• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
As much as I want to entertain the idea, wouldn't they just use the Symphonia logo a la the Sm4sh costume (or Berseria in the insane timeline in which we get Velvet)? Unless this is used for a collection of Mii costumes...?
But... is that what they would go with? A quill over a book are pretty standard "save" motifs imo.
I mean Dragon Quest uses the Mark of Erdrick (found only in DQI, DQII, and DQIII) to represent the entirety of the series and Final Fantasy just uses the initials from its title logo. If they wanted to be specific about installments, the former would have had the Mark of the Luminary and the latter the iconic Meteor logo.

What do you think should be the series logo for Tales?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Series logos are a bit odd as they either use the iconic item of the series or part of the logo.

Then you've got Mega Man using a Gear, Brawl using the icon of an in game orginization and now both Kirby and Fatal Fury share a shape albeit differently styled ones.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I didn't play any Tales game (I will do someday, starting with Symphonia) so I will ask, that new icon is something that could work to represent the franchise? Or doesn't suit at all about representing the games?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Series logos are a bit odd as they either use the iconic item of the series or part of the logo.

Then you've got Mega Man using a Gear, Brawl using the icon of an in game orginization and now both Kirby and Fatal Fury share a shape albeit differently styled ones.
Mega Man using a gear when his helmet is one of the most iconic costumes in gaming and is recognizable even in silhouette is one of the dumbest things possible.

Street Fighter and Final Fantasy using initials though is one of my pet peeves. Not that hard to use a Moogle or a Crystal or a Chocobo for FF (I would have even taken the meteor given how iconic it is). Stumped on alternatives for Street Fighter beyond a silhouette of Ryu in the Hadouken or Shoryuken positions, but would have still preferred that to the alternative.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mega Man using a gear when his helmet is one of the most iconic costumes in gaming and is recognizable even in silhouette is one of the dumbest things possible.

Street Fighter and Final Fantasy using initials though is one of my pet peeves. Not that hard to use a Moogle or a Crystal or a Chocobo for FF (I would have even taken the meteor given how iconic it is). Stumped on alternatives for Street Fighter beyond a silhouette of Ryu in the Hadouken or Shoryuken positions, but would have still preferred that to the alternative.
Heck, Mega Man even had E-Tanks as an iconic pick-up.

For Final Fantasy, I'd have used the Meteor design from 7's logo as that covers all of Smash's FF content.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Heck, Mega Man even had E-Tanks as an iconic pick-up.

For Final Fantasy, I'd have used the Meteor design from 7's logo as that covers all of Smash's FF content.
With how little content we got already, there's no way they'd go for something that needs to involve another copyright holder. Amano holds copyright for the FF logo designs after all.

Also Ifrit's design and the chocobo hat from Smash 4 don't use their VII designs.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The book and quill makes sense as a series logo but "Tales of Series" is what's really tripping me up. Simon and Richter got "Castlevania" but that's because that's what Simon's game was called and it functions as a series logo. The Persona Mii costumes got logos specifically for Persona 3 and 4. Lloyd himself got "Tales of Symphonia" during Sm4sh. Even Hero got specifically Dragon Quest 11S. I just don't see how a Tales rep wouldn't just get their game's logo, same with Mii costumes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If one wants to entertain a Tales rep, we can start here.
[twitter post]
Interesting. If this is actually Smash related, I wonder why Bandai Namco filed trademarks for these 2 things in particular when there weren't any trademarks going around for the other 4 DLC fighters.

There might be a small possibility there is content from multiple Tales games in the works, a la Hero.

Assuming this is related to Smash.

Probably not. The icon is weird, though.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Could just be for the upcoming Tales game.

Which looks incredible by the by.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Could just be for the upcoming Tales game.

Which looks incredible by the by.
How far in advance does Namco typically file their trademarks? I remember following Katamari Damacy Reroll's trademark when it was revealed and the game itself was announced in a Direct a week later. This could give us a clue.

D

Deleted member

Regarding Tales, Lloyd would be cool for the dual wielding but kinda like Luke and Yuri a lot more. Kind of a shame the Tales series protagonists are pretty different from each other as it will make the tales representation focused on a single title.

Just put Lloyd and Yuri in and then you're set :denzel:
The only problem is that Yuri's style is almost as different as Lloyd's. He only uses one weapon, but he punches, switches sword hands mid combo, and occasionally kicks the sword to make it spin around. Kind of difficult to keep him faithful as an alt of someone else.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
The only problem is that Yuri's style is almost as different as Lloyd's. He only uses one weapon, but he punches, switches sword hands mid combo, and occasionally kicks the sword to make it spin around. Kind of difficult to keep him faithful as an alt of someone else.
Well Lucina's style is supposed to be very similar to Chrom's since he's the one who taught her, so...

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I heavily doubt that the trademarks mean anything important, especially for Smash.

Gears are commonly associated with Megaman in Japan

Plank08

Smash Lord
So what's most likely to be in Smash first, Resident Evil or Devil May Cry?
LittleBigPlanet!:4pacman:
Ah yes! Everyone's talking about their favourite lawyer from the Nintendo DS line of games.
Apollo Justice!
View attachment 241272
Lol Imagine if he got in smash and Phoinex was an assist the salt would be vicious
So hot take but I don’t think Sonic is getting another character, not even an Echo Fighter.

Not only has the popularity of the series severely dwindled down thanks to things like Forces and the movie, but Sonic also isn’t and never really was very popular in Japan, as a person who just went there I can say that he’s mostly used as a corporate mascot used to advertise SEGA products rather than his own games, and hardly any merchandise of him actually is sold there.

Honestly I’m at the point where I think a second Persona character and characters like Arle and Kiryu are more likely than a second Sonic rep, as Persona, Puyo Puyo, and Yakuza seem to be the current big three of SEGA. (I could also see Jeanne as a Bayo Echo If Bayo 3 ever comes out)
At this point I don’t even want another sonic character.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Can I just say it's rather petty to think that a game delay or lack thereof affects a character's chances for Smash?

I thought it was clear that Smash does not revolve around what games you can play on your Switch already.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think it's because the icons are in silhouette, and the helmet's silhouette isn't easily descernable without adding more detail.
Yeah it is though. Just have a line around the square on the front and I guarantee you it is. I'll try to find images of what I'm thinking about, as I'm not creative enough to have thought that up.

Edit: something like this

I heavily doubt that the trademarks mean anything important, especially for Smash.

Gears are commonly associated with Megaman in Japan

Keyword being in Japan.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
If one wants to entertain a Tales rep, we can start here.
Tbh I'm fine with just Lloyd's Mii costume returning, I've made up my mind for that long ago.
But, if we do get a character, it'll have to be Lloyd no question.
That being said I'm all aboard for any Tales rep, even Sorey will do!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's almost like Sakurai's from Japan or something.
It's almost like Smash is sold worldwide and Mega Man's helmet is known worldwide.

SMH, it's like you'd justify Mega Man being called Rockman because Sakurai's Japanese.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Not as alts, as two different characters :seuss:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's almost like Smash is sold worldwide and Mega Man's helmet is known worldwide.

SMH, it's like you'd justify Mega Man being called Rockman because Sakurai's Japanese.
I mean, maybe he isn't aware that Mega Man isn't associated with gears in other parts of the world? Just because somebody's justification to why it's fine the way it is isn't the same justification you came to to why it isn't doesn't mean that that person is wrong.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No, because it's NoA's job to make sure his name isn't Rockman.
I mean, maybe he isn't aware that Mega Man isn't associated with gears in other parts of the world? Just because somebody's justification to why it's fine the way it is isn't the same justification you came to to why it isn't doesn't mean that that person is wrong.
It is Sakurai's job to do the research, you can't honestly pretend that it's acceptable not to do so in 2019 with games being a global affair. Is it something that could, and should, have been caught by localization? Sure, but given the standard that Sakurai himself abides to, this slipping by him is uncharacteristically sloppy.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Tbh I'm fine with just Lloyd's Mii costume returning, I've made up my mind for that long ago.
But, if we do get a character, it'll have to be Lloyd no question.
That being said I'm all aboard for any Tales rep, even Sorey will do!
Any Tales rep, you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom