• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Here's a new question which is a spin-off from the one from yesterday:

Suppose Fighter Pass 2 consists entirely of characters originating from Fighter Pass 1 companies. That means you need characters from:
  • Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
ATLUS: SMT Protags a la Hero
Square Enix: 2B
Microsoft: Master Chief
SNK: Marco Rossi

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
On the topic of Arle, I tried playing the Puyo Puyo game on the SNESwitch app, but I couldn't get into it simply because I couldn't read the Japanese. Anyone else have that issue?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Suppose Fighter Pass 2 consists entirely of characters originating from Fighter Pass 1 companies. That means you need characters from:
  • Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
* Dr. Eggman (Kiryu from Yakuza and Tails from Sonic are close behind, but I'd love to see Eggman in Smash)
* Geno (or, if we're not including him since he's a Mario character instead of one from a Square-Enix-owned franchise, then 2B from Nier Automata)
* Razputin from Psychonauts (was originally Conker before KatKit KatKit 's post reminded me that Raz is a Microsoft character)
* GEESE

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Eggman as he's the only viable Sonic character left without big issues tho he is still prominently in the Spirits menu image, hopefully Arle doesn't beat him to it
Square: Geno to satiate the fans
Microsoft: Whoever I guess, they'd all make a splash!
SNK: Marco (slash other characters ala Hero) from Metal Slug
Waluigi

Y’all sleeping on this ************!

All jokes aside, any first party characters that’s not an AT. Feels like we’re so focused on the third parties that we haven’t discussed the first parties much. Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, and Chibi Robo being some off the top of my head
Watch as we get a first party for #5 to people's disappointment that it wasn't Doomguy or Geno, when in actuality it'd be keeping in line with Smash reveal cycles usually getting the bigger ones out first; Corrin came at Smash 4's end, base game ended with the obligatory Pokemon rep, maybe the pass also ends with the obligatory, humbler Nintendo rep (also being a new fighter franchise to match the others, Ultimate also running low on those for first parties with it just having Splatoon) after all the more hype-y third parties have been revealed already?

One that strangely lacks any Mii costumes or Assist Trophies in the base game as well as any Spirits of the most recent game's "protagonist", or any of the other game host characters or other who'd make the most sense for a G&W style moveset referencing all the mini-games, assuming those were all decided in reference to who was going to be the Fighter's Pass DLC. Many other Nintendo franchises worth less salt got costumes; Custom Robo, Chibi Robo, Sin & Punishment, Panel De Pon, Labo, but not this one who was seemingly going to get a character in the last Smash game? And the other "planned but cut" newcomer of previous Smash games we can infer that doesn't now fall under irrelevancy, Dixie Kong, managed to get a Mii hat but not this one.

Though if it IS Ryu Hayabusa that comes next, he may fit into the "less hype characters over time" pattern in his own right, too. And maybe it was just Piranha Plant for first parties of this DLC round, whether he was a base game character moved to DLC out of time constraints or not.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Kiryu or AiAi
JC Denton, Adam Jensen or Lara Croft
Master Chief
Marco

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
If I had to pick...
Sega: Asha
Square Enix: Sora. If Sora doesn't count then Neku
Microsoft: Steve
SNK: Athena. Not the Psycho Soldier Athena, but the Athena from Athena.

KatKit

Smash Lord

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
-Sakura Shinguji
-2B (or Yuna or Tifa)
-Razputin (Psychonauts)
-Athena Asamiya

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
1. Aiai (Super Monkey Ball)
2. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
3. Steve (Minecraft)
4. Marco (Metal Slug)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
-N/A
-Lara Croft
-Master Chief
-Nakoruru

Reason I chose Lara and Chief notably is given their legacy in gaming. They more then earn a spot in the roster.

Ornl

Smash Ace
2. Lara Croft
4. Metal Slug tank. With double jump, yes !

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
-Sakura Shinguji
-2B (or Yuna or Tifa)
-Razputin (Psychonauts)
-Athena Asamiya
I forgot that Razputin is a Microsoft character now; I'm changing my pick to him.

SKX31

Smash Master

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
SEGA: Football Manager. Especially if it's Jose Mou-Okay I'll stop joking around now. Arle. Unique puzzle character, and might be the closest to Tetris that Sakurai's willing to go. Not sure if Sakurai's crazy enough to go with the Tetris moveset. Dr Eggman and Kiryu in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

S-E: Lara Croft. Potentially a surprisingly deep character moveset wise, and is one of the megaton PS1 characters. JC. Denton and a FF villain (Jecht, Sephiroth, Kefka in that order) in 2nd and 3rd.

Microsoft: Master Chief. I'm all for letting Sakurai go for complete broke and have Mario, Chief and Kratos on the same screen. Ori and Steve in 2nd and 3rd respectively.

SNK: Iori Yagami. Something about that crazy hombre made me like him instantly. Maybe it's the laugh, maybe it's the general playstyle. Nakoruru and Geese in close 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Bonus:

Nintendo: Project H.A.M.M.E.R's protagonist.
Namco: Heihachi.
Capcom: Amaterasu.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Yeah same here.

I think lots of people would love the series if they tried it tbh. The real problem is that the games are very inaccessible until ZUN decides to release more on Steam. The few mainline touhou games that are on Steam are well received at least

I certainly don’t expect the smash fanbase to gush over some character they’ve never heard of, i just hope Reimu gets in because i think people are missing out on an awesome game
Touhou's been something I've consistently heard in passing a fair deal multiple times throughout my years prowling the inter-webs, specifically around corners of YouTube, and thanks to Sc_Ev0lution Sc_Ev0lution 's detailed write-up on its brief history, my interest is officially piqued, and I'd legitimately like to know which mainline Steam title in the series is best to start with. I'd think Reimu's addition would be phenomenal in exposing more people to great games they wouldn't have tried otherwise, like how Dragon Quest and SNK's inclusion opened my eyes to a wealthy backlog of quality games I completely missed until recently.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Touhou's been something I've consistently heard in passing a fair deal multiple times throughout my years prowling the inter-webs, specifically around corners of YouTube, and thanks to Sc_Ev0lution Sc_Ev0lution 's detailed write-up on its brief history, my interest is officially piqued, and I'd legitimately like to know which mainline Steam title in the series is best to start with. I'd think Reimu's addition would be phenomenal in exposing more people to great games they wouldn't have tried otherwise, like how Dragon Quest and SNK's inclusion opened my eyes to a wealthy backlog of quality games I completely missed until recently.
My exposure to Touhou has been the phenomenal fan games. Touhou fans are probably the most dedicated you will ever find. The production value of these fan games is mind-blowing. There's ones parodying Mario Bros., Megaman, Castlevania, Sengoku Rance (for those that know it), and the list goes on. The Castlevania ones are especially top-notch and have even been featured at GDQ (GamesDoneQuick).
1570465338310.png
1570465451390.png
I've played a couple of the mainline bullet hell ones but they're pretty damn hard and I only sort of like bullet hell games.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Kazuma Kiryu
Terra Branford
Master Chief
Leona

Objectively the best choices
not a fan of master chief, but damn, the others are prime cut choices... (really like leona's design)

Sega : Hatsune Miku or if she is too grey area or licensing hell with Crypton, Kazuma Kiryu
SE: Black mage (Maybe if Final fantasy had more content my urges for more FF content wouldn't override other SE IPs)
Microsoft: Steve ( I really think it has teh potentoal to be a fun character)
SNK: Iori Yagami (why you didnt grab the letter Iori... whyyyy????)

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
- Sega: Dr Eggman
- Square Enix: Riesz!!
- Microsoft: Master Chief
- SNK: Mai Shiranui

For Sega: him or Kiryu Kazuma (or Axel Stone? Pipe dream? Okay...)
For Square Enix: strong contenders are 2B / Chocobo / Kefka / Sephiroth
For Microsoft: he's not on any Nintendo console, so maybe Razputin instead (or Builder... aka Steve *shudders* )
For SNK: they may want to go for a Metal Slug or Samurai Shodown character instead, like Marco Rossi or Nakoruru

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Shadow
Square Enix: Geno
SNK: Kyo or Marco

Nquoid

Smash Ace
My exposure to Touhou has been the phenomenal fan games. Touhou fans are probably the most dedicated you will ever find. The production value of these fan games is mind-blowing. There's ones parodying Mario Bros., Megaman, Castlevania, Sengoku Rance (for those that know it), and the list goes on. The Castlevania ones are especially top-notch and have even been featured at GDQ (GamesDoneQuick)
Are they parodies? Or more homages? It looks like they're playing it pretty straight from the footage I've seen?

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Are they parodies? Or more homages? It looks like they're playing it pretty straight from the footage I've seen?
Of course it will vary from game to game with some, like Super Marisa World and MegaMari, lean heavily into parody, borderline knockoff territory, while others more inhabit the same genre as it's inspirations, like NitorInc or Luna Nights. I'd say over time fan games have trended away from the former and toward the latter.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
  • Miku Hatsune
  • Sora (technicalities baybee)
  • Master Chief
  • Nakoruru
  • Waluigi
You may not like it, but this is what peak DLC looks like.

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Axel Stone
Square Enix: Bub & Bob
Microsoft: Fulgore
SNK: Nakoruru or Marco Rossi

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man, y’all are sleeping on Ori as a Microsoft rep big time

They’re worth it alone for the gorgeous stage and equally breathtaking music :love:

Seriously, go play Ori and the Blind Forest it is a work of ART

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
  • SEGA: Segata Sanshiro
  • Square Enix: Lara Croft
  • Microsoft: Steve
  • SNK: Marco

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
So, second wave DLC, seems like we may see a Bowser Jr. Type situation with Steeve from Minecraft?
Nintendo- Minmin or Master Mummy from ARMS

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
My unrelated question of the day: Who are your wild card picks for speculation? Characters that you aren't really sure of one way or another, are often not taken super seriously by the community for a variety of reasons, and aren't the immediately obvious pick.

I think Reimu is that for me just because of the whole Indie factor and Touhou sort of being its own thing outside of Japan. I can never place my predictions on her, so she's probably my single biggest wild card right now that Sakurai could play at any time haha.
For me, the character that is not considered seriously is Quote from Cave Story. He is one of the few Japaneses Indie characters that is fairly well known worldwide. I think Quote gets overshadowed by newer Indie characters such as Shovel Knight, Sans, Bendy, and Hollow Knight (or just the Knight.)

KillerCage

Smash Master

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Arle
Square Enix: Lara Croft
Microsoft: Ori (would have said Master Chief, but considering the character below...)
SNK: Marco

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do you mean Villager? Or does Steve have 7 well known alt skins that I am completely unaware of outside of Alex?
You could use Herobrine, a zombie and the Dungeons characters.

I’d prefer Steve/Alex alts and Herobrine, though.

They likely won’t use Herobrine, however...even ignoring the fact they just reference him and continually use him as a joke in changelogs, they also removed his skin from the official skin packs that had him without saying why...yet they still reference him in stuff and even had him appear in a video just a couple or so months ago (without saying his name and it was a short second or two but still)...

edit: maybe replace the zombie, it might not make sense despite the baby zombie animation from Minecon. Idk what else to use, though. They could just use the Steve and Alex skins from the Legacy Console versions as alts, if not different-colored default clothing.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega - Arle Nadja
Square Enix - Geno on a selfish note, Sora for everyone else if I can't get Geno on the technicality of him being Mario, 2B if I can't get the Sora technicality haha
Microsoft - Master Chief
SNK - Nakoruru for Samurai Showdown

Bonus Round:

Nintendo - Dixie Kong
Bandai Namco - Lloyd Irving
Capcom - Dante
Konami - Upgrade Bomberman to playable

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Kazuma Kiryu
Square: 2B
SNK: Nakoruru

Sysreq

Smash Ace
What Sc_Ev0lution said. It varies from game to game. The Sengoku Rance parody, Sengoku Gensokyo, has similar-ish gameplay, but still very different. Then there's obviously games that are completely their own. The game I think I sunk the most hours into was Touhou Pocket Wars Evolution, which is where you collect little gacha figures of the Touhou characters and battle teams 3v3 in an RPG-style battle system using spell cards and a 3x3 grid for each player to determine accuracy and power (some cards have greater accuracy and power up close and some from far away, like Marisa's Master Spark does lots from far away, so put her in the back row).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom