• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Don't pour salt in the wound. Had it been real we could've actually played as Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. ;_;
"He's the original fighting game clone. They're advertising clones as a feature. Ken is totally a lock guys!"

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Don't pour salt in the wound. Had it been real we could've actually played as Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. ;_;
i remember the sweet 20 seconds of hope between kens reveal, thinking that the grinch leak could just maybe be real, and The fire cat’s reveal.

D

Deleted member

I guess you could count Verg though. He didn't leak them all simultaneously, rather it was over the period of a couple months iirc, but prior to E3 2018, he was claiming Ridley, Simon, ICs, Snake and the entire 3DS/Wii U cast would return.

..I guess you're right though I can't believe people had the audacity to even claim that Ken was possible imagine thinking "original echo fighter = would fit for smash and is a lock" makes sense. We didn't get Ken and we still won't get Ken after all this time that's almost as bad as people saying Mario is in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
..I guess you're right though I can't believe people had the audacity to even claim that Ken was possible imagine thinking "original echo fighter = would fit for smash and is a lock" makes sense. We didn't get Ken and we still won't get Ken after all this time that's almost as bad as people saying Mario is in.
But, at least we get Hat Ken.

D

Deleted member

You guys are still talking about the Grinch leak? Let it die. We finally got Geno in Smash after all these years. No need to harp about fake **** like Erdrick.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
When are we going to get a cereal mascot with a sword so we can appease both sides? I'm sure there's some obscure sword-weilding anthropomorphic mascot that I don't know about, but I'm too lazy to check so if anyone wants to suggest the elusive furry swordfighter so we can reach a bipartisan agreement, go right ahead.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
When are we going to get a cereal mascot with a sword so we can appease both sides? I'm sure there's some obscure sword-weilding anthropomorphic mascot that I don't know about, but I'm too lazy to check so if anyone wants to suggest the elusive furry swordfighter so we can reach a bipartisan agreement, go right ahead.
We almost did.

D

Deleted member

Dragon Quest has a cat suit if that's what you're looking for.

D

Deleted member

You guys are still talking about the Grinch leak? Let it die. We finally got Geno in Smash after all these years. No need to harp about fake **** like Erdrick.
Yeah I guess you're right we finally have Geno in Smash so what more could I ask for? It's insane that we used to think Verge was credible even though he claimed Erdrick would get in.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm very hyped for Breath of the Wild 2 but for once I wish that the great bomb shell from Nintendo was something related to Metroid, and I'm not talking about Prime 4 because that game is for 2021 and that's if we're lucky. Or maybe some damn news about Bayonetta 3, haha.

Zelda had his moment the last E3 and at the Game Awards 2017. I think it would be positive for Nintendo to give other franchises opportunities to shine. I mean... they could reveal a BotW 2 trailer with a tweet and people would go crazy anyway.

I think we will see BotW 2 again in the next E3, not before.

About Smash, I still believe fighter 5 will be announced at the Game Awards.
  • 1) Iron Man (2008)
  • 2) The Incredible Hulk (2008)
  • 3) Iron Man 2 (2010)
  • 4) Thor (2011)
  • 5) Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
  • 6) The Avengers (2012)
  • 7) Iron Man 3 (2013)
  • 8) Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Iron Man 2 came out many years before we got Dr Strange.

D

Deleted member

Sparkster time?

D

Deleted member

Yeah I guess you're right we finally have Geno in Smash so what more could I ask for? It's insane that we used to think Verge was credible even though he claimed Erdrick would get in.
Speaking of, I think it's about time we deleted our accounts Shoto. It's been good talking with you but a bet is a bet. Goodbye y'all.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What do y'all think about the Witcher getting a character in smash from what I remember wasn't the witcher 3 an influence for breath of the wild along with many other western open world fantasy games
Geralt sucks. Like he's just edgy. He makes me laugh because of it but Witcher 3 isn't that great. I have personal quibbles with CDPR as a company and also feel that he's pretty low on the list and is technically a book character that isn't public domain so he may not count.

He is fun in Soulcalibur though so I'd probably just make the same jokes I do when playing him in there. Shadow the Hedgehog has nothing on Gerald Witcherman.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We don't yet.

See, about my "testing our intelligence" point, it was about trying to differentiate fake from real.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not that I think it was ever gonna happen but since it might spark some discussion. Riot just announced a League of Legends fighting game.
  • 1) Iron Man (2008)
  • 2) The Incredible Hulk (2008)
  • 3) Iron Man 2 (2010)
  • 4) Thor (2011)
  • 5) Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
  • 6) The Avengers (2012)
  • 7) Iron Man 3 (2013)
  • 8) Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Iron Man 2 came out many years before we got Dr Strange.
Huh?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Not that I think it was ever gonna happen but since it might spark some discussion. Riot just announced a League of Legends fighting game.

Huh?
Sometimes a sequel to one franchise is more needed than a niche series for the greater saga

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sometimes a sequel to one franchise is more needed than a niche series for the greater saga
And you feel like Marvel's narrative choices in building up their cinematic universe are a good indicator of Nintendo's business decisions about when to announce or market their games?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Y'all just salty that we have too many Fire Emblem reps that when we get a new, completely-different-playstyle swordie, y'all decry her/him as just another anime swordie. Smash 4 gave us Cloud, and there were some people who called him out as another anime swordsman. Now he's one of the banes of old Smash 4 doubles. Ultimate gave us Hero, which was by far the biggest "another Anime swordsman" whining I've ever seen, only for them to get gut-punched with his RNG playstyle.

See, this is why I want more swordies. Just watching the salt from their faces only to get bit back by an absurd playstyle literally they can't comprehend.
If you're gonna do that just to spite people then I hope Fighter #5 AND Pass #2 are sausage fests.

That aside, I do hate how flinging around "discount cereal mascot" is somehow okay yet "anime swordsman" is considered an immature slur that the esteemed and "mature" and "open minded" smashers think of themselves as beyond.

Every day I get sick reading this thread.

EDIT: Why are we talking about Iron Man now? xP Ironic that we talk about him in a Smash thread given he was mentioned by name when Sakurai announced that there'd be no "4th party" characters. xD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah we're just bull****ting. Read N3ON's and Shoto's posts.
You guys honestly got me there. I was still backreading this entire thread and you guys are already having too much fun. I mean, what if the last fighter wasn't Geno? What's the point of that bullsh*tting? Advance kayo mag-isip?

I wanted to touch on this when we were having civil discussions on it that my views on the dlc roster isn’t focused exactly onto “diversity”. That doesn’t mean that I don’t want females or other non-male characters I it don’t see the roster selection in that way. For the record, I play mostly females. I main both Zero Suit and Zelda, Chun-li and Cammy in SF, Nakoruru and Charlotte (And Cham-Cham) in SS, Mai, Athena and King in KoF/FF, Taki in SC, Noel in BB, Morrigan in DS/Cvs, and Hisako in KI. Scorpion is the only actual male character I typically main.

That being said, while I would love to see some females in the DLC lineup, it’s not a hill I am willing to die on. I have my Zero Suit and Zelda and I’m perfectly fine. My interests in the DLC lineup focuses more on gameplay diversity. Joker has a Cloud-like automatic charge feature, Hero has his ****-ton of spells, and Banjo is more of a barebones now gimmick fighter. I like this as it aids some diversity to the roster that appeals to certain play styles. With Terry, I see him being similar to Ryu in that he has both projectiles and physical attacks but much faster. I am excited to see how people who play more traditional fighters do with him. If there is a character that can bring something unique to the game, I am all for them regardless of who they are. Plus, I am a huge fan how Sakurai includes content from the series into Smash and there is a certain draw to me to see certain content included. This ranges from Scorion Kirby saying “Get over here!” to seeing a stage and spirits from “Ni no Kuni” to having the “Killer Instinct” theme in the game to the liters ****storm that would be Goku or Master Chief being included. To me, my interest in the DLC roster is gameplay diversity and content inclusion.

I think 2B would be an amazing addition due to her unique abilities found in NieR Automata and use of her Pod 042. Not only that, Amusement Park, Abandoned Factory, or Ruined City would make amazing stages. The game also has an amazingly beautiful soundtrack. One of the best. However, I wouldn’t be crushed if Hayabusa or Doomslayer is included over her unless they manage to make Hayabusa play exactly like Joker and Doomslayer exactly like...Banjo and Kazooie. And I would still buy them regardless.
Those are quite good points you have there.

While the diversity of gameplay is one worthy of discussion, gender is quite a big deal to me, since I want to use characters I can identify my gender with. And besides, this is just DLC. Optional content. I don't necessarily have to buy it (unless the have a severely unbalanced top tier that makes the game pay-to-win). And as much, I always vote with my wallet. If there are some people who don't like the lack of women in the DLC, they probably won't buy the pass anyway.

In short, No girls, no buy! is my motto for this last fighter.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
You guys honestly got me there. I was still backreading this entire thread and you guys are already having too much fun. I mean, what if the last fighter wasn't Geno? What's the point of that bullsh*tting? Advance kayo mag-isip?

Those are quite good points you have there.

While the diversity of gameplay is one worthy of discussion, gender is quite a big deal to me, since I want to use characters I can identify my gender with. And besides, this is just DLC. Optional content. I don't necessarily have to buy it (unless the have a severely unbalanced top tier that makes the game pay-to-win). And as much, I always vote with my wallet. If there are some people who don't like the lack of women in the DLC, they probably won't buy the pass anyway.

In short, No girls, no buy! is my motto for this last fighter.
Fighter #5 is somehow Fiona from Shrek. Buy or no buy?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And you feel like Marvel's narrative choices in building up their cinematic universe are a good indicator of Nintendo's business decisions about when to announce or market their games?
Iron Man 2 was the third movie in the series because the structure needed to prove it was economically viable. I promise you, if you think it was third because of a narrative plot, you are completely kidding yourself about how the industry works.

This is the same for Nintendo. Breath of the Wild 2 was put into production when the father of the Switch, BotW, hit unparalleled successes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you're gonna do that just to spite people then I hope Fighter #5 AND Pass #2 are sausage fests.
Are you testing my patience?

That discussion was meant for swordies, not female characters. Okay, I get it. It's karma. While I clearly want Fighter#5 to be a female, I have no intention spiting people. If it's a fighter everyone wanted, say, Shantae, 2B, or Arle, then I'd be happy at the very least. If it's my pick, then I'd have no choice but to sympathize with the fanbase and do all the damage control/defense.

Fighter #5 is somehow Fiona from Shrek. Buy or no buy?
*must...calm...down*

I get it, you are testing my patience.

IT's a mixed bag, though. If it was a 4th party female, then I'll just go with the flow. Better than nothing!

Sysreq

Smash Ace
This is the same for Nintendo. Breath of the Wild 2 was put into production when the father of the Switch, BotW, hit unparalleled successes.
I disagree. I'm not sure when "hit unparalleled successes" is, but according to this and several other articles https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/03/28/monolith-soft-hiring-staff-the-legend-of-zelda/ which were written around the end of March 2019, BotW2 was probably ramping up steam since Monolith was hiring staff specifically for it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I disagree. I'm not sure when "hit unparalleled successes" is, but according to this and several other articles https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/03/28/monolith-soft-hiring-staff-the-legend-of-zelda/ which were written around the end of March 2019, BotW2 was probably ramping up steam since Monolith was hiring staff specifically for it.
Unparalleled success:
Proving Nintendo capable after an entire system built of failure regarding sales and critical reception. Redefining a genre

And yes, pardon my litote, of the time it took for Nintendo to greenlight the sequel. The gaming industries sales work very differently from movies- but quite frankly, if you are pulling this piece from the tooth already pulled, youre a mile away from the body of my argument.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Iron Man 2 was the third movie in the series because the structure needed to prove it was economically viable. I promise you, if you think it was third because of a narrative plot, you are completely kidding yourself about how the industry works.

Nobody's talking about the greenlighting of games, only about when they are advertised. Someone said BotW2 didn't need TGA to promote itself, and it would be neat to see some other game be the headliner.

And you came back with some non-sequiturs about Doctor Strange.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom