• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LibraPsoul

Smash Rookie
Alright, question. For the sake of conversation, and cause I'm curious for answers, let's say there is a Fighter's Pass 2 and every single one of them is from a new company.

So. No characters from:
Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.

Who you got?

Rules: It can be Nintendo 2nd Party or 3rd party as long as it's not from the list above. Of course has to be a Video Game character and no company can be repeated on your list.

Pre-script: I have a belief that Hayabusa is Fighter #5 so, even though he would definitely be on the list, I'm going to say he's number 5.

1. Doom Slayer - Bethesda/Zenimax
  2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
  4. Crash Bandicoot - Activision
  5. Travis Touchdown - Marvelous
This is kind of an exercise to show just how few big companies are left to join Smash. Of course, there definitely are a few but still the list is dwindling.
Crash Bandicoot - Activision(Or Activision Blizzard Inc.)
Rayman - Ubisoft
Layton/Jibanyan - Level 5
Sol Badguy/Kunio/Billy and Jimmy - Arc System Works
Doomguy - Bethesda Softworks/Id Software
Bubble Bobble/Cooking Mama - TAITO CORPORATION

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Just wanted to note how crazy fast the speculation thread has gone this year. Pages 1 through 113 were all of 2018, meanwhile the remaining 567 pages have been in 2019!

Of course during 2018 speculation was split between the newcomer speculation thread, leaks thread, and base game speculation bled into the social thread as well.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Just wanted to note how crazy fast the speculation thread has gone this year. Pages 1 through 113 were all of 2018, meanwhile the remaining 567 pages have been in 2019!

Of course during 2018 speculation was split between the newcomer speculation thread, leaks thread, and base game speculation bled into the social thread as well.
Being fair, the first Ultimate speculation thread was in an entirely different sub-board, and most of the discussion went there. It wasn't until the game release that talk about speculation had to migrate.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I honestly haven't seen anyone compare Terry to Ken despite their aesthetic similarities. I'm hyped as all hell for him to release next month. Presumabley with a DLC 5 trailer.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
A bit of an unpopular opinion, but I feel like people tend to overrate how popular certain characters are after they're added to Smash. Even though I disagree with the statement, I'm not surprised that more casual players would just assume that Terry is Ken with a hat. I don't think that there's any denying that SNK/KoF are iconic, but I don't think every character added to Smash is the world wide phenomenon that people make it out to be.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Alright, question. For the sake of conversation, and cause I'm curious for answers, let's say there is a Fighter's Pass 2 and every single one of them is from a new company.

So. No characters from:
Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION.

Who you got?

Rules: It can be Nintendo 2nd Party or 3rd party as long as it's not from the list above. Of course has to be a Video Game character and no company can be repeated on your list.
1. Assassin's Creed reps - Ubisoft
2. Ciri/Geralt - CD Projekt Red
3. Adol Christin/or any Kiseki protag - Nihon Falcom
4. Sol Badguy/or Ragna - ArcSys
5. Carmen Sandiego - Broderbund

Bonus 1st party game rep:

Savvy Stylist - Syn Sophia

I just realized that those characters all fill in the Warrior/Mage/Fighter/Assassin/Thief archetypes.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A bit of an unpopular opinion, but I feel like people tend to overrate how popular certain characters are after they're added to Smash. Even though I disagree with the statement, I'm not surprised that more casual players would just assume that Terry is Ken with a hat. I don't think that there's any denying that SNK/KoF are iconic, but I don't think every character added to Smash is the world wide phenomenon that people make it out to be.
Most players as in? Because I can guarantee you that if you're a gamer south of the American Border you absolutely know who Terry is in passing at least.

Every character doesn't have to be worldwide and Terry definitely isn't but to millions of people he IS a very big ****ing deal.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
1. Assassin's Creed reps - Ubisoft
2. Ciri/Geralt - CD Projekt Red
3. Adol Christin/or any Kiseki protag - Nihon Falcom
4. Sol Badguy/or Ragna - ArcSys
5. Carmen Sandiego - Broderbund

Bonus 1st party game rep:

Savvy Stylist - Syn Sophia
You didn't even mention Kat?! :foe!:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

Pre-script: I have a belief that Hayabusa is Fighter #5 so, even though he would definitely be on the list, I'm going to say he's number 5.

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
This is kind of an exercise to show just how few big companies are left to join Smash. Of course, there definitely are a few but still the list is dwindling.
Bethesda - Doomguy
Activision - Crash Bandicoot
Ubisoft - Rayman
Team Cherry - The Knight (Hollow Knight)
CD Projeckt Red - Geralt (Witcher)

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Most players as in? Because I can guarantee you that if you're a gamer south of the American Border you absolutely know who Terry is in passing at least.

Every character doesn't have to be worldwide and Terry definitely isn't but to millions of people he IS a very big ****ing deal.
Here come the folks trying to downplay Terry's popularity in Latin America. From what I understand he's highly recognizable there. A quick sample size of South American gamers' reactions to Terry will reveal that a safe majority of them screamed with joy at his inclusion and named off every single SNK character in excitement as they were shown in the reveal.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Here come the folks trying to downplay Terry's popularity in Latin America. From what I understand he's highly recognizable there. A quick sample size of South American gamers' reactions to Terry will reveal that a safe majority of them screamed with joy at his inclusion and named off every single SNK character in excitement as they were shown in the reveal.
Not as much as that though.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I honestly haven't seen anyone compare Terry to Ken despite their aesthetic similarities.
Oh boy you should've seen this thread a few days before Terry got officially announced. There were a fair amount of users who were unironically passing him off as just Hat Ken.

KatKit

Smash Lord
You didn't even mention Kat?! :foe!:
As much as I'd like to see that happening, I don't think it will.

Funnily enough, NonSpecter didn't mention PlatinumGames on that list of companies. I guess Bayonetta technically counts as Sega/Nintendo, so the Astral Chain protags are a weird 1st/2nd party loophole of sorts, if we can pick a Platinum rep.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I never said that Terry wasn't iconic in places like Latin America, or that he had to be ultra popular worlwide. I'm just pointing out how weird it is when people get flustered by stuff like "Hat Ken" despite the fact that Terry isn't ultra powerful even though some people make seem comparable to Mario in-terms of recognizability.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Any other characters from Touhou Project you guys think would be cool for Smash Ultimate? (I've heard of it but really haven't played it all that much.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes. He soiled my crops, burned my house down, and poisoned the water hole.

That's pretty bad if you ask me.
And then he had the audacity to ask if you were ok. For shame.

Any other characters from Touhou Project you guys think would be cool for Smash Ultimate? (I've heard of it but really haven't played it all that much.)
I definitely think that whoever they pick, she would be hated online due to all of her projectiles.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Oh boy you should've seen this thread a few days before Terry got officially announced. There were a fair amount of users who were unironically passing him off as just Hat Ken.
Ahh, yes. And Luigi is just Green Mario... Joker is Bayonetta's little brother... and K. Rool is just Charizard with a crown and a conceal and carry license.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Sackboy- Media Molecule
Scorpion- Netherrealms
Tetris block- uhhhhhhh
Shovel Knight- Yacht Club Games
And I forgot Cuphead and Shantae company names

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Sackboy- Media Molecule
Scorpion- Netherrealms
Tetris block- uhhhhhhh
Shovel Knight- Yacht Club Games
And I forgot Cuphead and Shantae company names
Cuphead is Studio Moldenhauer. (StudioMDHR) I believe the publishing rights belong to Microsoft despite them starting as an independent developer. Could be wrong.

Shantae is developed by WayForward.

Troykv

Smash Master

Yeah, if we were limited to the things that everybody know only Mario (and related characters), Pac-Man (formerly), Sonic, and some Pokémon "deserve" to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
It'd be Reimu, she's the poster girl of the series. Still to answer you, it'd either be Sakuya (who you can now play as in Rivals of Aether) or Marisa.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft

Bethesda - The Last Dragonborn/Dovahkiin
Activision - Crash Bandicoot
Blizzard - Winston or Thrall
Ubisoft - Rayman
Nicalis/Pixel - Quote

D

Deleted member

I'm just tired of people writing him off as just Ken.
Given how most people joked about Erdrick being Goku, Trucker Ken is probably a similar style of joke. It's not like he wont be played by thousands of people and will introduce others to a new video game series.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Yukari. She controls "boundaries"; think portal gun with no restrictions. In the Touhou fighting games one of her spell cards is her summoning a whole ass subway train to ram into the enemy. If Reimu gets in I actually expect her and the train to be a stage hazard on Reimu's stage.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Shantae fans; I'm intrigued. Did you come to support the character because you played and loved the games or did you play the games because of the campaign to get her into Smash?
Played the games first, supported the Half-Genie Hero kickstarter and voted for her for Smash. The games are just super fun and Shantae is a great character. It really bums me out to see people so vehemently against her because the only reason is that they just don't like her. She fits all the arbitrary Smash fan "criteria" like history with Nintendo, move set potential, etc. Biggest knock against her is being an indie character but people still support Sans/Frisk and Shovel Knight. So yeah, it bums me out because Shantae is one of the nicest characters you'll encounter in a game but these people will be vicious in their hate against her for no good reason other than they just don't like her for who-knows-why because they obviously haven't played a Shantae game.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I have another suggestion for a character that influenced gaming that no one talks about, the Atelier series. It pretty much invented the item crafting system used in so many RPGs and even non-RPGs. Question is though is which protagonist would they use. Probably one of the five original heroines, Rorona(who's game pretty much revitalized the franchise) or one of the newer heroines like Joker and Eleven.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace

So. No characters from:

Who you got?

2. Isaac - Camelot
  3. Rayman - Ubisoft
Honestly, I'd pick Travis, Doom Slayer, and Crash, and Ryu H. is a super-easy in for Koei Tecmo, so I guess to be more clever I won't use any of those four. And I'll play extra-fair and admit indie companies really don't count as 'big'.

1) Professor Layton - Level-5
2) Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - KROME Studios
3) Sol Badguy / Ragna the Bloodedge - Arc Systems Works
4) Scorpion - Netherealm
5) Kratos - Sony

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never said that Terry wasn't iconic in places like Latin America, or that he had to be ultra popular worlwide. I'm just pointing out how weird it is when people get flustered by stuff like "Hat Ken" despite the fact that Terry isn't ultra powerful even though some people make seem comparable to Mario in-terms of recognizability.
I mean, Smash fandom keeps talking down to characters they don't like for being niche while also supporting niche characters themselves, so I get why Terry fans are annoyed.

Also, he might not be as famous as the other pass characters but that doesn't make "Hat Ken" a legit criticism.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
333px-Th17Marisa.png

I beat the **** out of my friends with this girl in Smash Infinite, so I want to beat the **** out of them with her in Smash Ultimate.

Roberk

Smash Champion
So I have another suggestion for a character that influenced gaming that no one talks about, the Atelier series. It pretty much invented the item crafting system used in so many RPGs and even non-RPGs. Question is though is which protagonist would they use. Probably one of the five original heroines, Rorona(who's game pretty much revitalized the franchise) or one of the newer heroines like Joker and Eleven.
>one of the newer heroines like Joker and Eleven.
But we already have :ultjoker: and :ulthero: in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom