• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
LittleBigPlanet perhaps?... please...?
I can plug the Support thread maybe
Sony is a soulless corporation.
They will NEVER play ball with Nintendo the way they are now.
They didn't even allow crossplay until the market forced them to.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I don’t like talking about “Deserving” but i really think LBP deserves to be featured in smash in some way, out of all our smash bros characters, not a single one is a de facto PS3 rep, and Sackboy fits that spot and then some, I could go in forever about how much I love this character and franchise

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I humored the list and circled everything we have.

Red: They're a fighter
Yellow: They are incorporated into a fighter's moveset or design
Blue: They're an Assist Trophy

We've really come a long way.

View attachment 245881
You know, while you're at it, I feel that I should mention as a quick disclaimer for everyone here, some characters were added and/or removed throughout the years on this site, such as DeMille from Tomato Adventure, Katt Monroe from StarFox, and Takamaru. I guess you'd have to browse through the various years of this site's existence to find everyone.

That being said, @Bolderousness here's a version with a slightly different roster.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Honestly, the only pattern that think is even a thing is that a fighter's pass character will drop the same month as an amiibo wave

D

Deleted member

Being Nintendo's other competitor aside from Microsoft, that is quite the blow, though Sakurai acknowledged working with competitors through BK.

Plank08

Smash Lord
yeah... your right.. but it’s totally fun to dream about, and couldn’t Media Molecule choose if they want Sackboy in smash or not, or no?

D

Deleted member

yeah... your right.. but it’s totally fun to dream about, and couldn’t Media Molecule choose if they want Sackboy in smash or not, or no?
Though they would still have to get the stamp of approval from Papa Sony.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I do have some thoughts post leak semi-debunking.
Leak aside, I still think Doom Slayer is imminent for Smash Bros. Whether it's Fighter 5 or later remains to be seen.
The Mallow hat was also leaked a while ago, and I believe that leak whether it's the Mallow hat in the video or not, so I still believe Geno is imminent, though 99.99999% not Fighter 5 due to us already getting a Square Enix character this pass, plus Spirits likely deconfirmed the FIRST WAVE of Fighters.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I’m gonna give you guys a taste of how Sackboy would be in smash:

Sackboy Moveset(Again..):
NORMALS

Jab: Two quick slaps just like in All Stars

Side Tilt: A slap with more force put into it, more accurate to the slap form LBP

Up Tilt: Sackboy summons the popit in front of him very quickly and uses it as a weapon

Down tilt: a basic downwards slap.

Neutral air: Sackboy swings his whole body around but sticks his arm out, like in All Stars

Forward air: Sackboy uses his grabinator and does a strong punch from his side, doesn’t spike.

Back air: Sackboy shoots his graveling hook behind him, only a hitbox and does multiple hits of damage.

Up air: K Rool style upwards head but with his Jetpack.

Down Air: Banjo style downwards dive with his Jetpack.

Dash Attack: Sackboy flies forward with his Jetpack

SMASH ATTACKS

Forward Smash: Sackboys pal Toggle will teleport in front of him, you can change the type of toggle based on the directions you choose like Peach’s Forward smash.
Big toggle doesn’t move much but does good damage and can be used as a shield. Small toggle moves fast and far but of course is much weaker.

Up Smash: Swoop teleports on top of Sackboy and flaps his wings wildly.

Down Smash: Oddsock comes down and does a ground slam.

GRABS

Grab: Sackboys uses his grabinators to grab

Forward throw: Hurls his opponent forward, a more animated version of his throw in LBP

Backwards throw: his ICONIC suplex from all stars, but faster

Up Throw: Sackboy shoots his opponent up with the bounce pad

Down throw: Sackboy does the same thing but this time slams his opponent straight down

SPECIALS

Neutral Special: The Creatinator

This will be a pretty diverse weapon, Sackboy has a total of 5 different projectiles for this thing, and can each be changed when you hold down the button, and you fire your shots by tapping the button, this has ammo, but It gets refilled over time only.

Fire: the most generic projectile, flies straight forward and has 20 shots and they regenerate fast, can be spammed since it’s pretty weak

Cake: This has gravity and can stick to all surfaces, leading to many types of traps, you get 7 of these and it regenerates normally.

Jam: Sackboy shoots a bouncing ball that does a decent amount of damage( think the one from cuphead) but is very limited, you get 5 of these and they regenerate decenty

Missile: Sackboy shoots a powerful missile that moves super fast, he only has 3 of these each and they regenerate slowly because of how powerful they are

Toxic Gas: Sackboy shoots toxic gas that stays in place just like pirahna plants, the damage is like a mid charge Pirahna plant gas, he has 3 of these and they regenerate slowly

Side Special: The Paintinator

This is a pretty straightforward attack, can be angles all directions, has unlimited ammo but is VERY weak, dealing no knockback and only minimal damage, but it comes out quick so it’s a good alternative to the Creatinator if you wanna do good chip damage.

Up Special: Bounce Pad
Since all of the other cartoon 3rd party characters have the same recovery, I figured I would follow this trend.
Sackboy would summon a bounce pad and jump super high, this is practically identical to Sonics Recovery.

Down Special: the Checkpoint
Sackboy would instantly summon a checkpoint , he can do this in the air too, then if you tap the button again Sackboy will pause for a second or 2 then disappear and come out of the checkpoint, but after that you’ll have to wait 5 seconds to summon another one, it can’t be destroyed.

FINAL SMASH: Let’s get creative!

Sackboy would use his popit to grab anyone close to him, whoever’s caught will he pulled into a cutscene where Sackboy starts taking a bunch of tools and shapes and makes 1 out of 5 creations quickly, with the LBP narrator narrating everything, completely random which one he gets, he could get a Giant robot that shoots lasers at his enemy’s, an army of Sackbots running through them, a giant dragon, an airplane that crashes on them(reference to online levels) or a bunch of sharks( another reference).

OTHER STUFF

Sackboy would be VERY expressive, replicating the emotions you can do in LBP as a whole.

Taunts
Sackboy would be the only character with 4 taunts, each representing the emotions from his game.

Up taunt: a cute little happy dance
Left taunt: Sackboy would stomp his feat and cross his arms in frustration
Right Taunt: Sackboy would jump in the air, startled.
Down Taunt: Sackboy would start bawling.

Colors:
Now THIS is where the creativity really comes into play, in the character select screen, there will be a popit icon right next to Sackboy, if you click it, the costume menu from the popit will come up and you can make your own costumes! yeah, I know! There’s already some costumes saved there, like a Mario, Link, samus, and
Kratos one, but you can choose Sackboys color, his accessories, hats, shoes, and eyes, these will not change his hitboxes however and your costumes can be saved.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Same. We finally have a word from the higher ups, and they believe it's fake.

Can we just put this leak behind us and discuss...y'know, other games possible for Smash?
Sure. Actually that makes me wonder who everyone thinks might be an underrated pick for Smash that nobody is really talking about. I brought up a Soul Calibur rep the other day(and thanks to whoever it was that showed me Nightmare, he looks sick) but another thing I might go with is a League of Legends character. Like before, I can't really say who I think it would be mainly because LoL doesn't have one decided mascot like a lot of series do. I feel like it has enough worldwide popularity though that it should be looked at. Pretty big in North America and the UK for sure and some parts of the east, although I believe it's more Korea and China than Japan which might cause an issue. Riot is owned by Tencent as well, who I remember we just got done talking about recently in here. Personally I'm leaning towards probably not but I think it could pick up some traction much like Reimu did if it was tossed in some "leaks"

Plank08

Smash Lord
I do have some thoughts post leak semi-debunking.
Leak aside, I still think Doom Slayer is imminent for Smash Bros. Whether it's Fighter 5 or later remains to be seen.
The Mallow hat was also leaked a while ago, and I believe that leak whether it's the Mallow hat in the video or not, so I still believe Geno is imminent, though 99.99999% not Fighter 5 due to us already getting a Square Enix character this pass, plus Spirits likely deconfirmed the FIRST WAVE of Fighters.
Honestly dude, I still think the leak is real, I’ve said this twice, but here’s my theory

Since sabis sources saw that #5 isn’t Doomslayer or Geno, they assumed the leak was fake, when in actuality it is real but it’s not coming until next pass

D

Deleted member

Sure. Actually that makes me wonder who everyone thinks might be an underrated pick for Smash that nobody is really talking about. I brought up a Soul Calibur rep the other day(and thanks to whoever it was that showed me Nightmare, he looks sick) but another thing I might go with is a League of Legends character. Like before, I can't really say who I think it would be mainly because LoL doesn't have one decided mascot like a lot of series do. I feel like it has enough worldwide popularity though that it should be looked at. Pretty big in North America and the UK for sure and some parts of the east, although I believe it's more Korea and China than Japan which might cause an issue. Riot is owned by Tencent as well, who I remember we just got done talking about recently in here. Personally I'm leaning towards probably not but I think it could pick up some traction much like Reimu did if it was tossed in some "leaks"
LoL is quite confusing, but if Wild Rift gets to the Switch then they have what it takes.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Honestly dude, I still think the leak is real, I’ve said this twice, but here’s my theory

Since sabis sources saw that #5 isn’t Doomslayer or Geno, they assumed the leak was fake, when in actuality it is real but it’s not coming until next pass
This is the optimal future. Assuming Fighter 5 is Monster Hunter with a female alt or Lara Croft, since I want @Lesley Black Velvet to be happy, but I'm also being selfish by picking MY most wanted female characters.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Barring any leaks, I honestly have no clue who Fighter 5 could be. I've tried looking at the previous four fighters for any possible patterns that could hint at Fighter 5 (which admittedly isn't the best kind of speculation since it assumes Sakurai's following a pattern in the first place). The only pattern I could think of that applied to all four fighters with no major holes is this:

All fighter so far have come from old, classic game series that started before the 2000's.
  1. Joker is from Persona 5, which is a recent game... but the Persona series itself started with Revelations: Persona on the PS1 in 1996. If you also count the greater Megami Tensei franchise, that started with Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei on the Famicom in 1987.
  2. Hero is a composite of four Dragon Quest protagonists, with the earliest one (Arusu / Erdrick) hailing from Dragon Quest III on the Famicom in 1988, and the Dragon Quest series itself started on the Famicom in 1986.
  3. Banjo-Kazooie was released on the N64 in 1998, the most recent series represented here.
  4. Terry comes from Fatal Fury, which started on Neo Geo AES arcade hardware in 1991. He technically also represents The King of Fighters, which had its own first game released in 1994, also on Neo Geo AES arcade hardware. If you want to go even further and say he represents the entirety of SNK (which is reasonable considering he came with Psycho Soldier and Metal Slug music), the company released its first game, Ozma Wars, in 1979.
Now, this pattern narrows down the possibilities of Fighter 5 by... well, not a lot, considering there's plenty of characters who could fit into this pattern. At the very least, I think it rules out "modern" characters from series that started in 2000 or later (which means characters from Overwatch, Fortnite, and Minecraft are out, and it also sadly means that some fun characters like Dante, Phoenix Wright, and Master Chief would just barely miss the mark). Of course, there's also always the possibility that Sakurai was never following any sort of pattern in the first place and that Fighter 5 will be a curveball pick who completely throws the above pattern out the window.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think rathalos is all the MH content we are getting but Lara would be cool
Monster Hunter is my OCD pick. It's weird that we have a boss from a series without a playable character.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Barring any leaks, I honestly have no clue who Fighter 5 could be. I've tried looking at the previous four fighters for any possible patterns that could hint at Fighter 5 (which admittedly isn't the best kind of speculation since it assumes Sakurai's following a pattern in the first place). The only pattern I could think of that applied to all four fighters with no major holes is this:

All fighter so far have come from old, classic game series that started before the 2000's.
  1. Joker is from Persona 5, which is a recent game... but the Persona series itself started with Revelations: Persona on the PS1 in 1996. If you also count the greater Megami Tensei franchise, that started with Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei on the Famicom in 1987.
  2. Hero is a composite of four Dragon Quest protagonists, with the earliest one (Arusu / Erdrick) hailing from Dragon Quest III on the Famicom in 1988, and the Dragon Quest series itself started on the Famicom in 1986.
  3. Banjo-Kazooie was released on the N64 in 1998, the most recent series represented here.
  4. Terry comes from Fatal Fury, which started on Neo Geo AES arcade hardware in 1991. He technically also represents The King of Fighters, which had its own first game released in 1994, also on Neo Geo AES arcade hardware. If you want to go even further and say he represents the entirety of SNK (which is reasonable considering he came with Psycho Soldier and Metal Slug music), the company released its first game, Ozma Wars, in 1979.
Now, this pattern narrows down the possibilities of Fighter 5 by... well, not a lot, considering there's plenty of characters who could fit into this pattern. At the very least, I think it rules out "modern" characters from series that started in 2000 or later (which means characters from Overwatch, Fortnite, and Minecraft are out, and it also sadly means that some fun characters like Dante, Phoenix Wright, and Master Chief would just barely miss the mark). Of course, there's also always the possibility that Sakurai was never following any sort of pattern in the first place and that Fighter 5 will be a curveball pick who completely throws the above pattern out the window.
This might not be a pattern at all but all the third parties are from companies who have had healthy business relations with Nintendo these past couple years. So if we look at that we can probably narrow down the likely fifthed character

Plank08

Smash Lord
Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think the final fighter is Mario
No way that's happening. Platformers are a niche genre and any platformer that's not called Banjo Kazooie, Glover, or Bubsy 3D is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Mario fans are so desperate to act like Red-Cap Stalin is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant.

It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "historical value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct".

The harsh reality is that Nintendo is dead, Super Mario has never been mainstream, and unless you are a platformer junkie or Japanese, the only reason you might have even heard of Mario is because of memes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No way that's happening. Platformers are a niche genre and any platformer that's not called Banjo Kazooie, Glover, or Bubsy 3D is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Mario fans are so desperate to act like Red-Cap Stalin is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant.

It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "historical value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct". T

he harsh reality is that Nintendo is dead, Super Mario has never been mainstream, and unless you are a platformer junkie or Japanese, the only reason you might have even heard of Mario is because of memes.
Furthermore Mario's too violent for Smash. He flat out crushes most of his enemies into bloody pulps, burns them alive, and even uses an axe to finish off Bowser brutally. I don't think Nintendo can get away with any of that if they added him

D

Deleted member

Frankly, I do wonder why people still think that characters are a lock as the current Fighter's Pass is quite removed from what someone would have predicted. The only heavily speculated character so far is Banjo and there's no guarantee of Doomguy or Geno no matter how much "evidence" they have going forward.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Can someone remind me why Doomslayer is likely besides this leak? I don’t want to lose hope and I already know why geno is likely

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Frankly, I do wonder why people still think that characters are a lock as the current Fighter's Pass is quite removed from what someone would have predicted. The only heavily speculated character so far is Banjo and there's no guarantee of Doomguy or Geno no matter how much "evidence" they have going forward.
Calling a character a lock is silly in general. No newcomer not named Inkling was ever a 100% guarantee for this game

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Furthermore Mario's too violent for Smash. He flat out crushes most of his enemies into bloody pulps, burns them alive, and even uses an axe to finish off Bowser brutally. I don't think Nintendo can get away with any of that if they added him
I don't even know why people want Mario. He's just...boring. What can he do? Jump? The entire Smash roster can do that and more "Oh but he has power ups!" that wouldn't translate well at all in Smash because he loses them if he ever gets damaged. Would be SO much fun to have as a mechanic, right? /s

Personally, I think Sakurai should go for a more interesting Super Mario rep, such as Luigi. Luigi would be way more unique than Mario and yeah, the series is called "Super Mario" but Sakurai added Link before Zelda and the series is named after her so anything can happen

D

Deleted member

I don't even know why people want Mario. He's just...boring. What can he do? Jump? The entire Smash roster can do that and more "Oh but he has power ups!" that wouldn't translate well at all in Smash because he loses them if he ever gets damaged. Would be SO much fun to have as a mechanic, right? /s

Personally, I think Sakurai should go for a more interesting Super Mario rep, such as Luigi. Luigi would be way more unique than Mario and yeah, the series is called "Super Mario" but Sakurai added Link before Zelda and the series is named after her so anything can happen
Luigi's too sexy for Smash though. Have you seen Mario Tennis Aces when they gave him a crotch? Inappropriate design.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Can someone remind me why Doomslayer is likely besides this leak? I don’t want to lose hoe and I already know why geno is likely
How many times do I have to Copy / Paste this? Lol.

Doom Slayer has had a lot going for him besides the leak.
1. Bethesda has been butt buddies with Nintendo since the Switch launch.
2. Every DOOM game has been ported to Switch.
3. It is publicly known that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros.
4. Reggie said that Nintendo has never been denied a character for Smash.
5. Doom Slayer is both a modern and legacy character. Though Master Chief is probably the most popular FPS character, Doom Slayer is the one that popularized the genre.
6. During one Sakurai interview, he mentioned game developers born in 1970, and the international one he named dropped was John Carmack, whom he referred to as "the father of FPS's".
7. Doom Slayer has been rumored A LOT, and often, when a rumor persists, there's something to it.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Can someone remind me why Doomslayer is likely besides this leak? I don’t want to lose hoe and I already know why geno is likely
The only concrete thing is Pete Hines saying that they talked with Nintendo about Smash. Everything else is typical smash fandom speculation that involves **** that is very likely not related to Smash at all.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
The only real reason i think is actually timing in teh sense that the franchise is passing a very succesful revival. but honestly thats the least constant reason for expecting characters, an characters being added to smash due to a franchise good Timing is usually te exception rather than the rule.

I still think that doomslayer is posible, and teh reason he got so popular is not only because of teh fake leaks, but because IMO is a character that makes sense in smash and therefore resonates a lot... but nothing in particular is pointing at doomguy, and even if we expect the fp5 to be a legacy franchise with actual relevancy, he still need to compete with crash and dante.

That being said, i don't think that doomguy noise have been unheard, and if he isn't fp5, he is still a good candidate for teh future.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well, that leak was fun while it lasted.

I can't wait for the next one to surface in about a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom