• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait, what? I only remember his naming a list of seven characters: Geno (Base Spirit, Mii costume MIA), Crono (MIA), Sephiroth (MIA), Sora (MIA), Erdrick (Mii costume as the DQ3 hero is named Arusu), Luminary (Hero’s default appearance), Slime (part of Hero’s taunt)
That's the list of names he heard as potential characters, he didn't know which was going to be playable, but that one of them would be

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You all keep forgetting Sora's a Disney rep not a Square rep, eh. ;P

And the closest we'll ever get to a 4th party rep in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's the list of names he heard as potential characters, he didn't know which was going to be playable, but that one of them would be
Where did the “second Square Enix newcomer for Ultimate” claim come from then? I missed it

(keeping in mind Cloud is a veteran at this point)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You all keep forgetting Sora's a Disney rep not a Square rep, eh. ;P

And the closest we'll ever get to a 4th party rep in Smash.
4th parties don't exist.

The definition of 4th parties make no sense.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Huh, I was looking through the directory and I'm suprised nobody's made a Hatsune Miku or Vocaloid thread yet.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Huh, I was looking through the directory and I'm suprised nobody's made a Hatsune Miku or Vocaloid thread yet.
well its not like she's a video game character

she's a video, technically. not a game though

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
well its not like she's a video game character

she's a video, technically. not a game though
I think she's in a grey area.

Like Smash's Mario Paint Music and ROB.

Still, more likely than Goku.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
It's not a matter of whether or not changing or removing the animation would be difficult. None of the model-swap costumes in the game come with altered animations that could affect hitboxes. Is that the most minuscule and unimportant difference imaginable? Yes, but it's a difference nonetheless. I guess that's what Echo Fighters are for.

And for all we know, Terry's hat could be used in his taunt or victory animations, which would also need to be changed.
Bit late to the party here, but they wouldn't need to change his battle animations for a hatless alt, I don't think. Some of them would like a little awkward, like the idle animation we saw in the gameplay preview, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Smash has precedence for this kinda thing, like Little Mac's entrance animation going unchanged for his hoodie alts, or the aforementioned Joker animations where he adjusts his glove, even if he's not wearing any.

As for the victory animations, Terry's definitely gonna have that one where he tosses his hat. That wouldn't make a lot of sense with a hatless alt, depending on how it's directed, but they could just change the victory animation for that alt. They've done it before with Pokemon Trainer and Inkling (also technically Bayonetta in the Japanese version, since her Bayo1 alt uses English voice acting and requires different lip-syncing).
Ooh! Love that one.

Either none at all, his appearance in Mark of the Wolves, or his appearance in SNK Heroines.
His Heroines design has totally different proportions to his usual look, so I don't think it's possible.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
2 x 0 = 0 :secretkpop:
I'd say it's more
Miku: 0.000...0001
Goku: 0

It would depend on where Sakurai's definition starts and ends. And before the jokes, yes, that probably would make Clippy qualify for Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think she's in a grey area.

Like Smash's Mario Paint Music and ROB.

Still, more likely than Goku.
I'm not too familiar with her series but isn't it like a music app or something like that?
If so wouldn't things like Art Academy and Swapnote count? We have Assist Trophies of Vince and Nikki but I'm not sure if that's quite the same thing, at least Nintendo owns these characters.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Moveset concept for Carmen Sandiego. It's an amalgamation of every version of her.

Carmen Sandiego can steal items by simply walking pass other characters. Additionally, there's a 1/8 chance that she swipes items by hitting you. In fact, Carmen is such a good thief, she can even steal things like charged/stored projectiles (like Samus' charge shot, for example), buffs/status effects (Deep Breathing buffs, Monado arts, etc.), and take pocketed items away from Villager/Isabelle. Carmen can activate what she steals by pressing the neutral B button.

Down Special - The Babble On Ray (based off of the Babble on Machine from Word Detective). To teach players the importance of language, Carmen Sandiego steals their abilities to speak coherently by zapping them with her latest invention. It prevents characters from using any special moves for up to 15 seconds, or until they hit Carmen. Fortunately, Carmen likes a challenge, so the move can only be used up to 6 times per stock. Hopefully, keeping track of all of this will improve your math skills! Additionally, all sounds the opponent character makes while affected is distorted gibberish.

Side Special - Grappling hook. If tilted, Carmen drags opponents to her (Scorpion style). However, if the button is pressed like a Smash attack, after grappling the opponent, Carmen follows up with a kick attack to the face (they never protect the face). The smash version has a chance to steal whatever item the player is carrying once Carmen kicks them away. The grappling hook also doubles as a tether recovery.

Up Special - Paraglider. Press up B once to make Carmen dramatically leap in the air. Surprise! Press B again for Carmen to whip out her paraglider for a stylish escape like:

Final Smash - Where in Time/Where in the World? The capture robot appears on screen, but Carmen dodges it and vanishes. Cue brief cinematic cutscene with an ACME detective acquiring clues/looking at a map of the world. End cutscene. Carmen returns and drops a random historical landmark (Pyramid/Statue of Liberty/Eiffel Tower/etc.) or even stage hazards from other levels that deals massive damage.

Jumping animation:

Taunt: She's gotta have the signature hat tilt:

tenor.gif

Another taunt can involve looking directly at the screen (you) and saying, "Try to catch me, player."

Her tilt attacks can be hand-to-hand combat. Think parkour meets James Bond. She has a lot of fight scenes to work with, but the general idea is to make her overly evasive. I think her dodging a mouse cursor (like Duck Hunt dodges the zapper) for a couple of Smash attacks would be cool, too. She also has a boatload of vehicles, gadgets, and lackeys at her disposal, if they want to incorporate any of that.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
I've considered making one for a while but I never got around to asking the mods if it's A-Okay.
From what I can tell, there's absolutely no issue so long as you make sure a similar thread doesn't already exist. For instance, I noticed there was no Riesz support thread yet, so I took it upon myself to make one which you are free to visit if you like.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Threads a little slow today..

So uh, how about that Hayabusa, eh?!
FN_m_a.gif

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Just finished watching a darkstalkers documentary and reflecting on how much darkstalkers actually have influenced the genre. Even some important mechanichs in smash like tech rolls and tech situations and the use of stocks were actually used there there.

As for other mechanichs, air block, and air dash would literally define the subgenre anime fighter and is still heavily used in the marvel vs capcom games, or even something as standar as reversals.

Not only that, but it's emphasis in cartoony animations instead of more realistic martial artist animations also influenced a whole set of other fighting games.

I wonder if sakurai have ever mentioned the series like had done with dark souls, minecraft, persona or king of fighters from a gameplay perspective?

Anyway... a quick intro to morrigan for the curious.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't know about any of you but if we get a Silent Hill rep I want it to be James Sunderland. The intro of Silent Hill 2 makes the perfect set up for his trailer.

James: I got a letter... The name on the envelope said... "Mary"... My wife's name. It's ridiculous... Couldn't possibly be true. That's what I keep telling myself... A dead person can't write a letter. Mary died of that damned disease three years ago. So then why am I looking for her? Our "special place..." what could she mean?

In my restless dreams, I see that place

You promised me you'd take me there someday
But you never did

Well I'm alone there now...
In our 'special place'
Waiting for you...

WAITING FOR YOU TO JOIN SUPER SMASH BROS!

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Fine i'll bite, why doesn't fan nomenclature for "not from a video game" make sense?
It's a made up term created by the Smash fandom to separate characters originating from non-video game franchises. The likes of Goku, Spider-Man, Mickey Mouse, and Spongebob are all still 3rd party characters in the context of being guest fighters in Smash. The companies these characters belong to are no different from the 3rd party companies already in Smash. Sakurai and Nintendo would still have to approach these companies to negotiate getting any content from them for Smash. If you look up 4th party video games or 4th party game developers, you're mainly going to find it used on Smash discussions. They won't ever get added obviously because Sakurai has made is explicitly clear they can't get in. They're quite literally "Never Ever" characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's not a matter of whether or not changing or removing the animation would be difficult. None of the model-swap costumes in the game come with altered animations that could affect hitboxes. Is that the most minuscule and unimportant difference imaginable? Yes, but it's a difference nonetheless. I guess that's what Echo Fighters are for.

And for all we know, Terry's hat could be used in his taunt or victory animations, which would also need to be changed.
For the taunts and victory animations, we do have a little precedent.

Pokemon Trainer has double the amount of taunts do the female version doing different animations in the background.

Pokemon Trainer also has 3 sets of victory animations for every pokemon, and Red/Green have different animations for the first set of these.
That's essentially 9 different victory animations plus 3 unique animations for the female Pokemon Trainer.

Now as for whether they'll bother, it's... doubtful.
I don't know about any of you but if we get a Silent Hill rep I want it to be James Sunderland. The intro of Silent Hill 2 makes the perfect set up for his trailer.

James: I got a letter... The name on the envelope said... "Mary"... My wife's name. It's ridiculous... Couldn't possibly be true. That's what I keep telling myself... A dead person can't write a letter. Mary died of that damned disease three years ago. So then why am I looking for her? Our "special place..." what could she mean?

But you never did

In our 'special place'
Waiting for you...

I dunno, I think they'd go for Mr. Geometry Head over a guy who's intentionally super plain.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

But you never did

In our 'special place'
Waiting for you...

lol, I just think of that while I was reading your post, that would be really funny hahaha

Silent Hill 2 is one of my all time favourites, but I don't know... James in Smash would be SO bizarre. The same goes for Pyramid Head. It would be cool? Of course, but maybe a stage or an assist trohpy would be the best way to represent the franchise.
At this point I guess Silent Hill is the next option if we're gonna get a DLC character from Konami, but it would be feel strange to me haha.

inksaver

Smash Rookie
I’m very hopeful that Jill Valentine will be the next character reveal. She’s always had a strong female presence in video games and would be representing a genre yet to appear in Smash. I wanted to make a list of move sets for her but I’m not the best at writing it out in detail, so I just decided to draw it myself.
Her fighting style involving zombies was very fun in MVC2, but I do truly believe bloody zombies would be an issue for ratings, so I discarded that idea.
Also, I only drew her normal combos and attack specials. I tried to keep it in a style like classic Resident Evil games where you need to choose carefully when to use your weapons and items, while still keeping some elements from newer games.
Note: I had no idea how to upload an image here, so i created a tumblr and put a link :c

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
How about Rayman?

I think it’s actually very likely that Spirits will promoted and he would be one of the top contenders for it.

I also find it suspicious that he lacks an online icon while Shantae has one.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'd say it's more
Miku: 0.000...0001
Goku: 0

It would depend on where Sakurai's definition starts and ends. And before the jokes, yes, that probably would make Clippy qualify for Smash.
Don't forget Bonzi Buddy!

DOOMGuy too.
I'm still up for Dragonborn discussion with a side of Thrall!

and I agree, not much has changed for Ryu Hayabusa's situation aside from a debunked leak, so there isn't much to talk about.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm uncomfortable with Pyramid Head being in Smash because I know the creator isn't happy with how he's been appearing in crossovers. Sure, that ship has sailed, but it itches my scalp.

My friend who loves Silent Hill suggested Heather Mason with some of the wackier crazier weapons from SH3 and I can't lie, that's a fun option.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I’m very hopeful that Jill Valentine will be the next character reveal. She’s always had a strong female presence in video games and would be representing a genre yet to appear in Smash. I wanted to make a list of move sets for her but I’m not the best at writing it out in detail, so I just decided to draw it myself.
Her fighting style involving zombies was very fun in MVC2, but I do truly believe bloody zombies would be an issue for ratings, so I discarded that idea.
Also, I only drew her normal combos and attack specials. I tried to keep it in a style like classic Resident Evil games where you need to choose carefully when to use your weapons and items, while still keeping some elements from newer games.
Note: I had no idea how to upload an image here, so i created a tumblr and put a link :c
The drawing is very cool!
And the specials are nice. The only one I don't know how to feel about is the Genesis one, maybe I'd prefer something different for side B. But anyway, great work!
That reminds me that I have to finish REvelations.

Only one thing: while I can see RE3 Jill being the default I think that an alt for RE1 should be mandatory.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

It's almost been one year since arguably the most infamous "leak" in Nintendo history. Shoutout Ken and Duck Hunt's echo for making it into the game.

If you could pick one Grinch character to get into the game, whod it be? I think Chorus Kids would've been a crazy a** character.

Your choices: Isaac, Shadow, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, and Geno.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well thanks to what Activision Blizzard did. I really REALLY do not want any of their characters joining Smash, this includes Crash. Compared to other gaming controversies, What they have done is very disgusting and I worry on how the Chinese Government could get involved if Crash, Tracer etc was in. Not only that but I refuse to give those Chinese Government bootlickers any of my money and I would feel really disgusted if Fighter's Pass character #5 was from them.

KatKit

Smash Lord
View attachment 241440

We've exhausted pretty much any conversation when it comes to him. DOOMGuy too.

Now how about Sora?
Shameless Nihon Falcom propaganda, but I have literal in-game Estelle Bright quotes saved for any occasion in this thread.

Tired about a character being discussed?

Feel the urge to correct someone?

There's even one if fighter #5 turns out to be yet another guy:

No idea where I'm going with this, but I'm going to start using these to save time.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Well thanks to what Activision Blizzard did. I really REALLY do not want any of their characters joining Smash, this includes Crash. Compared to other gaming controversies, What they have done is very disgusting and I worry on how the Chinese Government could get involved if Crash, Tracer etc was in. Not only that but I refuse to give those Chinese Government bootlickers any of my money and I would feel really disgusted if Fighter's Pass character #5 was from them.
I actually was going to ask about that. It was pretty damn scummy. Assuming FP5 is not Tracer or Crash, I have to wonder if Nintendo would add one of their characters. I'm not sure if it would matter or not; I don't see Nintendo being the most globally conscious, unless someone has a record of them doing otherwise.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's almost been one year since arguably the most infamous "leak" in Nintendo history. Shoutout Ken and Duck Hunt's echo for making it into the game.

If you could pick one Grinch character to get into the game, whod it be? I think Chorus Kids would've been a crazy a** character.

Your choices: Isaac, Shadow, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, and Geno.
Blonde Ryu and Duck Hunt's echo hillbilly cousins are the best inclusions in the world.

That said, my choice is obvious. Like, look at my avatar and sig. It's very clear.

It'd obviously be the infamous green pixel itself. Not Isaac, just the pixel.

inksaver

Smash Rookie
The drawing is very cool!
And the specials are nice. The only one I don't know how to feel about is the Genesis one, maybe I'd prefer something different for side B. But anyway, great work!
That reminds me that I have to finish REvelations.

Only one thing: while I can see RE3 Jill being the default I think that an alt for RE1 should be mandatory.
Thanks! I also appreciate the feedback, and yes! you need to finish Revelations haha

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Blonde Ryu and Duck Hunt's echo hillbilly cousins are the best inclusions in the world.
That said, my choice is obvious. Like, look at my avatar and sig. It's very clear.
Geno's got some juice rn with the trademarked tracks and lack of Mii Costume. Keep the faith...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If you could pick one Grinch character to get into the game, who'd it be? I think Chorus Kids would've been a crazy a** character.
It was an interesting time, honestly it was kinda fun to see the whole spectacle play out!

I'd probably choose Shadow. He'd be pretty cool, and Sonic deserves another rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom