• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
Because its not easy, but the point is that it IS possible. I mean, the Rayman leak wasn't easy either, but it was still faked.
That's fine, and I hope that I came across as not being totally on the real train either, as I'm definitely not. I just want to see someone do it. Given that we likely have a month or more before our next batch of info, there's plenty of time for someone to do so.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
all this talk of cero and sexy characters really makes me glad KOS-MOS got redesigned in Xenoblade 2 with a fantastic nintendofied design. I imagine people still think it is sexy but at least there’s no boob window and she looks so badass.

That being said if she got in I’m pretty sure Pyra and Mythra as stage cameos would be censored.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Or in the U.S. either. Call of Duty is known for having a bunch of angry 5 year olds that shouldn't even be playing because the game's rated M.
Even in the games like Fortnite which are more child friendly they're still shouting racial slurs at you and making the unlikely claim that they've all slept with your mother

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
all this talk of cero and sexy characters really makes me glad KOS-MOS got redesigned in Xenoblade 2 with a fantastic nintendofied design. I imagine people still think it is sexy but at least there’s no boob window and she looks so badass.

That being said if she got in I’m pretty sure Pyra and Mythra as stage cameos would be censored.
That design honestly isn't that much more conservative than some of the past designs.

And it's Sakurai, so I think you can guess which he'd opt for.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Mythra's spirit itself was censored to cover her boob window and tights were put on her legs..Pyra's wasn't, so her's might actually be fine since those are shorts (they could be lengthened though).

That said, I don't think that design would pass CERO A either due to being able to upskirt, that's the bigger issue with them.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ohhhh I am nailing these ****ing inputs. All those years of sucking complete ass at KoF is finally paying off in Smash Online lol

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I still believe that my YoRHa unit 2B will get in this. Literally all Sakurai would need to do is cover her butt with some shorts or something. I bet Taro would be cool with it
jlkwu8m7m9d31.jpg

Ivander

Smash Legend
Mythra's spirit itself was censored to cover her boob window and tights were put on her legs..Pyra's wasn't, so her's might actually be fine since those are shorts (they could be lengthened though).

That said, I don't think that design would pass CERO A either due to being able to upskirt, that's the bigger issue with them.
Maybe. Maybe not. The reason that one "might" pass is because she is wearing a swimsuit/leotard-like outfit and it fully shows itself, as her little belt thing does not try to hide her leotard outfit. It might have a chance in the sense that it's not an outfit with a belt/skirt that hides their panties.

I could be wrong though. I mean, we don't have a female character with a leotard/one-piece swimsuit, so we don't know for sure. Unless Cammy counts due to her Spirit's artwork wearing her classic leotard.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
All they gotta do to fix 2B is cover up her upper leg area and ass with tights. Fixed.

Mai wasn't quite as easy of a fix I guess and probably wasn't worth the trouble for a simple cameo.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
The issue with CERO seems to be that they don't like upskirt shots or any outfit that allows for an upskirt shot, rather than sexiness or breasts. During Smash 4, Sakurai and his team had issues with CERO simply because CERO thought Palutena, who is far tamer than Mai, they thought the slit in her dress was showing a bit too much to allow for a up shot and they had to stitch up the slit a good amount before getting the Okay. No one in the West noticed because this was only in Japan.
So it's hardly because of sexiness, as Samus' and Shulk's Alternate costumes and Bayonetta exist in Smash. They seem to get the Okay from CERO because they don't have underwear to show. CERO doesn't appear to have any issue with suits, shorts and whatnot. Meanwhile, Palutena and Female Corrin were sniped because their outfits could show underwear(especially in the case of Female Corrin, who's panties were outright exposed).

When you look at Mai, it's easy to understand why they had trouble with her, although it's not something simple like sexiness. Alot of people assume she would do her fighting pose that exposes her breasts when she has plenty of other poses where she's very tame. Like this one here:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...iranui..jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110903030152
As you can see in this one, she's not flaunting her breasts like her fighting pose. Heck, she's hardly even exposed aside from her legs, similarly to Lyn from Fire Emblem when summoned from the Assist Trophy. It's even possible that when they tried to put Mai in the game, they had her in a very tame pose like this one. If that's the case, her breasts and "sexiness" were far from an issue. But by the looks of it, despite having a tame pose and making it impossible to see her panties during gameplay, UNLESS people directly tried to look for them, CERO simply had the issue at the idea of a character showing panties, even if gameplay wise they are never ever seen.
Considering Sakurai's love of SNK, that outfit is Mai's iconic look that she's had for more than 15 years that putting her in anything else probably felt like a fan disservice. SNK did try to give her a different look in one of the other Fatal Fury games, but that was quickly discarded and she was put back into her previous look. Sakurai may have fought to try to keep the iconic look while keeping the A rating, but CERO was too stubborn to budge just because she could show her panties.
If Mai was going to be a playable character, Sakurai certainly would've found a way to get her in, but ultimately, she was just simply going to be a background element and apparently, that was enough to make the choice of simply not putting her in if they couldn't get her in with her iconic look.
In the nicest way possible, I really don’t feel like reading any of this. I simplified the argument into “sexiness”, and it’s the lack of clothing for Mai that would make it difficult to cover her and stay close to the source material. If you’re going into “it’s more than just ‘sexiness’”, then it’s a moot point that I already know.

While I’m not a fan of the decision myself, CERO is 100% justified on their end, and I don’t hold anything against them.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I actually find it kinda easier on thumbstick. But then I've been playing SF that way for years on my Xbox controllers.
I've used Playstation controllers (via converter) for every version of the Xbox I've ever owned. Their controllers were always too big/and or awkward for me.

As for Smash, my (handheld mode) left joycon has a traditional D-pad, so it's perfect for 2D fighters:

But alas... that D-pad can't be used for directional inputs in this game.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
In the nicest way possible, I really don’t feel like reading any of this. I simplified the argument into “sexiness”, and it’s the lack of clothing for Mai that would make it difficult to cover her and stay close to the source material. If you’re going into “it’s more than just ‘sexiness’”, then it’s a moot point that I already know.

While I’m not a fan of the decision myself, CERO is 100% justified on their end, and I don’t hold anything against them.
If you did read, I said it's not sexiness and that her breasts and sexiness were far from an issue. The actual issue is that she simply has her panties exposed, even if they are never seen during gameplay. CERO just doesn't seem to like outfits that allow for panty shots and whatnot, even if it is impossible to see them during normal gameplay, unless the player deliberately looked for them. Mai's breasts and sexiness aren't the issue. It's CERO being ridiculously strict with outfits that can be "looked up".

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've used Playstation controllers (via converter) for every version of the Xbox I've ever owned. Their controllers were always too big/and or awkward for me.

As for Smash, my (handheld mode) left joycon has a traditional D-pad, so it's perfect for 2D fighters:

It's kinda weird that we aren't given the option to use the D-Pad given that the Wii Remote allowed it in Brawl and Wii U.
Would allow people to use the NES and SNES controllers.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
it’s the lack of clothing for Mai that would make it difficult to cover her and stay close to the source material. If you’re going into “it’s more than just ‘sexiness’”, then it’s a moot point that I already know.
If you did read, I said it's not sexiness and that her breasts and sexiness were far from an issue. The actual issue is that she simply has her panties exposed, even if they are never seen during gameplay. CERO just doesn't seem to like outfits that allow for up-skirt shots and whatnot, even if it is impossible to see them during normal gameplay, unless the player deliberately looked for them. Mai's breasts and sexiness aren't the issue. It's CERO being ridiculously strict with outfits that can be "looked up".
I mean, same. Like I said, I simplified my argument, hence the quotes in the first post. We’re arguing over something we agree on.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm concerned how Sakurai said he was interested in "bringing new worlds" with the post-fighter pass characters. It makes me think we won't get anymore first party newcomers in Ultimate and, therefore, no new playable Pokemon from Sword and Shield. I remember when Smash used to be mainly a Nintendo crossover, but Ultimate added in too many third party characters, and now the roster is starting to feel like something straight out of MUGEN.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I still believe that my YoRHa unit 2B will get in this. Literally all Sakurai would need to do is cover her butt with some shorts or something. I bet Taro would be cool with it
View attachment 245619
2B wouldn't be too difficult, they just have to make her stockings into tights/leggings in order to cover her and the white leotard, thus making it so there'd be no worry about an upskirt shot of her leotard..kind of like this.
2BCensored-Blk.png
Maybe. Maybe not. The reason that one "might" pass is because she is wearing a swimsuit/leotard-like outfit and it fully shows itself, as her little belt thing does not try to hide her leotard outfit. It might have a chance in the sense that it's not an outfit with a belt/skirt that hides their panties.

I could be wrong though. I mean, we don't have a female character with a leotard/one-piece swimsuit, so we don't know for sure. Unless Cammy counts due to her Spirit's artwork wearing her classic leotard.
A leotard isn't enough, this is why Bayonetta still has her legs covered when using Wicked Weaves when before it would essentially put her into a 'swimsuit'-like leotard. Female Corrin is in a leotard too (those aren't her panties) and those also got censored. Anything vaguely bikini/panty cut is out (which is funny since they evidently didn't have a problem with Bikini Peach in Super Mario Odyssey). Artwork is evidently fine..weirdly enough.
I'm concerned how Sakurai said he was interested in "bringing new worlds" with the post-fighter pass characters. It makes me think we won't get anymore first party newcomers in Ultimate and, therefore, no new playable Pokemon from Sword and Shield. I remember when used to be mainly a Nintendo crossover, but Ultimate added in too many third party characters, and now the roster is starting to feel like something straight out of MUGEN.
I'm honestly more than okay with that..there's really not that many 1st/2nd Party characters I'm interested in that don't already have some sort of role in Smash..and honestly, I'm more hyped for 3rd Party content as DLC than I am for 1st/2nd Party as DLC.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean, same. Like I said, I simplified my argument, hence the quotes in the first post. We’re arguing over something we agree on.
I sorta see it. Although the way your post is worded, it sounded like it was implying sexiness was still an issue(It's more than just sexiness) when I said it wasn't.

Anyway, let's just leave it at that since we are agreeing on the same thing.
A leotard isn't enough, this is why Bayonetta still has her legs covered when using Wicked Weaves when before it would essentially put her into a 'swimsuit'-like leotard. Female Corrin is in a leotard too (those aren't her panties) and those also got censored. Anything vaguely bikini/panty cut is out (which is funny since they evidently didn't have a problem with Bikini Peach in Super Mario Odyssey). Artwork is evidently fine..weirdly enough.
You're actually thinking of Female Corrin's Nohr Noble design, which is her promotion and she does wear a Leotard. Female Corrin's Nohr Princess, which is her Smash look, does not have a leotard.
Here's Female Corrin's Nohr Noble.

Now here's Female Corrin's Nohr Princess, with the panties visible.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I love these Pop Team Epic Mii Fighters, and I hope Fighter 5 comes with more costumes that allow for these.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm concerned how Sakurai said he was interested in "bringing new worlds" with the post-fighter pass characters. It makes me think we won't get anymore first party newcomers in Ultimate and, therefore, no new playable Pokemon from Sword and Shield. I remember when used to be mainly a Nintendo crossover, but Ultimate added in too many third party characters, and now the roster is starting to feel like something straight out of MUGEN.
I disagree.

And if we're getting 1st party characters (which I think is eventually going to happen in the future)... personally, I'd rather focus on franchises with no playable reps first.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Character Bethesda MADE vs character Bethesda acquired.
Which is of course completely reasonable and correct and why Kunio will be the first ArcSys character.

Mai wasn't quite as easy of a fix I guess and probably wasn't worth the trouble for a simple cameo.
What Mai needs is some of that fishnetting that's so popular with the kunoichis.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Wait don't you have this backwards? Arcsys acquired Kunio, so he wouldn't be first if this was indeed how it played out
He's saying that a character ACQUIRED by Bethesda would be just as reasonable as a character MADE by Bethesda. Thus Kunio.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If you live in a timeline where Banjo was always owned by Microsoft, my condolences on missing out on some good N64 games.
....that's not what I meant xP

Though I honestly do want to play the Banjo games and have for a long time, but the only methofs of playing either cost $100+

He's saying that a character ACQUIRED by Bethesda would be just as reasonable as a character MADE by Bethesda. Thus Kunio.
Nonononono, I meant that the character Bethesda made should be BEFORE the one they acquired.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Each to their own.

I have Nintendo-owned characters I root for, but new series joining the fray is a lot more interesting than an nth Pokemon for me.

One of the biggest appeals of Ultimate is how crazy big its crossover scope.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
....that's not what I meant xP

Though I honestly do want to play the Banjo games and have for a long time, but the only methofs of playing either cost $100+

Nonononono, I meant that the character Bethesda made should be BEFORE the one they acquired.
I wasn't talking about your post. I was talking about enders.

D

Deleted member

I know I'm late, but I am legit annoyed that Sakurai / Sora / Bandai-Namco / Nintendo thought that Mai was too *****-licious for a friggin' CAMEO. Shulk literally has a costume in his goddamned undies, but Mai has too much thigh? Double ****ing sexist standard.
If you ask me, this is the real sexism. Thoughts @Lesley Black Velvet ?
You know me.

We took it right in the feels. But I took it like a champ. Though it is something worth fighting for.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I sorta see it. Although the way your post is worded, it sounded like it was implying sexiness was still an issue(It's more than just sexiness) when I said it wasn't.

Anyway, let's just leave it at that since we are agreeing on the same thing.

You're actually thinking of Female Corrin's Nohr Noble design, which is her promotion and she does wear a Leotard. Female Corrin's Nohr Princess, which is her Smash look, does not have a leotard.
Here's Female Corrin's Nohr Noble.

Now here's Female Corrin's Nohr Princess, with the panties visible.
My mistake, I always thought they were the same exact leotard that she wore in the Nohr Noble class since the design honestly looks identical in Fire Emblem Fates (not helped by the fact that pretty much every single female Nohrian unit in Fates wears the same leotard)..but looking at the model viewer in Fire Emblem Warriors, it seems you're right, they are at the very least bikini bottom-style bottoms. It didn't help my confusion with her having differently designed, more covering underwear in each of her armor break models in Warriors..but that little bit of weirdness goes for pretty much all of the girls..and some of the boys too..

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration

As someone who's used both I've found that the PlayStation controller's thumbsticks feel more loose and imprecise - they don't offer as much resistance as the Xbox 360 controller, and your thumb has to reach farther to use the thumbstick making it feel uncomfortable. The PS4 has a great d-pad though, and its analog sticks aren't as bad as previous generations.

Switch's thumbstick doesn't feel very good in comparison either because it's smaller and pivots way less than the other controllers. But the main reason the d-pad can't be used for Smash is because it still uses analog controls for some strange reason. I don't know why they haven't done away with analog controls in Smash yet, Are they even used for anything? It's just another bit of the outdated design of Smash gameplay creeping in. The game needs a huge overhaul because for whatever reason it's still using stuff held over from the N64.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I know I'm late, but I am legit annoyed that Sakurai / Sora / Bandai-Namco / Nintendo thought that Mai was too *****-licious for a friggin' CAMEO. Shulk literally has a costume in his goddamned undies, but Mai has too much thigh? Double ****ing sexist standard.
If you ask me, this is the real sexism. Thoughts @Lesley Black Velvet ?
I mean we got Samus running around in what's basically her undies too so it's not gender exclusive.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Why? What if Sakurai didn't want that character? Its not like he can ask the original company for the rights, he has to ask the acquired company.
I mean, we got Cloud before Hero (fun fact, it was Enix that acquired Square, not the other way around...Final Fantasy Spirits Within flopping put them into bankruptcy)

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Meanwhile, I'm just here trying figure out how I can make a Ragna movelist that includes all his specials from Central Fiction

D

Deleted member

Why? What if Sakurai didn't want that character? Its not like he can ask the original company for the rights, he has to ask the acquired company.
I mean, we got Cloud before Hero (fun fact, it was Enix that acquired Square, not the other way around...Final Fantasy Spirits Within flopping put them into bankruptcy)
Perhaps the same could be said of Banjo Kazooie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom