• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I would've loved WoL over Cloud, but I'm in the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast minority when it comes to that.
I mean, they named Hero Hero.

Naming Warrior Warrior would be cool too.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Well take it with a grain of salt, those are just "ideas" not "how they would actually fight" within the game.

Some characters like Simon are about as faithful as you could ever possibly get, other characters are Pac-Man who summons other arcade related things, you can never really tell how someone's going to get translated into Smash.
Yeah but these videos give an idea of what to expect if they did, look at his Banjo video.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah but these videos give an idea of what to expect if they did, look at his Banjo video.
Banjo is a platforming character, literally everyone knew how he'd fight.

For NİGHTS, you'll have to take artistic license because it plays nothing like Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My unrelated question of the day: Who are your wild card picks for speculation? Characters that you aren't really sure of one way or another, are often not taken super seriously by the community for a variety of reasons, and aren't the immediately obvious pick.

I think Reimu is that for me just because of the whole Indie factor and Touhou sort of being its own thing outside of Japan. I can never place my predictions on her, so she's probably my single biggest wild card right now that Sakurai could play at any time haha.
My wild card is Sam Fisher. Everybody talks about Rayman, recently people have been forced to acknowledge Ezio, but for a character that's the Sonic to Snake's Mario, you rarely see much discussion for this gaming legend. While I do think Ezio would take priority because Splinter Cell is currently dormant, I wouldn't be surprised to see it make a comeback, Smash appearance included.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Banjo is a platforming character, literally everyone knew how he'd fight.

For NİGHTS, you'll have to take artistic license because it plays nothing like Smash.
Alright I’ll give you that, but the one thing we can say is a given is an emphasize of aerial combat, but I get what you mean.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I kind of felt it a little unfair to rule out Geralt just because he originated from a novel. I think anyone with a strong video game presence deserves a chance in Smash Bros whether they originated from a video game or not.
Neat. Sakurai doesn't.

Shantae fans; I'm intrigued. Did you come to support the character because you played and loved the games or did you play the games because of the campaign to get her into Smash?
I've been a fan since the kickstarter for Half-genie Hero. I'd heard of the series before then, but the kickstarter made me go back and play the older games, and I really enjoyed them and the character. This was well before I started to get seriously interested in Smash character requesting.

People really have no idea of how popular Touhou is?

Some times I think Smashboards is this hermetically sealed bubble.
I feel the same way about the Touhou community, that seems to assume everyone outside their own tiny community knows about their obscure thing.

I consider Touhou a relatively known property amongst the internet-savvy, so I'd be surprised if there were many people here, on an internet gaming forum, who wouldn't at the very least recognize what Touhou is upon being shown a clip of gameplay.

Not necessarily an understanding of its lore, characters, or importance to gaming, just a "Oh yeah, it's that one with the tons of projectiles".
I only recently found out it was a shooter...I always thought it was a fighting game(as I mentioned before, I've never seen the characters outside of Salty Bet).

And when someone says "the one with the tons of projectiles" I immediately think of Giga Wing.

Attempting to be a succinct as possible:
You failed! Really hard!!

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
My unrelated question of the day: Who are your wild card picks for speculation? Characters that you aren't really sure of one way or another, are often not taken super seriously by the community for a variety of reasons, and aren't the immediately obvious pick.

I think Reimu is that for me just because of the whole Indie factor and Touhou sort of being its own thing outside of Japan. I can never place my predictions on her, so she's probably my single biggest wild card right now that Sakurai could play at any time haha.
At the risk of annoying people by harping on this once again, I think you already know my answer: Pete from Story of Seasons!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, people are absolutely sleeping on this character and series.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Alright, question. For the sake of conversation, and cause I'm curious for answers, let's say there is a Fighter's Pass 2 and every single one of them is from a new company.

So. No characters from:
Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.

Who you got?
1. Ryu Hayabusa - Koei Tecmo
2. Kunio - ArcSys
3. Shantae - WayForward
4. D.Va - Blizzard

I mean, Smash fandom keeps talking down to characters they don't like for being niche while also supporting niche characters themselves
I can't IMAGINE what you mean.

5. Bernard - LucasArts

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I know I already weeped for Saki and Sin and Punishment not too long ago, but I just thought about (K)achi and her hoverboard and how cool that would've been, too... and darn it if that series wasn't a missed opportunity.

On a related note of missed opportunities, I'm glad Smash introduced me to Custom Robo and Famicom Detective Club.

My wild card is Sam Fisher.
Must be slick, must be slippery, must be smooth.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Okay, mine is really obscure, and has, according to what feels like everyone here no chance of ever happening, but here goes:

Any first-party character.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Well that is easy!

My boy Sgt. Cortez!

No? Okay....

1444870981_Surprise TP cortez.gif

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Adol Christin, Ys and Falcom have a very very long history (not to mention Ys being one of the first action RPGs period), and would probably fit in well, but it remains to be seen if Sakurai would want to go that route.

I'm gonna lead that charge though, hopefully not too obnoxiously, but I wanna raise the word of one of my favorite companies in gaming somehow.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Okay, mine is really obscure, and has, according to what feels like everyone here no chance of ever happening, but here goes:

I wish this weren’t so true.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's a new question which is a spin-off from the one from yesterday:

Suppose Fighter Pass 2 consists entirely of characters originating from Fighter Pass 1 companies. That means you need characters from:
  • Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Suppose Fighter Pass 2 consists entirely of characters originating from Fighter Pass 1 companies. That means you need characters from:
  • Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Dr. Eggman
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Nakaruru

osby

Smash Obsessed

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
  • Kazuma Kiryu
  • Neku Sakuraba
  • Steve
  • Nakoruru seems like a given

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
  • Arle Nadja
  • Geno or 2B
  • Master Chief
  • Kyo Kusanagi

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Axel Stone from Streets of Rage
Square Enix: Crono from Chrono Trigger
Microsoft: Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark
SNK: Marco Rossi from Metal Slug

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
To answer my own question:
  • Robotnik
  • Damn thinking of a SE character I'd want was harder than I thought. I guess I'd go with 2B or Lara Croft though I don't have too much experience with their games.
  • Master Chief
  • Kyo Kusanagi

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

People massively underrate Octoling's chances as a Splatoon 2 rep. Sometimes it feels like we live in a weird bubble where Splatoon 2 wasn't one of the best-selling games for the Switch. Splatoon is a juggernaut and one of the main pillars of Nintendo in the modern era going forward, far more so even than Fire Emblem.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Kazuma Kiryu
Terra Branford
Master Chief
Leona

Objectively the best choices

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
  • Tails
  • Lara Croft
  • Conker, even though Master Chief woulf make more sense
  • I guess either Kyo or Nakoruru makes sense?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Waluigi

Y’all sleeping on this ************!

All jokes aside, any first party characters that’s not an AT. Feels like we’re so focused on the third parties that we haven’t discussed the first parties much. Bandanna Dee, Dixie Kong, and Chibi Robo being some off the top of my head

Nquoid

Smash Ace

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Beat - Jet Set Radio
Crono - Chrono Trigger
Raz - Psychonauts
Marco Rossi - Metal Slug

D

Deleted member

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Arle Nadja
Crono
Steve
Marco Rossi

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
NiGHTS (Nights Into Dreams)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Steve (Minecraft)
Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Arle
Sora (Sorta)
Mumbo
Nakoruru

Flyboy

Smash Hero

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Love this.

-Arle Nadja. One of my most-wanted. I love Puyo Puyo. She'd be a unique and fun fighter and bring a bright aesthetic to Smash.

-2B. The Nier series is incredible and Automata is legitimately the best game I've ever played, even beating out Majora's Mask as my all-time favorite game. She's an awesome character with so many potential abilities between her sword attacks, projectiles, dodges, and maybe even borrowing hacking from a certain Scanner (who should appear in her final smash - Black box!)

-Master Chief. This would be HUGE. I've barely even played Halo but no one can deny Chief's legendary status. Plus, Haloid. Dream match.

-Fio. Team Metal Slug Hero-style is more likely and would be awesome but Fio has always been my favorite. As awesome as Geese or Iori or Nakoruru or Haohmaru would be, I think Metal Slug would be an awesome follow up to Terry.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
People massively underrate Octoling's chances as a Splatoon 2 rep. Sometimes it feels like we live in a weird bubble where Splatoon 2 wasn't one of the best-selling games for the Switch. Splatoon is a juggernaut and one of the main pillars of Nintendo in the modern era going forward, far more so even than Fire Emblem.
It might be because Splatfests are over and the devs say Splatoon 3 isn't in development.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Arle Nadja fans, has Sega ever stated why she never ended up in any of the Sega All-Stars games? Or is it just a case of Puyo Puyo very sporadically making it outside of Japan?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
1. Kasumi Yoshizawa
2. Neku Sakuraba
3. Ori
4. Nakoruru
5. Anyone from whichever company FP5 is from

If Nintendo: Elma, Octoling or Akira Howard
If Namco: KOS-MOS or Velvet Crowe
If Capcom: Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu
If Bethesda, ergo, Doom Slayer is FP5: either Dovahkiin or Vault Boy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Kazuma
SE: Sephiroth, Terra or 2B (Im counting Sora as Disney)
Microsoft: i'll be fine with MC or Steve
SNK: really haven't played much yet to give an opinion. So maybe another KoF character

Bonus:
Nintendo:Astral Chain twins
Namco: Chosen Undead/Solaire
Capcom: Jill

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Arle Nadja fans, has Sega ever stated why she never ended up in any of the Sega All-Stars games? Or is it just a case of Puyo Puyo very sporadically making it outside of Japan?
Combination of being a series adopted by Sega when Compile was absorbed into them, Arle only recently becoming a major player in Sega's Puyo Puyo games again, the series only finally starting to take in the West thanks to Puyo Puyo Tetris (great game y'all go play it), and there's also a rumor about not letting her fight due to a company mandate but that just might be hearsay.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Eggman - Sonic
Adam Jensen - Deus Ex
Steve - Minecraft
Kyo Kusanagi - King of Fighters

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
When the average consumer/classic Sega fan sees Puyo Puyo, they have no clue what it is. I didn't even know Puyo Puyo was Sega and I grew up with All-Stars Tennis. Puyo Puyo is more of a niche series, whereas Alex Kidd and House of the Dead are more popular and more known among western/global audiences.

Until I joined Smashboards, I still didn't really know who Arle was, even after owning Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Looking at the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed driver list, and I don't think I ever realised how ****ing wild the PC version roster was....

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

• Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
- Kiryu
- 2B
- Master Chief
- King

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Looking at the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed driver list, and I don't think I ever realised how ****ing wild the PC version roster was....
But they didn't have Bonanza Bros., making the original game better by default.

that and i may have put too many hours into sonic and sega all stars racing wii, but still

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I actually do kind of hope that Axel gets into the additional DLC. I wanna Grand upper Ryu to the blast line. That would be awesome to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom