• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, I was kinda hoping for at least that lil difference..I mean, Fierce Deity Link is honestly one of the things Young Link is most known for..though I figured it wouldn't happen the moment I saw they kept him as his Ocarina of Time incarnation instead of changing it out for the Majora's Mask version (this would have let us have each Zelda rep represent a different game was well with Link for BotW, Zelda for LttP/LBW, Ganondorf for OoT, Toon Link for WW, and then Sheik would have been better left as her unused TP version, imo, rather then updated to use the Sheikah garb from BotW).
I think Ganondorf should have kept his Twilight Princess design, its the one game where he canonically used a sword after all besides Wind Waker, Sheik could have brought back her canon Ocarina of Time design and yeah, Young Link being Majora's Mask themed and you'd have the whole cast represent different games in the series.

Oh well...

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think Ganondorf should have kept his Twilight Princess design, its the one game where he canonically used a sword after all besides Wind Waker, Sheik could have brought back her canon Ocarina of Time design and yeah, Young Link being Majora's Mask themed and you'd have the whole cast represent different games in the series.

Oh well...
Yeah, I kind of agree here..if it were up to me, I'd have done the costumes like this.
Link: BotW (OoT Alt)
Zelda: LttP/LBW Fusion (LttP Maiden Dress Alt)
Ganondorf: TP (OoT Alt)
Young Link: MM (Oracles Alt)
Toon Link: WW (Outset Clothes Alt)
Sheik: OoT (BotW Alt)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Remember a few weeks ago how we talked about Heihachi and if it's possible to incorporate Tekken mechanics into Smash? Well I finally found a video that answers this question. For those who believe Heihachi is impossible to incorporate faithfully in Smash, I recommend watching this video since it might change your mind on the character.

D

Deleted member

Remember a few weeks ago how we talked about Heihachi and if it's possible to incorporate Tekken mechanics into Smash? Well I finally found a video that answers this question. For those who believe Heihachi is impossible to incorporate faithfully in Smash, I recommend watching this video since it might change your mind on the character.

*carefully writes down everything*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'm at work so I can't watch it for another 5 hours, can I get a TLDR?

Btw does my avi look cropped off to show almost nothing but black? Cause it shows like that on my end

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm at work so I can't watch it for another 5 hours, can I get a TLDR?
The video gives a detailed explanation for how Tekken mechanics can be incorporated in Heihachi's movesets. Things like tilts cancelling to other tilts. A pesudo-limb system where you can cancel inputs to other inputs and create a long string combo. Different variations of the dash attack. Sidestep attacks where Heihachi can cancel the roll dodge animation into an attack. It's a really neat video that shows that Heihachi can fit in Smash while retaining Tekken mechanics that makes him feel like he is in his games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Love this video! Really helps visualize how the character could work in Smash and as he's one of my my most-wanted that's only a good thing. Thanks for posting it!

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I think no leak has been out on who will be the last DLC character for the fighters pass I suppose ? Only speculation and 4chan Troll ?

In anycase I was thinking about a Sony Rep how do ya all would feel if Sir Daniel Fortesque was the chosen one ? MediEvil being I believe a good candidate for representing Sony.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think no leak has been out on who will be the last DLC character for the fighters pass I suppose ? Only speculation and 4chan Troll ?
Most reliable DLC leaks these days seem to be happening a couple day's to a week or so before the official reveals happen.
So yeah, we probably won't be getting anything too concrete until around when Terry drops I suppose...

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

In anycase I was thinking about a Sony Rep how do ya all would feel if Sir Daniel Fortesque was the chosen one ? MediEvil being I believe a good candidate for representing Sony.
I always thought Fortesque was the most based Sony choice, even before the remakes were a thing.
Only a matter of time before the rapper dog fans chime in now, haha.
Also Captain Blasto is the most slept on Sony Character, even by Sony themselves.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yes please! He would be an amazing never ever!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Typical pre-New DLC shenanigans.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I loved that he was in PlayStation All-Stars is he was the kind of exciting main roster deep cut that I love with Smash. I wouldn't be opposed to him going into Smash proper, but it's a little unusual to me since I never saw MediEvil as a big deal. Still, I like off the wall picks so why not?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't say I'd be impressed. He represents Sony well and that's pretty much it.

That being said, he'll definitely be unique so maybe seeing the MediEvil content might change my mind.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78051910?page=4
GameFAQ made a Google Poll, The Top 20 Most Wanted Results:
20. Leon Kennedy (49 Votes)
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
17. Paper Mario (54 Votes)
17. Rex & Pyra (54 Votes)
15. Monster Hunter (55 Votes)
15. Ryu Hayabusa (55 Votes)
14. Bandana Dee (58 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
12. Dixie Kong (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
02. Phoenix Wright (71 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

I'm suprised Skull Kid got 4th place, nice to see Dixie und Amaterasu in the Top 20.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
I've seen a decent amount about Doomslayer. Interestingly, one of the leaks I've seen says that, alongside Doomslayer, we're getting Mii costumes based on Akira (Virtua Fighter), Heihachi, and Kyo Kusanagi, as well as ones based on Octoling and Byleth, which I thought intriguing.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Thank you for your reply that give me a good insight about Sir Daniel popularity.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78051910?page=4
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

I'm suprised Skull Kid got 4th place, nice to see Dixie und Amaterasu in the Top 20.
I don't think spirit or AT will get a promotion for being a character proper, people need to stop that can of wish that will only hurt themselves much.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think spirit or AT will get a promotion for being a character proper, people need to stop that can of wish that will only hurt themselves much.
It's a poll about "most wanted" characters, not "most likely" characters.

Even if they have next to no chance of being playable, people can still want a character in the game.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
It's a wishlist, of course without real implications for the actual DLC. Interesting to me nonetheless.
And I wouldn't rule out Assist Trophys and especially Spirits for DLC characters after the Fighters pass, you never know with Sakurai.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

Glad to see Phoenix and Bandana Dee so high up. I was also happy to see Grovyle and Maxwell made the top 100

Nquoid

Smash Ace
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

Not sure what it says about the Smash community at large where if you take, say, the top 20 3rd party characters on that list (that aren't already in Smash) and it matches pretty exactly with the speculation scene.

"Everyone likes to be a winner"?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

I really hope Doom Guy is the last fighter of the Fighter Pass but if he isn't, at least this list is good news for his chances outside of it since there is a healthy amount of demand for the character generally.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If anything the most current requested characters now by the Smash community are probably Crash, Geno, Shantae and Sora.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's nice that Phoenix is so high but I do feel that inherently we as a fandom care about numbers and "winning" over who we actually want. I was watching a load of Most Wanted videos to try and find new interesting ideas after the announcement of more DLC and the amount of "a Gen 8 Pokemon! I don't know what it's like yet, but it's going to happen! Grookey's final evolution will complete the trio!" was ****ing exhausting. It's like people want to be right so they can say they called it rather than actively hoping or wishing for people they want.

The exceptions I'd say are Akira Howard and Three Houses supporters since now that the games are out the fans are actually rallying around those characters but God, would it kill people to have fun and not say the same stuff over and over? I saw one video argue for an Idolm@ster rep and while I don't want that at least that's different.

If anything the most current requested characters now by the Smash community are probably Crash, Geno, Shantae and Sora.
Phoenix Wright has placed highly on literally every fan poll since the ballot. Don't sleep on him.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's nice that Phoenix is so high but I do feel that inherently we as a fandom care about numbers and "winning" over who we actually want. I was watching a load of Most Wanted videos to try and find new interesting ideas after the announcement of more DLC and the amount of "a Gem 8 Pokemon! I don't know what it's like yet, but it's going to happen! Grookey's final evolution will complete the trio!" was ****ing exhausting. It's like people want to be right so they can say they called it rather than actively hoping or wishing for people they want.

The exceptions I'd say are Akira Howard and Three Houses supporters since now that the games are out the fans are actually rallying around those characters but God, would it kill people to have fun and not say the same stuff over and over? I saw one video argue for an Idolm@ster rep and while I don't want that at least that's different.
People also tend to shut down out there characters without actually considering the possibility.

Imagine if for example someone came forward and spoke about Terry Bogard being an absolute shoe-in for Smash before his leak/reveal. Not that he's totally out there as an option but hardly anyone spkoe of him before he was revealed in Smash.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Very true. Just taking another look at the 4 revealed DLC fighters, noone would have guessed Terry or Joker. Dragon Quest was only really expected because of Vergeben, would have been interesting to see the speculation regarding Hero without the leak. The only somewhat highly speculated character is Banjo so far...
To predict the next DLC fighters is nearly impossible in my opinion.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
People also tend to shut down out there characters without actually considering the possibility.

Imagine if for example someone came forward and spoke about Terry Bogard being an absolute shoe-in for Smash before his leak/reveal. Not that he's totally out there as an option but hardly anyone spkoe of him before he was revealed in Smash.
Hilariously I have picture proof that me and my partner were wishing for him back in December. I even called it on this very forum in February. But despite all of Sari's incredible support posts about why an SNK rep is perfect you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone else giving Terry the time of day.

Hell, Joker was our most-wanted and if you go back to the support thread there, the last few posts before his reveal were me, robertman, and Sigran talking to a guy who decided to go to the thread to call us delusional for wanting him and us agreeing that despite P5's clear influence on Smash it was a pipe dream. Daybreak in the social thread got straight yelled at for even suggesting the possibility of Joker. Well, we all know how that turned out...

People should have fun and dream bigger, y'know?

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
19. Amaterasu (53 Votes)
12. Bomberman (59 Votes)
11. Shantae (61 Votes)
10. Dante (62 Votes)
08. Rayman (63 Votes)
08. Isaac (63 Votes)
07. Waluigi (64 Votes)
06. Sora (66 Votes)
04. Geno (68 Votes)
04. Skull Kid (68 Votes)
03. Doom Guy (70 Votes)
01. Crash (84 Votes)

This is... actually a very good list.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
My gut says that only half of those characters actually happen as part of Ultimate DLC.

Very true. Just taking another look at the 4 revealed DLC fighters, noone would have guessed Terry or Joker. Dragon Quest was only really expected because of Vergeben, would have been interesting to see the speculation regarding Hero without the leak. The only somewhat highly speculated character is Banjo so far...
Thing is I'd say speculation has adjusted it's expectations accordingly? Joker and even Bayonetta to some extent have shifted people to be looking more at modern classics, and Terry has definitely got people doing dives into what games are popular in regions outside of the normal "Japan, US, Europe" triptych.

I do remember people discussing Terry and an SNK rep a while ago, the consensus came to "it'll obviously be Terry if they do SNK" and it kind of got dropped? Probably because people (myself included) kind of expected the Namco Bandai of it all to get Tekken in before another fighting franchise.

Will it be an obvious front runner though? Who knows!

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Hero I find would've been in a similar position as Cloud seeing as people were asking for Slime instead of tge protagonist.

If you recall Cloud wasn't as requested as the likes of Black Mage for Final Fantasy.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I know the LoL discussion was a few pages back, but I'd absolutely love it if Lux was the LoL rep. THE original Star Guardian. Between her immobilizing spells, reflecting baton boomerang, light magic for like every attack, and her Master Spark rainbow death beam, she's got what it takes to shine in Ultimate.

Honestly they got some great girls in LoL with good chances: Vi, Lux, Jynx, Ahri, Annie? I'd be happy with any of them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's nice that Phoenix is so high but I do feel that inherently we as a fandom care about numbers and "winning" over who we actually want. I was watching a load of Most Wanted videos to try and find new interesting ideas after the announcement of more DLC and the amount of "a Gen 8 Pokemon! I don't know what it's like yet, but it's going to happen! Grookey's final evolution will complete the trio!" was ****ing exhausting. It's like people want to be right so they can say they called it rather than actively hoping or wishing for people they want.

Phoenix Wright has placed highly on literally every fan poll since the ballot. Don't sleep on him.

Terry Bogard was literally unironically 100th place in Source Gaming's Smash Poll.

So yeh, Poll's just polls...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I know the LoL discussion was a few pages back, but I'd absolutely love it if Lux was the LoL rep. THE original Star Guardian. Between her immobilizing spells, reflecting baton boomerang, light magic for like every attack, and her Master Spark rainbow death beam, she's got what it takes to shine in Ultimate.

Honestly they got some great girls in LoL with good chances: Vi, Lux, Jynx, Ahri, Annie? I'd be happy with any of them.
Did you take a look at the thread? I made a poll for LoL characters there. In fact, I think all of the characters you named are among the options, so give it a look if you can!

Lux has certainly been favored by the community too, so that's another thing going for her. I wonder if her rooting spell would work in a similar way to ZSS's neutral special...

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Tbh if Danganronpa comes to Switch I kinda feel like a character from it could be in Smash?

The series has picked up a large following as of recently, it's pretty popular in Japan as is series creator Kazutaka Kodaka, and additionally Sakurai is a huge fan of the series and has played every game in the series as he said when talking about Kodaka's new company, we also don't have any visual novel characters playable in Smash either so it would be a first.

Just kinda something that's been on my mind I guess, take it as you will.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Banjo @ #1
Erdrick @ #34
Lumniary @ #109

So what we can tell is that we have no ****ing clue what we're doing.
Not really. Its just that its sometimes hard to predict a creator and company that sometimes makes a point in being unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom