• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If there’s more new IPs coming in extra DLC (which was basically confirmed anyway) I’m hoping they’ll come with music and stages as well.

While characters from existing IPs can come separately like :ultpiranha:, that’s how I see it.

D

Deleted member

We don't really talk about victory themes all that much, so let's talk about them.

Aside from FF and Persona 5, most of the victory themes in Ultimate range from 5 - 8 seconds, so for some of the franchises you want to see or think will be in Smash, what would be their victory themes?

For example, Dynasty Warriors has Victory Jubilee, Samurai Warriors has the Victory Theme, Ninja Gaiden has the Next Act sound effect, Soulcalibur could have the Victory theme from SC VI, and Deadly Premonition could have the closing bit of The Woods and the Goddess.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Random question: who are your guys least wanted characters?
honestly I don’t hate a lot of characters, as long as they have an accurate and fun moveset I’m fine, the not character I can think of that I don’t want is any song rep that’s not Sackboy lol
I don’t have a least wanted; at least, not in terms of hate, because I just feel disappointment if my favorites don’t get in and otherwise I don’t care who gets into my big boy Smashing Fighters game. I don’t think there’s any character I would want kept out of the game, as it feels very selfish and dumb, especially when that opinion is being stressed or told as fact and shoved down someone else’s throat as if their favorite character is oh-so terrible and would ruin the entire game for the other person and even their life.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
For me he's in the same camp as Meta Knight, Greninja, and Bowser Jr. in terms of not being fun to use because their attacks are pretty underwhelming.

King Dedede is tons better now than he was in the previous game though.
Oh he was pretty garbage in Sm4sh. I remember playing a match against a Cloud and I could barely even touch him. He's miles better now, but still not that good lol. I still like the stupid **** he can do though.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
We don't really talk about victory themes all that much, so let's talk about them.

Aside from FF and Persona 5, most of the victory themes in Ultimate range from 5 - 8 seconds, so for some of the franchises you want to see or think will be in Smash, what would be their victory themes?

For example, Dynasty Warriors has Victory Jubilee, Samurai Warriors has the Victory Theme, Ninja Gaiden has the Next Act sound effect, Soulcalibur could have the Victory theme from SC VI, and Deadly Premonition could have the closing bit of The Woods and the Goddess.
Who knew that this old Siivagunner rip would come in handy.

(That's a remix of a segment from Uncontrollable, which could be used as Elma's victory theme. Considering that the Awakening trio and Corrin both have their own victory theme now that is distinct from the normal Fire Emblem victory theme, it'd fit.)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Fake spoiler warning:

Sakurai is making Helix the ARMs character so he can make a Gooigi echo that uses both moves from Luigi and Helix.

KatKit

Smash Lord
On the subject of the Under-Night community, I think it was pretty awesome that they chose a set-up right outside of EVO that looked like a stage from the actual game.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

Firstly, while Ryu doesn't even break top 15 for me, I think it should be the death jingle that serves as his victory theme. Kinda like Snake.

So, I'm going to talk about Arle. She has I'd say 2 leading candidates, since the normal victory jingle is kinda weak. There's Victory of Puyo Puyo, which would need to be shortened. But there's another candidate that I prefer, it's the Chapter Clear jingle from Puyo Puyo 7, Story Clear from Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary, and Quest Clear from Puyo Puyo!! Quest (which is the biggest and most iconic of the bunch). Unlike the previous three SEGA victory themes, it'd be a new remix of the DS version, since it lasts longer than the normal version.

Crash Bandicoot has one song that stumps me, and that's what his victory jingle should even be. I normally dislike when this happens, but since Crash doesn't really have anything better, a snippet of the Warped Title/Title Twister theme would be nice.

Frisk would have the first beats of Once Upon a Time, Undertale's main theme. Again, Undertale really doesn't have a conventional victory theme, since battles aren't something to be won in that game.

Lloyd Irving would have the victory theme from Tales of Symphonia, Won the Battle! Basically, think Triumph and the FF Battle theme, since it'd also loop instead of playing the Smash 64 character select theme. Common trend amongst RPG characters.

Lastly Paper Mario. It's gotta be this. Maybe going for the Level Up theme if they want a looping one, or having it play after the normal battle victory theme.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Regarding the possibilities of who I think the fifth fighter will end up being, either:
A. the sudden newly localized Puyo games were building up to Arle
B. the "Tales of series" text and save icon that were recently trademarked will end up being for Lloyd
C. they intentionally omitted a spirit for Porky because he was decided on as the final fighter's pass character
or D. they're adding a Three Houses rep.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Octoling’s victory jingle HAS to be Test Passed!, no question

as for Elma...
Broke: Uncontrollable segment (copies off of Shulk using YWKON too much imo)
Woke: THEMEX segment from 4:22 - 4:27 in the song (THEMEX is for all intents and purposes considered Elma’s theme)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another idea y’all

which particular victory animations if any would you want for your most wanted character(s)?

Octoling - one that looks like the Test Passed screen in Octo Expansion but the mem cake looks like a Smash Ball; as well as one where Off The Hook make an appearance
Elma - one where she says “Strength comes from experience. That’s true, even in Smash.”

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
honestly I don’t hate a lot of characters, as long as they have an accurate and fun moveset I’m fine, the not character I can think of that I don’t want is any song rep that’s not Sackboy lol
No one would genuinely make me lose it, and I'm cool with anyone. However, I think Waluigi would be boring as heck, so I guess him.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I hope the next Smash game gives everyone a unique victory theme.

Amaterasu's victory theme would likely be the interlude to The Sun Rises.

as for Elma...
Broke: Uncontrollable segment (copies off of Shulk using YWKON too much imo)
Woke: THEMEX segment from 4:22 - 4:27 in the song (THEMEX is for all intents and purposes considered Elma’s theme)
I don't quite agree with the reasoning, but I do think Uncontrollable is a pretty terrible choice for the current victory theme format. THEMEX or the other main theme for Xenoblade Chronicles X would be better.

Also I hope they add In the Forest (X->Z version). I love that one.

which particular victory animations if any would you want for your most wanted character(s)?
Tatsu tries to take all the credit and the rest of Team Elma stand in the background like they're embarrassed to be in his presence.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Banjo and Kazooie's wonder wing did open up a lot of new possibilities for resource management; my hope is just that moves don't adopt it haphazardly as a way to balance. In RE's case I feel it would make sense. As for the healing herb, I think that would fit well and would be interesting to balance since you have to consider if someone would just spam all the charges and get their stock back essentially or if it recovers too little and it's relatively useless.
With how well-balanced Banjo's Wonderwing is, I think the team would do a great job implementing resource management into an RE character. As long as they make the moves strong enough to compensate for the limited usage, I don't think there'd be any issue with balancing. I could definitely see some of the stronger weapons like the grenade launcher and shotgun making up the specials. I just really like the idea of an inverse Lucario or Joker where the character starts off at their strongest and becomes more disadvantaged as the match progresses. If implemented well, I could see an RE character being one of the most fun additions in Ultimate and being really hype to watch in tournament play.

On the topic of Resident Evil, I think a remix of any of the Save Room themes would work well for a victory fanfare. My personal preference would probably be the original RE2 Save Room theme, but any of them would work as far as I'm concerned.

For Kiryu, I'd like to see a short instrumental remix of Judgement, just because it's a banger and it's one of the most frequently referenced songs in the series. There was a callback to it in Yakuza 6 and the most recent spin-off was named Judgement, so it'd fit pretty well.

2B's a difficult one to think of, so I'm just gonna say a shortened version of Birth of a Wish because it's a recurring theme in the game.

And just to get the more obvious ones out of the way, I'd like Frisk (still blindly holding out) to have Once Upon a Time and Byleth to have a remix of The Edge of Dawn

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To this day I think not making Dr. Mario’s victory fanfare the Dr. Mario theme, and Wolf’s a snippet of the Star Wolf theme (I mean King K. Rool, a major antagonist, got his own fanfare) was a wasted opportunity

oh and also Ganondorf not getting a more villainous fanfare

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Geno.

Mostly because I think there's far bigger fish to fry for the Mario series still missing.

After the main cast are playable? Sure bring him and Mallow in.

Or add Geno(and Mallow) to the main Mario cast and games and make him a more vital cast member. I'd be down for that. Geno's inclusion in Mario Tennis would beat the inclusion of another generic enemy like Fly Guy or something.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
People offering me their ideas behind resource management for a Resident Evil character turned me from someone who wasn't really looking forward to the idea of such a fighter in Smash, to a type of character I really want to support. Especially with how well we've seen concepts applied in DLC thus far with Hero and Banjo & Kazooie having to manage resources.

Plus, I like it when huge Japanese franchises further expand Smash, and Resident Evil is pretty much the biggest one not in the game yet with 92 million copies out there... and I just am all for Sakurai's idea of the Japanese video game "hall of fame" or "museum" or whatever specifically he wants to call it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just really like the idea of an inverse Lucario or Joker where the character starts off at their strongest and becomes more disadvantaged as the match progresses.
Arthur would also likely play this way.

If implemented well, I could see an RE character being one of the most fun additions in Ultimate and being really hype to watch in tournament play.
I'm also curious to see if a character like this could be viable. The only other instance of this I've seen is Archeops, and the Defeatist ability kills that Pokémon competitively.

To this day I think not making Dr. Mario’s victory fanfare the Dr. Mario theme, and Wolf’s a snippet of the Star Wolf theme (I mean King K. Rool, a major antagonist, got his own fanfare) was a wasted opportunity

oh and also Ganondorf not getting a more villainous fanfare
Luigi's fanfare should be a looping fanfare of the level clear theme from Luigi's Mansion. That one's a bop.

Inkling's fanfare should also loop. It's baffling that it doesn't.

Or add Geno(and Mallow) to the main Mario cast and games and make him a more vital cast member. I'd be down for that. Geno's inclusion in Mario Tennis would beat the inclusion of another generic enemy like Fly Guy or something.
Honestly, with how much Nintendo fans like Geno and how much SquareEnix ignores the character I feel like Nintendo should just buy him.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I mean, Activizion Blizzard ****ery aside (you can be the judge of that for yourself, as I know everybody has different takes on this), she is one of the few modern icons in gaming I think we've come out of the past few years and she and most of the Overwatch cast seem almost brought over from an older era of mascots and such. I know you don't like her, but I don't think she's as terrible as people seem to think.
I mean that’s cool and all, Overwatch is a phenomenon (Although it’s heyday has REALLY dwindled down and it’s playerbase is a shell of what it used to be) and I recognize that, but she’s also painfully boring and basic in terms of abilities and as a character as well, and even then I think there are other Activision franchises that are better for Smash like Crash for example, and even in terms of Overwatch characters ones like D. Va or Reaper would be much more interesting and not boring.

Tracer may be iconic but she’s just super dull to me lmao.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Victory themes eh?
Shantae - Item Get fanfare
Steve - Remix of Sweden
Heavy - Victory fanfare

Plank08

Smash Lord
Another idea y’all

Octoling - one that looks like the Test Passed screen in Octo Expansion but the mem cake looks like a Smash Ball; as well as one where Off The Hook make an appearance
Elma - one where she says “Strength comes from experience. That’s true, even in Smash.”
The Sackboy ones from all star would work fine, I’m not picky.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I like Tracer a lot, but I think her gameplay would be very tough to map into a Smash moveset. Reinhardt would probably transition the most naturally.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean that’s cool and all, Overwatch is a phenomenon (Although it’s heyday has REALLY dwindled down and it’s playerbase is a shell of what it used to be) and I recognize that, but she’s also painfully boring and basic in terms of abilities and as a character as well, and even then I think there are other Activision franchises that are better for Smash like Crash for example, and even in terms of Overwatch characters ones like D. Va or Reaper would be much more interesting and not boring.

Tracer may be iconic but she’s just super dull to me lmao.
You know what? That's fair enough. I think you could have some fun with time manipulation and add in some cool abilities, but I won't deny that she is made to be the sort of more standard character in Overwatch properly.

Unrelated to you, but how do people feel about Sakurai's ideas for this overall "museum of Japanese gaming" or whatever? We're actually getting close to having most of that filled out. Resident Evil at 92 million copies sold is the biggest Japanese franchise not in the game, then Monster Hunter at 54 million, and then Tekken at 48 million before a bigger drop (I will point out that Tomb Raider is actually the second biggest not in at 74 million, but she started as a Western character... so I'm not quite counting her). I know those franchises don't always excite people, but I find it really impressive how much ground Sakurai has already covered and how many of the big name companies are in.

If you got those three in, got in a couple of the other bigger franchises like Souls and Tales, added in Koei Tecmo, Arc System Works, and maybe like Falcom, and then got in personalities like Yako Taro and Suda 51 in the game through 2B and Travis, you'd have virtually gotten everything majorly Japanese related in the game across the industry. It's amazing we're already doing as well as we are with such things to be honest, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Sakurai go for a lot of these... and honestly, it would just be really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom