• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I certainly understand why they used that costume, but the fact remains I think it's a bit of an oddity when Joker's primary thieving outfit is the one they use for almost all the promotional materials.

Not saying I'm opposed to it, mind you, just that if Joker could get something as minor as that, one of Terry's defining games and a big SNK fan favorite should definitely get at least something akin to it.
Well, like I said, Joker's school outfit isn't really minor..you arguably spend more time in Joker's student outfit then you spend in his Phantom Thief outfit..its even the outfit featured on the covers for Persona 5's standard edition and Day One Steelbook. As for promotional materials, its actually almost even between depicting Joker as a student and a Phantom Thief. This also goes for Persona 5 the Animation. It also has appeared alongside Joker in all of his appearances from Persona 5, Persona 5 the Animation, Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight, Persona Q2, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Catherine Full Body, and will obviously be in Persona 5 Royal and very likely for Persona 5 Scramble.
Including Joker's student outfit isn't really that much of an oddity considering its importance to Joker's story and representing the equally important 'real world' portion of Persona 5. Its certainly less of an 'oddity' than Mario's two alts, Link's Tunic of the Wild alt, Cloud's Advent Children alt, or various other alts that have less importance to the character than Joker's student alt has..not to say any of those are 'unimportant', mind you, just saying.

By comparison, Garou: Mark of the Wolf may be one of Terry's defining games, but its not an outfit he's well known for. When people think 'Terry Bogard', they think red & white hat with some logo on it (usually Fatal Fury), jeans, white shirt, and a red shirt over it. Its his primary type of outfit has been used in almost all of his appearances across Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, and various crossovers.
Don't get me wrong, I do think that if Terry gets an alt, it should be his Garou outfit (with hat added if needed), and that it would be GREAT if he had one..but saying that Joker's student outfit is 'minor' seems disingenuous.
Joker still does his "adjusting glove" pose when in the Shujin uniform. Unless he's wearing flesh gloves, Garou Terry having a useless hat animation isn't a huge deal.
Well, it could be handwaved for Joker as him 'adjusting the cuffs' on his blazer.

D

Deleted member

Alright. We all know that Terry is Hat Ken (or buff Pokemon Trainer according to the young Japanese audience), Banjo-Kazooie is Duck Hunt 2.0, Hero is Fire Emblem Goku, and Joker is edgy Shulk.

For the sake of having fun, what dumb and silly nicknames/comparisons would you probably see for certain characters? For example, Heihachi is Boomer Ryu, Hayabusa is Black Sheik, Geno is Wooden Mega Man, Master Chief and Doom Slayer are Green Samus, and Tracer is yellow Bayo.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Alright. We all know that Terry is Hat Ken (or buff Pokemon Trainer according to the young Japanese audience), Banjo-Kazooie is Duck Hunt 2.0, Hero is Fire Emblem Goku, and Joker is edgy Shulk.

For the sake of having fun, what dumb and silly nicknames/comparisons would you probably see for certain characters? For example, Heihachi is Boomer Ryu, Hayabusa is Black Sheik, Geno is Wooden Mega Man, Master Chief and Doom Slayer are Green Samus, and Tracer is yellow Bayo.
Huh... How would we call Phoenix Wright?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Lloyd is Dual-Wielding Marth.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Dante is just Sword Ken

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Steve is blocky villager, Crash is orange sonic, and Waluigi is an assist trophy (i'm not crying, you're crying)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Elma is Rule 63 Military Dante. Or if we’re counting comparisons with characters already on the roster, Dual-Wielding Space Lucina.
Octoling is Cuter And Slightly More Expensive Inkling (face it you totally spent a total of $100 getting both base Splatoon 2 and Octo Expansion)
Gunvolt is Electricity Cloud
Amaterasu is Artsy Wolf

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh also

KOS-MOS is Waifu Mega Man. The ONLY acceptable meme nickname for her don’t @ me

KillerCage

Smash Master

Leon is gun-welding Snake.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

Here's a few I've come up with:

2B (Nier: Automata)- Robo Bayo
Isaac (Golden Sun) - Blonde Marth
Akira Howard/Legionis (Astral Chain) - Popo Marth/Lucina or Jotaro/Jolyne (for Jojo comparisons)
Edelgard (FE3H) - Axe Lucina
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou) - Moe Palutena

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm more surprised by how people seem to be treating this as anything less than ordinary for Activision Blizzard. They've been pushing every conceivably boundary of human decency for a good while now. Not necessarily specifically related to China, but just rampant toxicity in the work environments that should probably be classified as abusive, firing employees despite great profits and only hiring temporary workers to deprive them of benefits, actively promoting ****loads of gambling through microtransactions and absurd pricing models for games, and their own often times problematic notions of world affairs/patriotism/etc. in games like COD. I mean, hell, the infamous "No Russian" mission in Modern Warfare 2 is a decade old. Activision and Blizzard are companies grossly used to prioritizing profit above all else, and they have barely shied away from it in the past. Yes, their actions deserve significant criticism, but this was arguably one of the easier things to see coming. The whole gaming market is jumping at the chance to expand in China, and that means bowing down more directly to the Chinese government in most instances. It will only get worse from here I suspect. The worst companies will continue to make the worst decisions, while a great deal of less visible ones will continue their dealings and appeasement behind closed doors.

As for Crash Bandicoot and Tracer, my stance on them hasn't changed. As I mentioned before, Activision Blizzard has been a pretty awful company for ages and I've reckoned with that in the past personally to still support characters (I just can't emphasize enough how this doesn't change my opinion on them, it disappoints and frustrates me greatly, but it's a disappointment born of not being able to expect anything less than awful from them). There are still dedicated, passionate, and human developers behind Crash and Overwatch, who do care about their titles and do at least have more respect for human rights than the executives at the top of their company. I'm not going to throw them out just because some executives got antsy about criticism of China and pulled on all out PR backfire. Crash wasn't even an Activision IP to begin with and Jeff Kaplan and his team just aren't the ones responsible here. I doubt the money they'd make from characters in Smash would even make up for what they'll probably lose in revenue from this whole **** up anyway.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Carmen Sandiego is just Hat Bayonetta/Joker.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Waluigi is an assist trophy
Nintendo's Robbie Rotten. On that note:

Isaac: Earthbender Marth
Samurai Goroh: Fat Marth
Takamaru: Samurai Marth
Lyn: Bow Lucina
Black Knight: Marth Vader
Zero: Robo Cloud-Roy
Shadow: Edgy Sonic
Akira: Extremely Hard Ryu
Spring Man: Nintendo's Dhalsim
Eevee: Fox-Rabbit Shulk
Gardevoir: Green Zelda
Oshawott: Otter Squirtle
Bewear: Bear Ganondorf
Togedemaru: Sonichu
Mimikyu: Ghost Pikachu

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Office Worker Captain Falcon
You are a goddamn genius.

I'm more surprised by how people seem to be treating this as anything less than ordinary for Activision Blizzard. They've been pushing every conceivably boundary of human decency for a good while now. Not necessarily specifically related to China, but just rampant toxicity in the work environments that should probably be classified as abusive, firing employees despite great profits and only hiring temporary workers to deprive them of benefits, actively promoting ****loads of gambling through microtransactions and absurd pricing models for games, and their own often times problematic notions of world affairs/patriotism/etc. in games like COD. I mean, hell, the infamous "No Russian" mission in Modern Warfare 2 is a decade old. Activision and Blizzard are companies grossly used to prioritizing profit above all else, and they have barely shied away from it in the past. Yes, their actions deserve significant criticism, but this was arguably one of the easier things to see coming. The whole gaming market is jumping at the chance to expand in China, and that means bowing down more directly to the Chinese government in most instances. It will only get worse from here I suspect. The worst companies will continue to make the worst decisions, while a great deal of less visible ones will continue their dealings and appeasement behind closed doors.

As for Crash Bandicoot and Tracer, my stance on them hasn't changed. As I mentioned before, Activision Blizzard has been a pretty awful company for ages and I've reckoned with that in the past personally to still support characters (I just can't emphasize enough how this doesn't change my opinion on them, it disappoints and frustrates me greatly, but it's a disappointment born of not being able to expect anything less than awful from them). There are still dedicated, passionate, and human developers behind Crash and Overwatch, who do care about their titles and do at least have more respect for human rights than the executives at the top of their company. I'm not going to throw them out just because some executives got antsy about criticism of China and pulled on all out PR backfire. Crash wasn't even an Activision IP to begin with and Jeff Kaplan and his team just aren't the ones responsible here. I doubt the money they'd make from characters in Smash would even make up for what they'll probably lose in revenue from this whole **** up anyway.
You don't think siding with an authoritarian regime is a couple of steps removed from microtransactions and workforce abuses?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Sora: Key Cloud
Byleth: Green Marth
Rex & Pyra: Blue Shulk & Short-Hair Zamus
2B: Maid Shulk
Zero: Sword Mega Man

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Activision Blizzard is justifiably in the news for siding with China's censorship, however they are far from the only American company that does this.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1181974464516374528?s=19

(Can't embed the tweet cuz it has a swear, but only one, so click ahead and look at the tweet)

Of note, Riot Games (which, as the tweet demonstrates, censors the words "Hong Kong") is 100% owned by Tencent / China, while Activision Blizzard is only 5% owned by them. So if this news affected your outlook on an Activision Blizzard character, we might as well bury the fun League of Legends character talk we had a few days ago.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
How does everyone feel about our third JRPG character on a five character pass? Isn't it a bit excessive?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

I took some of these from above posters, but for the most part these are original

Doom Slayer: Big gun Marth
Geno: Wooden Marth
Ryu Hayabusa: Ninja Marth
Heihachi: Fist Marth
Master Chief: Tech-Marine Marth
Lloyd Irving: Dual Wielding Marth
Phoenix Wright: Lawyer Marth
Rex: Anime Marth
Sora: Marth but he forgot his car keys
Dante: Cool Marth
Travis: 4th Wall Breaking Marth
Resident Evil: Gun Marth (Leon, Chris) OR Gun Lucina (Jill)
Professor Layton: Puzzle Marth
Edelgard: Axe Marth
Byleth: Whipsword Marth
Akira: Jojo's Marth
Waluigi: Not Marth
2B: Waifu Marth
KOS-MOS: Mecha Waifu Marth Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura
Isaac: Blonde Marth
Elma: Mech Waifu Marth (different from Mecha Waifu Marth)
Steve: Blocky Marth
Crash: Saturday Morning Cartoon Marth
Tracer: Anti-democratic Marth
Carmen Sandiego: Thief Marth
Lara Croft: Female Nathan Drake Gun Marth
Kat: Gravity Marth
Quote: Robot Gun Marth
Miku Hatsune: Musical Lucina (since Musical Marth is already taken)
Reimu: Japanese Marth
Paper Mario: Paper Marth(io)
Bandana Dee: Spear Marth
Chorus Kids: Music Marths
How does everyone feel about our third JRPG character on a five character pass? Isn't it a bit excessive?
The JRPG genre is also massively popular, especially in Japan. If you're referring to Tales of, I've written about its popularity in my The Definitive Case for Lloyd Irving. I'd say a third JRPG character is warranted.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The JRPG genre is also massively popular, especially in Japan. If you're referring to Tales of, I've written about its popularity in my The Definitive Case for Lloyd Irving. I'd say a third JRPG character is warranted.
In additional DLC, yes. But it's still excessive in a five character pass.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Activision Blizzard is justifiably in the news for siding with China's censorship, however they are far from the only American company that does this.

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1181974464516374528?s=19

(Can't embed the tweet cuz it has a swear, but only one, so click ahead and look at the tweet)

Of note, Riot Games (which, as the tweet demonstrates, censors the words "Hong Kong") is 100% owned by Tencent / China, while Activision Blizzard is only 5% owned by them. So if this news affected your outlook on an Activision Blizzard character, we might as well bury the fun League of Legends character talk we had a few days ago.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

While push has yet to come to shove, it's basically just the casters beings antsy since one of the competing teams literally has the words "Hong Kong" in its name. Riot isn't doing any actual censoring, but they're not likely going to do something as insane as letting a political stance on that situation air.

Either way, none of this affects anyone's Smash chances. The decision would have been made months before any of this happened, and someone like Thrall or Ezreal could get into Smash even before this ever blows over. If Nintendo ever decides to cancel a character over this, then that'd be a new precedent entirely, but you could only argue wistfully for such a thing to happen.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
In additional DLC, yes. But it's still excessive in a five character pass.
I really don't think Sakurai and Nintendo were thinking of gently balancing genres represented in the pass. They've just been adding whoever they believe will reach the most people both in and outside the core fanbase.

Besides, what's it really matter if we're getting more DLC besides the pass? Like, honestly.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
What's it really matter if we're getting more DLC besides the pass?

Like, honestly.
Mainly because most people bought these characters as a set.

Sorry to be so aggressive, I'm just upset that my most wanted character is probably de confirmed until the end of time, since Namco for some reason is super conservative with its' character additions.

I really don't think Sakurai and Nintendo were thinking of gently balancing genres represented in the pass. They've just been adding whoever they believe will reach the most people both in and outside the core fanbase.

Besides, what's it really matter if we're getting more DLC besides the pass? Like, honestly.
Remember the five were decided before the decision to make more DLC. That could color what character would be likely.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

While push has yet to come to shove, it's basically just the casters beings antsy since one of the competing teams literally has the words "Hong Kong" in its name. Riot isn't doing any actual censoring, but they're not likely going to do something as insane as letting a political stance on that situation air.

Either way, none of this affects anyone's Smash chances. The decision would have been made months before any of this happened, and someone like Thrall or Ezreal could get into Smash even before this ever blows over. If Nintendo ever decides to cancel a character over this, then that'd be a new precedent entirely, but you could only argue wistfully for such a thing to happen.
For me it wasn't about "this affects their chances", I was just seeing how people who play Blizzard games were understandably soured on the possibility of an Overwatch character making it in, and remembered that we talked about possible LoL characters as well a few days ago. So I felt like posting the tweet to let people who may have been unaware know that LoL is owned by a company that is 100% owned by Tencent / China rather than Activision Blizzard's 5%.

Also the tweet you linked does clear up the issue, but Riot Games is also known for doing lots of other bad stuff that's pretty well publicized. I suppose the workplace issues aren't really related to China though.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Company scumminess is always going to affect people's opinions about inclusions, but none of that really stopped Konami characters from getting back into Smash at the peak of Konami enmity. We've got no precedent for a company's moral standing being a factor in Smash inclusion.

Riot's been fully owned by Tencent for years already, and yet managed to not bend over nearly as hard as Blizzard just did. Perhaps it might, if it ever came to that, but I doubt anyone's looking forward to it.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

Jill/Leon: Joker Sans Persona
Hayabusa: Greninja's Humansona
Carmen Sandiego: Red Girl Joker
Frisk: Villager - "I can be your angle or your devil" Edition
Kiryu: Crime Ryu
2B: Robot Lucina
Master Chief: Green Samus
Doomguy: Angry Green Samus
Sora: Cloud After Becoming the Master of Unlocking
Byleth: Marth Belmont
Travis: Otaku Ike
Steve: Block Link

KatKit

Smash Lord
I can come up with creative moveset concepts, various legitimate reasons for her inclusion, etc... but when it comes to silly Smash nicknames, I can't think of anything for The Savvy Stylist. Uh, human... Wendy? I got nothing. D:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can come up with creative moveset concepts, various legitimate reasons for her inclusion, etc... but when it comes to silly Smash nicknames, I can't think of anything for The Savvy Stylist. D:
She'd just be a human Isabelle, anyway.

I can come up with creative moveset concepts, various legitimate reasons for her inclusion, etc... but when it comes to silly Smash nicknames, I can't think of anything for The Savvy Stylist. Uh, human... Wendy? I got nothing. D:
Wii Fit Trainer on the Town

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Doomguy: Angry Green Samus
I will never get over the fact that the legitimate canon reason Doom Slayer is able to survive everything he has is because he's just too damn pissed off to die.

10/10 lore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom