• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Season of the Villain pass
5 Echo Fighters
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Fire Emblem: Black Knight
Sonic: Shadow
Metal Gear: Liquid Snake
Mega Man: Bass

5 Bosses
Metroid: Mother Brain
StarFox: Andross
Sonic: Eggman w/ Death Egg Robot
Metal Gear: Metal Gear REX
Mega Man: Dr. Wily w/ Wily Machine

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Because Sega has other franchises and Sonic's already in the game to represent the series.

Neither Joker nor Bayonetta are as on par in terms of popularity with any Sonic side-character but having them is far more exciting than having a character from another 3rd party series already in the game.

If they were going to go to Sega again, I'd bet top dollar they'd rather have Kazuma Kiryu than they would, say, Shadow.
Gotta admit that I would love to see more non-Sonic Sega reps in Smash. Heck, I played both Bayonetta games after playing Ultimate and am eagerly awaiting the 3rd game. It would be pretty cool to see a Yakuza rep also seeing as it turned out to be a pretty popular series for Sega as well.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Something like Yakuza or even completely off the wall like NiGHTS/Super Monkey Ball would be cool but it really kill the Smash team to add someone from Sonic on top of all the Mario characters we have?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
But where's Earthworm Jim? :013:
I think that would be the coolest character that they could add.
I grew up playing his games on SNES, N64, and Gameboy.
I loved the cartoon and had the action figures.
There's actually a new EWJ game in development exclusively for the Intellisivion Amico, set for release in 2020.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Because Sega has other franchises and Sonic's already in the game to represent the series.

Neither Joker nor Bayonetta are as on par in terms of popularity with any Sonic side-character but having them is far more exciting than having a character from another 3rd party series already in the game.

If they were going to go to Sega again, I'd bet top dollar they'd rather have Kazuma Kiryu than they would, say, Shadow.
Tbf Capcom and Konami have multiple successful IP too but still managed to get two characters from some of their more successful franchises.

It's not like Sonic didn't have a few echo choices between Shadow, Metal Sonic, Tails(Ken/Chrom style) and Knuckles(again, Ken/Chrom style).

I wonder if we'll ever get word on the SEGA meetings?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Something like Yakuza or even completely off the wall like NiGHTS/Super Monkey Ball would be cool but it really kill the Smash team to add someone from Sonic on top of all the Mario characters we have?
I'd rather we keep topping up on the iconic franchises. Gimme a Shadow echo sure but I'd rather have a Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, character before Eggman or Tails. Sega is more than just a Sonic machine. Kind of tired of people looking at them like they are.

StormC

Smash Hero
Seems pretty clear they have no interest in double dipping on third party series outside of echo fighters for the time being.

I'd rather we keep topping up on the iconic franchises. Gimme a Shadow echo sure but I'd rather have a Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Virtua Fighter, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, character before Eggman or Tails. Sega is more than just a Sonic machine. Kind of tired of people looking at them like they are.
okay but are we really implying shinobi is iconic

like I'd list puyo puyo before that

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Seems pretty clear they have no interest in double dipping on third party series outside of echo fighters for the time being.

like I'd list puyo puyo before that
I'd list Danica Patrick as the number one playable sega character.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Eh.

About as much as I'd expect. Doom Slayer is H Y P E but Geno is a pretty tepid way to start post-Fighters Pass DLC when you put it into perspective.
Yeah. When it comes to new rounds of DLC, the first revealed fighter from said round does help set expectations on what types of future newcomers to expect, even though its not a definitive guide on what's to come. There's a reason why I was so hyped for Joker despite not being a Persona fan myself, as it "opened the floodgates" in the eyes of fans on what fighters could be possible going forward. "If he could get in, what third-party game characters aren't off the table!?"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sega is more than just a Sonic machine. Kind of tired of people looking at them like they are.
From what I can tell a lot of Sega's properties that aren't Sonic the Hedgehog are either barely or don't exist in the current market (Streets of Rage*), are way more popular in Japan (Puyo Puyo), or primarily operate on Playstation or Xbox (Yakusa). I'd imagine that's why most Nintendo fans only know/care about Sonic the Hedgehog.

Even the outliers in Bayonetta, Shin Megami Tensei, and Persona seem to be more associated with their developers PlatinumGames and Atlas respectively.

*According to Wikipedia a fourth game in the Streets of Rage series is being made, co-developed by the same people who repainted Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap so we may hear from that series soon.

EDIT: They need to make a Puyo Puyo X Kirby game and call it Poyo Poyo.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
WHAT IF SCENARIO: Doom Slayer and Geno are shadow dropped at The Game Awards.

How would you guys feel?
I can see Doom Slayer being revealed in November with Terry's release but otherwise the first post-pass DLC fighter being revealed at the VGA whether its Geno or not.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As popular as Geno is in the Smash community, he's not the right character to show off at the VGAs. Outsiders of the game are just not going to know who he is and it wouldn't really entice them to buy the game. Smash fans and the odd person that may have SMRPG would get excited sure but for a VGA reveal the character should have a greater impact.

Persona 5 was a highly acclaimed video game when it was relevant and considered the best rpg last year, so a Joker reveal made the most sense from the current fighter's pass.

If a character was going to be shown off it would be someone like Doom guy, Crash Bandicoot, or Lara Croft.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As popular as Geno is in the Smash community, he's not the right character to show off at the VGAs. Outsiders of the game are just not going to know who he is and it wouldn't really entice them to buy the game. Smash fans and the odd person that may have SMRPG would get excited sure but for a VGA reveal the character should have a greater impact.

Persona 5 was a highly acclaimed video game when it was relevant and considered the best rpg last year, so a Joker reveal made the most sense from the current fighter's pass.

If a character was going to be shown off it would be someone like Doom guy, Crash Bandicoot, or Lara Croft.
Yes. I don't think that they would show off Geno at the VGAs because he is too obscure.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I can picture it.

DLC fighter 5 revealed in November with Terry's release as Doom Slayer.

Then VGA reveals Crash as the first post-Pass DLC character. Good way to hype things up after the Pass.

Then again don't know if they'd reveal two western characters closely to each other...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A beat helmet would be great!

Oh. You weren't talking about the bird.

What's wrong with Spiral Mountain (causally)?

I'd imagine that if they did add a Touhou Project character that character would be the new most hated online character 'cuz bullets. Bullets everywhere. Also bombs.
The non-Omega/BF version makes me dizzy lol. It throws me off. :p

Sigman

Smash Cadet
Still interesting to see how Slime got close to being added.

It's also another instance of Sakurai deliberately choosing the main character over other options. Which might be in favor of say, Byleth over his students.
There would certainly be upset fans who prefers the mascot over the main protagonists such as

Sans rather then Frisk of Undertale

Robin/Lucina rather then Chrom of Fire Emblem Awakening

Pikachu/Charizard rather then Red of Pokémon Red/Blue

Wii Fit Trainer rather then Wii Fit Board of Wii Fit

2B rather then A2/9S of NieR: Automata

KOS-MOS rather then Shion Uzuki of Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht

Heihachi Mishima rather then Kazuya Mishima of Tekken

Fulgore instead of Jago of Killer Instinct

Morrigan Aensland instead of Demitri Maximoff of Darkstalkers

Scorpion or Sub-Zero instead of Liu Kang of Mortal Kombat

Saber rather than Shirou Emiya of Fate/stay night

etc.

if Masahiro Sakurai chooses the latter characters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Scorpion or Sub-Zero instead of Liu Kang of Mortal Kombat
I'll say this again. In no way will Sub-Zero ever be picked over Scorpion. Scorpion is THE face, icon, mascot and poster boy of the series.

Yes there was Injustice 2 but before that one Scorpion appeared in the first.

If any Mortal Kombat character is gonna get in its Scorpion.

In b4 "Violence debate" despite:ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, that franchise was MASSIVE during the arcade/16-bit era. Sadly, few franchises have died off as completely as that one.

What if Doom Slayer WAS going to be DLC Pack 5...but then when they decided to make more DLC, they swapped him to be the first character after it so they could announce him at the VGAs. And then some character with less broad recognition(like Geno) from season 2 got moved up into his old spot.

Last edited:

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Assuming we get an alternate costume for Terry (akin to Joker's school uniform), do we think it'll be f!Terry or "Wild Wolf" Terry from Garou? I think the Wild Wolf outfit is more probable, but it would be nice to have a female character in this pass, albeit a grossly oversexualized one. Maybe a redesign for her is in order.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I'd rather have Metal Sonic over Shadow, the doppleganger Hedgehog bot is for me the OG Rival of Sonic. Plus move set wise and final smash wise my fav Eggman's badnick can be more interesting than shadow.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Assuming we get an alternate costume for Terry (akin to Joker's school uniform), do we think it'll be f!Terry or "Wild Wolf" Terry from Garou? I think the Wild Wolf outfit is more probable, but it would be nice to have a female character in this pass, albeit a grossly oversexualized one. Maybe a redesign for her is in order.
Garou Terry all the way.

I feel people are setting themselves up for disappointment by expecting the silly spin-off design from a game that was not well-received and didn't sell well.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I swear, if we missed out on the female Heroes, yet we manage to get SNK Heroines Terry, I'm gonna be asking a whole lotta questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the silly spin-off design from a game that was not well-received and didn't sell well.
It actually isn't from SNK Heroines originally, it was from SvC Chaos, when Demitri uses Midnight Bliss on Terry.

But said game also wasn't well-received, being massively overshadowed by CvS2.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Yeah. When it comes to new rounds of DLC, the first revealed fighter from said round does help set expectations on what types of future newcomers to expect, even though its not a definitive guide on what's to come. There's a reason why I was so hyped for Joker despite not being a Persona fan myself, as it "opened the floodgates" in the eyes of fans on what fighters could be possible going forward. "If he could get in, what third-party game characters aren't off the table!?"
In hindsight, Joker feels like an exception to the historical trend of 3rd parties in Smash rather than anybody who shattered it. Dragon Quest has deep history with Nintendo and is Square-Enix's second largest franchise, SNK in retrospect were pretty much the next most notable long standing Japanese developer left out alongside Koei-Tecmo, Banjo's obviously here due to his legacy as a former 1st party, and Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Simon all felt like obvious next picks when they got included. With Joker on the other hand even ignoring any fan rule about needing Nintendo history its still feels weird that Persona is here but Tekken, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, and the Tales series are nowhere to be seen.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Well if you look at Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic Mania and Sonic Heroes you have a lot to take for making Metal Sonic a Badass villain for the Sonic Team in Smash.
Sure, he has a few things like the Plasma Pulse, V. Maximum Overdrive and Ring Spark Field.

But that's a lot less versatile than manipulating time and space is all I'm saying.

SKX31

Smash Master
In hindsight, Joker feels like an exception to the historical trend of 3rd parties in Smash rather than anybody who shattered it. Dragon Quest has deep history with Nintendo and is Square-Enix's second largest franchise, SNK in retrospect were pretty much the next most notable long standing Japanese developer left out alongside Koei-Tecmo, Banjo's obviously here due to his legacy as a former 1st party, and Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Simon all felt like obvious next picks when they got included. With Joker on the other hand even ignoring any fan rule about needing Nintendo history its still feels weird that Persona is here but Tekken, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, and the Tales series are nowhere to be seen.
Joker has similarities with another "exceptional" character. Who?

:ultbayonetta:

And not just because Sakurai might like the two - both Persona and Bayonetta have their own very unique identities. Bayonetta 2 and Persona 5 made this especially prominent. Bayonetta 2 basically tells the one who plays it this: "Oh yeah, you're playing as an ultra-powerful badass witch with a sense of style and flair around her, but also real concern about those close to her. Did we mention that Bayo can kick a jet plane without breaking a sweat?". While Persona 5 tells the player: "You're playing as a thief-ninja-kinda Batman teenager, who's unlocked his hidden abilities and seek to teach Japan's political and social elite that they're not safe if they commit crimes. Together with his mostly teen allies. Oh, did we mention that Joker's first partner is a cat?"

Those identities helped both Bayonetta and Joker immensely, since those helped catch Sakurai's eye.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's very weird that people try to argue for Liquid Snake as Snake's echo fighter when Big Boss or even The Boss makes far more sense. I know Snake in Smash is a super weird amalgamation of his MGS2 suit, MGS1 aesthetics, Peace Walker Big Boss's face, Venom Snake's rocket launcher as a Final Smash, and weapons from Metal Gear 2, with a smattering of Naked Snake's camo and CQC, but c'mon.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The Boss would be great. Make her dlc to advertise the upcoming Siwtch port of the MGS3 pachinko game. Or Raiden with a Senator Armstrong boss fight and remixes of all the MGR boss songs for MGR2 when it never:( happens.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
It's very weird that people try to argue for Liquid Snake as Snake's echo fighter when Big Boss or even The Boss makes far more sense. I know Snake in Smash is a super weird amalgamation of his MGS2 suit, MGS1 aesthetics, Peace Walker Big Boss's face, Venom Snake's rocket launcher as a Final Smash, and weapons from Metal Gear 2, with a smattering of Naked Snake's camo and CQC, but c'mon.
Honestly I'd love just about any echo possibility for Snake or just Metal Gear content in general. Still thought a Metal Gear REX boss fight should have been in world of light.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty satisfied with what we got for 3rd partys/new series right now and with Sakurai saying this will probably be the pinnacle of smash games regarding the number of fighters, I'd like them to fill the hypothetically 10 remainig slots by "filling the gaps":
01. Dixie Kong
02. Bandana Dee
03. Waluigi
04. Zelda Rep (Impa, Tingle or Skull Kid)
05. Geno
06. Isaac
07. Rex (and Pyra)
08. 2nd Sonic Rep (Tails, Robotnik or Geno)
09. Sceptile
10. Ashley

Of course, this is pretty much wishful thinking, as most of these won't sell as much as more new 3rd party franchises... I have a little hope for Dixie and Impa as Echo fighters, but right now I wouldn't bet on it.
So to be more realistic:
01. Amaterasu
02. 2B
03. Sora
04. Lara Croft
05. Lloyd Irving
06. Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy
07. Spyro
08. Crash
09. Steve
10. Rayman
11. Dante (because there ist still one open slot in the fighters pass)

However, I'm pretty open for any character joining the already fantastic roster, the only characters I didn't want, were non-video game characters, which Sakurai already shut down, so... bring'em on. :)

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Amaterasu is still my most wanted 3rd party (and most wanted overall), but I have trouble seeing how a character from one 2006 game is going to make it in over characters like Doomslayer or Lloyd, sadly.

Also, I think that Dixie is much more likely to get in as her own fighter, rather than an Echo. That's just my two cents though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I swear, if we missed out on the female Heroes, yet we manage to get SNK Heroines Terry, I'm gonna be asking a whole lotta questions.
No way can they censor Corrin's inner thighs and then tell me Female Terry is appropriate for Smash. She ain't happening.

That being said, I buy prioritizing multiple Dragon Quest games versus prioritizing gender swaps for Hero. Even if some would prefer the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Amaterasu is still my most wanted 3rd party (and most wanted overall), but I have trouble seeing how a character from one 2006 game is going to make it in over characters like Doomslayer or Lloyd, sadly.

Also, I think that Dixie is much more likely to get in as her own fighter, rather than an Echo. That's just my two cents though.
I just don't see Dixie having a chance as a full fighter over so many other options sadly. Imo the Donkey Kong series doesn't seem to be a favorite with the developers and the demand isn't as high for her in comparison to other potential candidates. But I hope I'm wrong and your right, she is my most wanted.
I agree with you regarding Amaterasu, but won't give up hope yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom