• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Smash just doesn't feel right with Ryu and Terry, but no Heihachi.
Yea. Tekken isn't based on stick inputs, but if this guy figured out how to translate Tekken into Smash, Sakurai and his team sure as hell can as well:

He's not even one of my most wanted. My OCD just DEMANDS him.
My OCD demands a female character. But yeah, if we're gonna make this full-on NamcoVCapcomVSNK, that's the way to go.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Don't bet on 100% Dark Souls. That statement you made is quite ironic. You're setting the bar too much.

See, honestly you set your hopes a little bit too high. What if Sackboy was leaked, yet it wasn't confirmed by the higher-ups (Sabi, Verge, etc)? Would you jump to conclusions? Honestly if Morrigan or KOS-MOS was leaked by Verge I wouldn't jump right to it in my case. You better start hyping in moderation. What if we didn't get Dark Souls?
Isn't this a bit of pot calling the kettle black? Your expectations are so high you threaten to boycott even if you get what you want because it wasn't in the order you want it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I really want Heihachi, but FP5 is definitely not his time, nor should it be. Hopefully post-pass DLC...
I agree. We're not getting Heihachi right after Terry.
But I think there's a reason his Mii Costume didn't return with the other Fighting Game Mii Costumes.
I give him a solid 85% chance of being playable by the end of Ultimate's lifetime.

D

Deleted member

See, honestly you set your hopes a little bit too high. What if Sackboy was leaked, yet it wasn't confirmed by the higher-ups (Sabi, Verge, etc)? Would you jump to conclusions? Honestly if Morrigan or KOS-MOS was leaked by Verge I wouldn't jump right to it in my case. You better start hyping in moderation. What if we didn't get Dark Souls?
You know people are allowed to be disappointed, right? It's not like he's being a jerk about it.

D

Deleted member

You know people are allowed to be disappointed, right? It's not like he's being a jerk about it.
Isn't this a bit of pot calling the kettle black? Your expectations are so high you threaten to boycott even if you get what you want because it wasn't in the order you want it.
My expectations aren't high for FP5, mind you. I'm literally prepardd for the worst possible outcome. If I ever said that, sorry but I take that back. Maybe I will buy the DLC if we get a female character sooner. You just think negatively of me.

I know people are allowed to be disappointed, but I'm just showing concern.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Even if none of my big wishes (Reimu, Heihachi, others) don't get in, it's hard to be disappointed when I glance at the roster we already have.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Booooooo no more fighting characters as DLC.

Its so boring!

Character additions in Smash are so extraordinary because its fun to see characters from other genres of gaming adapted into a fighting format.

Wheres the fun in copying/pasting a fighting character in to Smash? I dont get it.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Watch as 6.1.0 releases and the fifth fighter's stage gets accidentally leaked.

D

Deleted member

Its so boring!

Character additions in Smash are so extraordinary because its fun to see characters from other genres of gaming adapted into a fighting format.

Wheres the fun in copying/pasting a fighting character in to Smash? I dont get it.
There's a ton of interesting fighting game engines that would really work well in Smash. Just put an anime fighter character like Sol or Ragna and watch as fighting game characters become the new anime swordies in terms of salt.

Wouldn't bet my money on it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Its so boring!

I enjoy seeing how mechanics from a fighting game character's home series are implemented in Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Smash just doesn't feel right with Ryu and Terry, but no Heihachi.
Yea. Tekken isn't based on stick inputs, but if this guy figured out how to translate Tekken into Smash, Sakurai and his team sure as hell can as well:

He's not even one of my most wanted. My OCD just DEMANDS him.
Watch we instead get Jin. ;P

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
There's a ton of interesting fighting game engines that would really work well in Smash. Just put an anime fighter character like Sol or Ragna and watch as fighting game characters become the new anime swordies in terms of salt.
If I go watch a vid of Sol or Ragna in their games, I can pretty much expect that they'll get a fresh 3d model and their moves will be identical to what they have in their games.

If I go watch a vid of KOS-MOS, i cant say the same thing.

Or if I go watch a vid of Tomb Raider

Or if I go watch a vid of Frogger lol

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I enjoy seeing how mechanics from a fighting game character's home series are implemented in Smash.
What mechanics tho? The punching mechanic? The kicking mechanic?

Terry is essentially Ryu/Ken with a super meter... sick.

The hat is dope tho

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That hasn't happened since... Joker? I think it's kinda unlikely now.

We get Mokujin as an echo of every fighter.
If we ever get a playable Sandbag, I hope Sakurai makes it like Mokujin. Can't explain why, but I love the little thing's design.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Its so boring!

Idk man Ryu Ken and Terry are fun to play whaddaya want me to tell ya.

If anything Heihachi would be the most different fighter of all by virtue of being originally from a 3D fighter.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
That hasn't happened since... Joker? I think it's kinda unlikely now.

If we ever get a playable Sandbag, I hope Sakurai makes it like Mokujin. Can't explain why, but I love the little thing's design.
Sandbag would be a really awesome WTF picks

D

Deleted member

I know people are allowed to be disappointed, but I'm just showing concern.
No one likes a hype checker. Besides, again, he's being harmless. Come back to him when he's being a jerk.

Its so boring!

Smash doesn't even follow the same format of traditional fighters though. As a result, the real question when adding someone like Terry or Heihachi is "How do I take this grounded fighter with different mechanics and put it into something as free and chaotic as Smash Bros?"

Last edited by a moderator:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
As far as echoes of the DLC characters go, Alice for Terry is about the only one that would be kind of interesting, honestly.
You could obviously echo Hero into "More Heroes" (insert Travis Touchdown joke) or "Heroine", but... really? Really?

For implausible, but still technically possible future DLC additions, I still say Lisa for Elenor (though it isn't a perfect fit) and Kirari (or pretty much any other idol) for Haruka. I would say Maria for Giana, but given what was seen in Twisted Dreams - Owltimate Edition, I'm not sure if that concept floats anymore.

For the truly crazy option, you could echo Princess Lana over Kevin Keene. She has used his tools before, and it would basically be a reinvention anyway, so 'eh'.

No you don't! Dixie is NOT an Echo!
Neither is Dark Samus, yet here we are...

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Ever since before Ryu was leaked for Smash 4, a lot of people seem to have this misguided idea that Smash is supposed to be this sort of enemy to traditional fighters. It's not. Smash is Smash, it's not meant to oppose any other genre.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Idk man Ryu Ken and Terry are fun to play whaddaya want me to tell ya.

If anything Heihachi would be the most different fighter of all by virtue of being originally from a 3D fighter.
youre totally right: to each their own.

like i said earlier; i just dont get it. I dont see how theyre exciting additions when you know exactly what youre getting.

Smash doesn't even follow the same format of traditional fighters though. As a result, the real question when adding someone like Terry or Heihachi is "How do I take this grounded fighter with different mechanics and put it into something as free and chaotic as Smash Bros?"
id much rather take someone like heihachi than another 2d fighter like ken, ryu, terry, etc. Like, when ppl beg for Chun Li I roll my eyes so hard they hit the back of my head

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Seconded.

Fighting game characters may have their moveset "mapped out" already, but you're still taking a character from one fighting game, and translating them over to another fighting game that plays completely differently. Putting Heihachi in Smash wouldn't be any less interesting or fun than putting Akuma and Geese Howard in Tekken 7 or putting the entire Tekken cast in a Street Fighter game.

A reminder that Terry's Aerial Up Tilt had to be made from scratch, since he doesn't have any attacks in Fatal Fury or The King of Fighter that could've fit that role, not to mention we had no idea how Power Wave (a move that is always used on the ground) would've worked in the air. Imagine all the stuff they'd have to make up for Heihachi's aerial moves...

At least with "anime swordfighters", you could argue that there is indeed a lot of them (even if most of them play uniquely, other than the Marth clones). With fighting game characters, you have a grand total of... three, maybe four if you count Punch-Out as a fighting game. If anything, I think we could use more of them.

in what? nothing as big as soulcalibur. Wait are you talking about the kof spin off?
He's talking about Fighting EX Layer, a smaller fighting game made by Arika, starring the Arika-owned characters from the Street Fighter EX games.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
tfw fighter 5's stage is listed as "courtroom" in the files
DLC stages are actually named after the internal name of their associated fighter. (DLC fighters (besides Piranha Plant) use codenames instead of the base game fighters that use their native name or variations thereof, but you all probably already knew that.) For example, Joker's stage is named jack_mementoes, and Terry's stage is named dolly_stadium (Yes, Terry's codename is Dolly. Your guess is as good as mine.) So if a stage name got leaked, so would the fighter's codename.

D

Deleted member

What mechanics tho? The punching mechanic? The kicking mechanic?

Terry is essentially Ryu/Ken with a super meter... sick.

The hat is dope tho
He has special cancelling, a backwards special-move, dodge-attacks, a desperation mechanic that functions differently from someone like Joker or Little Mac, and is also the first Smash Bros character to have a charge move like Guile (hold down and then push up). Now point me to a Smash Bros character who has all of these mechanics.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If anyone cares to know, I can check the 6.1.0 filesystem for anything if it drops while I'm awake and if nobody beats me to it (Which is likely given my slowish internet). I highly, highly doubt they'd repeat the earlier mistake, though.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
youre totally right: to each their own.

id much rather take someone like heihachi than another 2d fighter like ken, ryu, terry, etc. Like, when ppl beg for Chun Li I roll my eyes so hard they hit the back of my head
i doubt she would get in but chun would be a much different character than you think. she is extremely mobile even in street fighter. in smash the chains will come off. heihachi would be another grounded fighting game character

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I agree. We're not getting Heihachi right after Terry.
But I think there's a reason his Mii Costume didn't return with the other Fighting Game Mii Costumes.
I give him a solid 85% chance of being playable by the end of Ultimate's lifetime.
There's one of two main reasons, both of them come back to a Namco character making the cut.
There's a third anticlimatic one too but I don't think they'll dump all the Namco costumes at once with another fighter.

KillerCage

Smash Master
SourceGaming is like Gamexplain, they don't go off from known leaks, they just go with their guts or whatever at least seems to make sense. It seems like almost everybody is on the page of either a Capcom/or Bandai character showing up for Fighter 5, because both of their discussions has mentioned at least one or a couple of characters from each company.

Once again, Spazzy also brings up the point the Resident Evil is still the only major best selling third party to not make it into Smash or have any representation, and I honestly believe that Resident Evil is probably the most likely to be DLC if we're talking Capcom characters/franchises to be in.
They seemed to be more confident in a Capcom character (Resident Evil/Devil May Cry) than a Namco Bandai character.
Their concern seems to from the fact that the Fighters' Pass already has two RPG reps and a Fighting rep.
The two most frequently discussed Namco characters are Heihachi and Lloyd who are a Fighting series and RPG series respectively.
On the the bright side (in my opinion,) they actually preferred Jin (or Kazuya: I have to watch the video again) over Heihachi.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sharing this from the KOS-MOS thread, anyone familiar with copyrights wanna help decipher this?:
So, being bored today, I was looking at the Trademark info for Also Sprach Zarathustra again, and i noticed something in the statements section that struck me. Under good and services it lists a bunch of stuff involving games, and one of them mentions "Downloadable computer game software via a global computer network and wireless devices." I dont know too much about how trademarking works at all, but for somone who does, would this, along with the other stuff listed in good and services, just be generalizations, or be specific for the trademarks actual and intended use?

D

Deleted member

They seemed to be more confident in a Capcom character (Resident Evil/Devil May Cry) than a Namco Bandai character.
Their concern seems to from the fact that the Fighters' Pass already has two RPG reps and a Fighting rep.
The two most frequently discussed Namco characters are Heihachi and Lloyd who are a Fighting series and RPG series respectively.
On the the bright side (in my opinion,) they actually preferred Jin (or Kazuya: I have to watch the video again) over Heihachi.
Most definitely yes, but it would hurt if we get too much RPG/Fighting Games in one pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom