• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Let's share our "Never-evers", characters you think have a slim to none chance at getting into Smash at this point but you'd still love to see against all odds.

I'll start with this Alola League Champ and professional good boy:

KillerCage

Smash Master
If we are talking about Nintendo characters for DLC, I can see only three candidates:

Geno (the only character owned by a third party and is a spirit)

The protagonist of Dragalia Lost (I think it's Euden but correct me if I'm wrong)

startropics__mike_jones__smashified__by_zieghost_dcrsw7s-pre.jpg

Credit for this render goes to Zieghost on Deviant Art.

The latter two are not in Smash Bros Ultimate in any form so I can see either of them being added as DLC.

Let's share our "Never-evers", characters you think have a slim to none chance at getting into Smash at this point but you'd still love to see against all odds.
get_bonus__by_ethandoesathing_dc3vj50-pre.jpg

Credit goes to EthanDoesaThing on Deviant Art.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*cough* Morrigan Aensland *cough*

I personally admit to myself that she's a pipe dream. If she were not, then I'd lose my ****ing ****.

D

Deleted member

Hat Kid is never happening but I'll support her regardless

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Stocke, from Radiant Historia.
Selvaria, from Valkyria Chronicles.
Lenneth, from Valkyrie Profile... nah, make it Alicia or Silmeria.
Nina, from Breath of Fire (her BoF2 self).
Fou-Lu, from Breath of Fire 4.
Axel Stone, from Streets of Rage.
Kat, from Gravity Rush.

There are more (like Saber) but no need to make an extensive list.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
random question, but i'm curious. We all know and agree that anyone who didn't debut in a video game is a no-go, yeah? But what about characters who DID debut in a video game, but are from a bigger franchise that didn’t start as a video game? Like, Dash Rendar from Star Wars Shadows of the Empire for example. Obviously a character like that will never happen anyway, I’m just curious if they’d qualify as a video game character or not

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Maxwell from Scribblenauts, was a big part of my DS experience and would literally have unlimited move set potential.

random question, but i'm curious. We all know and agree that anyone who didn't debut in a video game is a no-go, yeah? But what about characters who DID debut in a video game, but are from a bigger franchise that didn’t start as a video game? Like, Dash Rendar from Star Wars Shadows of the Empire for example. Obviously a character like that will never happen anyway, I’m just curious if they’d qualify as a video game character or not
Dash Rendar started as a book character, Shadows of the Empire novel came out many months before the game. Kyle Katarn first appearance was the video game Star Wars: Dark Forces so he’d be a better example. I’d say he’s a video game character, but he’s also a Star Wars character, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Like you said though, either way it doesn’t matter since a character like that would never be in Smash.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I say they count as video game characters, but they don't come from game franchises so somebody like the New Kid or Android 21 would still be basically the next step to Goku or SpongeBob. And if we're gonna get content from licensed games at all (which I am not negative on, but most are) I'd rather we go for stuff like Battle for Bikini Bottom, or the Budokais, or Arkham Asylum & City. But those are not for here or now, this is the era of franchises borne of gaming, nothing else. And that's not changing as long as Sakurai's in charge.

Now, a character I'm really interested in talking about is Tak. He has no chance, I'm not an idiot, but he debuted in a video game that started as a video game franchise, so is he (theoretically) eligible for Smash?

By the way, Sly Cooper is my favorite never-ever but would be awesome character. Honorable mention to PaRappa and Ratchet & Clank, but Sly needs it the most I think.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Also the reboot games as far as I have heard aren't super great games
They're better than the old games I assure you. Which weren't popular because they were mediocre action puzzle pltformers...

She is probably the next Toad as far as never making it in, even though she/he should have made it in decades ago. I am quite pessimistic on her prospects.
Smash Bros. hasn't existed for decades.

Outrage in the Smash Bubble? I thought the general consensus on Hayabusa were mixed rather than the majority being highly in favor of seeing him in Smash because of how predictable he seems to be at the moment.
He's predictable because he's such an obvious and deserved pick.

Come on, Sakurai. Gives Will's grandma what she wants.
twss

Since the argument comes from time to time, what makes a character deserving in the objective way?
It's a combination of factors measure whether the character's inclusion is earned or not, determined by factors including, but not limited to, popularity, recognizability, overall impact on Nintendo specifically, or just video games in general, etc.

My post was satire. The point was that no matter how much someone deserves to be honored, it means jack **** if Sakurai doesn't accept the idea. We got a potted plant, mate. Get this deserved stuff out of here.
All that proves is that, sometimes, Sakurai puts characters into Smash that didn't deserve it.

You need to get over the fact that some people want to discuss who SHOULD be in Smash, not who WILL be in Smash.

Last edited:

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Dash Rendar started as a book character, Shadows of the Empire novel came out many months before the game. Kyle Katarn first appearance was the video game Star Wars: Dark Forces so he’d be a better example. I’d say he’s a video game character, but he’s also a Star Wars character, they’re not mutually exclusive.

Like you said though, either way it doesn’t matter since a character like that would never be in Smash.
My mistake, i'm only familiar with the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Now, a character I'm really interested in talking about is Tak. He has no chance, I'm not an idiot, but he debuted in a video game that started as a video game franchise, so is he (theoretically) eligible for Smash?
According to Wikipedia the game predated the show so in that case yes. However, even if you wanted to use him you'd have to track down who owns him first since his previous owner went defunct.

Smash Bros. hasn't existed for decades.
The word decade sounds long but it's only ten years, and Smash has definitely been around for more than 10 years.

Centuries are the super long 100 year things. Using that word on most things is likely to be inaccurate.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Any of PlayStation's allstars. Like Rachet, Jak, Sly or Kratos. They would fit in.

Also add in heavy weapons guy, he would fit in too.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Tbh though, now that I think about it, if someone wants to put in a character for “quota” then who the **** cares?

By all means, add your villains, add your side-characters, add whoever, it doesn’t matter at all.

I just find in terms of females people tend to single that topic out as “Filling quota” and it comes across as really ****ing sexist.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Not sure how much this affects things, but would rating systems in the US and Europe matter at all over this?
In the US, Disgaea averages a T and in EU it averages 12+ (same as Smash). Not sure what contributes more to Disgaea's rating in the US, cause it could be any combination of the language (NISA is fairly liberal and tend to make things a bit more edgey in localization), character designs or themes.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The word decade sounds long but it's only ten years, and Smash has definitely been around for more than 10 years.
Smash has existed for exactly 20 years. In order for Dixie to have "made it in decades ago" should would have had to have been in Smash 64...

Centuries are the super long 100 year things. Using that word on most things is likely to be inaccurate.
Yeah, that's why you go the other way and just say years...derp.

What if I'm not hatin but rather I just find Dixie the far less interesting and inferior hair weilding fighter to a certain cursed imp girl that rides wolves?
And they're BOTH far less interesting than the true superior hair wielding fighter, a certain half genie girl.

If you want a Secret of Mana rep, that can only be Randi... but Riesz destroys him in terms of popularity.
...how? Trials is just now getting released in NA. Secret of Mana is an SNES classic(literally).

I don't want female Terry only because her design is clear fanservice. It just feels wrong to look at. Like I'm looking at a weirdly good but perverted deviantart rule 63.
Female Terry can be in once Sakurai finally adds the Super Crown.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

• Kyo Kusanagi from King of Fighters
  • Alex from Street Fighter
  • Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If the freaking Ice climbers got in the game then it doesn’t matter, Sakurai does what Sakurai wants.
Right, but that doesn't mean some characters aren't more deserving than others. It just means that sometimes Sakurai puts in characters that didn't deserve it.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Tbh though, now that I think about it, if someone wants to put in a character for “quota” then who the **** cares?

By all means, add your villains, add your side-characters, add whoever, it doesn’t matter at all.

I just find in terms of females people tend to single that topic out as “Filling quota” and it comes across as really ****ing sexist.
Wanting to fill a quota you made personally is one thing. Want a character specifically because they're female, go ahead.

The issue comes with the expectations of the developers as if filling a quota is their responsibility. If the last FP character ends up not being female, should Nintendo or Sakurai be held accountable if they never had a quota to begin with? In other words, is the lack of a focus on gender tantamount to actively discriminating based on gender? I hope not in this case, but I've seen other aspects of life where people did take it that way.

Also I've seen other uses of the phrase "filling a quota" for Smash before. Serious ones like race and sexuality and less serious ones like first/third party, franchise or company :yoshi:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
...how? Trials is just now getting released in NA. Secret of Mana is an SNES classic(literally).
How? I don't know for certain how that came to be. All I know is that Riesz is the single most popular Mana character by a wide margin. And Seiken Densetsu 3 may have never released outside of Japan, it still got a fan translation that allowed people to play "Secret of Mana 2".

Luminario

Smash Lord

Honestly? Clefairy. If y'all thought Hero's RNG was bad, wait til you get a face full of Metronomes.
I'd see Metronome just choose from a list of certain character's moves at random (i.e. Mario's fireball, Peach's Turnip, FE Counter, Nayru's Love, etc.) with the occasional self harming Explosion and Splash. Nothing too crazy or unbalanced, just a bit of fun.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This may be read as an inflammatory comment, but it's meant only to better inform myself: for some very niche franchises that are really only popular in Japan beside the "weeb"/"otaku" audience, do people really think that they have a chance? Or that people would be wrong in reacting negatively towards such obscure franchises?

I won't name any specific franchises, but I'm not referring to something like Dragon Quest or King of Fighters that did find success outside of Japan, at least in its time. I mean stuff that did release outside Japan but never really found anything more than its cult audience.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Kinda hard to counter your "facts" when your original argument was this vague bull****.

Burden of proof is on you. You got actual reasons? You got reasons why Dixie deserves to be in over Rhythm Heaven? How about Advannce Wars, another Fire Emblem character, Kirby, Metroid, Pikmin, Mario, Zelda, Astral Chain, Takamaru? You got something special that elevates her above all of these? I'd love that over your petty insults.
Here is what I have written on Dixie's worth:

I long promised an essay in support of Dixie Kong's inclusion in Smash Bros., and I guess this is it (I am sorry if you were expecting something even longer than what you will all are about to read). I will not make much mention of moveset arguments for Dixie Kong, but I think there are plenty of others that can make the argument, and I feel after Piranha Plant, that "moveset potential" is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" style argument. There is a great diversity of ways to which Dixie Kong can be approached as a fighter, from a fully unique one to a semi-clone or even an echo (though I think Ken-style is the only one that really fits). I feel for Dixie Kong that passion and belief about what type of fighter she should be is proportional to just how much passion and interest there is in her. If she was on par with the likes of Waluigi and Geno for requests among the Smash Bubble, she would be universally deemed to be only fitting to be a fully unique fighter. However, with her fanbase and requests in the straits that they are in, she mostly is settled for as an echo fighter addition or semi-clone outside of her most passionate supporters. I do have confidence in Sakurai and his team to faithfully implement Dixie and her appeal regardless of what type of fighter she they ultimately do choose for her (assuming she ever does happen as a fighter). Some of my favorite characters in the Smash Bros. series are semi-clones (like Roy), and I think Dark Samus was captured very well as to who she is despite nearly all of her differences being animation based (there is actually some great subtle references to her source material in them). However, this piece is not to argue about what kind of fighter Dixie should or will be, but rather her merits are, and what she means to Smash Bros., Nintendo, and gaming as a whole.

With all that being said, let me explain just why Dixie Kong is not just Nintendo All-Star, but a gaming all-star as a whole.

Dixie Kong is truly something special. She might not ultimately make Ultimate's roster, but she is still one of Nintendo's best and most iconic heroines. At a time where some people complain about there being no female characters as part of the Fighters Pass, its peculiar that much of this crowd continues to ignore the sub-100 pound monkey in the room. Dixie Kong, is not just one of Nintendo's most iconic and legendary heroines, but among gaming as a whole. She became popular and well known even before Lara Croft and Jill Valentine, and moreover she was popular among boys for reasons beyond sex appeal ("WHOA SHE CAN FLY! LOOK AT HOW SHE CAN SHRED ON HER GUITAR!").

Dixie Kong was groundbreaking. As another Dixie fan noted, Samus might have been Nintendo's first prominent heroine, but Dixie was the first major one to wear her femininity on her sleeve. Back in the 90's, you could definitely be in the dark about what Samus's gender was, Dixie however, was definitely a girl, and a girly girl one at that. She liked the color pink, had long flowing hair, long eyelashes, colored toenails, and cried when she got hit. Everything about this character would make you think that she would not go over well with demographics outside of little girls. However, Dixie Kong was a rare breed of a character. She is among the few that has "Mario appeal". She is a character that manages to be popular and appealing across demographics despite her unorthodox design due to just how fun she is to play as and the charm of her character, just like Mario, whose design is of a portly middle aged mustachioed man in overalls with a high-pitched voice, but is among the most loved and iconic character in all of gaming.

Dixie is a character that embraces her femininity without having to rely on sex appeal or "waifuism", and for that she is not only just one of the best heroines in gaming but also among the most interesting. While she may cry when she got hit, or due a female tween-like pout about being thrown in a crib with Kiddy (DKC3's game over screen), she at the same time subverted tropes by managing to be one of the few Kongs (especially playable Kongs) that never got kidnapped by K. Rool, and moreover, she canonically insulted/sassed him to his face. She is not a support character like most other major prominent female Nintendo characters, but a co-protagonists in two of the Top 10 best selling SNES titles (DKC2 and DKC3). As another Dixie fan put it, she is "cute, cool, bad***".

Dixie is a character that goes beyond "girl Diddy". She has a lot of charm and personality. From sipping a drink in the middle of a journey, to lapping up honey while storming a Zinger stronghold, to taking DK's Switch for herself. Dixie is a character that knows how to smell the roses and enjoy the moment, which is why she does not hesitate to enjoy some honey in an environment full of giant bees, hijack DK's Switch from him, or mock K. Rool to his face. Dixie likes having fun just as much as we have fun playing as her. That is part of her endearment. In many ways, she might possibly be the pinnacle of the characters Rare created (and that truly says something), and it is a shame she basically went a nearly 20 year stretch without any sort of prominent role.

Dixie Kong is not just a character that stands out among heroines, but all heroes. She is a character that managed to simultaneously embrace and subvert tropes, and somehow manage to become one of the most endearing characters within not just her franchise, but gaming as a whole.

While most of the Smash Bros. Bubble continues to basically ignore her, they simply do not know the breadth to which Dixie Kong was a trailblazer and the subtle charm to her character. Dixie in many ways is the female Mario. Unlike most heroines, most of her appeal is not due to sex appeal/"waifu factor", but rather because of her gameplay mechanics and personality, much like Mario is not someone you would initially think of as cool or endearing without having a hands on experience with the character.

Dixie Kong is a character that is exemplary of the term Nintendo All-Star in many ways. She is a showcase for the Nintendo brand as a whole. A character, that like Nintendo, has their net cast wide across demographics despite what the industry conventions are to what "appealing" is. If there is one Nintendo character left to ever be added to Smash Bros., I could not think of a finer Nintendo character for the series to close on than Dixie Kong: The Last Nintendo All-Star.

I re-iterate that Ultimate's roster is absolutely fantastic, and I am extremely grateful to Sakurai and his team for everything that they did for Ultimate from finally adding Ridley to the roster (a childhood dream of mine that went on for nearly 20 years), to bringing back every single veteran (another dream I thought was unlikely to ever happen), to bringing in Castlevania (one of my favorite non-Nintendo franchises, and one to which the Smash Bubble seemed to care little for), and recently bringing in Banjo-Kazooie (a character that is outright owned by a console competitor to Nintendo). Sakurai and his team have increasingly broken through each "impossible" bar, and left us in awe of just what we can expect or what we see as "plausible".

Dixie Kong as a character in many ways is someone who seems "on paper" to be the most obvious character that could be added to Smash Bros. She is a popular Nintendo characters that is prominent within her franchise of origin. Of such a basal quality, Dixie has this one in spades. However, after over 20 years of history to the franchise, Dixie is still conspicuously absent from the roster. Moreover, as time goes on. her prospects of ever being added keep becoming lower and lower. Smash now has gone on to become something than just about Nintendo characters. With Smash 4 and especially Ultimate, its about celebrating gaming as a whole.

Dixie is a character in many ways that completes the circle. When I first learned of Smash Bros., I was very (pleasantly) surprised Samus was part of the roster when every other character on the roster had an upcoming game for the Nintendo 64 at the time except her. Samus beat and exceeded the odds of what most would have put on a roster of 12 Nintendo characters back in 1999. However, regardless of the Metroid series having gone into hiatus during those past five years, there was no denying it, Samus and Metroid were still a major part of Nintendo and their brand. Samus and Dixie Kong were both among my favorite gaming heroes during my childhood (and still are). It was Samus's unexpected presence on the Smash Bros. roster that I even got as overwhelmingly hyped for Smash Bros. even months before the game's international release.

Dixie Kong is a character that I believe in my heart does not just fit the descriptor of Nintendo All-Star, but also Gaming All-Star. She might not have launched a franchise, but she is a character that in many way encapsulates just what charm there is to a character in the medium of gaming. She is a character that manages to have a foot both in her criteria to fit what it took to enter Smash Bros. at the beginning of the series and what it means now (importance to gaming as a whole).

However, just like Samus before her, conventionally she does not seem likely at all. Dixie is not a character even Nintendo fans are clamoring for (or rather the "Smash Bubble"). Dixie might very well never be added to Smash Bros.'s roster (Ultimate or any future installment).

However, even if she is never added, she is still an incredible heroine, and Ultimate's roster is still incredible. However, if by some miracle, and it would be an absolutely incredible miracle, Dixie Kong were added as DLC, it would be one of the greatest miracles of Ultimate's roster yet. Dixie, a character that does not meet the criteria of what is expected for DLC newcomers for Ultimate, might somehow, someway, managed to be selected to be DLC. That would be a miracle on par with Ridley being playable, EVERYONE IS HERE!, and Banjo-Kazooie making it in.

I do not know what Sakurai and his team's interpretation of Dixie Kong as a fighter will be (assuming if it ever does happen), but regardless, I have hope that Sakurai will implement her in a way that captures just what is so endearing and charming about Dixie Kong.

Dixie paradoxically is a character that makes the most sense on paper as a Smash Bros. addition, yet is also unlikely to be added in the future even among actual Nintendo characters. It is poetic this unconventional circumstances matches her unconventional appeal.

Sakurai and his team have my gratitude for making Ultimate the way they did (aside from the things I mentioned before, there are even small touches that I am grateful for like giving my favorite F-Zero character Pico, a role in the World of Light) , but like RomanceDawn, I have one more request (and it is the same as his), and that is to the complete the circle. Make Dixie Kong join the fight. Samus, one of Nintendo's AND gaming's biggest and beloved heroines joined the battle at the dawn of the franchise (the very dawn of it, she was even among the four fighters to the demo pitch Sakurai made for the original Smash Bros.). Ultimate in many ways is the apex of the Smash Bros. series. Dixie Kong joining the fight now, while long overdue, would be a moving swansong to what is shaping up to Masahiro Sakurai's magnum opus.

Dixie Kong is a character that epitomizes what Smash Bros. is, then and now. She is important to both Nintendo and gaming.

Dixie is a character that I have been very fond of going back over 20 years ago. My Dixie Kong figurine was one of my favorite toys from my childhood and was consistently near my bedside as I went to sleep every night. Having a physical object to enjoy and play with was something that I wish had extended to Samus, my other favorite gaming hero from childhood. However, I was happy to have just Dixie Kong (and Yoshi) to play with and enjoy, Now 20 years later, I am grateful that Sakurai and his team have added in not just nearly all of my favorite Nintendo characters but also my favorite gaming characters in general. Dixie this time though is the one not part of the toy box.

For many of Dixie's fans and supporters, the love and support for her runs deep. BirthNote, has been courteous enough to chronicle many of these stories into the opening post of this thread. Much like Roy (another character I deeply wanted to see, although to return), much of his appeal was not easily apparent to those who did not experience him, but rather from those who played with him hands-on and thus got appreciate his personality charm and gameplay flair. Dixie is much in the same way, to many people who never or barely played DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze, Dixie is just "girl Diddy" just like Roy was "fire Marth". However, I think the comparisons are even more unfair because Dixie's differences from Diddy are much readily apparent than Roy and Marth's were.

Thus, even if I were to craft the best prose ever written on the merits of Dixie Kong's value and worth to be a part of Ultimate's roster, it never ever would be enough to grow her fanbase and the passion for her possible inclusion. Words may touch, but actions MOVE. The best way to truly appreciate Dixie is to enjoy her source material. She is one of the two protagonists for both DKC2 and DKC3, with the former regarded as one of the best 2D platformers of all time (and the latter a very underrated game, and I personally believe to be among the best platformers for the SNES even if it is not quite as good as DKC2, it is stronger than the first DKC entry). In Tropical Freeze, she is arguably the most helpful of all the support Kongs and the game itself is argued to be the pinnacle of 2D platformers as well.

I said almost a year ago (back in December), that Dixie Kong was a treasure to the future. She might be the last long running Nintendo character left that is both a main character to their franchise (as in actual main protagonist level) that is still not part of the roster to the Smash Bros. series. Going forward Dixie is a throwback to the possible newcomer pools that Smash Bros. fans who anticipated Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 had access to. The likes of Wario, Diddy Kong, Ridley, King Dedede, Olimar, Little Mac, Meta Knight, K. Rool, Ganondorf, Zelda, Bowser, Peach, and Bowser Jr. have all been added in now. Dixie Kong (and arguably the Toads) are all that is left from the ages of where characters had to fit "the old criteria" (namely being an integral character to a major Nintendo franchise). In an era where the most wanted characters are retro Nintendo characters, side Nintendo characters, and third-parties, Dixie Kong is a throwback to the very beginning of this legendary game franchise for character requests. She is a character that Smash fans back in 2001 would agree deserves to be in Smash Bros., which is something that I think few other characters left at this point could say (again, aside from Toad), and would be surprised to find out, nearly 20 years later, still did not make it in yet.

Dixie might not have much internet "cool kids" saying she is a great possible addition, or a massive online fanbase, but she is an absolutely legendary character, and I think even if I might not follow a future installment that does end up adding her in down the road, I think that it is something that Nintendo and Smash Bros. fans who were not around for Melee, Brawl, or Smash 4 newcomer support periods should have, an unequivocal Nintendo All-Star to support and champion . Sometimes the shiniest jewel goes unnoticed.

However, my personal hope, my hope beyond hope, is that somehow Sakuai and his team once again make the impossible possible and decide to implement Dixie Kong even though she is not a third-party character or promoting an upcoming Nintendo title. Her addition would not only be unprecedented as DLC newcomers go, but it would fittingly show how Smash Bros. has come full circle. One of its first newcomers being Samus, and if Dixie Kong were added, one of the last, for what is arguably the culmination for the franchise and what it has been building toward. It would be perhaps the last miracle (or one of the last) of Ultimate's many miracles.

I am not going to get my hopes up though. I expect only third-party characters as DLC (Geno still counts as third-party). I have very limited free time, and I think at this point in time, it is a poor usage of my time to write up grandiose and passionate posts about a character whom I can do basically nothing in terms of moving the needle towards their possible inclusion. I have been a fan of Smash Bros. for over 20 years, a member of the online Smash Bros. community for over 18 years, and part of SmashBoards for nearly 13 years (going to be 13 next week). I have gotten nearly everything I ever could have wanted or hoped for in relation to Smash Bros. Ridley being a part of the Smash roster was a childhood dream of mine that I thought was likely never going to be realized after Sakurai's own statements on him back in November 2014. Not just Ridley, but so many other things with Ultimate. I have won the lottery multiple times with this title, and yet I still am asking for more. As I said before, I have been spoiled rotten, and I think the best way I can show gratitude moving forward is through moving on.

If there is any profound news in relation to Dixie's prospects made in the future I will comment on it, but I think what I have said here will be my final profound word in relation to Dixie unless in the event of either a confirmation as a newcomer for Ultimate's DLC or when Ultimate's DLC wraps up and Dixie is not one of them (in that case I will give a short essay pep talk to Dixie fans that are disappointed but plan to support her for the next title).

The Dixie fanbase has a lot of fans with diverse talents. From SeashoreWar's talented artwork, to BirthNote's caretaking of the support topic. While many do appreciate my character support prose and introspective and detailed analyses, I cannot keep doing this forever, nor do I want to. While Dixie Kong being in Smash Bros. is something reminiscent of the dreams I had throughout my childhood and young adulthood (Ridley in Smash Bros., and Roy's return in Smash), it is something I have to relinquish to the rest of you. I feel Ultimate is as beautiful a sendoff for a longtime fan of Smash Bros. such as myself could hope for, and gradually over the course of this year I found myself posting less and less with Ultimate's actual release. I feel with this essay, I can finally pass the baton to the next generation.

It is likely going to be a long and arduous journey Dixie fans. How long that journey ultimately is, or whether it even leads to the destination you are all hoping for (Dixie being a part of the roster for Ultimate or a future installment), only time will tell. I wish you all the best regardless of whether you decide to support Dixie in the months and years ahead, or even if you decide to give up on character support and speculation entirely.

To sum it all up, Dixie Kong is a legendary heroine. She is a character that is only under Samus as far as Nintendo heroines go in terms of legacy and prominence to their own franchise and Nintendo as a whole. She is an exemplary heroine for gaming a whole, a rare heroine whom most of their appeal and charm goes beyond sex appeal or the "waifu factor", and one that also embraces and utilizes her femininity to further enhance her character appeal and endearment. She is a character that has "Mario appeal", able to be appreciated by a diverse array of demographics despite her unconventional design through her personality charm and the fun of her gameplay abilities. This particular resume arguably sets her in a league of her own not just as far as Nintendo characters go, but gaming ones as a whole as well.

Whether Dixie is ever eventually added in or not, Dixie Kong is a Nintendo All-Star. She may be underappreciated, and many not actually know or understand just why she is such an endearing character and worthy addition, but in our hearts she is truly special and the ultimate heroine.

Dixie Kong might very well be The Last Nintendo All-Star, and you know what they say about saving the best for last...

DIXIE KONG FOR SMASH BROS.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Here is what I have written on Dixie's worth:

I long promised an essay in support of Dixie Kong's inclusion in Smash Bros., and I guess this is it (I am sorry if you were expecting something even longer than what you will all are about to read). I will not make much mention of moveset arguments for Dixie Kong, but I think there are plenty of others that can make the argument, and I feel after Piranha Plant, that "moveset potential" is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" style argument. There is a great diversity of ways to which Dixie Kong can be approached as a fighter, from a fully unique one to a semi-clone or even an echo (though I think Ken-style is the only one that really fits). I feel for Dixie Kong that passion and belief about what type of fighter she should be is proportional to just how much passion and interest there is in her. If she was on par with the likes of Waluigi and Geno for requests among the Smash Bubble, she would be universally deemed to be only fitting to be a fully unique fighter. However, with her fanbase and requests in the straits that they are in, she mostly is settled for as an echo fighter addition or semi-clone outside of her most passionate supporters. I do have confidence in Sakurai and his team to faithfully implement Dixie and her appeal regardless of what type of fighter she they ultimately do choose for her (assuming she ever does happen as a fighter). Some of my favorite characters in the Smash Bros. series are semi-clones (like Roy), and I think Dark Samus was captured very well as to who she is despite nearly all of her differences being animation based (there is actually some great subtle references to her source material in them). However, this piece is not to argue about what kind of fighter Dixie should or will be, but rather her merits are, and what she means to Smash Bros., Nintendo, and gaming as a whole.

With all that being said, let me explain just why Dixie Kong is not just Nintendo All-Star, but a gaming all-star as a whole.

Dixie Kong is truly something special. She might not ultimately make Ultimate's roster, but she is still one of Nintendo's best and most iconic heroines. At a time where some people complain about there being no female characters as part of the Fighters Pass, its peculiar that much of this crowd continues to ignore the sub-100 pound monkey in the room. Dixie Kong, is not just one of Nintendo's most iconic and legendary heroines, but among gaming as a whole. She became popular and well known even before Lara Croft and Jill Valentine, and moreover she was popular among boys for reasons beyond sex appeal ("WHOA SHE CAN FLY! LOOK AT HOW SHE CAN SHRED ON HER GUITAR!").

Dixie Kong was groundbreaking. As another Dixie fan noted, Samus might have been Nintendo's first prominent heroine, but Dixie was the first major one to wear her femininity on her sleeve. Back in the 90's, you could definitely be in the dark about what Samus's gender was, Dixie however, was definitely a girl, and a girly girl one at that. She liked the color pink, had long flowing hair, long eyelashes, colored toenails, and cried when she got hit. Everything about this character would make you think that she would not go over well with demographics outside of little girls. However, Dixie Kong was a rare breed of a character. She is among the few that has "Mario appeal". She is a character that manages to be popular and appealing across demographics despite her unorthodox design due to just how fun she is to play as and the charm of her character, just like Mario, whose design is of a portly middle aged mustachioed man in overalls with a high-pitched voice, but is among the most loved and iconic character in all of gaming.

Dixie is a character that embraces her femininity without having to rely on sex appeal or "waifuism", and for that she is not only just one of the best heroines in gaming but also among the most interesting. While she may cry when she got hit, or due a female tween-like pout about being thrown in a crib with Kiddy (DKC3's game over screen), she at the same time subverted tropes by managing to be one of the few Kongs (especially playable Kongs) that never got kidnapped by K. Rool, and moreover, she canonically insulted/sassed him to his face. She is not a support character like most other major prominent female Nintendo characters, but a co-protagonists in two of the Top 10 best selling SNES titles (DKC2 and DKC3). As another Dixie fan put it, she is "cute, cool, bad***".

Dixie is a character that goes beyond "girl Diddy". She has a lot of charm and personality. From sipping a drink in the middle of a journey, to lapping up honey while storming a Zinger stronghold, to taking DK's Switch for herself. Dixie is a character that knows how to smell the roses and enjoy the moment, which is why she does not hesitate to enjoy some honey in an environment full of giant bees, hijack DK's Switch from him, or mock K. Rool to his face. Dixie likes having fun just as much as we have fun playing as her. That is part of her endearment. In many ways, she might possibly be the pinnacle of the characters Rare created (and that truly says something), and it is a shame she basically went a nearly 20 year stretch without any sort of prominent role.

Dixie Kong is not just a character that stands out among heroines, but all heroes. She is a character that managed to simultaneously embrace and subvert tropes, and somehow manage to become one of the most endearing characters within not just her franchise, but gaming as a whole.

While most of the Smash Bros. Bubble continues to basically ignore her, they simply do not know the breadth to which Dixie Kong was a trailblazer and the subtle charm to her character. Dixie in many ways is the female Mario. Unlike most heroines, most of her appeal is not due to sex appeal/"waifu factor", but rather because of her gameplay mechanics and personality, much like Mario is not someone you would initially think of as cool or endearing without having a hands on experience with the character.

Dixie Kong is a character that is exemplary of the term Nintendo All-Star in many ways. She is a showcase for the Nintendo brand as a whole. A character, that like Nintendo, has their net cast wide across demographics despite what the industry conventions are to what "appealing" is. If there is one Nintendo character left to ever be added to Smash Bros., I could not think of a finer Nintendo character for the series to close on than Dixie Kong: The Last Nintendo All-Star.

I re-iterate that Ultimate's roster is absolutely fantastic, and I am extremely grateful to Sakurai and his team for everything that they did for Ultimate from finally adding Ridley to the roster (a childhood dream of mine that went on for nearly 20 years), to bringing back every single veteran (another dream I thought was unlikely to ever happen), to bringing in Castlevania (one of my favorite non-Nintendo franchises, and one to which the Smash Bubble seemed to care little for), and recently bringing in Banjo-Kazooie (a character that is outright owned by a console competitor to Nintendo). Sakurai and his team have increasingly broken through each "impossible" bar, and left us in awe of just what we can expect or what we see as "plausible".

Dixie Kong as a character in many ways is someone who seems "on paper" to be the most obvious character that could be added to Smash Bros. She is a popular Nintendo characters that is prominent within her franchise of origin. Of such a basal quality, Dixie has this one in spades. However, after over 20 years of history to the franchise, Dixie is still conspicuously absent from the roster. Moreover, as time goes on. her prospects of ever being added keep becoming lower and lower. Smash now has gone on to become something than just about Nintendo characters. With Smash 4 and especially Ultimate, its about celebrating gaming as a whole.

Dixie is a character in many ways that completes the circle. When I first learned of Smash Bros., I was very (pleasantly) surprised Samus was part of the roster when every other character on the roster had an upcoming game for the Nintendo 64 at the time except her. Samus beat and exceeded the odds of what most would have put on a roster of 12 Nintendo characters back in 1999. However, regardless of the Metroid series having gone into hiatus during those past five years, there was no denying it, Samus and Metroid were still a major part of Nintendo and their brand. Samus and Dixie Kong were both among my favorite gaming heroes during my childhood (and still are). It was Samus's unexpected presence on the Smash Bros. roster that I even got as overwhelmingly hyped for Smash Bros. even months before the game's international release.

Dixie Kong is a character that I believe in my heart does not just fit the descriptor of Nintendo All-Star, but also Gaming All-Star. She might not have launched a franchise, but she is a character that in many way encapsulates just what charm there is to a character in the medium of gaming. She is a character that manages to have a foot both in her criteria to fit what it took to enter Smash Bros. at the beginning of the series and what it means now (importance to gaming as a whole).

However, just like Samus before her, conventionally she does not seem likely at all. Dixie is not a character even Nintendo fans are clamoring for (or rather the "Smash Bubble"). Dixie might very well never be added to Smash Bros.'s roster (Ultimate or any future installment).

However, even if she is never added, she is still an incredible heroine, and Ultimate's roster is still incredible. However, if by some miracle, and it would be an absolutely incredible miracle, Dixie Kong were added as DLC, it would be one of the greatest miracles of Ultimate's roster yet. Dixie, a character that does not meet the criteria of what is expected for DLC newcomers for Ultimate, might somehow, someway, managed to be selected to be DLC. That would be a miracle on par with Ridley being playable, EVERYONE IS HERE!, and Banjo-Kazooie making it in.

I do not know what Sakurai and his team's interpretation of Dixie Kong as a fighter will be (assuming if it ever does happen), but regardless, I have hope that Sakurai will implement her in a way that captures just what is so endearing and charming about Dixie Kong.

Dixie paradoxically is a character that makes the most sense on paper as a Smash Bros. addition, yet is also unlikely to be added in the future even among actual Nintendo characters. It is poetic this unconventional circumstances matches her unconventional appeal.

Sakurai and his team have my gratitude for making Ultimate the way they did (aside from the things I mentioned before, there are even small touches that I am grateful for like giving my favorite F-Zero character Pico, a role in the World of Light) , but like RomanceDawn, I have one more request (and it is the same as his), and that is to the complete the circle. Make Dixie Kong join the fight. Samus, one of Nintendo's AND gaming's biggest and beloved heroines joined the battle at the dawn of the franchise (the very dawn of it, she was even among the four fighters to the demo pitch Sakurai made for the original Smash Bros.). Ultimate in many ways is the apex of the Smash Bros. series. Dixie Kong joining the fight now, while long overdue, would be a moving swansong to what is shaping up to Masahiro Sakurai's magnum opus.

Dixie Kong is a character that epitomizes what Smash Bros. is, then and now. She is important to both Nintendo and gaming.

Dixie is a character that I have been very fond of going back over 20 years ago. My Dixie Kong figurine was one of my favorite toys from my childhood and was consistently near my bedside as I went to sleep every night. Having a physical object to enjoy and play with was something that I wish had extended to Samus, my other favorite gaming hero from childhood. However, I was happy to have just Dixie Kong (and Yoshi) to play with and enjoy, Now 20 years later, I am grateful that Sakurai and his team have added in not just nearly all of my favorite Nintendo characters but also my favorite gaming characters in general. Dixie this time though is the one not part of the toy box.

For many of Dixie's fans and supporters, the love and support for her runs deep. BirthNote, has been courteous enough to chronicle many of these stories into the opening post of this thread. Much like Roy (another character I deeply wanted to see, although to return), much of his appeal was not easily apparent to those who did not experience him, but rather from those who played with him hands-on and thus got appreciate his personality charm and gameplay flair. Dixie is much in the same way, to many people who never or barely played DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze, Dixie is just "girl Diddy" just like Roy was "fire Marth". However, I think the comparisons are even more unfair because Dixie's differences from Diddy are much readily apparent than Roy and Marth's were.

Thus, even if I were to craft the best prose ever written on the merits of Dixie Kong's value and worth to be a part of Ultimate's roster, it never ever would be enough to grow her fanbase and the passion for her possible inclusion. Words may touch, but actions MOVE. The best way to truly appreciate Dixie is to enjoy her source material. She is one of the two protagonists for both DKC2 and DKC3, with the former regarded as one of the best 2D platformers of all time (and the latter a very underrated game, and I personally believe to be among the best platformers for the SNES even if it is not quite as good as DKC2, it is stronger than the first DKC entry). In Tropical Freeze, she is arguably the most helpful of all the support Kongs and the game itself is argued to be the pinnacle of 2D platformers as well.

I said almost a year ago (back in December), that Dixie Kong was a treasure to the future. She might be the last long running Nintendo character left that is both a main character to their franchise (as in actual main protagonist level) that is still not part of the roster to the Smash Bros. series. Going forward Dixie is a throwback to the possible newcomer pools that Smash Bros. fans who anticipated Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 had access to. The likes of Wario, Diddy Kong, Ridley, King Dedede, Olimar, Little Mac, Meta Knight, K. Rool, Ganondorf, Zelda, Bowser, Peach, and Bowser Jr. have all been added in now. Dixie Kong (and arguably the Toads) are all that is left from the ages of where characters had to fit "the old criteria" (namely being an integral character to a major Nintendo franchise). In an era where the most wanted characters are retro Nintendo characters, side Nintendo characters, and third-parties, Dixie Kong is a throwback to the very beginning of this legendary game franchise for character requests. She is a character that Smash fans back in 2001 would agree deserves to be in Smash Bros., which is something that I think few other characters left at this point could say (again, aside from Toad), and would be surprised to find out, nearly 20 years later, still did not make it in yet.

Dixie might not have much internet "cool kids" saying she is a great possible addition, or a massive online fanbase, but she is an absolutely legendary character, and I think even if I might not follow a future installment that does end up adding her in down the road, I think that it is something that Nintendo and Smash Bros. fans who were not around for Melee, Brawl, or Smash 4 newcomer support periods should have, an unequivocal Nintendo All-Star to support and champion . Sometimes the shiniest jewel goes unnoticed.

However, my personal hope, my hope beyond hope, is that somehow Sakuai and his team once again make the impossible possible and decide to implement Dixie Kong even though she is not a third-party character or promoting an upcoming Nintendo title. Her addition would not only be unprecedented as DLC newcomers go, but it would fittingly show how Smash Bros. has come full circle. One of its first newcomers being Samus, and if Dixie Kong were added, one of the last, for what is arguably the culmination for the franchise and what it has been building toward. It would be perhaps the last miracle (or one of the last) of Ultimate's many miracles.

I am not going to get my hopes up though. I expect only third-party characters as DLC (Geno still counts as third-party). I have very limited free time, and I think at this point in time, it is a poor usage of my time to write up grandiose and passionate posts about a character whom I can do basically nothing in terms of moving the needle towards their possible inclusion. I have been a fan of Smash Bros. for over 20 years, a member of the online Smash Bros. community for over 18 years, and part of SmashBoards for nearly 13 years (going to be 13 next week). I have gotten nearly everything I ever could have wanted or hoped for in relation to Smash Bros. Ridley being a part of the Smash roster was a childhood dream of mine that I thought was likely never going to be realized after Sakurai's own statements on him back in November 2014. Not just Ridley, but so many other things with Ultimate. I have won the lottery multiple times with this title, and yet I still am asking for more. As I said before, I have been spoiled rotten, and I think the best way I can show gratitude moving forward is through moving on.

If there is any profound news in relation to Dixie's prospects made in the future I will comment on it, but I think what I have said here will be my final profound word in relation to Dixie unless in the event of either a confirmation as a newcomer for Ultimate's DLC or when Ultimate's DLC wraps up and Dixie is not one of them (in that case I will give a short essay pep talk to Dixie fans that are disappointed but plan to support her for the next title).

The Dixie fanbase has a lot of fans with diverse talents. From SeashoreWar's talented artwork, to BirthNote's caretaking of the support topic. While many do appreciate my character support prose and introspective and detailed analyses, I cannot keep doing this forever, nor do I want to. While Dixie Kong being in Smash Bros. is something reminiscent of the dreams I had throughout my childhood and young adulthood (Ridley in Smash Bros., and Roy's return in Smash), it is something I have to relinquish to the rest of you. I feel Ultimate is as beautiful a sendoff for a longtime fan of Smash Bros. such as myself could hope for, and gradually over the course of this year I found myself posting less and less with Ultimate's actual release. I feel with this essay, I can finally pass the baton to the next generation.

It is likely going to be a long and arduous journey Dixie fans. How long that journey ultimately is, or whether it even leads to the destination you are all hoping for (Dixie being a part of the roster for Ultimate or a future installment), only time will tell. I wish you all the best regardless of whether you decide to support Dixie in the months and years ahead, or even if you decide to give up on character support and speculation entirely.

To sum it all up, Dixie Kong is a legendary heroine. She is a character that is only under Samus as far as Nintendo heroines go in terms of legacy and prominence to their own franchise and Nintendo as a whole. She is an exemplary heroine for gaming a whole, a rare heroine whom most of their appeal and charm goes beyond sex appeal or the "waifu factor", and one that also embraces and utilizes her femininity to further enhance her character appeal and endearment. She is a character that has "Mario appeal", able to be appreciated by a diverse array of demographics despite her unconventional design through her personality charm and the fun of her gameplay abilities. This particular resume arguably sets her in a league of her own not just as far as Nintendo characters go, but gaming ones as a whole as well.

Whether Dixie is ever eventually added in or not, Dixie Kong is a Nintendo All-Star. She may be underappreciated, and many not actually know or understand just why she is such an endearing character and worthy addition, but in our hearts she is truly special and the ultimate heroine.

Dixie Kong might very well be The Last Nintendo All-Star, and you know what they say about saving the best for last...

DIXIE KONG FOR SMASH BROS.

No but seriously, this is a good essay and gives me a good idea in what some might see in her. Hell, I'd be down for her since I love DKC Tropical. I just got pissed at the guy for inciting debate with vague arguments and a condescending tone relying on other peoples posts, but you're very objective, respectful, and indepth. Thanks for responding. Makes me want Dixie now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the problem with getting more women and racially diversifying the cast lies less with the idea of it, and more to do with the theoretical execution of it based on the current breakdown of the games industry.

I apologize in advance for the length. However, given the sensitive nature of this topic, I wanted to be as precise in both my speech and logic as possible when sharing my thoughts on the matter.
Counting Sheik as female, the current gender ratio for the roster is approximately 47 males to 12 females (not counting characters who have alternate gendered costumes like Robin or Pokemon Trainer, genderless characters like Dark Samus or R.O.B., characters who represent a species rather than a specific individual like the Pokemon or Piranha Plant, or the Ice Climbers and Banjo & Kazooie who have a member of each gender).

Likewise, nearly the entire cast is white, east asian, or ambiguously between those two, with the only characters not falling into those camps are Pokemon Trainer, Villager (who both have alts of multiple races), and Ganondorf (who is debatable, given how he's technically a fantasy race).

So, it can be seen that Smash is pretty homogenous in terms of race and gender. However, the question then becomes, what do you do about that? The obvious answer is put more females and more racially diverse people into the cast. That's a lot easier said than done, honestly.

Most of Nintendo's leading ladies are already in the game, such as Peach, Daisy, Samus, Lucina, and Isabelle. Off the top of my head, the only remaining female Nintendo characters I really think have much of a chance at this point are Ayumi Tachibana, Style Savvy Girl, and Edelgard. Likewise, there aren't that many third party franchises with female leads, so that's a pretty dead end as well. Out of all the non-Nintendo games I can think of, the only major female leads I can really think of Jill Valentine (unless you count Chris or Leon as the lead of Resident Evil), Lara Croft, Shantae, Nakoruru (unless you count Haohmaru as the lead of Samurai Showdown), and Kasumi (unless you count Ryu Hayabusa as the lead of Dead or Alive).

Games with non-white/asian protagonists are even harder to come by. The only one I can think of is CJ from Grand Theft Auto. Likewise, the only Nintendo character period I can think of that fits that description is Anthony Higgs from Metroid: Other M.

So, then the question becomes, do you give characters in these categories priority over other candidates who may be more popular or could translate themselves in a more interesting way? Ultimately, that's a subjective judgement based on personal values. However, I don't think its as easy as simply pressing the "add underrepresented groups to Smash button", given how the imbalance between these groups will still be relatively vast even if Sakurai were to go out of his way to add characters to solve this issue.

Likewise, I think it's the fact these groups don't have an abundance of candidates that makes the Smash community less supportive of them as opposed to a quota like "villains" or "side characters". I don't think the movement to get villains into Smash came about because people really liked the idea of playing as the bad guys, but instead came because a handful of villains were really popular and people wanted to play as those characters. That's why a lot of people stopped playing the "Smash needs more villains!" quota once Ridley and K. Rool joined the roster. There wasn't this great sentiment that Smash finally had enough bad guys, a lot of people just supported it as a vehicle for those two in particular and withdrew their support once they got what they wanted. Likewise, the side character quota didn't really come up until recently, when it was felt that characters like Waluigi and Bandana Waddle Dee had a realistic shot now that most franchises have their main cast in order. Put simply, I don't think much of the Smash fanbase will support the "female" and "racial diversity" quotas until they have some popular faces who fall under those labels.

TL;DR: There is a gender and racial imbalance in Smash Bros. However, the issue lies in the the lack of prominent females and non-white/asian people that Smash could really draw from. Likewise, most of the Smash Bros. community isn't super supportive of the idea given this lack of prominent candidates to draw from.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh, to be honest, my female character wishes have been dashed since day one.

What's the point of me being here anymore if it'll only add to depression?

It's hopeless. I'm calling it right now, you guys are having Doomabusa, yay. Meanwhile I'm sulking about why gaming history is written by the men and leaving out the female demographic.

I'm just feeling sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom