• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
theres a difference between saying a character should be in the game and saying a fighting game character would have a fairly easy transition in to smash

i feel like you always create arguments rather than discuss the topic at hand
Not quite my point, you see lots of cases like idk, "Oh the moveset is so easy to make!" For whatever platformer character. Fighting game characters are also adapted differently so while the core moveset is there, seeing what's done with it is cool either way as stuff is still done rather differently, especially compared to deeper games with more complex mechanics

Is this not a topic? A spark for discussion should be fine, especially as we're both being civil

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Where's my Light Heal, Monado Purge, Monado Cyclone and five meter laser blade? Shulk just isn't complete without those.
you know we out here using battle soul to fill up our FS Meter

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I disagree.

Cloud, Shulk, Joker, and Hero are all from JRPGs, yet their moves were all translated very differently in to Smash. Mario, DK, Diddy, Kirby, Yoshi, Banjo, etc: all characters from platformers that play differently because their unique platforming movements, not created for a fighting game, were all translated into a fighter.

Since Ryu, Ken, and Terry originate in fighting games, and since we already got 2 of those guys in the game, i think its safe to assume that a fighting game character's transition in to Smash is easy. Do you think Terry's moveset to be substantially different than what he's had in every fighting game?
You say this like all 2D fighting games have the same mechanics.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
If we look at the pass so far, we got an RPG guy (Joker), a super classic jrpg guy (hero), a platformer (guh huh), and a fighter (RUOK?).

Do you think Fighter 5 will be from a diff genre of game? A shooter? A puzzle game? A lawyer simulation?

You say this like all 2D fighting games have the same mechanics.
No. What I'm saying is that its an easier transition to take someone from a 2D fighter and put them in to a diff 2D fighter, than to take someone like Duck Hunt and add them in to a 2d fighter

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Inb4 The Lighthouse is actually a hint to the next character and none of us noticed.

(Why yes we are going insane)
I hope it's the mermaid. Finally get our female fighter. Although, she is more sexualised than Bayonetta...

(also Lighthouse? Good Movie)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If we look at the pass so far, we got an RPG guy (Joker), a super classic jrpg guy (hero), a platformer (guh huh), and a fighter (RUOK?).

Do you think Fighter 5 will be from a diff genre of game? A shooter? A puzzle game? A lawyer simulation?
i dont think it really matters what it is, and there's no way you can accurately predict it without blind luck

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aussie Banjo (Crash Bandicoot)
British Duck Hunt (:ultbanjokazooie:)
Elderly Ryu (Heihachi)
Green Samus (Master Chief)
Sword Sheik (Ryu Hayabusa)
Trucker Ken (Terry Bogard)

SKX31

Smash Master
Wild cards would be

2B
Agumon
Amaterasu (I can keep hoping)
Chosen Undead
Dovahkiin
KOS-MOS
Yoshimitsu
Yuri Lowell/Velvet Crowe

Just to name a few. Anyone other potential wild cards?
Anything from Valve, if any possible Half Life Tactics talks resulted in something.
Likewise, anything left from SEGA's stable. Arle, Kiryu, depending on how she's viewed even down to Hatsune.
I'd also consider any indies as wild cards because there are no playable characters from that sphere just yet. Even Reimu.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Gimme some chorus kids too. A mix of Game and Watch and Ice Cimbers? bruh that sounds stupid af.

ILL TAKE YOUR ENTIRE STOCK

Last edited:
I mean tbf Shulk fights nothing like he does in Smash.

At the same time Marth uses stuff that isn't from his own games, Dolphin Slash is based off of Thracia 776's Myrmidon crit animation and Dancing Blade is based off of Astra. Also isn't the Omega Yato proof of the contrary of your claim?
Yeah, my argument is pretty weak. It's coming from a more emotional place, tbh. I really don't want another FE character to have the same tilts and smash attacks we've seen multiple times. Edelgard could be really unique, but I get this feeling in my gut that she'll be another character with Ike's smash attacks and tilts/aerials borrowed and slightly modified from other FE characters. Even Robin and Corrin borrow a lot. I do believe that Edelgard's specials would be different, though. I hope that she gets in and that I'm wrong. And I probably would be, but the possibility is there, and that's what scares me.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Who do you guys want as your most wanted? No rules. No BS. Your desires.
1-Bomberman
2-Bub & Bob
3-Earthworm Jim
4-Nakoruru
5-Metal Slug Regular Army
6-Shao Kahn
7-Klaymen (Neverhood)
8-Ashley (Warioware)
9-Bad Mr Frosty (Clayfighter)
10-Battletoads

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I posted this in another thread but I might as well post it here:

10. Shantae (Shantae)
9. Andy (Advance Wars)
8. Bomberman (Bomberman)
7. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
6. Waluigi (Mario)
5. Rex (Xenoblade 2)
4. Ashley (WarioWare)
3. Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
2. Quote (Cave Story)
1. Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)

Honorable mentions:
  • Dixie Kong
  • Celica
  • Byleth or Dimitri (haven't played GD yet so I'm not as attached to Claude yet)
  • Lyn

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sorry for the late reply. I'll give you the weapon thing. I also forgot that Robin can't use any of his stuff in smash if he doesn't level up his weapon ranks and also can't use nosferatu at all. Chrom (as people have said) does start with his falchion as we see it in Smash, though.

My main point is that we've never seen a Smash character use abilities restricted to their promoted classes. Ike doesn't use axes. Chrom and Lucina don't use lances (they're echoes, so I know they don't 100% count). Corrin doesn't use magic. I don't think we should expect Edelgard to do heavy armor stuff or to have a shield. Moveset-wise, those seem like the most interesting things she would bring, but maybe Aymr could make up for that.

Edit: Unless the reason for the class promotion limitations is that players in FE have the option to not promote, in which case we could see post-timeskip Edelgard abilities, but we don't really know. I'm just skeptical.
For what it's worth, I agree she wouldn't get the shield. I do think she'd have her Armored Lord look as a costume set though, just without the shield. Like in her official art and in cutscenes.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I actually think Edelgard, should she get in, would be likely to get in as her post-timeskip design, complete with shield. It's a lot more interesting of a design, and making her an ultra-heavyweight with a shield would go a long way towards differentiating her from the rest of the FE characters.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Rhythm Heaven Rep
Minecraft Steve
Elma
Min Min
Byleth
Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons Farmer
Ryu Hayabusa
Segata Sanshiro
Phoenix Wright
Crash Bandicoot
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Edelgard
Arle Nadja
Master Chief
Shovel Knight

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno
Isaac
Rex/Pyra
Mach Rider
Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven rep
Segata Sanshiro
Dr. Eggman
Duster
Dixie Kong
Phoenix Wright
Bandanna Dee
Ryu Hayabusa
Arle Nadja
Fire Emblem: Three Houses rep

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
In no particular order, my top ten:
-Marina Liteyears
-2B
-Phoenix Wright
-Heihachi Mishima
-Style Savvy
-Sol Badguy
-Elma
-Travis Touchdown
-Arle Nadja
-Scrooge McDuck

You said no rules so the last one gets it. But if people insist on game characters only, replace Scrooge with Velvet Crowe.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
You know I just really want Rayman and I wouldn't complain anymore. Being a Rayman supporter is painful. So many clues that lead to nothing, three trophies in 4 demoted to a single Spirit, with even the Rabbids getting more representation in that department. And the worst part is that there is still a single thread of hope to me, yet most people don't even acknowledge the boy. Hell I've seen more mention of Ezio than Rayman in this thread which kind of depresses me. I hate how poorly treated my favorite childhood mascot is.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Nathan Drake
Phoenix Wright
Hollow Knight/Hornet
Crash
Spyro
Edelgard
Cranky Kong
Lara Croft
Maxwell
Unsafe WiiMote Guy

There's probably more Im not thinking of but for now this is my list

Status