• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Nevermind Firebrand, ARTHUR didn't even make the list!

I mean, you basically just take all the Capcom characters from every Marvel game and you've easily got a full roster there than you can build on.
I liked the spin off more what can I say

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Let's hope they go for Tomb Raider instead.

Not that 2B or...I actually don't know anything about Drakengard. Not that either of those characters would be bad but it wouldn't be nearly as impactful as Lara freakin' Croft.
Honestly, I am not surprised that an attempt for a Nier/Drakengard rep in Smash would be prioritized over Tomb Raider even though Nier/Drakengard only blew up after Automata. Though Lara Croft and Tomb Raider is more established than 2B and Nier/Drakengard, it's hard to downplay that the iron for the latter is hotter than for the former currently. Square-Enix really wants to strike at the iron while it's hot. You don't announce orchestra concerts outside of Japan for Nier unless the series really has blown up.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably the only one who wants Doom Slayer's reveal to be an continuation to:ultridley:

Ridley's about to kill:ultzss:only to hear the sound of an chainsaw buzzing and turns his head as an figure comes out of the shadows revealing to be Doom Slayer and begins to beat and shoots the **** out of Ridley. :grin:

Any other potential of continuation reveals? Only other one I can think of is an RE rep reveal being an continuation to:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:
I kinda feel this whole idea of Samus being rescued against a foe she regularly fights and defeats a bit demeaning to her.

As much as I enjoy Hero and DQ, it would have been crappy having Link being rescued from Ganon instead of Darkhon forces.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly, I am not surprised that an attempt for a Nier/Drakengard rep in Smash would be prioritized over Tomb Raider even though Nier/Drakengard only blew up after Automata. Though Lara Croft and Tomb Raider is more established than 2B and Nier/Drakengard, it's hard to downplay that the iron for the latter is hotter than for the former currently. Square-Enix really wants to strike at the iron while it's hot. You don't announce orchestra concerts outside of Japan for Nier unless the series really has blown up.
Square isn't choosing the characters though. And if Sakurai knows that literally everyone knows Lara he may be inclined to choose her instead. I mean EVERYONE knows who Lara is. She's had 3 movies, countless amount of games, and a Guinness World Record for mos iconic female character in gaming.

The fact that she's not in the game already is kinda baffling and I can only really chalk it up to the fact that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest has priority and Lara is Western made.

I really won't be surprised if she's in the next Pass. Especially if it's following the route of this Pass with the 3rd parties. Lara will make a bigger splash than I think most people are aware of.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I kinda feel this whole idea of Samus being rescued against a foe she regularly fights and defeats a bit demeaning to her.

As much as I enjoy Hero and DQ, it would have been crappy having Link being rescued from Ganon instead of Darkhon forces.
Not really, the few fights we've had portrayed of Samus and Ridley not controlled by the player have a lot of rather brutal back and forth between the two. Brawl probably still has the best example of what Samus has to put up with.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Square isn't choosing the characters though. And if Sakurai knows that literally everyone knows Lara he may be inclined to choose her instead. I mean EVERYONE knows who Lara is. She's had 3 movies, countless amount of games, and a Guinness World Record for mos iconic female character in gaming.

The fact that she's not in the game already is kinda baffling and I can only really chalk it up to the fact that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest has priority and Lara is Western made.

I really won't be surprised if she's in the next Pass. Especially if it's following the route of this Pass with the 3rd parties. Lara will make a bigger splash than I think most people are aware of.
Oh certainly. 74 million lifetime sales makes it the third best-selling Square-Enix franchise (behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, of course) and is something that can't be downplayed. Kingdom Hearts and Drakengard/Nier only has 30 million and 5.33 million lifetime sales by comparison, respectively. Though based on Saito's tweet, it's very clear he's trying to get Sakurai to consider a rep from Drakengard/Nier. You don't suddenly talk about having a meal with him, tag him, and then talk about having him meet Yoko Taro unless you're trying to drum up interest for Smash Bros. representation.

And at the end of the day, even though Yoko and Saito can attempt to convince Sakurai as much as they want, the latter has final say over who gets and who doesn't. And this of course, isn't factoring how much of a role Nintendo themselves play in negotiations. They could very much shut down a rep if a general lack of presence on Nintendo consoles (outside of a collaboration in PSO2) is a major factor.

Even though Tomb Raider is the bigger series, considering that Square-Enix is currently striking the iron on Nier while it's hot, it's not surprising that a higher-up is trying to get a Nier rep in on the action in Smash. If Sakurai asks Square-Enix for Lara Croft instead, I don't think they would be opposed to that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh certainly. 74 million lifetime sales makes it the third best-selling Square-Enix franchise (behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, of course) and is something that can't be downplayed. Kingdom Hearts and Drakengard/Nier only has 30 million and 5.33 million lifetime sales by comparison, respectively. Though based on Saito's tweet, it's very clear he's trying to get Sakurai to consider a rep from Drakengard/Nier. You don't suddenly talk about having a meal with him, tag him, and then talk about having him meet Yoko Taro unless you're trying to drum up interest for Smash Bros. representation.

And at the end of the day, even though Yoko and Saito can attempt to convince Sakurai as much as they want, the latter has final say over who gets and who doesn't. And this of course, isn't factoring how much of a role Nintendo themselves play in negotiations. They could very much shut down a rep if a general lack of presence on Nintendo consoles (outside of a collaboration in PSO2) is a major factor.

Even though Tomb Raider is the bigger series, considering that Square-Enix is currently striking the iron on Nier while it's hot, it's not surprising that a higher-up is trying to get a Nier rep in on the action in Smash. If Sakurai asks Square-Enix for Lara Croft instead, I don't think they would be opposed to that.
I will say though I don't think 2B nor Lara are the next Square rep. I think that belongs to Geno. I just have this gut feeling about him that I can't really explain and he might be the last Square rep we get for a while...

D

Deleted member

2B and Lara have both different appeals and I could see either of them getting in, I don't really see her not being in the game as baffling as third parties go through a lot more licensing issues than we might think.

Plus remember, it might be a no brainier to you or me to include Lara but at the same time it might not be the same to Nintendo (especifically NoJ) or Sakurai.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Repeating a joke once is fine, since it serves as a callback and saves resources.

Repeating a joke twice is dumb.
This was my thought process, too. In the Dixie Kong support thread, I made a script for how a Dixie Kong reveal trailer would go. It uses the same scenario of K. Rool and BK's trailer, but it doesn't go quite like how you would think. Thread owner BirthNote BirthNote decided to storyboard it, leading to this wonderful post.

Or, if you don't wanna click the post, here's the image for the whole trailer:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Watch them end up negotiating for Gex in a massive unexpected subversion.
Remember that Gex 3 alone sold more than 6 million copies compared to Automata's 4 million xP

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I think Dixie would have "Dixie Kong Makes a Hair-Raising Entrance!", since anything related to spinning is probably going to be saved for Crash.

But that does sound like a brilliant idea. Fool you into thinking it'll be a third repeat, then put a twist on it.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I saw the last few pages and I want to address something, I don't care if I'm late to the party.

Having a variety of a characters is a good thing. Wanting a variety of characters is a good thing.

Wanting a variety of characters to fulfill a quota or an agenda IE putting female characters in a game for the sake of adding female characters or one that really runs me up the wall - adding a non-white character for the sake it of it. My issue with Smash is that it's not utilizing the properties it has access to at a moment's notice. I don't find the influx of 3rd parties too appealing in my opinion and given the choice, I'd trade out all 3rd parties for 1st and 2nd party reps in a heartbeat, even the ones I like. But even then, I'd take the current roster as it is before I accept a character being added just because they're female or black (oops). Yeah, Simon and Terry are white men, so the **** what? Simon represents Castlevania and Terry represents Fatal Fury. I lean towards the non-human/mascot-type characters first and foremost and realistic characters in Smash rub me the wrong way, but even I know what the two examples mentioned represent and their legacy in video game history. And last I checked, Smash Four added a fair amount of female characters, something Sakurai himself mentioned in one of his Miiverse posts if I remember right.

And that brings me to my next point: One character that I wanted who somehow was absent despite everything lining up with Sakurai's so-called rules and mandates and had a very recent release: Dixie Kong. A character who not only has history behind her belt, or hair in this case but was leading two games without any fanfare of her being a girl or a female character two decades before it was cool to do so. I wanted Dixie in Smash for thirteen years but recently because Donkey Kong was so neglected in terms of content in comparison to other series and it seemed like the logical choice to make if King K. Rool was that unrealizable. I'd happily settle for just Dixie but here we are. There are plenty of other characters whom I want that happen to be female and I won't call or claim that Smash is sexist if they don't show up. I find it rather petty to boycott a game just because of a lack of a female newcomer, more petty than me boycotting the game if K. Rool didn't show up or showed up as DLC. A character must bring more than their gender or race to the table and there are no real examples of the latter that I can bring up, probably because to me, it's not an issue. I never needed to see a black face in video games, I only cared if the game was fun to play and enjoyable. Ironically, most of the games we played back then had at least one or two black people in the roster, mainly fighting games so hey, games that were already fun sometimes came with an optional bonus.

And if I have to self-insert, which I do not; I have the green Inkling boy and the purple shirt Villager for that.

And let me say this again before someone tries to start a fire: For me personally, I do not care about seeing a character that shares my skin color or race. If you do, that's fine. But don't get your hang-ups on me for not sharing your stance.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I will say though I don't think 2B nor Lara are the next Square rep. I think that belongs to Geno. I just have this gut feeling about him that I can't really explain and he might be the last Square rep we get for a while...
If 2B and/or Lara does happens, I would put my money on them being the last fighter or fighter(s) announced for Ultimate.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If we get anyone from Square I’d days Sora even though he’s technically Disney.

I see Geno but only really because he’s been considered before.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Oh boy another dated cartoony punchy dude from a platformer
Which waifu would you rather have instead?

Never understood if proposing Gex means a joke or people are serious.
A mixture of both, Gex would be hilarious and would being a lot of laughs but at the same time his games are genuinely very fun and a lot of people do remember him.

I think it's more of a dread thing. I mean, as much as he's a joke and all but forgotten, the little ****** did somehow sell some games...
The Gex franchise in total sold 15 million. I'm not sure how he did it either but it shows he did something right xP

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean Okami started on Playstation, but i also think she deserves to be in Smash.
And I mean Okami on the Wii worked better than the ps2 version because of motion controls but by all means you can have that W for all I care. All your other arguments are flimsy.

Street Fighter 2 is the single best selling 3rd party game on the SNES. Probably the single best selling one on Nintendo systems ever (want to look that up).
Yeah and FF7 was one of the best selling entries in the series but they didnt ditch the PlayStation now did they.

Yes the franchise left the system soon after, but the Street Fighter 3 series only came to Dreamcast and the Alpha series all got ported to Nintendo systems.
Alpha 2 is the inferior version compared to its competitors, it being a virtual console title doesnt cut it and Nintendo got the console versions of Alpha and Alpha 3 .... 20 years after its debut lmao.

Ultimately Capcom left Street Fighter in a weird place for almost a decade and then came back with Street Fighter IV in HD, which the Wii was flat out not capable of running.
That still doesnt change the fact that they released crossover games on the ps2 and xbox that they also could've put on the gamecube. Nor does it change the fact that sfiv series lasted longer than the Wii and they could've put usiv on the wii u.

But Street Fighter has appeared on every Nintendo system since the SNES and its legacy with that system basically trumps any franchise apart from Mega Man.

Hell every 3rd party franchise in Smash either didn't start on Nintendo systems or abandoned Nintendo at some point in its life, including Mega Man
Okay 1. Bayonetta is basically an Nintendo Ip at this point and 2. I've been stuck in a rut as of late so unfortunately I dont have anything clever to say about how wrong you are, and especially about Megaman. So here are the links about the third party games that appeared on Nintendo consoles you missed in your time living under that rock lmao.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_video_games
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mega_Man_video_games
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Quest_media
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Castlevania_media

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I saw the last few pages and I want to address something, I don't care if I'm late to the party.

Having a variety of a characters is a good thing. Wanting a variety of characters is a good thing.

Wanting a variety of characters to fulfill a quota or an agenda IE putting female characters in a game for the sake of adding female characters or one that really runs me up the wall - adding a non-white character for the sake it of it.
The thing is though wanting a female character isn't the same as tokenism. You could want a female character for a variety of reasons; To have another character you can identify with, to introduce some more variety, because you like them, etc..

Think about it this way: If I told you I wanted an FPS character for DLC you wouldn't bat an eye right? The same rules still apply-You don't want to add one for the sake of it-but if you reached into the category, pulled out Master Chief and thought "Everyone will love this due to his impact on gaming and FPS fans will get thrown a bone as well since this will be the second shooter character in Smash" then you've made a genuinely good pick.

I find it rather petty to boycott a game just because of a lack of a female newcomer, more petty than me boycotting the game if K. Rool didn't show up or showed up as DLC.
Both actions make me sad really. I can't imagine how anyone could hate a game because someone isn't there. I mean, unless you don't like the game much and would only play it for a specific character then it's really just you that suffers for boycotting a fun game because X character isn't here.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Yeah and FF7 was one of the best selling entries in the series but they didnt ditch the PlayStation now did they.
No, but they did ditch Nintendo which was the entire point of your weird minimising of Street Fighter's impact to Nintendo?

Alpha 2 is the inferior version compared to its competitors, it being a virtual console title doesnt cut it and Nintendo got the console versions of Alpha and Alpha 3 .... 20 years after its debut lmao.
Alpha 2 came out on the Super Nintendo. And are we really going to disparage Nintendo's handhelds which are the only place that got consistent support from most third parties during the 21st century?

That still doesnt change the fact that they released crossover games on the ps2 and xbox that they also could've put on the gamecube. Nor does it change the fact that sfiv series lasted longer than the Wii and they could've put usiv on the wii u.
No one put any games on the Wii U apart from Nintendo. Why would Capcom bother porting a 5 year old game?

Okay 1. Bayonetta is basically an Nintendo Ip at this point and 2. I've been stuck in a rut as of late so unfortunately I dont have anything clever to say about how wrong you are, and especially about Megaman. So here are the links about the third party games that appeared on Nintendo consoles you missed in your time living under that rock lmao.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_video_games
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mega_Man_video_games
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Quest_media
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Castlevania_media
Sonic didn't start on Nintendo platforms, and Sonic '06 was a mainline title that skipped the Wii in the exact way Street Fighter did.

Mega Man and Mega Man X both went over the Playstation and Saturn, skipping the N64.

Dragon Quest left Nintendo systems after 1995 and didn't come back with a mainline title till 2009.

Between '93 and '99 Nintendo home consoles had no Castlevania games (including missing out on one of the greatest games of all time) and there were none on the Gamecube at all. (the handheld games during that period own though).

I didn't miss anything, you're just selectively choosing what you think qualifies a character to be in Smash. Nintendo has had a rocky history with 3rd party companies, but ignoring Street Fighter's history with Nintendo because of some perceived betrayal. And then listing Okami, a game which was developed for a different platform and then ported to Wii, and then Nintendo not receiving the HD remaster until SIX years after it released, make you come off like you don't actually have a solid grasp on Nintendo history and are letting your personal biases blind you.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Going back a bit I can very easily see Sub zero being an alt skin for Scorpion if they base him off his classic appearance. Same with the other Ninja's.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy It is the same. A token female is just the same as a token non-white, both are non-standard or considered non-standard. Sometimes you get a mix of both, one demographic commonly used in advertising and recent games solely pushing an agenda, black women.

Adding a character because they represent a genre comes off as superfluous, but as you said, Chief represents a series that's made a mark on the industry, the genre he's apart of doesn't make a difference, just like Banjo doesn't represent 3D platformers but instead represents a key piece of Nintendo that no longer exists. And on the note of boycotting Smash, yes I would have boycotted the game if King K. Rool wasn't present. As I said in my last post, Donkey Kong got jack**** in Smash Four, not even a relatively easy derivative of Diddy Kong that has support, games and the dreaded relevancy under her belt and I was fed up by December of 2015, swearing off Smash completely. Over two years later, I feared the worst when Ultimate was revealed and to my surprise and joy, the character who I rallied by for a decade and change and pushed for in the ballot showed up and made an impact bigger than the 3rd parties that people hype up simply by showing up. Seems petty but considering Donkey Kong was in a bad position when Rare left and still seems to be a secondary priority to Nintendo, I felt my would-be actions were justified. Smash is just one video game series out of hundreds, I don't think I would have missed much and still hold those feelings today.

Fans shouldn't have to stuff a suggestion box and become obnoxiously loud just to get one character in. K. Rool is why I bought Ultimate. Banjo is validating my reason for doing so.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Imagine still peddling "muh Nintendo ties" when Joker, Terry, Cloud and Snake got in.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy It is the same. A token female is just the same as a token non-white, both are non-standard or considered non-standard. Sometimes you get a mix of both, one demographic commonly used in advertising and recent games solely pushing an agenda, black women.

Adding a character because they represent a genre comes off as superfluous, but as you said, Chief represents a series that's made a mark on the industry, the genre he's apart of doesn't make a difference, just like Banjo to doesn't represent 3D platformers but instead represents a key piece of Nintendo that no longer exists. And on the note of boycotting Smash, yes I would have boycotted the game if King K. Rool wasn't present. As I said in my last post, Donkey Kong got jack**** in Smash Four, not even a relatively easy derivative of Diddy Kong that has support, games and the dreaded relevancy under her belt and I was fed up by December of 2015, swearing off Smash completely. Over two years later, I feared the worst when Ultimate was revealed and to my surprise and joy, the character who I rallied by for a decade and change and pushed for in the ballot showed up and made an impact bigger than the 3rd parties that people hype up simply by showing up. Seems petty but considering Donkey Kong was in a bad position when Rare left and still seems to be a secondary priority to Nintendo, I felt my would-be actions were justified. Smash is just one video game series out of hundreds, I don't think I would have missed much and still hold those feelings today.

Fans shouldn't have to stuff a suggestion box and become obnoxiously loud just to get one character in. K. Rool is why I bought Ultimate. Banjo is validating my reason for doing so.
Bruh, if you feel you'd be justified in boycotting Smash over K. Rool, why are you getting on people's cases over boycotting the game if a female isn't added to the DLC? That's hypocrisy right there if I've ever seen it.

Look, you yourself said you prefer cartoony, non-human mascot characters. Well, how about if some people prefer female characters? That's literally what we call a "preference".

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Imagine still peddling "muh Nintendo ties" when Joker, Terry, Cloud and Snake got in.
I mean to be fair SNK ported like 80% of his series to switch before Terry joined Smash and I'm pretty sure Joker's 3DS game was coming the same week as he was announced for smash so those guys have Nintendo ties.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bruh, if you feel you'd be justified in boycotting Smash over K. Rool, why are you getting on people's cases over boycotting the game if a female isn't added to the DLC? That's hypocrisy right there if I've ever seen it.

Look, you yourself said you prefer cartoony, non-human mascot characters. Well, how about if some people prefer female characters? That's literally what we call a "preference".
Ok but wanting an arbitrary DK character solely because they're from DK is good, wanting a woman however cannot possibly be good

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Megami Tensei series - Started on the Famicom
Final Fantasy series - Started on the Famicom
Fatal Fury series - Started in the Arcades and NeoGeo, but ported to the Super Famicom.
Metal Gear series - Started on the PC Engine, but ported to the Famicom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom