• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I feel like if Doomguy were going to be DLC, the release date of Eternal wouldn't factor into his announcement at all. I think some people put way too much thought into this sort of thing since the only character that could even be considered close to a tie-in was Hero, and even then he released months before XI S and included content from older games. I have no idea what the hell Joker, Banjo, and Terry are supposed to promote, so why are we still expecting every character to be promotional?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have no idea what the hell Joker, Banjo, and Terry are supposed to promote, so why are we still expecting every character to be promotional?
Because some people try and pretend Joker, Hero, and Terry were promotions to feel better about their fave's absence.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Idk why people thought Doomguy was such a complete lock. Echo chamber at its finest.
Honestly, I think anyone far too violent like Doom Guy or Anyone from MK probably won't be looked at for Smash and that hurts coming from someone that wants Scorpion or Kitana in the game

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Game releases have little to nothing to do with Smash characters. Only one linked so far was Hero using 11 as the default and even then it was already released on 3DS and PS4.

If Doomguy is the last pass fighter, the delay changes nothing.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
News that has absolutely nothing to do with smash equals the typical "dog pile on a character / their supporters" lmao

Let people speculate. Tired of all the "lol its just a echo chamber" speak when the Smash community has tons of that with other characters.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like if Doomguy were going to be DLC, the release date of Eternal wouldn't factor into his announcement at all.
And even if it did, if Doom Eternal had to suddenly delay it's release for some reason, it wouldn't change the release schedule of Smash's DLC.

Because some people try and pretend Joker, Hero, and Terry were promotions to feel better about their fave's absence.
I mean, Hero at least very clearly was.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I have no idea what the hell Joker, Banjo, and Terry are supposed to promote, so why are we still expecting every character to be promotional?
Corrin scarred everyone deep
News that has absolutely nothing to do with smash equals the typical "dog pile on a character / their supporters" lmao

Let people speculate. Tired of all the "lol its just a echo chamber" speak when the Smash community has tons of that with other characters.
I think people want an excuse to remove the supposedly "100% lock" character from the conversation.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Idk why people thought Doomguy was such a complete lock. Echo chamber at its finest.
Like I just remember someone's stream where he was asked by someone else if insiders told him about Banjo before he was announced, and was also just like "oh like how Doom Slayer's totally confirmed to be coming".

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We'd probably get the Doom Marine if we got any kind of DOOM representation, maybe and only MAYBE with Slayer as an alt costume. I don't see the hang-up over Eternal's status in relation to Smash info lol. If Nintendo and Sakurai want the Doom Marine, we'll get the Doom Marine, delays and roadblocks for Eternal be damned.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Well, if Doomguy is in Smash it would have probably been decided way earlier than Eternal's delay. In fact, the blunk of Character #5's deropment is probably already done.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Reasonable Pick for #5 - A capcom rep (either Phoenix or Resident Evil).

Less Reasonable Dream Pick for #5 - Crash Bandicoot

Pipe Dream Pick - Master Chief

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Who's Master Chief
He’s a pretty cool guy, eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything

man I feel old

anyway uh, Doom Slayer COULD still be FP5. Wasn’t Corrin revealed waaaaay before Fates came to the west?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Yeah, if anyone is a lock, it's Dovahkiin from The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim™ who will be revealed alongside the announcement that The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim™ is coming to Nintendo 3DS on Winter 2020. You thought Bowser's Inside Story would be the last 3DS game? Think again!
/s

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think anyone far too violent like Doom Guy or Anyone from MK probably won't be looked at for Smash and that hurts coming from someone that wants Scorpion or Kitana in the game
I don't think the game being violent will stop a character from getting into the roster, but not being popular enough (or even accessible with MK, to an extent) could seriously limit their chances. Scorpion is my favorite video game character of all time, so let that offer whatever ethos it brings.

As for theories, I've concluded that only three things are reasonable when speculating:

1) Insider Information - This one has probably the least sturdy foundation. There are very few people that actually have inside information, and when I say that I mean those individuals who have proven themselves through a mostly successful track record. And even then, information can change since they last heard something. So basically just Vergeben, and even that's iffy. Hahaha. ( I know there are few others, I'm just being a troll.)

2) Theories built around money - These theories generally have the most gray area because money comes from two places: pleasing fans and pleasing partners. It is thereby reasonable to assume that Nintendo would only add the characters that benefit it the most, but what will do that is best is the main question. Whether it's PR, partner relationships, exposure, or just sales, there has to be a reason for doing it.

3) Theories built around data or known facts - These are the theories with the most concrete foundations, that is as long as the information is verified correct. These are theories based around data contained within the actual game, SSBU marketing, official statements from Nintendo, updates to the website, or anything else directly connected to the game in an undeniable way. Box Theory and the SNK leak come to mind. Also, datamining brings with it some interesting speculation.

Any other "theories" based off of arbitrary things, such as belts or colors or genders of characters, should be abandoned as silly superstitions.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yeah, if anyone is a lock, it's Dovahkiin from The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim™ who will be revealed alongside the announcement that The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim™ is coming to Nintendo 3DS on Winter 2020. You thought Bowser's Inside Story would be the last 3DS game? Think again!
/s
That's the game Reggie will be playing in retirement. Sorry, Animal Crossing: New Leaf for Nintendo 3DS! :mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
/s
Can’t wait for Skyrim to be ported to the Vita next! And the Wii U!

...wait...

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
/s
The act is up Todd, we know it's you. You're not going to trick us into buying your game again with your Smash leaks

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm on that Carmen Sandiego hype train more than ever after finishing the second season on Netflix. If we ever get the Astral Chain twins (cops), promotional material should have them trying to stop Carmen and Joker (robbers).

Anyways, don't quote me on this since I'm 0-4, but I firmly believe fighter #5 is either Geralt and/or Ciri, 2B, an Assassin's Creed rep, or Heihachi. Although I'm always down for another mostly unexpected Sakurai swerve like Terry.

Edit: I just remembered those are all Soul Calibur guests. That series had some strong guests characters. Lloyd Irving (spinoff) and even Kos-mos (costume parts only) appeared in them as well.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hey, for what it's worth, Hero's character page on the Smash website literally does advertize DQ11S.

You're seriously telling me that you've never heard of Cooking Mama?
Ohhh, you mean Cat Mario.
Don't know who that is

He’s a pretty cool guy, eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything

man I feel old

anyway uh, Doom Slayer COULD still be FP5. Wasn’t Corrin revealed waaaaay before Fates came to the west?
Don't worry, I remember that.

And if memory serves, Bayonetta and Corrin were released in February 2016. Fates meanwhile was. . . I think also released in February? Though a bit later. I'd have to check. All I know is that Fates in Europe released in May, which was already way after it was out in the US, because Nintendo hated Europe back then for whatever reason.

/s
I for one can't wait for Todd Howard from the Skyrim Skrolls 5: Skyrim. As a matter of fact, I already know what the theme music for his reveal trailer will be:

Can’t wait for Skyrim to be ported to the Vita next! And the Wii U!

...wait...
Screw that, I want my N64 port of Skyrim.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The only two things that make me think Doom Guy has a decent enough chance of being fighter #5 is Pete Hines saying "oh yeah" to talking to Nintendo about Smash Bros and the interview where the Doom Eternal directors were asked if they want Doom Guy in Mortal Kombat, Marty said they'd also liked to see him in Smash Bros without prompt from the interviewer and Hugo quickly looking at him.

They may not be the best source of evidence towards Doom Guy for Smash but it's more than can be said for most characters.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't get why everyone is acting like Doom: Eternal's delay has literally anything to do with Doom Marine's chances in Smash. If Doom Marine in the game, it's not because he's in to advertise anything. He's far from a lock, but certainly has a ton of merits that give him a better chance than most.

I still don't understand where this "DLC has to advertise something!" mentality comes from seeing how this has never been the case. Banjo and Terry have literally nothing new to advertise, while Joker probably wasn't added to advertise an exclusive on a rival platform or a budget musou game. Even Hero, who does have an upcoming Switch release, was planned for the base game and thusly wasn't really intended to advertise much of anything.

Likewise, its a little disheartening to see a lot of people admittedly turn on Doom Marine as soon as he was perceived to be "unlikely". This seems to happen literally every time a character either has something that helps them or hurts their chances. It goes from "X is the best character ever and I would give my first born child to have them in the game" to "X is a plague among this house and anyone who wants them in the game stinks of week old cabbage".

People do give the Smash community a lot of unfair guff, but this is something we need to work on as a community. I understand there's a lot of pressure as various fanbases fight to have a spot in gaming's biggest crossover but we definitely need to drop this aggressive attitude towards others. At the end of the day, this is a video game about toys who come to life to beat the **** out of each other, life will go on no matter what happens.

And if memory serves, Bayonetta and Corrin were released in February 2016. Fates meanwhile was. . . I think also released in February? Though a bit later. I'd have to check. All I know is that Fates in Europe released in May, which was already way after it was out in the US, because Nintendo hated Europe back then for whatever reason.
Also, just so people remember, Fates had been out for 8 months in Japan. Over there Corrin wouldn't have been nearly as promotional.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Am I the only one who just want all the DLC characters here just so we can get it overwith? Lol

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
/s
If it gets us Elder Scrolls in Smash, I certainly wouldn't complain!

Sysreq

Smash Ace
So, interestingly enough, a takeaway from all this is, despite being a very common "evidence tactic" used towards promoting a character for DLC, there actually has been no precedence for a DLC character being released around the same as a game related to that character. Honestly, a point like that shouldn't be held on such a high pedestal when discussing a certain character's chances.

Edit: I guess Corrin was pretty darn close in America. Corrin really did shake things up. For FE and speculation.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Also, just so people remember, Fates had been out for 8 months in Japan. Over there Corrin wouldn't have been nearly as promotional.
Also true!
Anyway, I just looked up the various release dates for this all.
  • Corrin (and Bayonetta) released as DLC for Smash 4: February 3rd, 2016
  • Fates' Japanese release date: June 25, 2015
  • Fates' American release date: February 19, 2016
  • Fates' European release date: May 20, 2016
So really, Sakurai's statement from back then that they wanted a character from a current game can be taken rather broadly. Like, I could easily imagine that Inkling (Splatoon release date was 28/29 May 2015) or Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X release date was April 29th 2015 in Japan, December 4th in the West) were also in consideration.
And honestly, even though I don't mind them, considering how most people reacted to Corrin and that Inkling ended up happening anyway, I kinda can't help but to feel like Elma would've been a better choice back then lmao

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also true!
Anyway, I just looked up the various release dates for this all.
  • Corrin (and Bayonetta) released as DLC for Smash 4: February 3rd, 2016
  • Fates' Japanese release date: June 25, 2015
  • Fates' American release date: February 19, 2016
  • Fates' European release date: May 20, 2016
So really, Sakurai's statement from back then that they wanted a character from a current game can be taken rather broadly. Like, I could easily imagine that Inkling (Splatoon release date was 28/29 May 2015) or Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X release date was April 29th 2015 in Japan, December 4th in the West) were also in consideration.
I think Inkling was out for the Wii U era cause of the ink mechanic (not to mention how it would work on 3DS... it would have been an issue most likely)

Elma though... biggest oof ever. Still believe she has a shot for DLC so here’s hoping

So, interestingly enough, a takeaway from all this is, despite being a very common "evidence tactic" used towards promoting a character for DLC, there actually has been no precedence for a DLC character being released around the same as a game related to that character. Honestly, a point like that shouldn't be held on such a high pedestal when discussing a certain character's chances.
if anything they’re more often revealed to coincide with initial announcements, not actual releases

I.e. Shulk for Xenoblade 3D, Hero for the announcement of DQXIS...

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who thinks Doomguy is way more likely for the second round of DLC than as the last Fighters Pass character? I remember Sakurai making a statement sometime around Banjo's release saying something like "I can see more western fan requests making it in," and considering how heavily requested Doomguy has been lately, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo was taking a look at him. I still think the last character is going to be someone from Resident Evil, but I can totally see Doomguy being a Game Awards or E3 announcement for Fighters Pass 2.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the reason why a lot of people are so persistent onto promotional tie ins was because Smash 4 often promoted a lot of characters with certain games on the official website. However those that actually coincided with game releases where often veterans though such as Toon Link and Wind Waker HD and Olimar with Pikmin 3. Which also lead to crazy cynicism such as the fear of Yoshi being cut just because he wasn't revealed alongside Yoshi's New Island. (Yes that actually happened, with Yoshi of all characters....)

I guess Little Mac's reveal around one of the Punch Out's anniversaries was also a part with people believe that characters would be revealed on anniversaries but as far as I recall, that hasn't really happened since, at least not with any newcomers.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think the reason why a lot of people are so persistent onto promotional tie ins was because Smash 4 often promoted a lot of characters with certain games on the official website. However those that actually coincided with game releases where often veterans though such as Toon Link and Wind Waker HD and Olimar with Pikmin 3. Which also lead to crazy cynicism such as the fear of Yoshi being cut just because he wasn't revealed alongside Yoshi's New Island. (Yes that actually happened, with Yoshi of all characters....)

I guess Little Mac's reveal around one of the Punch Out's anniversaries was also a part with people believe that characters would be revealed on anniversaries but as far as I recall, that hasn't happened since, at least not with any newcomers.
For what it’s worth, a veteran was revealed on an anniversary in a trailer. The reason Robin and Lucina’s trailer had Captain Falcon in it was because that day (July 14) was the anniversary of F-Zero X, iirc.

Aside from that I can’t really name any other examples

ZelDan

Smash Master
My thoughts on Doom Slayer's Smash chances before delay: Maybe

My thoughts after delay: Maybe

I don't think the delay really has any impact on his chances.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't get why everyone is acting like Doom: Eternal's delay has literally anything to do with Doom Marine's chances in Smash. If Doom Marine in the game, it's not because he's in to advertise anything. He's far from a lock, but certainly has a ton of merits that give him a better chance than most.

I still don't understand where this "DLC has to advertise something!" mentality comes from seeing how this has never been the case. Banjo and Terry have literally nothing new to advertise, while Joker probably wasn't added to advertise an exclusive on a rival platform or a budget musou game. Even Hero, who does have an upcoming Switch release, was planned for the base game and thusly wasn't really intended to advertise much of anything.

Likewise, its a little disheartening to see a lot of people admittedly turn on Doom Marine as soon as he was perceived to be "unlikely". This seems to happen literally every time a character either has something that helps them or hurts their chances. It goes from "X is the best character ever and I would give my first born child to have them in the game" to "X is a plague among this house and anyone who wants them in the game stinks of week old cabbage".

People do give the Smash community a lot of unfair guff, but this is something we need to work on as a community. I understand there's a lot of pressure as various fanbases fight to have a spot in gaming's biggest crossover but we definitely need to drop this aggressive attitude towards others. At the end of the day, this is a video game about toys who come to life to beat the **** out of each other, life will go on no matter what happens.
I think this also speaks volumes to the extent of how Doomguy was bandwagoned. Despite the fact that Doom Eternal's release date had likely very little bearing on his chances, a lot of people saw it as evidence in favor, so now that it's gone his chances are perceived lower when they were always this way.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Just want to clarify, my comment earlier was more about an announcement coinciding with the release of Doom Eternal or with Doom Eternal having a great showing at the game awards, not an impact on Doom Slayer's chance.

However I am now very intrigued what the game of year nominees look like now cus I kind of figured some combination of RE2, Sekiro, Doom and FE:3H would dominate this year...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom