• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's probably pretty hard to know whether or not Mii Costumes are fake or real from the inside, to be honest. That doesn't seem like a high priority enough thing to need to know.

If he did act surprised by it then maybe Slayer or Geno is Fighter 5 but the leak is fake. Weird situations.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
But why wouldn't be? it really doesn't make sense for there not to be one there. Especially since SSBU will likely be a GOTY nominee.
The Joker reveal at the VGAs was literally last minute, it doesn't guarantee another reveal at the VGAs. Especially since they probably want to priortize one of their newer games coming out, like BoTW2 or Metroid Prime 4. Nintendo isn't just Smash.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Random thought...

If 2B does manage to get in, I want Weight of the World (Prelude Version) to come with the pack.
In addition to being a great arrangement, it'd give Smash at least a tiny bit of FFXIV.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If the mii costumes are real, it could be the case that they're in the game without Geno or Doomguy as DLC fighters, as disappointing that might be.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So here's a fun topic what assist trophies would you guys want to break free and become playable let's limit it to 5
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
1. Waluigi
2. Tiki
3. Alucard
4. Starfy
5. Shovel Knight

D

Deleted member

It's probably pretty hard to know whether or not Mii Costumes are fake or real from the inside, to be honest. That doesn't seem like a high priority enough thing to need to know.

If he did act surprised by it then maybe Slayer or Geno is Fighter 5 but the leak is fake. Weird situations.
Aw **** it's Palutena all over again

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
?
So here's a fun topic what assist trophies would you guys want to break free and become playable let's limit it to 5
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
If it were my choice, I'd have Zero, Alucard, Shadow, Isaac, and Kat & Ana.
However, I feel like the devs would pick Ashley, Black Knight, Waluigi, Krystal, and Isaac.
View attachment 245798
Don’t ask how I got this image, just know that it’s here
Okay.
Sabi's comments:

This just feels like another "I don't know" to me
Yikes!
Well, well, well. If I may interrupt. Got another China update: this time Tencent updated Nintendo Switch's Weibo (Chinese Twitter) for the first time in three months. The account said (translation by the Twitter account Chinese Nintendo): "Hi Everyone! It's been 3 months since ChinaJoy, and we miss you a lot. Currently, work for the Chinese edition of Nintendo Switch is now actively underway.":

ChinaJoy is Shanghai's E3 pretty much. Yea, the place where Nintendo and Tencent had that press conference and presentation three months ago*. A couple of important points:

* The last presentation was announced ca. a week before it took place. Whether it takes place tomorrow or next week, this time will likely be on short notice.

* NSMBU was approved last week, the Switch Lite's been recently (preliminarily) approved and Tencent's hiring left and right for the Switch. They also showed off BOTW, Odyssey and Lets Go three months ago. Nintendo and Tencent will go for broke one way or the other, that's for sure. Aside from announcing the launch day, I'm personally also expecting further details on those games, them spotlighting games like Smash etc. One thing worth looking out for is whether the Chinese Switch will be region locked or not: A popular streamer who claims close ties with Tencent claimed that the Chinese Switch would not be region locked. Speculating here, I could see that. Steam's not affected by censorship at all, and with some fine-tuning and finagling Nintendo could actually pull off a similar stunt. Their games being mostly family friendly helps a lot.

* Smash is very likely to be advertised there IMHO. Ultimate's the biggest fighter ever and Nintendo's characters (alongside SNK's) are very well known there. I find it likely that Terry will feature in ads alongside Mario and Pikachu, and that's one of the reasons why I think FP will be bundled with Chinese Smash. Also, I strongly doubt FP5 will be shown here, but the off chance should be kept in mind.

Yes, Tencent is, as NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy said when NSMBU was approved, ****ing scary. No doubt. And Tencent's not popular with Chinese hardcore people either to say the least. However, interest in the Switch is high in China, and depending on how it goes the Switch (and Smash) might see a major boost from the Chinese release. As far as Tencent goes, their choices are likely either LoL (100 % owned) or Jonesy (40 %). Not superlikely (not with Sakurai's recent comments in mind), but I'm personally calling them contenders for Post-FP DLC. I strongly doubt anyone from CoD Mobile (yea, really), nor any characters from their indie studio NEXT Studios (Bladed Fury, Death Coming).

(*Sidenote: The penguin is the WeChat Penguin, Tencent's mascot. The Verge link does also have an interesting related article: How WeChat came to rule China).
I'm cool with Fortnite in Smash. Nintendo needs to appeal to the kiddies too, you know.
So where's people modding existing hats? That could be a work-around for modding entire hats.
Even with this work-around, no one has yet attempted to debunk the leaks...
No... Blender, and still images with no gameplay proof whatsoever doesn't debunk anything.
Pretty sure adding even a pixel to the hats will increase the filesize to more than 2 Megs, crashing the game.
I'm still leaning towards Team Real, because there's just absolutely no way some random guy out there found out how to breakthrough something that is really not that interesting (After all, modding fighters into something else like Thanos, Shaggy or Goku looks better than having a Mii wear a Goku Hat).
I'm in the middle on that "leak". On one hand, sure, it's very difficult to mod, especially with jiggle physics on Mallow. On the other hand, I haven't seen any proof that the guy who made the "leak" was, indeed, teh same guy who leaked Ken. Also, there's nothing supporting the leak either. Additionally, being difficult to mod doesn't mean it's impossible to do so. But who knows? It could be real, and it could be fake...

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
1. Tiki
2. Alucard
3. Ghirahim
4. Guile
5. & Knuckles

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm not going to make an assist upgrade list because they're almost all cool, but y'all's lack of Phosphora is disturbing.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Sabi has responded to the Geno thread

I didn’t speculate that the leak is fake. I was told that it seems to be fake by the source that knows fighter 5. I am asking for a clarification on if just part of it is or all of it, THAT is what I’m clarifying. If something changes, I’ll clarify myself. Just that it seems to be fake. I don’t know if it just applies to the doom part or what, THAT is what I’m trying to figure out for you guys. I’m not sure what else I can say lol, my sources speak for themselves. If this is some misunderstanding and they tell me they were mixed up on the mii thing, I’ll say it relatively soon, whenever i talk to them again. Im just going on what they last told me. I’ve never lied to you guys.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

Somebody smart! That is exactly why I was initially interested in this leak. My source is question solely looked into the miis. Since he’d already heard who fighter 5, I was pretty surprised he looked into the miis. Hence why I’m asking him for clarification tonight.

D

Deleted member

I'm not going to make an assist upgrade list because they're almost all cool, but y'all's lack of Phosphora is disturbing.
She would basically just be Sonic but with lightning powers and hot. Actually, that's kind of cool. Nevermind.

Somebody smart! That is exactly why I was initially interested in this leak. My source is question solely looked into the miis. Since he’d already heard who fighter 5, I was pretty surprised he looked into the miis. Hence why I’m asking him for clarification tonight.
Are we sure you can say anything even if the leak is real? What about your c&d?

Last edited by a moderator:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
My Assist Trophy promotion list of 5 would be:

1. Isaac
2. Bomberman
3. Krystal
4. Waluigi
5. Alucard

And Skull Kid. I’m going to cheat and throw him in there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Could also mean that Geno is a Mii costume though. As a Mallow costume with a Geno costume wouldn't be that weird.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
Surprisingly hard question beyond my first two picks, there’s so many good potential fighters stuck in that miserable jar.

1.) Shovel Knight
2.) Waluigi
3.) Isaac
4.) Midna (The heart says Skull Kid but Midna probably makes more sense)
5.) Starfy

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Very cool! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
You're welcome! Any characters like those are going to catch people off guard (just like Terry did) so keeping an eye out for that region could be important. One could argue even Reimu / Touhou would be another surprise pick for most here.

For all we know, the Chinese Switch might flop, or it might succeed so much that China becomes Nintendo's 4th major region. Or anywhere in between. Most things I've seen point towards a good-or-better showing (high interest in China being one of those factors), but it's still up in the air.

(Edited the image for mobile)

Honestly, I'm very divided right now. On one hand, this could be great for my girl Ahri and her fellow champions. On the other... "Damn, Tencent, you scary."

I hope that, if anything, Nintendo's situation remains kinda like Steam's... sounds like a good compromise to me.

So a China-exclusive presentation could be happening soon, then? I doubt anything major would get revealed (though we did get a few Japan-first trailers in Smash 4), but it could be very telling if the Pass is indeed bundled with the base game in the Chinese release. It would, in my eyes, increase the chances of some characters that are popular there - for next season, at least.
I hope so too, and there are a couple reasons I could see it. The Switch handles regions on an account basis, meaning it's easy to make an EU, NA or whatever account to access the eShop. The Chinese version could easily work in a similar way, with the Chinese version having access to WeChat Pay (their PayPal, guess who owns them? Yup) and being on the safer side generally. The international versions wouldn't be banned per se, but certainly in that "grey market" (like the consoles imported from Hong Kong, JP or NA). Steam's digital after all, and Nintendo could certainly follow their example with the digital eShop.

That said, there's a major chunk of mainland Chinese who really fear / dislike the censorship. So having the Switch in a Steam-like situation would be a godsend to them. Not saying everyone of course, but the Winnie the Pooh meme originally came from and spread within the Chinese web (It was created by the Weibo user badtuzizi).

I'd think that a Chinese-exclusive presentation would be in the cards, yes. Odyssey and Lets Go got Chinese-specific presentations, after all. The only way I could see FP5 being shown off there would be if Sakurai himself flew over there, but SNK already got in. SNK (and their owners) are also close to Tencent, so I doubt Tencent will ask for more right off the bat. The Chinese-exclusive presentation sounds more like the start of a major ad campaign. As I've speculated before, if Terry's likely to star in those ads it'd feel extremely odd if he (and the other FP characters) were paywalled for another 5 bucks. Especially when the Chinese are late to the party and those grey market consoles (and copies of Smash) exist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, idk, when I leaked the entire nindies presentation a month and a half ago, most of e3, told vergeben and leaked about terry, the Pokémon leaks, the 40+ games from the video game showcase in August.
Okay. Now what about Smash? I don't think backing Vergeben on Terry is something you specifically needed to do for us.

D

Deleted member

Oh, idk, when I leaked the entire nindies presentation a month and a half ago, most of e3, told vergeben and leaked about terry, the Pokémon leaks, the 40+ games from the video game showcase in August.
Sorry for coming off as disrespectful but many of us have just been frustrated with the way you've carried yourself about Smash speculation. If you were aware of Banjo prior to E3 why not just outright confirm it? If you knew about Terry why wait for Verg to say something when pretty much everybody already guessed him?
I understand that you're under a C&D and want to protect yourself but in that case why continue to involve yourself with Smash/Nintendo leaks at all?

D

Deleted member

Oh and also, it seems that the Gamexplain dudes are also pretty sure that the leak is fake from one of the videos looking into the Terry. I do wonder if fake how did they do it.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
You're welcome! Any characters like those are going to catch people off guard (just like Terry did) so keeping an eye out for that region could be important. One could argue even Reimu / Touhou would be another surprise pick for most here.
I figured Touhou was still pretty popular in China, so that certainly doesn't hurt her chances! Are there other characters you'd consider "frontrunners" in the Chinese community which you don't see get much attention here?

D

Deleted member

Oh and also, it seems that the Gamexplain dudes are also pretty sure that the leak is fake from one of the videos looking into the Terry. I do wonder if fake how did they do it.
Tbh, should we really trust GameXplain on leaks? I know they debatably have insider knowledge, but whether its conveyed seems to be up to our own speculation.

Also how'd they react to the ESRB leak?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Give it to me straight.... Does Neon Genesis Evangelion ever pick up in pace? Im on ep 6 rn and its a tad slow

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The Chinese version could easily work in a similar way, with the Chinese version having access to WeChat Pay (their PayPal, guess who owns them? Yup)
So... which company better screams "I am inevitable" in your opinion? Disney or Tencent?

I'd think that a Chinese-exclusive presentation would be in the cards, yes. Odyssey and Lets Go got Chinese-specific presentations, after all. The only way I could see FP5 being shown off there would be if Sakurai himself flew over there, but SNK already got in. SNK (and their owners) are also close to Tencent, so I doubt Tencent will ask for more right off the bat. The Chinese-exclusive presentation sounds more like the start of a major ad campaign. As I've speculated before, if Terry's likely to star in those ads it'd feel extremely odd if he (and the other FP characters) were paywalled for another 5 bucks. Especially when the Chinese are late to the party and those grey market consoles (and copies of Smash) exist.
Hm, maybe not FP5, but what about future DLC? Odyssey and Let's Go were already released games, and no new content was shown first there (AFAIK). So what are the chances of a future reveal being made in a chinese event, in your opinion? It would be completely new, upcoming content appearing first at... ChinaJoy, or whatever other big events are there. Is it theoretically possible?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Sorry for coming off as disrespectful but many of us have just been frustrated with the way you've carried yourself about Smash speculation. If you were aware of Banjo prior to E3 why not just outright confirm it? If you knew about Terry why wait for Verg to say something when pretty much everybody already guessed him?
I understand that you're under a C&D and want to protect yourself but in that case why continue to involve yourself with Smash/Nintendo leaks at all?
You should ask vergeben yourself. The reason he literally said “don’t worry Sabi I’ll tell them” is because I was one of the people who literally told him. Do I need to post DMs now? Lol. I literally said I promised my source I wouldn’t leak him myself so I wanted verge to go public first.

And you can’t ignore the fact verge said fighter 5 isn’t ryu nearly 5 days after me. That’s because we literally work together. Regarding the c&d, that’s why my bud nanakarobi leaks most of the Nintendo stuff for me like the entire nindies direct. I generally haven’t posted a lot of Nintendo myself, and allowed him to post most of it. Otherwise I just say in discord. But yeah, if somebody ever thought I was piggybacking verge, just asking him yourself lol. Rummy Rummy Nazyrus Nazyrus can back me up on basically all of this. So can Papagenos.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Tbh, should we really trust GameXplain on leaks? I know they debatably have insider knowledge, but whether its conveyed seems to be up to our own speculation.

They believed it.
They also straight up said the GrinchLeak was fake, like every insiders ever only to get **** on.
And are also Saying this leak is fake.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
  1. Isaac
  2. Waluigi
You can chose the others, I only really care about Isaac. I would set a poll to know which one are the most requested for the other three.

If it was only me, that would ends like this:
  • Bomberman, to add a new serie
  • Springman, to add a new serie
  • Skull Kid or Midna, for Zelda representativity

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IIRC it was the other way around.
Here's how I remember it.

"I'm going to back somebody reliable who also has the same source, but I'm not gonna tell until they say it! Have fun guessing who it is. ;)"
*After Vergeben says Terry*
"Oh by the way, it was Vergeben. I was right. Look at me. Professionalism. "

They believed it.
They also straight up said the GrinchLeak was fake, like every insiders ever only to get **** on.
And are also Saying this leak is fake.
Interesting. Might have to ignore the Hat leak then until more info comes out.

I think they said ESRB was fake (could be wrong though, just remember reading that in a few posts)

I do also remember them saying that Tower of Smash leak from back then was real too

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
This is Nintendo. Not another word, missy.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Here's how I remember it.

"I'm going to back somebody reliable who also has the same source, but I'm not gonna tell until they say it! Have fun guessing who it is. ;)"
*After Vergeben says Terry*
"Oh by the way, it was Vergeben. I was right. Look at me. Professionalism. "

Interesting. Might have to ignore the Hat leak then until more info comes out.
I remember Sabi teasing Terry with images of his hat and whatnot before Verge said anything.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I remember Sabi teasing Terry with images of his hat and whatnot before Verge said anything.
That is true, and on top of that verge even addressed the fact that I was avoiding outright saying his name before, “it’s okay Sabi, I’ll say it”. At this rate, somebody’s going to be in so much denial that they’ll ask for DMs from verge where he literally addressed me as a source for terry. Ive never seen somebody accuse me of “piggybacking” verge when he literally said the ryu thing 4 days after me just a few weeks ago lol. It’s almost like we share stuff and have been open about it.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
All this current discussion does is remind me of how much it bothers me that people shorten Vergeben's name to "Verge". The fact that his name choice has caused a perfectly innocent German word to be mangled and mispronounced constantly in Smash speculation simply cannot be forgiven.

Or, wait. . . das kann nicht vergeben werden.
Perfekt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom