• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well it looks like we're waiting for the Game Awards for our final character then. There is no way the final character will be revealed in 2020 when the end date for the pass is in February.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I still like the idea of Sakurai showing off some SNK games.

We've joked before that the Hero and BK presentations are the start of Sakurai's career as a game streamer.

Sakurai's shown off his game collection before and now he's about to whip his Neo Geo collection out.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Maybe it's just me but I think dedicating ~20 minutes of a Super Smash Bros. direct to a game that isn't Super Smash Bros. is incredibly misguided. You're not going to make people care about something they don't already care about by making them wait through it as they anticipate new content, even if Smash does owe a lot to it. Even previous directs that focused 9~ minutes on a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got torn apart because that's way too long for a game that not everyone is interested in. That sounds like a bad joke, like "what if Sakurai spent 20 minutes cussing out the viewer for not caring about this thing he likes, ha ha" which is great as a ****posty joke on a forum but maybe not so great as an actual video people are expected to watch.

D

Deleted member

I've been double-checking that Mii Costume 4chan leak, and even if it's obviously fake and piggybacking for information, it soon touched my curiosity.

1. If the title was 20/10/19, it's either he messed up the date, or he was some sort of insider who wrote it all down on his notepad, waited for the time to strike (the Mii costume leak), and then spread it on 4chan. I don't know about anything, but considering that Sabi and Verg are silent, it seems likely that he was saving it for this moment and forgot to change the date.

2. The "There is no character announcement at the end of the stream" part is also what bugged me. Lines up perfectly with Nintendo's tweet. I still believe that it is fake, but had the leaker wait for both stars to align, then he would've made his move.

While I do not support this leak, it's still worth putting under a microscope.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Just saying, no mirror of these videos has been taken down after 24+ hours. That's a red flag that it may even be fake.
But what if Nintendo knows that removing it will make it obvious it's real so they're instead opting to leave it to make it look fake.

Nah, I doubt there's any 4D chess going on for the game that left brave in and messed up with SNK copyright.
As far as I recall, they've been quite on the ball in removing leaks (e.g. ESRB leak) and just got rid of a whole lot of pokemon leaks today.
Even if the info is obvious, they've been active about removing them immediately (such as the Bloody tears/SNK ones). Especially if the info has to come from somewhere much more internal such as a phone filming.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I just want Terry at this point. My mind has been so boggled by the craziness today that I almost forgot how excited I am for him. I've been goofing off in Mark of the Wolves and CVS2 in preparation these past few days and I just love how much Terry breathes "hype" into all of his attacks. It's the same reason I love Roy and Japanese Ken so much, they put so much OOMPH into screaming their attacks that I can't help but get as pumped as they are. Same goes for Terry, the dude could make writing an essay fun if he really wanted to.

D

Deleted member

I just want Terry at this point. My mind has been so boggled by the craziness today that I almost forgot how excited I am for him. I've been goofing off in Mark of the Wolves and CVS2 in preparation these past few days and I just love how much Terry breathes "hype" into all of his attacks. It's the same reason I love Roy and Japanese Ken so much, they put so much OOMPH into screaming their attacks that I can't help but get as pumped as they are. Same goes for Terry, the dude could make writing an essay fun if he really wanted to.
That's how I slowly appreciated the character =)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Goddammit I'm at work during the announcement and there's no wifi there anymore forcing me to wait nearly 4 hours to actually see this asshole. At least we already know it's 45 minutes because Sakurai kept going off script and not because there's more news

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
It's odd that the announcement details outright say there is no information on unreleased fighters. That seems like a first.

Edit: 400th post. ~22 per year since I joined Smash Boards (Smash World Forums, I believe they were called?).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder what the Mii costume situation will be like.

Will it be all SNK or will it be a mixture of random ones like Banjo & Kazooie?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I wonder what the Mii costume situation will be like.

Will it be all SNK or will it be a mixture of random ones like Banjo & Kazooie?
Probably both.
Microsoft probably only negotiated Banjo and Kazooie, nothing else. They probably didn't even attempt Mii Costumes, but I could see some in the future.
Banjo was just too insanely popular to pass up.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I’m gonna make a ballsy and baseless prediction; they’re gonna start a second fighter ballot
Yeah, I don't want another go at fandom-wide pissing contest, the first one was more than enough.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Regarding that Mii Costume "Premium Costume leak", while I Mostly don't believe it, If for some reason it turned out to be true, I wouldn't be completely surprised and would understand the decisions

-All those amount of SNK Mii Costumes doesn't seem out of the ordinary. My only gripe is no Iori
-Sora, Crash, and Doomguy being Mii Costumes seems stupid, but i can understand why they would be. I think with the whole, bring game worlds together and what Ultimate represents about putting all these worlds together, Perhaps there was things that held these characters back from being Playable, or that other characters were more of a Priority over these characters, but Sakurai still wanted them to have a role in the game, hence the Mii Costumes

I Can especially believe Sora, Now Sakurai doesn't have to go through of potential hurdle of having to put in Disney Characters like Donald, Goofy, etc in order to best represent Sora, if Sora is just a Mii Costume. i mean yeah they could put in Sora without the Disney References as playable, but i don't know what Sakurai is thinking and perhaps he feels Sora as playable isn't right without the Disney references.

-Extra Costumes for the Smash cast has been a Popular idea i've seen, so it would be great to capitalize on that idea

-Waiting this long to Reveal Geno, while not the best idea, wouldn't be the first time they pulled something like this off (Isaac and Shadow can attest to that), and perhaps Geno got his mii costume upgraded in model

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I know this has no basis on the actual situation and isn’t how it will play out, but if they reveal Phoenix with an Objection!, they technically weren’t lying, as Phoenix would just be pointing out the contradiction in their statement.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I’m gonna make a ballsy and baseless prediction; they’re gonna start a second fighter ballot
I'd be down for that, actually. Quite a few characters that are big now weren't as big back then, so it could be interesting to see what changed. Plus some (including one of my most wanted) didn't even exist during the Ballot, so I'd take that as an opportunity for new characters, too.

That said, I do think Sakurai himself stated that they wouldn't do another Ballot, though the source eludes me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I know this has no basis on the actual situation and isn’t how it will play out, but if they reveal Phoenix with an Objection!, they technically weren’t lying, as Phoenix would just be pointing out the contradiction in their statement.
At the same time whenever we were told to lower our expectations, they never, NEVER ended up with character reveals. We won't get FP5 tomorrow and you'll have yourself to blame if you're convinced otherwise

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sakurai said he isn't planning on making another ballot. We know he sometimes goes back on his words but he literally said it this year.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah as much as I want it and as funny as it is that everything turned out the way it did, they're probably just making sure we know for good not to expect anything major. They know how rabid the Smash fanbase is and are just tempering our expectations. Smart move.

Between the possibility of meter, strikers, and cancelable inputs, as well as KOF stage cameos, spirits, music, and the Mii montage, I could definitely see this lasting around 45 minutes when you factor in Sakurai having fun and rambling. Personally I can't wait for a little SNK history lesson.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm kind of hoping that they will do an update on hazardless stages. I would like to see Arena Ferox use only the three platform layout instead of it being randomised and maybe Spiral Mountain using the layout for when the stage faces Grunty's lair.

D

Deleted member

Yeah as much as I want it and as funny as it is that everything turned out the way it did, they're probably just making sure we know for good not to expect anything major. They know how rabid the Smash fanbase is and are just tempering our expectations. Smart move.

Between the possibility of meter, strikers, and cancelable inputs, as well as KOF stage cameos, spirits, music, and the Mii montage, I could definitely see this lasting around 45 minutes when you factor in Sakurai having fun and rambling. Personally I can't wait for a little SNK history lesson.
This right here is a true mark of the Fam.

Let's just watch. Who knows who will be tje background characters. Just give me Kyo, Mai or Athena and I'll be happy.

SNK FAM RISE UP

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This right here is a true mark of the Fam.

Let's just watch. Who knows who will be tje background characters. Just give me Kyo, Mai or Athena and I'll be happy.

SNK FAM RISE UP
Hmm, okay, I think I've figured it out.

Terry's actual presentation is just 20 minutes long. They show off his moves, stage, the new online mode and Mii Costumes in that time.

Then Sakurai reveals that every SNK character in history is making an appearance in the stage in some way, whether near the fighters or in the stadium's bleachers. 15 more minutes are spent just showing them all off in quick succession, even the minor characters that appeared only in one game.

The video then ends with Sakurai saying "The people at SNK asked me which characters we'd like to appear in the background, to which I answered 'Yes'". After Sakurai says that, the last 10 minutes of the presentation are spent with the camera slowly zooming in on his face. For 10 minutes straight.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Terry's actual presentation is just 20 minutes long. They show off his moves, stage, the new online mode and Mii Costumes in that time.

Then Sakurai reveals that every SNK character in history is making an appearance in the stage in some way, whether near the fighters or in the stadium's bleachers. 15 more minutes are spent just showing them all off in quick succession, even the minor characters that appeared only in one game.

The video then ends with Sakurai saying "The people at SNK asked me which characters we'd like to appear in the background, to which I answered 'Yes'". After Sakurai says that, the last 10 minutes of the presentation are spent with the camera slowly zooming in on his face. For 10 minutes straight.
If anyone can get K9999 out of purgatory, Sakurai can.

D

Deleted member

How is it even possible to program that!

it's Sakurai.

Yeah. The Fam's gonna be sooooooo happy.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
At the same time whenever we were told to lower our expectations, they never, NEVER ended up with character reveals. We won't get FP5 tomorrow and you'll have yourself to blame if you're convinced otherwise
I don't think someone unironically believes we'll hear "Objection!" at any point of the preesentation.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
My money is on this being a giant history lesson on the Smash mechanics that were inspired by SNK games

D

Deleted member

My money is on this being a giant history lesson on the Smash mechanics that were inspired by SNK games
Spotdodging, tech rolls, ya name it.

I'm gonna care about Terry and no one else.

you sent the Geno thread another set of...

Damn it, please. I just want to be happy that we the Fam got repped. Better than nothing.

Anyway, speaking of the Geno thread, they think in advance a little too much. What if they got Grinched again?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Uh, dunno, man... even with all the time on VAs, history and stuff, Hero's video took only 20 minutes and that was also a game Sakurai loved. I really doubt we're going to go through the entire history of SNK, much less in the 25 "extra" minutes we have.

I actually think we might get an explanation on post Pass DLC. Like, no characters shown, just something on whether it's individual DLC or another Pass and how everything will work. Even then, I can't see that taking more than 10 minutes, at its worst.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I want him to randomly appear in the crowd, as a stage hazard, on the jumbotron, and to cameo right outside of the ring.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Granted, it didn't do much for the Smash game that was current last time they ran one, but I'd still prefer they didn't do it again.
Frankly, I'm not interested in seeing the game stick to the popular vote as it stands.

D

Deleted member

I'm guessing Sabi hasn't said anything yet. Probably for the best.
Most definitely.

I was wondering if I could go for a talk again. Need to get something of my mind that I wanna vent. I mean, I've made it oast the five stages of depression...so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom