• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Star Ocean. Granblue Fantasy. Project X Zones 1 and 2. Not a bad resume for cameos, but something is missing... perhaps Smash?

Yadda yadda mostly popular in the East. Yadda yadda mostly popular in the West.

How about a glorious compromise?

I see your Samurai Cowgirl and raise you a Gun Nun.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a fun game, so every Ultimate stage has special cameos in it, so pick 5 characters that would cameo in the stage of your most wanted, like for example
In a LBP stage, I would want the Garden King, Negetivitron, Toggle, Oddsock, and Swoop to cameo in it
Lux from League of Legends. Summoner’s Rift with Garen, Ezreal, Teemo, Ashe, and Darius in the battlefield. Each of them interrupt the battle with abilities. Teemo plants shrooms that explode when stepped on. Ashe launches anarrow that stuns whoever it hits. Etc, etc

D

Deleted member

More like people have been admitting for ages that DQ was aimed at Japanese fans and Banjo at western fans for ages. DQ has never been a bestseller in the west. Persona 5 at least had universal acclaim making it a good reveal to start on. The fact every other reveal hasn’t been standalone is admission from Nintendo themselves that not all fans may care about the next immediate character to come out.
Yeah, not a single fighting game series has ever done shared reveals in the history of gaming. Not at all.

Oh wait, most fighting games actually reveal their DLC characters at the same time

D

Deleted member

Oh wait, most fighting games actually reveal their DLC characters at the same time
Nintendo doing their best to make everything seem like a surprise reveal yet everyone keeps leaking them for reasons God knows what. Shameful community we live in, eh?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Yeah, not a single fighting game series has ever done shared reveals in the history of gaming. Not at all.

I'd love if Nintendo could do that for the post-Pass fighters.

I know there's some value in keeping them hidden because of hype publicity, but telling people the full content from the beginning is just a lot more sincere and you don't wind up with complaints about buying the DLC blindly.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think you mean Only Fighting game by Netherealms

Snk didn't.
Capcom didn't for the whole SFV life until the release of Arcade Edition and the last part of Season 4.
Ark Sys doesn't at all either.

So, bad exemple here bro.

D

Deleted member

I know there's some value in keeping them hidden because of hype publicity, but telling people the full content from the beginning is just a lot more sincere and you don't wind up with complaints about buying the DLC blindly.
I mean, Smash has its own ways of doing DLC. IT seems they prefer people getting hype and excited about stuff, so much that the community thrives on gossip and fake news. Grinch leak was one of those.

Other fighting games' DLC, imo, is revealed much, much better. Had this system be used in Smash, we wouldn't have that much to talk about in speculation.

D

Deleted member

Snk didn't.
Capcom didn't for the whole SFV life until the release of Arcade Edition and the last part of Season 4.

Namco did it too with DBFZ.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo understands the power of a Smash reveal. I mean they all but bookended their E3 with DLC to a game that released the year before. That's how powerful it is. So it'd be nice for them to just show the whole pass at once, but it'd also be nice to be handed free ice cream as you walk down the street.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
They didn't.
Seasons 1 Of DBFZ was complete Mystery, but datamining ****ed everything up.
Seasons 2 Of DBFZ only had the reveal of Jiren and Videl first....And as the promotion of the Broly movie that was out that week, they already said that Gogeta and Broly from the movie would be in the pack, with 0 visual.

Kid Goku and Janemba weren't revealed at all, they got :
1) Datamined
2) Xbox leaked them

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Snk didn't.

Actually, not even NRS does that consistently. In Injustice 2 for instance, they had an edition with nine DLC characters, but the characters themselves were revealed in groups of three (probably because they were also part of standalone packs) and one of them (Atom) wasn't even announced along the other two guys in his pack.

But it's clear that the idea of keeping characters in secret has been slowly changing, since Ark Sys revealed a good bunch of Cross Tag's season 2 fighters in one announcement and the same can be said about Super Broly and SSGSS Gogeta in FighterZ. I think it's just a case of consumers not wanting to invest money into DLC with little info anymore.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
They literally didn't.

All of Season 1 was datamined and took almost a year to reveal all of season 1. Season two launched with Jiren and Videl getting released and Gogeta and Super Broly being announced and 2 unannounced characters. It took about 7 months for the other two to be revealed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My main point is that Hero and Banjo being both revealed at E3 doesn’t have to do with fear about backlash towards a single reveal at all.

The reason we got two reveals is likely the fact Nintendo tends to drop important bombs for that event, and two reveals would easily fit as an E3 tier announcement.

Smash has also featured multiple reveals at once at many E3 events: Mii fighters, Palutena and Pac-Man back in Smash 4; Megaman, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer; Everyone is Here, Daisy and Ridley; and this year it was Hero and Banjo.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
But it's clear that the idea of keeping characters in secret has been slowly changing, since Ark Sys revealed a good bunch of Cross Tag's season 2 fighters in one announcement and the same can be said about Super Broly and SSGSS Gogeta in FighterZ. I think it's just a case of consumers not wanting to invest money into DLC with little info anymore.
Eh, THis isn't really a season 2. It's a soft relaunch with new characters. Season 2 hasn't actually been announced yet.

D

Deleted member

Considering that these days, everyone wants to know everything. Out of all the EVO reveals I have seen, all of them just straight up revealed a huge chunk of their DLC. Smash's thinking is probably due to the sheer hype levels the game has.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Why are you bringing up Fighting games in relation to Smash tho :??::??::??:

Besides, Nintendo have always done their season pass reveals a little at a time. BotW, Three Houses and XB2 all had day 1 passes that barely explained what players were getting. What other companies do is irrelevant.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
While there are some that didn't reveal their DLC characters, some did use hints.

Like SFV season 1 using silouettes for the six characters and SE describing the DLC characters with "male or female character from an installment from the 1st or 2nd half of the Final Fantasy mainline games."

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I just realized that the number of stages and fighters for both the DK and Metroid series is equal.

DK stages: Kongo Jungle 64, Kongo Falls, Jungle Hijinxs Melee (3)
DK Fighters: K.Roo, DK, Diddy (3)

Metroid stages: Brinstar, Brinstar Depths, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon (4)
Metroid fighters: Ridley, Samus, Dark Samus, Zero Suit Samus (4)

Nothing huge or anything like that, just a silly coincidence I just noticed.
Dixie DESERVES to be in Smash

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd miss Hanenbow.

You might have noticed that I like all the stages people ****ing hate.
I liked Hanenbow more than most, but the stage is awful in this game. Brawl's version had some sense of rhythm, but in Ultimate it's just a cacophony.

Man, I'd love to see Sakurai give a spot to this guy...
I wouldn't object to Nash. He seems like an interesting character, though he'd have to wait in line after Chun-Li, Akuma, Guile, Zangeif, and probably Dhalsim, Blanka, and Alex.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I just realized that the number of stages and fighters for both the DK and Metroid series is equal.
Nothing huge or anything like that, just a silly coincidence I just noticed.
They got the same amount of stages per game so losing a Metroid stage from 64/WiiU and a DK stage from Brawl/Wii U makes them equal. Particularly annoying how neither have a stage newer than Brawl as a result. I get the gimmicks wouldn’t have translated over but couldn’t they have just scrapped the gimmick and not the whole stage? Keep Pyrosphere as a good 8-man stage and stick to one section of Jungle Japes Returns. It’s not like they haven’t cut parts of stages before like 1-2 being gone from Mushroomy Kingdom.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, I'd love to see Sakurai give a spot to this guy...
Yeah, when not even Capcom is giving a spot to this guy in SF6, I don't see it happening, lol.

Nash was done diiiiiirty.
They got the same amount of stages per game so losing a Metroid stage from 64/WiiU and a DK stage from Brawl/Wii U makes them equal. Particularly annoying how neither have a stage newer than Brawl as a result. I get the gimmicks wouldn’t have translated over but couldn’t they have just scrapped the gimmick and not the whole stage? Keep Pyrosphere as a good 8-man stage and stick to one section of Jungle Japes Returns. It’s not like they haven’t cut parts of stages before like 1-2 being gone from Mushroomy Kingdom.
Yeah, just make the barrels fire directly up or down or something.
Feels weird that we wouldn't get the stage that is literally "The stage where you fight Ridley" especially considering it's a perfectly suitable stage for normal play and was easy as just removing the boss-Ridley.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wait those were official?! That’s awesome!!
The ones for Cloud and Ryu should still be up on their pages in the Smash 4 website.

Yeah, when not even Capcom is giving a spot to this guy in SF6, I don't see it happening, lol.
Wait what? I didn't even know they were making a SF6 yet. (His absence would make sense though considering he's dead.)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wait what? I didn't even know they were making a SF6 yet. (His absence would make sense though considering he's dead.)
Yeah, that was uh, the joke I was trying to say, lol.

Wait those were official?! That’s awesome!!
Yup, iirc, every single character got a commemorative art piece for S4. All except like... Bowser Jr.?
They made one with Inkling for Smash Ultimate which looks great, but seems like she's the only outlier, unfortunately.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, that was uh, the joke I was trying to say, lol.
Oh...

Yup, iirc, every single character got a commemorative art piece for S4. All except like... Bowser Jr.?
Found a list of them. Bowser Jr. actually does have one.

EDIT: The one I was the most excited for was incredibly boring. Why they gotta do Duck Hunt like that?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Now you see the thing is...

I don't think I want to see the Smash characters in ZUN's artstyle, lmao.

... or maybe I do just to see how weird everything would look.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Ok new game! If you could design a poster for any of the newcomers in smash ultimate(Baser roster or DLC) what would you do?
you can get as creative as you want, I’ll say my ideas later.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
One thing I would like for them to do is to enable select songs from other series outside the categories.

Like Pokemon and Street Fighter music on Boxing Ring, Mysterious Castle Marasume on Shinjaku Castle and Gangplank Galleon on Pirate Ship
Just specific songs on different stages sounds nice.
To be fair, everyone so far besides Banjo has a game coming soon (or already out for Hero). Even then, there’s been whispers of Rare Replay on Switch &/or a Banjo remake.

The choices so far have been shill picks, just good ones lmao

There’s always new Touhou games coming out. & with how close Nintendo/Toei are lately, I could see a new Ninja Gaiden coming to Switch; maybe it’d even be an exclusive.
The only one I could argue for being a shill pick is Hero, and even then that's only because Luminary is there. If we're including Sm4sh then Corrin is one too I guess. However, Piranha Plant didn't have anything big coming up for it at all. Also, Bayonetta, even if she were partially a shill pick, was also highly requested. Also, as seen here, Ryu and Terry were, in part, the reason why Sakurai made Smash anyways. And I don't see why they'd want to shill Joker for a spinoff game.
Just posting this just because of how hilarious it is in retrospect, but here's an anon's wishlist for DLC back in November of last year

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/438906861/#438944106

It doesn't have Joker, but the fact that it's got everyone else plus the RH duo is funny to me.
That one's a knee-slapper.
Nintendo understands the power of a Smash reveal. I mean they all but bookended their E3 with DLC to a game that released the year before. That's how powerful it is. So it'd be nice for them to just show the whole pass at once, but it'd also be nice to be handed free ice cream as you walk down the street.

I'm getting kinda sick of all the Smash reveals. If they didn't do it EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME (and just saving it for the big reveals such as Ridley), then that would be okay. However, all of the characters with a reveal trailer (except for Chrom, Dark Samus, and Tr4sh Sonic) have that bloody splash screen schtick.
You might have noticed that I like all the stages people ****ing hate.
I hate Final Destination too, bro.
Ok new game! If you could design a poster for any of the newcomers in smash ultimate(Baser roster or DLC) what would you do?
For Ken: Street Fighter II Turbo Character Select screen with different fighters representing each character from the game. (Incineroar for Zangief, Little Mac for Balrog, Pikachu for Blanka, etc.)
For Terry: Same thing but for KOF '95.
For Ridley: He's crammed into a box with the rest of the fighters and they feel kind of uncomfortable because he's taking up a lot of room and even Bowser and K. Rool are made uncomfortable by this.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm getting kinda sick of all the Smash reveals. If they didn't do it EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME (and just saving it for the big reveals such as Ridley), then that would be okay. However, all of the characters with a reveal trailer (except for Chrom, Dark Samus, and Tr4sh Sonic) have that bloody splash screen schtick.
I stayed quiet when people were on about Hanenbow not being a garbage land, but this is going too far.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just specific songs on different stages sounds nice.
This sounds like a good idea for the next game: The base track list for each stage is more limited like it was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds and Wii U, but you can add songs to each stage's track-list. You'd get more freedom without the literal days worth of music sorting to do.

It would also assure that stages like Summit have more than just a few tracks that actually fit on them.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
King K. Rool's easy, make it a Heroes vs. Villains-themed roster like the trailer was.
1571620122601.png

Ridley's would probably be a homage to Alien, with Samus and friends on the lookout for him, with Ridley hidden in the shadows, only letting his presence be know by a strand of drool landing on Samus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom