• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I'm up for some good Dragonborn discussion myself, with a side of Thrall.
What if you (Sakurai)

wanted Doomguy in Smash

But Todd Howard said...

"Nah, I need more people to purchase The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim™ for the Nintendo Switch™ family of systems, so here's Dragonborn instead"

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
What if you (Sakurai)

wanted Doomguy in Smash

But Todd Howard said...

"Nah, I need more people to purchase The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim™ for the Nintendo Switch™ family of systems, so here's Dragonborn instead"
Todd Howard is the only human being on the planet who can naturally speak in trademark symbols :yoshi:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
For the sake of discussion, I took all the more prominent series that appear in the Project X Zone games and compiled them into a list. Maybe that will give some people ideas, maybe not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super Robot Taisen
Tekken
Xenosaga
Tales of
.hack
God Eater
Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Megaman
Dead Rising
Resident Evil
Sakura Wars
Virtua Fighter
Valkyria Chronicles
Shining Force
Resonance of Fate
Ghosts and Goblins
Devil May Cry
Strider
Yakuza
Ace Attorney
Streets of Rage
Shenmue
Nightshade
Soul Calibur
Summon Night
Captain Commando

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well Chell only has 2-3 games and not a complete series. But I like her, despite not being a big fan.
...It's called a duology...

Also how does that not make her iconic, Portal as a franchise has sold millions of copies, has been unanimously acclaimed across the board, is used in education, has had several spin-offs and other tie in medias like comics and merchandise, she was in LEGO Dimensions and met ****ing BATMAN.

I'm sorry but you're objectively wrong about her not being iconic.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Also how does that not make her iconic, Portal as a franchise has sold millions of copies, has been unanimously acclaimed across the board, is used in education, has had several spin-offs and other tie in medias like comics and merchandise, she was in LEGO Dimensions and met ****ing BATMAN.

I'm sorry but you're objectively wrong about her not being iconic.
Correct, now I think Chell is highly iconic. Well, I think to be more specific, I would say that I only want playable characters who both have a complete series and are highly iconic.

Also, not complaining, but I wonder. During the Smash 4 fighter ballot back in those absolute good old days, why were fans voting for 4th party characters, like Goku, Shrek, and Spongebob in the first place? And how high were the votes for each 4th party character?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Correct, now I think Chell is highly iconic. Well, I think to be more specific, I would say that I only want playable characters who both have a complete series and are highly iconic.
She does have a complete series, the first and second Portal tell a complete story... But hey I'm happy I at least got through to you.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I will still respect your opinion.

Well Chell only has 2-3 games and not a complete series. But I like her, despite not being a big fan.
I'm not so sure that you know what a "series" is.

Also :ultbayonetta:

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm not so sure that you know what a 'series' is.

Also :ultbayonetta:
A defintion of a series, is number of things that are in order.

She does have a complete series, the first and second Portal tell a complete story... But hey I'm happy I at least got through to you.
Correct! But to be more specific when I say complete series, it needs to be like at least 5-6, not just 2-3.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Correct! But to be more specific when I say complete series, it needs to be like at least 5, not just 2-3.
Exactly, a number of things....as in "More than one"

Just because something doesn't fit "your" definition of a complete series doesn't mean it's not a complete series. For example you have a Trilogy of things, meaning just three things, you think that doesn't constitute being a complete series? So like Lord of the Rings isn't a complete series by your definition, even though it is a massive story that spans more than 1000 pages in the books and like barely fits into 10 hours of screen time in the movies?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Correct! But to be more specific when I say complete series, it needs to be like at least 5-6, not just 2-3.
annpanther.jpg

So lemmie get this straight, a series isn't a series unless it has more than two entries in your eyes even though a series literally means more than one?

...Okay bud, whatever floats your boat...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
View attachment 239579
So lemmie get this straight, a series isn't a series unless it has more than two entries in your eyes even though a series literally means more than one?

...Okay bud, whatever floats your boat...
Yes, in sumarry, I only want 3rd party playable characters, who are highly iconic, famous, and have a complete series that is at least 5+ games. I would still consider a trilogy or duology a series, but just not complete.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yes, in sumarry, I only want 3rd party playable characters, who are highly iconic, famous, and have a complete series that is at least 5+ games.
I mean, Banjo and Kazooie only have 3 mainline games--the third not really connected to the first 2--and 2 GBA spin-off games...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I realize that's your goal, but I'm saying Sol Badguy better represents Arc System Works as a developer over their own history, whereas Kunio better represents his own legacy. They would be chosen under entirely different circumstances is what I'm saying and it just depends what Nintendo/Sakurai prioritize.
That's also what I'm saying.

No argument that Sol represents ArcSys better. But I don't think Sol is who Nintendo would want.

And I honestly do think part of the reason ArcSys bought Technos was to get a character Nintendo would want for Smash. Kunio is a very Simon/Hero type pick.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

The definition of series that you gave means that 2-3 games still constitutes a series. So you are wrong.

D

Deleted member

Welp...now let's talk about why Excitebiker will be Fighter Pack 5!
Excitebiker? Nah I prefer the real biker gal/dude which is of course Mach Rider and how they're the first additional DLC character.

We don't have a Retro rep after all.. Coincidence? Yeah probably

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd like to add that people want a Portal (and Half Life) 3 really baldy. So much so it seems to have become an in-joke within the community that the number three doesn't exist.

Yes, in sumarry, I only want 3rd party playable characters, who are highly iconic, famous, and have a complete series that is at least 5+ games. I would still consider a trilogy or duology a series, but just not complete.
Serialization is a big thing nowadays, but back when games like Portal were being made, a game was lucky to get a sequel (mostly due to how having one successful game being a monumentous achievement). Besides, the number of games doesn't necessarily correlate with cultural impact. Fire Emblem had something like thirteen games before hitting the mainstream with Fire Emblem: Awakening. Portal only has two games and pretty much anyone who's touched a computer will recognize the phrase "the cake is a lie".

Also the number of entries in a series isn't really a measure of completeness. Have you ever heard someone talk about how The Lord of the Rings ended on a cliff hanger or was upset about how the story didn't end? How about Xenoblade Chronicles (it has a sequel but it's story is completely unrelated)? The Jungle Book? The story a series (or a standalone entry) has to tell doesn't need five entries to tell it. In fact most game series that go five entries and beyond either tell a standalone story with each game or just give you a reason for doing the things you do and call it a day.

D

Deleted member

So who's the next circle jerk we'll discuss? Doom? Ryu H.? Geno? Waluigi? Tracer? Steve?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So who the next circle jerk we'll discuss? Doom? Ryu H.? Geno? Waluigi? Tracer? Steve?
Probably one of the first two. While I wouldn't call it circlejerking, I do agree we should expand the amount of characters that we discuss.

Though most of the Geno discussion happens in his own thread rather than this one.

D

Deleted member

I'm a huge supporter for Hayabusa in Smash, but it's crazy how almost everyone thinks there's little to no contest for a Koei-Tecmo rep because of Ninja Gaiden. Like, I get it since the series predates back to the NES era and does have some relevancy with the modern trilogy and him being in Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate, but that doesn't really mean anything when, you guessed it, Dynasty Warriors exists. A lot of people point at Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors as a reason to why Koei-Tecmo might get a rep in Smash, yet hilariously enough, they never say that rep could be from any of the Warriors games itself. A Dynasty Warriors character could very well be in Smash before Hayabusa regardless of if they're in FP5 or not.

For the record, Ryu Hayabusa and Zhao Yun are 2 of my most wanted characters in Smash. I know Hayabusa will get mixed reactions since he's getting talked about more, but I really want to see how people would react to Smash Bros Ultimate x Dynasty Warriors since it's currently unexpected.

D

Deleted member

Not sure why a character needs to have more than 5 games. It's not like :ultpacman: is remembered for anything other than his original arcade game and:ultbanjokazooie:'s last game came out in 2008 and his last fondly remembered game was around 2000.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Seems to be the MO right now, but I'm not sure if that's sustainable. They gave off the impression that Terry was pretty early in development.
I think Sakurai only mentioned that they weren't ready to show off the character, not that he was particularly early in development.

Plus the focus was on Banjo so they didn't really want to show off too much just yet.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
For the sake of discussion, I took all the more prominent series that appear in the Project X Zone games and compiled them into a list. Maybe that will give some people ideas, maybe not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super Robot Taisen
Tekken
Xenosaga
Tales of
.hack
God Eater
Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Megaman
Dead Rising
Resident Evil
Sakura Wars
Virtua Fighter
Valkyria Chronicles
Shining Force
Resonance of Fate
Ghosts and Goblins
Devil May Cry
Strider
Yakuza
Ace Attorney
Streets of Rage
Shenmue
Nightshade
Soul Calibur
Summon Night
Captain Commando
These two were disconfirmed earlier on but now that more DLC has been announced I'm pretty high on Dante & Kazuma Kiryu's chances now assuming we end up getting eleven more newcomers. And Tales of, Tekken, and Resident Evil straight up feel like a question of "when" and not "if".

Sysreq

Smash Ace
These two were disconfirmed earlier on but now that more DLC has been announced I'm pretty high on Dante & Kazuma Kiryu's chances now assuming we end up getting eleven more newcomers. And Tales of, Tekken, and Resident Evil straight up feel like a question of "when" and not "if".
I feel like Kazuma Kiryu would be a really cool character. He's stylish and has a lot of personality.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Controversial opinion time, but here we go:

I think Byleth would be a better Three Houses character than Edelgard. While he may be another sword-wielder, his access to gauntlet brawling, light magic, and potentially even summoning other characters gives him more than enough to work with. That's not even counting the fact that the Sword of the Creator is a whip sword and not a regular blade.

Edelgard, while she does use a unique weapon, would probably play something like Ike (using strong range and strength at the cost of lower speed and weak frame data on many moves). An axe user isn't exactly like a spear user, where the design of the weapon automatically makes the character play unlike others on the roster. In fact, the thing that would interest me the most in Edelgard would be dark magic, and that would be an auxiliary part of the moveset at best.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I actually think that if we are getting another Sega character somewhere down the line, it's probably gonna be Kiryu. The series recently got a sizable western following and Sega has been pushing the series super hard lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo decided to go with him. Plus the first two games were ported to Wii U in Japan and Project X Zone exists, so it's not like Yakuza content being in Smash would be that much more unprecedented than Persona.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
If there is one character that I wouldn't mind being broken if they get into Smash, it's Vergil.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
After starting up Yakuza 0 properly over the mid-sem break, I've absolutely come to love the idea of Kiryu or Majima joining Ultimate. Alongside Puyo Puyo, Yakuza would be the next flagship SEGA franchise I'd love to see in Smash Bros. I can easily see stuff like the Heat Gauge system being used for either of them that they can use to pull off flashier special moves or throws the higher the Heat Gauge gets. So yeah I'm down for Yakuza getting represented one day in Smash Bros.

Mad-Dog-Majima.gif

Also random announcement that DRAGALIA LOST IS PARTNERING UP WITH MEGA MAN NOW
Dread it - Nintendo's first Smartphone hero is awaiting an invite. and stealing your wallet through gacha pulls or phones that don't run Dragalia Lost

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
You do realize that many 'highly iconic' series like Street Fighter and Sonic are never going to be 'complete series' because as long as they are popular they are going to continue making games until the end of time. Also a video game IP can be just one game and be iconic such as Battle Garegga. Also, obscure characters should not be barred from being in Smash Bros. In fact Smash Bros often makes them more popular, which is why I would be thrilled if Roddy or Cathy from Top Hunter or Brian or Jason Wayne from Battle Garegga became Smash DLC fighters.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Remember when we thought Porky, Sylux, Adeline, and Poochy were all getting in?
Nope, that was outlandish from day one to expect in my opinion. People just looked at Spirit absences and jumped on them as "DLC" locks lol.

That's also what I'm saying.

No argument that Sol represents ArcSys better. But I don't think Sol is who Nintendo would want.

And I honestly do think part of the reason ArcSys bought Technos was to get a character Nintendo would want for Smash. Kunio is a very Simon/Hero type pick.
I seriously do not understand how you believe for a second that a large Japanese company cared that much about getting their name into Smash Bros... that they bought another IP that doesn't actually represent them or their own legacy at all, just so they could put their name at the end of Smash Bros... in June 2015 before third parties had really been solidified as a major component of Smash... That's just seems like a huge stretch.

I don't know if I really agree with the notion that Kunio is who Nintendo would want with how limited his appeal is going to be beyond Japan, and Blazblue and Guilty Gear are pretty damn important and hot fighting games that have been garnering a lot of attention over the past few years, especially in the fighting game community circles that Smash also runs in. Hell, Blazblue Cross Tag Battle seems to be going for its own crossover craziness like Smash too that has gotten a lot of attention haha. Like I don't expect it to be so clear cut that they would choose Kunio as the legacy character over Sol (or even Billy and Jimmy of Double Dragon fame). Maybe I'm not educated on how big Kunio-kun is in Japan and that's a blindspot I may have. I'll also be honest in saying like, Kunio's design just really bothers me (it's just very aesthetically not pleasing) and potentially may make me more bias against Kunio in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom