• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

It's almost been one year since arguably the most infamous "leak" in Nintendo history. Shoutout Ken and Duck Hunt's echo for making it into the game.

If you could pick one Grinch character to get into the game, whod it be? I think Chorus Kids would've been a crazy a** character.

Your choices: Isaac, Shadow, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, and Geno.
Need it be said again? It's Geno boi until the day I die. I'd gladly take Isaac though.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It's almost been one year since arguably the most infamous "leak" in Nintendo history. Shoutout Ken and Duck Hunt's echo for making it into the game.

If you could pick one Grinch character to get into the game, whod it be? I think Chorus Kids would've been a crazy a** character.

Chorus Kids, no questions asked.

Still kinda miffed that they were part of a very major Smash related rumor not once, but twice (Gematsu and Grinch), yet they (or any sort of RH rep) have yet to get actually get in.

And to think we were very close to getting some RH love in Smash 4

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How about Rayman?

I think it’s actually very likely that Spirits will promoted and he would be one of the top contenders for it.

I also find it suspicious that he lacks an online icon while Shantae has one.
If any Spirits are getting promoted, it's either Geno or Rex & Pyra.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rayman, and I'd say he was likely if this were Sm4sh DLC, but I feel like he's been powercreeped hard by Ultimate's DLC. At this point I feel like Ezio would be a better Ubisoft character.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I worry on how the Chinese Government could get involved if Crash, Tracer etc was in.
I doubt it would change anything since Smash would just be using one of their characters and that's it. It's not like the Chinese government would force Nintendo to change Smash completely or something. Also we have Terry who is technically owned by China since 37Games (one of China's biggest browser-based companies) is the parent company of SNK. So in a way we already have Chinese-involvement in Smash.

If anything, Nintendo wanting to bring the Switch to China via Tencent should be more concerning when it comes to how Nintendo might act in the future.

I would feel really disgusted if Fighter's Pass character #5 was from them.
I mean the Fighters Pass characters were already decided on last year so no one is really to blame if it actually happens.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
It's hard for me to have distaste for Crash because of the **** Activision Blizzard pulled. Crash is Naughty Dog's baby. They as a developer fought Activision to retain the character design they desired. I'll put down WoW Classic, sure. But I'd play the living hell out of Crash. Activision has always been a money-hungry publisher. (Does suck they hate free speech, tho.)

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
If I had to pick one more Grinch survivor? Geno or Isaac, I personally want Shadow more but he’s only an Echo.

If any Spirits are getting promoted, it's either Geno or Rex & Pyra.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rayman, and I'd say he was likely if this were Sm4sh DLC, but I feel like he's been powercreeped hard by Ultimate's DLC. At this point I feel like Ezio would be a better Ubisoft character.
Ezio won’t get in before Rayman.
Besides the fact that the latter is far more requested, the cartoony mascot is always chosen first when it comes to 3rd Parties.

-:ultsonic: got in before :ultbayonetta:&:ultjoker:
-:ultpacman:got in before Lloyd and Heihachi
-:ultmegaman: got in before :ultryu:&:ultken:
-:ultbanjokazooie: got in before Master Chief.

The only exceptions to this were :ultcloud:&:ulthero: before Slime and :ultsnake::ultsimon:&:ultrichter: before Bomberman but the point still stands.

That said, I’m completely fine with Ezio as a second Ubisoft character.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If I had to pick one more Grinch survivor? Geno or Isaac, I personally want Shadow more but he’s only an Echo.

Besides the fact that the latter is far more requested, the cartoony mascot is always chosen first when it comes to 3rd Parties.

The only exceptions to this were :ultcloud:&:ulthero: before Slime and :ultsnake::ultsimon:&:ultrichter: before Bomberman but the point still stands.

Terry isn't exactly a cartoony mascot, but a mascot nonetheless. This is just a fan rule. If the SNK rep had to be someone cartoonier we'd get the Metal Slug crew first.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well thanks to what Activision Blizzard did. I really REALLY do not want any of their characters joining Smash, this includes Crash. Compared to other gaming controversies, What they have done is very disgusting and I worry on how the Chinese Government could get involved if Crash, Tracer etc was in. Not only that but I refuse to give those Chinese Government bootlickers any of my money and I would feel really disgusted if Fighter's Pass character #5 was from them.
I doubt that an Activision character getting into Smash would lead to the Chinese Government putting their hands into Smash. Especially considering that Tencent isn't even a majority stakeholder in Blizzard. It's not like the Chinese Government made Blizzard do it. They did it on their own.

Ultimately Blizzard's decision came down to supporting the burgeoning Chinese market over basic human rights. Horribly immoral and against their company values? Yes. Prude business decision? Yes.

Sari makes a good point too:
If anything, Nintendo wanting to bring the Switch to China via Tencent should be more concerning when it comes to how Nintendo might act in the future.

I mean the Fighters Pass characters were already decided on last year so no one is really to blame if it actually happens.
At this point, what's going to happen will happen.

On the point about Nintendo wanting to bring the Switch to China via Tencent, I'm not even worried about that since Nintendo of China is going to be completely different from Nintendo of America, Japan, Europe, etc. It's always been that way. At the end of the day it's business.

Is that the point you're going to use for Rayman? A point that has two incredibly notable exceptions?

I'll concede the popularity point, but the cartoon mascot getting in first (except when they don't)? That seems like another arbitrary fan pattern to me, except this time it's as shaky as Pac-Man in the clouds.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
It's hard for me to have distaste for Crash because of the **** Activision Blizzard pulled. Crash is Naughty Dog's baby. They as a developer fought Activision to retain the character design they desired. I'll put down WoW Classic, sure. But I'd play the living hell out of Crash. Activision has always been a money-hungry publisher. (Does suck they hate free speech, tho.)

Well hopefully the massive PR disaster puts them in fiancial trouble and hopefully they would end up selling Crash and Spyro to better companies.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Terry got in before the more cartoony Metal Slug crew as well, this is just a fan rule.
Never said it was an actual factor, just something that usually happens which I noticed plus SNK technically lacks an actual mascot or any sort of platforming hero.

Metal Slug’s artstyle is definitely more cartoonish in a Mario/Earthbound esque vibe but not necessarily as an animal/thingamajig like Sonic, Banjo, or Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well hopefully the massive PR disaster puts them in fiancial trouble and hopefully they would end up selling Crash and Spyro to better companies.
The Blizzard division being boycotted would do nothing to Crash and Spyro and regardless of ****ty choices done by the higher ups, game devs at Activision already have it bad enough, so no need to wish their company adds another reason to mistreat them

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
The Hong Kong thing is entirely on Blizzard though, it’s funny enough how an Overwatch character getting in was already despised by a majority of the community but if anyone else needs another to reason to hate Tracer in Smash, this is it lol.

It’s a good thing Crash has absolutely nothing to do with his since he isn’t from Blizzard and even if Activistion themselves played a part in this discourse, I doubt it effects anything in the long run since the DLC was already decided on.

KatKit

Smash Lord

Aside from the fact that they didn't even exist until after Sonic's inclusion, Bayo was added in Smash after Nintendo published her games, and Altus wasn't apart of Sega until much later, too.

Heihachi might've gotten in before Pacman, but Sakurai couldn't figure out how to implement his movement at the time.

The cartoony mascot thing is silly and inaccurate. You even provided counter examples, but Terry is another one.

Estellecan'tstandhere.jpg

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Contradicting much?

But yeah, this seems nothing more than a really dumb fan theory

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

All of them. The Grinch was a fantastic roster.

If I had to pick one, I'd be unorthodox and go with Mach Rider. Everyone else will probably get in eventually, Mach Rider not necessarily.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

...There's more exceptions to the rule than the rule itself tho...

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
...I need to read my damn replies before I post them.

Alright already I’m wrong, let’s move on and talk about something else.

Like Doomguy and Ryu :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Shameless Nihon Falcom propaganda, but I have literal in-game Estelle Bright quotes saved for any occasion in this thread.

Tired about a character being discussed?

Feel the urge to correct someone?

There's even one if fighter #5 turns out to be yet another guy:

No idea where I'm going with this, but I'm going to start using these to save time.
What this means to me is put Silver Will in Smash

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I dunno, I think they'd go for Mr. Geometry Head over a guy who's intentionally super plain.
James Sunderland is the protagonist of Silent Hill 2 and I argue that every new series in Smash Bros starts off with the protagonist first. Even Pikachu can be considered a protagonist if you take Pokemon Yellow into account. Even if you don't count Pikachu there are many more series in Smash Bros that follow this pattern.

So if we're getting a Silent Hill character, it'll most certainly be a protagonist of a Silent Hill game.

lol, I just think of that while I was reading your post, that would be really funny hahaha

Silent Hill 2 is one of my all time favourites, but I don't know... James in Smash would be SO bizarre. The same goes for Pyramid Head. It would be cool? Of course, but maybe a stage or an assist trohpy would be the best way to represent the franchise.
At this point I guess Silent Hill is the next option if we're gonna get a DLC character from Konami, but it would be feel strange to me haha.
I do agree with this since I think James Sunderland is too realistic for my tastes like with the Dovahkiin and Geralt (If he is possible) but it'd be funny to whack characters upside the head with a lead pipe.

I'd say Mach Rider would be a pretty cool character who rides on top of his Motorcycle. He'd have like a forward air where he sticks the back part of his bike at his opponent and if it connects, he drives off of them. He has access to guns on his bike and could even take parts from the Excite Bike game itself.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

To this day until further notice. Both:ultken:and:ultbanjokazooie:are the sole survivors of the Grinch Leak.

D

Deleted member

While it would have no impact on wether a character gets in or on Nintendo as a whole at all, I can't really blame someone if their opinion of a Blizzard character was changed or shaped based on current events.
"I dislike Blizzard on principle and don't want to see them represented in Smash" is at least a little bit more understandable than most other arguements against it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
4th parties don't exist.

The definition of 4th parties make no sense.
It's shorthand. Everyone in the Smash community knows exactly what it means. Therefor it is perfectly serving it's purpose.

Stop trying to die on the hill fighting slang.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you could pick one Grinch character to get into the game, whod it be?

I picked Banjo & Kazooie. I got Banjo & Kazooie.

The only reason I'm sticking with Geno now is because he's a loose end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I don't get why people seem to believe Ken was somehow predicted by a fake leak when Ken ACTUALLY got leaked like a month before that fake leak popped up. Only argument I saw to say the legit Ken leak was fake was "Trust me I go to /pol/ a lot"

Flyboy

Smash Hero
While it would have no impact on wether a character gets in or on Nintendo as a whole at all, I can't really blame someone if their opinion of a Blizzard character was changed or shaped based on current events.
"I dislike Blizzard on principle and don't want to see them represented in Smash" is at least a little bit more understandable than most other arguements against it.
Yeah, as someone who thought Tracer would be pretty awesome before, this definitely dampens any possible hype. Big bummer. If I'm down on Geralt because of CDPR's scummier sides I can't help but be down on a Blizzard rep as a result.

I know there's no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that but it's a bummer.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Shadow I guess. The other characters don't really mean much to me/I think the Chorus Kids are ugly af. Now if we're talking the Reporter Girl...

D

Deleted member

Context is important

:ultbayonetta::ultjoker: weren't even around during Brawl. Sega had no competition. :ultsonic: is their Mario. He's getting in before anyone else from Sega.

Slime isn't even Square Enix's mascot. BTW, ever think why :ultcloud:, the most iconic Final Fantasy protagonist and the RPG posterboy of the PS1, was chosen before some cute animal from Square Enix?

And Bomberman wasn't even purchased by Konami until after Brawl. In fact, :ultsnake: only got in because Kojima asked Sakurai, and it's not like :ultsimon: wasn't a popular request for a Konami rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If video game companies being scumbags was detrimental to a character's chances then we wouldn't have gotten Snake back and Simon/Richter as newcomers. With that said, I already had mixed feelings about a Blizzard character in Smash, and these recent events did not help my impressions on the company at all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'd take Ezio over Rayman any day.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

I have to admit that its dazzling how fast people keep pumping this arbitrary fan theories...

Yeah... and Banjo has never been the mascot of Microsoft, he isn't in because he is representing Microsoft... He is in because people wanted Banjo ...
Also when megaman entered smash he was as uch the mascot of capcom as captain comando ._.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I generally judge a character or franchise by, well, the character or franchise itself, not whatever company just so happens to own it so honestly as someone who is a huge fan of Overwatch I'm still not really against Tracer being in Smash, as Tracer herself is cool.

I haven't exactly been following this Hong Kong/Blizzard situation as much as others though tbh. From what I gather, some competitive player for a Blizzard game spoke out against the Chinese government and Blizzard banned them, if I'm not mistaken here (by all means correct me if this very basic description is off). I dunno, it sounds like a ****ty decision on Blizzard's part, but maybe it was just a "we don't want players dipping into controversial stuff" thing and not a "we agree with China and hate freedom of speech" thing (again, if I'm off here and Blizzard actually does support what Chine is doing, by all means correct me). Not trying to defend or support Blizzard's decision or say it was good, but just curious about Blizzard's motivation or reason behind it, I guess.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Geno, because Super Mario RPG will always have a big place in my heart due to the countless hours I spent playing it as a kid.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Honestly I don't get why people seem to believe Ken was somehow predicted by a fake leak when Ken ACTUALLY got leaked like a month before that fake leak popped up. Only argument I saw to say the legit Ken leak was fake was "Trust me I go to /pol/ a lot"
This.

I knew about Ken before September. Same thing with Isabelle and Incineroar.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Geez, it was just an observation....I know I misworded it to make it sound like a fact/rule but come on.

Where the hell did I even say it was a theory?

I’m aware Banjo isn’t Microsoft’s actual mascot, it’s just a term I use to refer cartoony third parties,

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I generally judge a character or franchise by, well, the character or franchise itself, not whatever company just so happens to own it so honestly as someone who is a huge fan of Overwatch I'm still not really against Tracer being in Smash, as Tracer herself is cool.

I haven't exactly been following this Hong Kong/Blizzard situation as much as others though tbh. From what I gather, some competitive player for a Blizzard game spoke out against the Chinese government and Blizzard banned them, if I'm not mistaken here (by all means correct me if this very basic description is off). I dunno, it sounds like a ****ty decision on Blizzard's part, but maybe it was just a "we don't want players dipping into controversial stuff" thing and not a "we agree with China and hate freedom of speech" thing (again, if I'm off here and Blizzard actually does support what Chine is doing, by all means correct me). Not trying to defend or support Blizzard's decision or say it was good, but just curious about Blizzard's motivation or reason behind it, I guess.
During a player's post-game win interview, the player said something about freeing Hong Kong, so Blizzard took away their win, banned them from Hearthstone for a year, and took away their prize money. In addition, they fired the casters that interviewed the player. Super scummy all around. Their motivation behind it? To appease China.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Aside from being unable to make decent Crash/Spyro games that aren't remakes of older Naughty Dog/Insomniac titles, preventing Naughty Dog from using Crash in their anniversary promos, and turning Spyro into a shameless Skylander cash grab, I was against Activision for years now. They've been scummy for a while. This blatant sexism was barely over a decade ago. I remember when they decided to release an untested Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 that was filled with game-breaking bugs and a post-release game patch that was twice the size of the actual game. I also have a personal vendetta against them regarding an incident that occurred while I play tested for them in my youth, but that's irrelevant. Moreover, they pump out so many low effort sequels that make so much bank. I know even Nintendo has its own demons and money to make and yadda yadda, but screw Activision.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember when people tried to disprove the Ken leak using reasons that were because of how eyes work, the camera/monitor angle, an "illusion," stuff like that. Also everyone's arguments over the Pichu render, how renders were in the frame on the character's HUD, etc.

And then there was the 4chan post where someone claimed they made it for a school project long ago and photoshopped the Moray Towers stage in, while saying some other stuff that didn't make sense with what people knew.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The during a player's post-game win interview, the player said something about freeing Hong Kong, so Blizzard took away their win, banned them from Hearthstone for a year, and took away their prize money. In addition, they fired the casters that interviewed the player. Super scummy all around.
What an overly drastic measure to ensure politics isn't talked about. No real opinion beyond it being a kneejerk business decision they'll have to live with.

SKX31

Smash Master
I doubt it would change anything since Smash would just be using one of their characters and that's it. It's not like the Chinese government would force Nintendo to change Smash completely or something. Also we have Terry who is technically owned by China since 37Games (one of China's biggest browser-based companies) is the parent company of SNK. So in a way we already have Chinese-involvement in Smash.

This is gonna be difficult to keep concise.

I'll whip up this ol' quick pic I did a while back:

Oriental Securities and 37 Games are both Chinese. LeYou (And Ledo by proxy) is Hong Kong based. For all intents and purposes, the parties involved with getting Terry in did so before the crisis. Tracer getting in now would be a PR nightmare (due to horrendous timing), but if she is FP5 she likewise would have been negotiated for likewise before the crisis.

As for the Switch in China, well, those talks also started long before this (and Chinese Switches are likely being produced as we speak, given that Tencent has established the daughter company "TenNin"). While Blizzard's response has been extremely bad (not gonna lie there), Smash would not be affected because Blizzard's actions were as a response to a pro player's comments, and nothing in the game proper. Nintendo IMHO should be safe (their games being fictional and often kid-friendly helps a lot), but kowtowing to political pressure is never a good look. So it's for the best to be aware of that risk.

That basic description is pretty much on point. And yeah, I find it very likely that it's simply "The Chinese government / regime isn't gonna like this stuff at all and will pressure us, we better avoid that!" and did what they did. Yes, it's super scummy, but I agree with DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon : "Horribly immoral and against their company values? Yes. Prude business decision? Yes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom