters don't even use them and have new entries, so it kind of shows some unreliability there.)
I was hoping for the 100 character slots...but eh, 91 doesn't seem quite bad.

For the record, the fighting game with the most characters is Tobal. It's around 300+.

We've already had our fill with Digimon discussion here. It depends on what Sakurai prioritizes when it comes to Namco. There are a ton of characters to choose from, and there are great reasons to choose all of them. I'd say Digimon has an alright chance when competing with other Namco series, but some might see it more for the anime than the actual gaming. *Shrug*
Digimon these days is more associated with its anime, thus more people would remember it as an anime due to the circumstances; none of its games were considered too much of a major impact, but if you count the entire "LCD games are video games" debacle a few days back.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
IIRC the only real avatars we have are Villager and Inklings. Robin and Corrin both have established personalities in their own games so I'm not sure whether to define them as avatars.
We have Miis.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
The update is going to add images to Hero's command list or some simple s*** like that.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My best guesses are

1. It was considered competition for Pokemon a while back so perhaps Gamefreak would object to it
2. Digimon isn't as popular as it once was
3. It's far better known for it's anime than it is for video games.

I do think it's chances are fairly underrated though, and getting a potential Digimon vs. Pokemon matchup would feel really huge for those of us who lived through that time. I'd be far more into a Digimon rep than other supposed Pokemon rivals like Yo Kai Watch

D

Deleted member

Yeah, when have they ever added crap like that?

Not like adding images for international tournament goers is going to be useful to a huge subset of people.
Way to Thwack my dreams away, Idon.

D

Deleted member

My best guesses are

1. It was considered competition for Pokemon a while back so perhaps Gamefreak would object to it
2. Digimon isn't as popular as it once was
3. It's far better known for it's anime than it is for video games.

I do think it's chances are fairly underrated though, and getting a potential Digimon vs. Pokemon matchup would feel really huge for those of us who lived through that time. I'd be far more into a Digimon rep than other supposed Pokemon rivals like Yo Kai Watch
Digimon vs Pokemon is way overdue imo.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I don't dislike Fatman, in fact I like how open he is with his speculation. But it's just SPECULATION. Sometimes I feel like the Geno thread is honestly the problem, and I say that as someone who wants Geno in. They take his words way too seriously when he's shown to be unreliable at times. I know a ton of people in the Geno thread pretty much think a Dark Souls character is guaranteed because Fatman refuses to speak about Dark Souls.
I honestly have to agree with the bold right there.

I don't have a problem with Fatman as a user or as a speculator, but then I remember those times at the Square thread were apparently it was assured that "Erdrick was pretty much impossible to negotiate" and "we could only have him if Nintendo accepted to not make any more tournaments because odd coincidence in EVO Japan" just because he speculated on the subject, and then I had to raise an eyebrow at those claims.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
What do you think about Steve? While the player character in Minecraft is customizable, Steve is a hugely recognizable icon. I'm not even asking whether or not you want him in Smash, just whether or not he fits what you're talking about.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Is he wrong though? Nobody was really putting either name on predictions list a year ago or even 2 months ago, although I did see KOS-MOS very sparingly. It's not necessarily an insult either. That's exactly how K Rool, Banjo, and Ridley all got in the game and why Geno still remains likely in a lot of people's eyes.
I know KOS-MOS was discussed a good bit back when people thought she was in the Grinch leak, and she's been brought up here and there; until September when her popularity really shot up. Something that really helped her popularity was the fact that she was front and center on Monolith-Soft's 20th anniversary poster.

Reimu on the other hand was consistently brought up on 4chan like every couple of days, some of them were jokes and some of them were serious. She was very much treated in the same way as Sans, and hey you could argue that /v/ managed to bring Sans to Smash. She isn't really talked about much here, or other big Smash communities that much.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I've seen much more KOS-MOS and Reimu talk then Terry before he was confirmed. So if Terry is the baseline of demand/popularity, KOS-MOS and Reimu both exceed that; and I pretty much hang out on all the Smash forums and 4chan so it really isn't just a bubble.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What do you think about Steve? While the player character in Minecraft is customizable, Steve is a hugely recognizable icon. I'm not even asking whether or not you want him in Smash, just whether or not he fits what you're talking about.
Steve is even the mascot alongside Alex and the Creeper and is used as such by some of Minecraft’s official accounts (namely a lot of their Instagram posts, but he’s right there on the main website and makes appearances in other Minecraft stuff and whatnot), has had crossovers with games before, and has his own merchandise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know KOS-MOS was discussed a good bit back when people thought she was in the Grinch leak, and she's been brought up here and there; until September when her popularity really shot up. Something that really helped her popularity was the fact that she was front and center on Monolith-Soft's 20th anniversary poster.

Reimu on the other hand was consistently brought up on 4chan like every couple of days, some of them were jokes and some of them were serious. She was very much treated in the same way as Sans, and hey you could argue that /v/ managed to bring Sans to Smash. She isn't really talked about much here, or other big Smash communities that much.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I've seen much more KOS-MOS and Reimu talk then Terry before he was confirmed. So if Terry is the baseline of demand/popularity, KOS-MOS and Reimu both exceed that; and I pretty much hang out on all the Smash forums and 4chan so it really isn't just a bubble.
Both females do have stuff going for them, I can give them that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that during a showcase, a figurine of KOS-MOS was in place along with other figurines. I'm not sure if this guarantees her but please try to look into it even more.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Terry was the Latin American pick.
SmashBoards is pretty centered around the English speaking world, so we didn't notice him much.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Digimon vs Pokemon is way overdue imo.
It does, although there's not really a good platform for it other than Smash. Not gonna lie, I'd almost rush into an Agumon vs. Pikachu fight the moment he got released.

I don't have a problem with Fatman as a user or as a speculator, but then I remember those times at the Square thread were apparently it was assured that "Erdrick was pretty much impossible to negotiate" and "we could only have him if Nintendo accepted to not make any more tournaments because odd coincidence in EVO Japan" just because he speculated on the subject, and then I had to raise an eyebrow at those claims.
Yeah, I think the Geno fanbase is starting to lose it a bit. Like I said before, I get it. They're the last major fanbase from the base roster speculation who doesn't know their character's fate one way or another and it's been an ongoing thing since Brawl speculation, maybe even Melee so getting a little stir crazy is understandable. I also would really like it if they confirmed or deconfirmed him soon though so we can move on to talking about different characters and hopefully take a little bit of the craziness down a few pegs for a bit.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Both females do have stuff going for them, I can give them that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that during a showcase, a figurine of KOS-MOS was in place along with other figurines. I'm not sure if this guarantees her but please try to look into it even more.
I don't really know what you're talking about so...

I've bought this up before, but the main Xenoblade 2 girls (Pyra/Mythra) got official high quality figures in December 2018 and March 2019 respectively. The only other Xenoblade 2 character to get a figure is actually KOS-MOS, and her's comes out almost 14 months later, in May 2020. I know that it's probably nothing, but I always found it strange that KOS-MOS's figure comes out so much later. Even other major female characters like Nia, Morag, and Poppi have 0 figures announced; which is even stranger considering that they all play a much bigger role in the story compared to a minor cameo like KOS-MOS.

At worst you can use this evidence to shut down the people who say that Bandai Namco don't care about KOS-MOS; at best it could indicate something more. Perhaps a Smash or Xenosaga HD announcements?

SmashBoards is pretty centered around the English speaking world, so we didn't notice him much.
I know that and I'll be honest I don't really go on Latin America forums that often. But even then I've done some research on the characters that Latin America/Europe/America/ and Japan want, and I've got to say that even in Latin America Terry isn't bought up THAT much (at least for Smash). For the most part, they want a good chunk of the exact same characters that America/Japan wants; with characters like Sora topping the list.

Tekken is probably even more popular in Latin America then FF/KoF. I saw characters like Heihachi being bought up much more in those sites compared to Terry.

And there were infinitely more requests for Goku, which makes sense considering it is Latin America.

So while Terry is definitely more popular in places like Latin America; he is by no means the most popular character there, even among the ones I would consider "likely".

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Oh god I remember when people were arguing that Dragon Quest wouldn't make it in because of Dragon Ball FighterZ being banned from tourneys in Japan so therefore that must be a problem for all Toriyama characters. Even though that was Toei's fault, who had absolutely nothing to do with Dragon Quest. God looking back on it, the mental gymnastics people would go through to try and delegitimize Hero's chances were almost Olympic worthy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We have Miis.
And Pokemon Trainer. Though this one is treated like an avatar, but doesn't have the benefit of a lot of unique costumes outside of the female one come Ultimate. It's like an avatar in practice, yet is poorly added without most avatar-like qualities. It's kind of a weird inclusion.

Though I'm on the side of "avatars are pretty cool in Smash" since they often come with tons of unique stuff to begin with. Miis, Pokemon Trainer, Robin, Villager, Corrin, all 5 are nice and variable in their own way. Though really, only Miis actually are heavily about customization in the first place, while the rest just "happen to be" customizable characters in their home games in the way they're used(to varying degrees. Pokemon Trainer's only presented as a generic trainer who you can rename, despite clearly being based upon an established character. Ironically, those who started as avatars like Link had more customizable features in Smash itself, since you can't literally change PT's moves in any Smash game. And even then, Link established himself as a more proper character before Smash 64 started). And after a while Link no longer could even have his name changed, removing the only loose avatar aspect he used to have.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I dislike this being brought up because it's yet again Smash fans finding patterns in things. The Smash fanbase had a huge "WHO???????" reaction to Terry but somehow know that SNK is popular in Latin America? Yeah, sure. SNK's popularity in Mexico was mostly just a meme in the FGC and people have only brought it up now because of Hero and Banjo.

Of course SNK has it's popularity in Latin America but to say that's the sole reason it was added is very....short sighted. Sakurai's even admitted he grew up in arcades with SNK fighters and a lot of Smash's mechanics are clearly inspired by the games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom