• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've got a ridiculous theory for the Fighter Pass characters. Anyone want to hear it?
I mean you just read mine so, sure.

Well, if Sabi comes out and says that she's sure of a character being in Smash, I'm gonna bet on it.
For the record, she already did that with Hayabusa but backpedaled. It's definitely sus but we can't be sure if he's coming later since we now KNOW there's more down the line.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
After talking to some people I think Sabi... just slipped up. I'm still wary of her, I think she has a loose lip, her C&D is fishy without a doubt, from the outside looking in it looks like she's just playing with us, but I think she's sincere. She messed up and backpedaled but the reason why is because her new source is the best of the best apparently.

If anyone knows the character it's them and if they aren't giving out the name and just saying who it isn't, it probably puts Sabi in a weird place. Especially since Hayabusa's name has been flying around all of Fighter Pass Speculation. I'm willing to bet Hayabusa is a Hero situation and comes after Pack 5.
*Admits the SNK character is Terry on her public alt account*

"Hey guys, guess who the SNK character is! I'm not telling!~" *For 36 hours straight*

Yeah that's a no from me, chief.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
After talking to some people I think Sabi... just slipped up. I'm still wary of her, I think she has a loose lip, her C&D is fishy without a doubt, from the outside looking in it looks like she's just playing with us, but I think she's sincere. She messed up and backpedaled but the reason why is because her new source is the best of the best apparently.

If anyone knows the character it's them and if they aren't giving out the name and just saying who it isn't, it probably puts Sabi in a weird place. Especially since Hayabusa's name has been flying around all of Fighter Pass Speculation.
Sabi speculates just like all of us.
We cannot take every statement as gospel, especially random Discord quotes.
But if she says that she is certain or near certain of something, I place my trust in her.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
*Admits the SNK character is Terry on her public alt account*

"Hey guys, guess who the SNK character is! I'm not telling!~" *For 36 hours straight*

Yeah that's a no from me, chief.
Listen dude, if anyone's suspect of Sabi it's me. You can tell from my last 10 or so posts that I don't like her situation. It seems way too convenient. So, why would I do a complete 180 without a reason?

I'm just saying that maybe, just MAYBE she isn't doing this on purpose. I talked to someone who knows her and it seems like she's not sending us on a wild goose chase intentionally, she just jumped the gun with Hayabusa. We'll see but... I painted her as a villain for a second there but now that I've heard the ends and outs, I'm starting to think that maybe the whole thing isn't so ridiculous.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Heh, I was today years old when I heard of you being a #Morrigan4Smash supporter. I mean, there's one on Twitter I follow. And also, I've been supporting her ever since I got into Smash.
Well, I've always been the biggest proponent of Darkstalkers..its my favorite of all of Capcom's series (even if I suck at the games..and most fighters)..and I led many, many Darkstalkers centric events when I was a moderator for Capcom on Capcom-Unity, everything from Tournaments for Darkstalkers Resurrection (both Night Warriors and Darkstalkers 3) as well as a 'Create-a-Darkstalker' art contest to help build hype and have a good time.
I truly don't believe Morrigan has a chance to appear in Super Smash Bros due to her design (unless Capcom lets Nintendo/Sakurai tone it down a little), but I would adore her (and perhaps even Lilith as an alternate costume or even Echo Fighter) getting into Smash.
Since it was being talked about, I went and just finished this image.
SmashTemplateMorriLili.png
(Click to Enlarge)
I didn't notice it before, but I put the music in a pattern by accident lol.
Well, since the video TvTropes provided with the english dub is dead, I had to look up for another one and got this one in Japanese (comments on Morrigan's protagonism start at 32:49):
Also, add on to everything, I recall Ryota Niitsuma mentioning once that Demitri couldn't be in MvC because of all the resources that Capcom would have spend on Midnight Bliss models, so he's probably not going to be in another game for a long time.
Thanks for finding it for me~
Yeah, he did..but I honestly had, what I felt, was an easy fix for that..all they'd have to do is create 3 character models (mature/sexy, average, and petite/young) and just swap the colours and costumes to match the character. I mean, some of the weirder ones like Morrigan & Anakaris would need to change..but still, it could work. If they wanted to go through the trouble, they could also make a fourth character model, muscular, for characters like Victor. Some, like Lilith, could also just keep their normal character model due to a very slight model change.
Mature/Sexy - B.B. Hood, Felicia, Donovan, Jedah, Demitri (SVC Chaos style), Victor (new, base on Bride of Frankenstein)
Average - Anakaris (CFE* Rare), Jon Talbain, Lord Raptor, Pyron, Q-Bee, Rikuo, Bishamon, Dee, Demitri (Darkstalkers style)
Petite/Young - Hsien-Ko/Mei-Ling, Huitzel, Sasquatch, Demitri (CFE), Morrigan (new, base on old..but with her looking humiliated)
Muscular - Victor, Morrigan (new, base on original concept art w/ current colours, angry)
Keep Normal Model: Lilith (just add Pajamas & Pillows)
*CFE: Capcom Fighting Evolution

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Listen dude, if anyone's suspect of Sabi it's me. You can tell from my last 10 or so posts that I don't like her situation. It seems way too convenient. So, why would I do a complete 180 without a reason?

I'm just saying that maybe, just MAYBE she isn't doing this on purpose. I talked to someone who knows her and it seems like she's not sending us on a wild goose chase intentionally, she just jumped the gun with Hayabusa. We'll see but... I painted her as a villain for a second there but now that I've heard the ends and outs, I'm starting to think that maybe the whole thing isn't so ridiculous.
That doesn't excuse how she acted with Terry though.

She flat out admitted that it was Terry but then acted like a dumbass on her main for no discernible reason.

You don't tell someone classified info and THEN tell them that you have a secret, that's ass backwards.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

To be fair, I think Hayabusa, Crash, and Geno are 100% in. Again, to quote PapaGenos, the order of release doesn't seem to be well known even on the inside.
Sabi was probably following the money on Hayabusa and Crash just like the rest of us, but she probably just now got a confirmation of who exactly is fighter 5, which is why she backpedaled and is acting so coy.

D

Deleted member

Well, I've always been the biggest proponent of Darkstalkers..its my favorite of all of Capcom's series (even if I suck at the games..and most fighters)..and I led many, many Darkstalkers centric events when I was a moderator for Capcom on Capcom-Unity, everything from Tournaments for Darkstalkers Resurrection (both Night Warriors and Darkstalkers 3) as well as a 'Create-a-Darkstalker' art contest to help build hype and have a good time.
I truly don't believe Morrigan has a chance to appear in Super Smash Bros due to her design (unless Capcom lets Nintendo/Sakurai tone it down a little), but I would adore her (and perhaps even Lilith as an alternate costume or even Echo Fighter) getting into Smash.
Since it was being talked about, I went and just finished this image.
View attachment 243196
(Click to Enlarge)

Thanks for finding it for me~
Yeah, he did..but I honestly had, what I felt, was an easy fix for that..all they'd have to do is create 3 character models (mature/sexy, average, and petite/young) and just swap the colours and costumes to match the character. I mean, some of the weirder ones like Morrigan & Anakaris would need to change..but still, it could work. If they wanted to go through the trouble, they could also make a fourth character model, muscular, for characters like Victor. Some, like Lilith, could also just keep their normal character model due to a very slight model change.
Mature/Sexy - Anakaris, B.B. Hood, Felicia, Donovan, Jedah, Demitri (SVC Chaos style), Victor (new, base on Bride of Frankenstein)
Average - Jon Talbain, Lord Raptor, Pyron, Q-Bee, Rikuo, Bishamon, Dee, Demitri (Darkstalkers style)
Petite/Young - Hsien-Ko/Mei-Ling, Huitzel, Sasquatch, Morrigan (new, base on old..but with her looking humiliated)
Muscular - Victor, Morrigan (new, base on original concept art w/ current colours, angry)
Keep Normal Model: Lilith (just add Pajamas & Pillows)
Love this dose of information.

Y'know, we should definitely be friends.

Zeox

Smash Champion
* Very popular Japanese franchise
* Creator still active and working on games
* Most cosplayed character of all time
* Adds more female and villain representation
* She's also a pretty fun character and Sakurai could get creative with her moveset

D

Deleted member

* She's also a pretty fun character and Sakurai could get creative with her moveset
Let's add a character that's third party and isn't the main protagonist!

Sysreq

Smash Ace
That doesn't excuse how she acted with Terry though.

She flat out admitted that it was Terry but then acted like a ******* on her main for no discernible reason.

You don't tell someone classified info and THEN tell them that you have a secret, that's *** backwards.
Like 6 or so hours ago Sabi actually made a post here. https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-ha-ha-geno-1-in-multi-discord-poll.446378/page-1542#post-23610967

Apparently that alt account isn't an alt account.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
She'd be the second Smash character to canonically drop the f-bomb.

Shroob

Sup?
Like 7 or so hours ago Sabi actually made a post here. https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-ha-ha-geno-1-in-multi-discord-poll.446378/page-1542#post-23610967

Apparently that alt account isn't an alt account.
Not to sound all conspiracy theory and all but that proves literally nothing.

Said account constantly praises her and not much else while going "I'm totally not Sabi. ;)"

I could make an alt account and say "I'm not him" just as easily.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Love this dose of information.

Y'know, we should definitely be friends.
Sure thing, fine with me. Always love to meet fellow Darkstalkers/Morrigan fans.

Let me give you another dose, a fun fact, before Morrigan, succubi were by and large unknown in Japan and they only became prevalent after her introduction in Darkstalkers. This is why almost every single depiction of a succubus in Japanese media from video games, to manga, to anime, to more..questionable things has some element to it that shares Morrigan's basic design, particularly the bat-like elements, such as her wings or wearing a leotard, both of which are common elements for Japanese produced succubi.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Not to sound all conspiracy theory and all but that proves literally nothing.

Said account constantly praises her and not much else while going "I'm totally not Sabi. ;)"

I could make an alt account and say "I'm not him" just as easily.
I mean, hey, that's fine. I'm not gonna defend Sabi--I honestly don't have attachment to leakers--I just thought I'd bring up the post as her side of the story.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
A Danganronpa rep would be ****in' awesome.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Let's add a character that's third party and isn't the main protagonist!
Main protagonists are 80% of the time the most boring characters, and a whole DLC pack of just good boys, in my eyes, it doesn't seem to contain too much variety.
I think it needs more bad! I think it needs more girl! I would like to see her in my smash game!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Main protagonists are 80% of the time the most boring characters, and a whole DLC pack of just good boys, in my eyes, it doesn't seem to contain too much variety.
I think it needs more bad! I think it needs more girl! I would like to see her in my smash game!
Joker is not a good boy, though:
1571818759397.png

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
On the bright side of all of this indecision, I think we'll know the truth by this time next week. I think the first Direct will be early in November so a max of two weeks is all we got left I feel.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace

If anyone knows the character it's them and if they aren't giving out the name and just saying who it isn't, it probably puts Sabi in a weird place. Especially since Hayabusa's name has been flying around all of Fighter Pass Speculation. I'm willing to bet Hayabusa is a Hero situation and comes after Pack 5.
I think the thing that's irking me at this point is a lot of "leakers" don't do due diligence. They don't cultivate a group of people to verify or disconfirm things. We just get a load of things that are completely at odds with each other. The fact that Sabi has been so active this week, but each new piece of information muddies the previous piece makes it all suspect.

It'd be better if they kept to themselves until they were confident rather than saying everything they hear through the grapevine.

Love him or hate him, vergeben only comes out when he's at near 100% certainty, and only has Minecraft as a red mark against him.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'm bored, so I'm gonna make a list of 10 Danganronpa songs that I would like to see on Smash, all in a spoiler so my comment doesn't annoy anyone:
1. First, the main theme of the franchise, for OBVIOUS reasons:

2. My favorite from Danganronpa 2 and I think the best one that would fit for a fight:

3. Actual boss music, and because the spin off game deserves some love too:

4. Music from the final Class Trial of the first game:

5. One of the spookiest songs from v3:

6. Monokuma's theme, of course:

7. Also, this classic:

8. I like this silly music too much:

9. Music of the "unknow corpse":

10. And in honor to the Beta Danganronpa game that was called Distrust... Distrust!:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
On the bright side of all of this indecision, I think we'll know the truth by this time next week. I think the first Direct will be early in November so a max of two weeks is all we got left I feel.
Then your math might be a bit off. November 1st is next Friday, and I doubt that they'll have anything then. Now, the week after next week, though. . .

D

Deleted member

I think it needs more girl! I would like to see her in my smash game!
That's the point of my whole discussion/depression debacle!

When I'm a staunch believer of birthday luck and no leaks come on my birthday, only time will tell perhaps.

I think the thing that's irking me at this point is a lot of "leakers" don't do due diligence. They don't cultivate a group of people to verify or disconfirm things. We just get a load of things that are completely at odds with each other. The fact that Sabi has been so active this week, but each new piece of information muddies the previous piece makes it all suspect.

It'd be better if they kept to themselves until they were confident rather than saying everything they hear through the grapevine.

Love him or hate him, vergeben only comes out when he's at near 100% certainty, and only has Minecraft as a red mark against him.
They're secretly just wanting to make this thread board active and they also want to get me to boycott the pass.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Gotta say, the current situation is way too difficult to take seriously. The current speculation is based on people who are jut spouting random rumors and let's be honest, this situation is pretty much a circus. We have twitter clowns, youtube clowns, fb clowns, discord clowns heck the only one that makes sense right now is the resident from Gamefaqs for god's sake. Agree that the sources are probably better than laxchris and similar, but even then its like saying failing the term with a 4 is better than failing it with a 3.

I'm going to do like a few people and skip on the speculation until November, like I can guarantee you tomorrow we will have a sudden frontrunner which is going to be disconfirmed later and so on and so on.
This honestly. It has hurt speculation a lot, which used to be very fun otherwise. Then again I suppose it's also because of the current leak culture in gaming, and the fact it's likely we might get 3rd party DLC characters only, safe for maybe Byleth. And no I don't think Edelgard will get in before Byleth, that's nonsense.

D

Deleted member

This honestly. It has hurt speculation a lot, which used to be very fun otherwise. Then again I suppose it's also because of the current leak culture in gaming, and the fact it's likely we might get 3rd party DLC characters only, safe for maybe Byleth. And no I don't think Edelgard will get in before Byleth, that's nonsense.
Leak culture sucks to be honest. It's a system I gravely dislike and it takes away from thrill of the game. Back when SFV's latest release came out, a lot of people, especially Ono, we're disheartened when it leaked, as it was supposed to be a surprise. And here at Smash, we're like: "Oh, we suffer this everyday".

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, I cannot see the argument for Agumon, especially over KOS-MOS. KOS-MOS is Namco's crossover queen and I have no idea why they'd choose a character known primarily for toys and anime over her.
I think Agumon and Digimon have some fair ground to make them a prime candidate for Smash. The two biggest points is the obvious Pokemon v Digimon rivalry that originated in the 90s (mostly between the anime shows but they did have some crossover in video games and card games) and Digimon would represent Virtual Pet games (similar to how Pac-Man represents arcade cabinets and G&W represents early LCD handhelds). Digimon is still quite a successful series in video game, outside of a few flukes that popped up in the 2000's and with the direction that GameFreak is taking the next generation of Pokemon, we might see Digimon actually catch up in popularity again (Cyber Sleuth is a great game that shows the series has potential in the RPG market).

While it seems KOS-MOS is pretty popular around here, my personal bias amongst my gaming group has actually never heard of her (even with my brother being a pretty big weeb :p) and I didn't know she existed until I joined this forums and saw her Newcomer thread. That is completely subjective though and perhaps she is more well known to the gaming community at large. TBH though, I feel like if Bandai Namco is going to get another character in it should be a rep for the Tales Of series seeing as that is the only JRPG missing a rep out of the Big 3 and Tales Of legacy is quite large. I know Lloyd and Yuri have the highest chances due to popularity and Sakurai choosing Lloyd for the Mii costume last game but I'm still rooting for my girl Velvet to be the Tales Of rep since she would have a more unique kit with her demon arm compared to sword wielders and would be a great female character to add IMO.

D

Deleted member

I think Agumon and Digimon have some fair ground to make them a prime candidate for Smash. The two biggest points is the obvious Pokemon v Digimon rivalry that originated in the 90s (mostly between the anime shows but they did have some crossover in video games and card games) and Digimon would represent Virtual Pet games (similar to how Pac-Man represents arcade cabinets and G&W represents early LCD handhelds). Digimon is still quite a successful series in video game, outside of a few flukes that popped up in the 2000's and with the direction that GameFreak is taking the next generation of Pokemon, we might see Digimon actually catch up in popularity again (Cyber Sleuth is a great game that shows the series has potential in the RPG market).
Yeah, I mean, Smash gave us the old console wars (:ultmario: v :ultsonic:), and then the old 2D FGC rivalry (:ultryu: vs Terry), so why not make the Mon rivalry a reality? I've heard nothing but good things about Digimon's latest content, so it's a safe bet that it's worth waiting for.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok now I see why peiole are talking about KOSMOS. Anyone able to find the original 4chan post cause if it called Buddy as a codename then that's impressive, though it didn't call Terry iirc

EDIT: Whoops the KOSMOS stuff was later and idk enough about tripcodes or whatever to verify if it's the same person

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still kind of think Monster Hunter should make it in. Just seems logical.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The post that talked about KOSMOS isn't the same as the post that talked about the buddy code name. It might be the original poster but this time they're lying and posting fake information, or it could be an impersonator who used the same image to make a fake leak and push their own characters into the spotlight.

I think it might be the latter case. Look at the date of the KOSMOS post, September 12, which was after Banjo got released and people discovered his code name. After the code name information was made public, someone probably searched for a post that talked about the buddy code name and stumbled upon the drunken cat post. After seeing the post they decided to save the image and make their own fake leak. Just a thought to consider.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I still kind of think Monster Hunter should make it in. Just seems logical.
I've got nothing against the idea as Monster Hunter in MVCI was dope but I wonder what Sakurai would do as MonHun has SO much **** to work with and I feel he may not be able to narrow it down. Though if he does manage to make MonHun work then we're in for a great time even if I can't play the games

D

Deleted member

The post that talked about KOSMOS isn't the same as the post that talked about the buddy code name. It might be the original poster but this time they're lying and posting fake information, or it could be an impersonator who used the same image to make a fake leak and push their own characters into the spotlight.
It did say anonymous, though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've got nothing against the idea as Monster Hunter in MVCI was dope but I wonder what Sakurai would do as MonHun has SO much **** to work with and I feel he may not be able to narrow it down. Though if he does manage to make MonHun work then we're in for a great time even if I can't play the games
Yeah the games are very technical but am quite sure they are able to make a move set fit for Smash. Traps and stuff as Specials and Smash attacks as Great Blade attacks while normals are other weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom