• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I love how they're trotting out the same **** I've been quoting for months and pretending it's new. lol

This is positive on my end because it means more possibilities for genres like puzzle or visual novel or shoujo to be repped along with wackier andnwilder third parties. Everything is on the table now.
All third party characters we have come from action-based games, don't they? A guest fighter who usually doesn't fight would be a nice change of pace.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
It's actually quite interesting. Apart from mascot platformer, the other three characters all come from genres where Nintendo don't necessarily dominate.

Yes, Nintendo have JRPGs, but Xenoblade is not Persona or Dragon Quest in terms of general perception.
Nintendo don't have a traditional fighting game franchise, so Fatal Fury/KoF makes a ton of sense.

So what genre that Nintendo don't really dabble in would people like to see in Smash?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
It's actually quite interesting. Apart from mascot platformer, the other three characters all come from genres where Nintendo don't necessarily dominate.

Yes, Nintendo have JRPGs, but Xenoblade is not Persona or Dragon Quest in terms of general perception.
Nintendo don't have a traditional fighting game franchise, so Fatal Fury/KoF makes a ton of sense.

So what genre that Nintendo don't really dabble in would people like to see in Smash?
I can see First Person Shooters being one of them.

SKX31

Smash Master
I imagine Sakurai will still have the most sway, and I've never been 100% sold on the idea of western avatar/default skin characters. I know we have stuff like Villager. But it's first party and I still imagine a recognisable character (rather than the idea of something recognisable) goes a long way to how easy something is to put into smash.
TBF Fortnite does have some very interesting building mechanics to it. Also, having watched the Fornite World Cup one could tell that the last minutes of each round would be tense. What with dwindling supplies, constantly moving and hardhitting storm etc.

If anything that sets it apart from the real "No, never ever in Smash" with avatar / default skin characters: Counter Strike (I do like watching it too). Simply because the playable characters are literally called "Terrorist / Counter Terrorist" (T / CT) and lots of CS (GO)'s maps are based on real places. Including Chernobyl.

Also:

Not just FPSes or MOBAs, I could see something like survival horror (this is where Resident Evil comes in) or Shoujo (Nintendo doesn't have many Shoujo titles right? Or am I missing something?).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Surely Pokémon counts as a JRPG?

But first person shooter, horror and maybe a puzzler. They have some solid puzzle games(Wario's Woods, Dr. Mario) but I'm sure they're not the leaders in that genre.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I can see First Person Shooters being one of them.
The possibilities of an FPS character are so interesting too. Obviously BJ Blaskowitz (spelling?) or Doomguy are the obvious choice, but someone like Gordon Freeman, Tracer, a Vault Hunter from Borderlands, A Guardian from Destiny, or hell even an Operator from Rainbow Six could be interesting, if totally farfetched and frankly unreasonable and unlikely

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I'm really excited, more 3rd-party characters means more exciting, unexpected stuff brought into the mix, especially with all this talk of hoping to bring in new demographics. I don't really play any major western RPGs or MOBAs but I'd be pretty excited for a Bethesda character or someone from Overwatch.

Honestly, if I could get at least 1 from among-
Amaterasu
Travis Touchdown
Professor Layton
Doom Slayer
Master Chief
Crash Bandicoot
Crono
Battletoad(s)
The Vessel (Hollow Knight)
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (if I could be painfully selfish)
Jenosa Arma (I will not be stopped, I will keep supporting this)

-Smash would become beyond perfect for me. I lost the right to ask for anything after getting Ridley but the game is already 10 outta 10 for me and I don't know what I'd do if any of those happened. I'll be happy for anyone getting any 3rd party in, even if I'm not a fan myself part of the fun is seeing how excited others get- I've never touched King of Fighters or a NeoGeo in my life, but when my roommate from Brazil found out about Terry he was over the moon, and it was awesome seeing Maximillian Dood getting hyped over him. Smash is one crazy experience, I tell ya.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Surely Pokémon counts as a JRPG?

But first person shooter, horror and maybe a puzzler. They have some solid puzzle games(Wario's Woods, Dr. Mario) but I'm sure they're not the leaders in that genre.
There's also visual novel/adventure. I mean, there is Famicom Detective Club (and Startropics... I guess), but they're not exactly what I'd call a big series in that regard.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I guess you don't count Pokemon and Fire Emblem.
Fire Emblem definitely leans on the tactics more than role playing IMO.

As for Pokemon, I love Pokemon, it absolutely is a JRPG, it's one of the biggest franchises on the planet. But it isn't a traditional JRPG in the way that Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Persona are. I understand how gate keeper-y that sounds, but Pokemon both transcends the genre by being the behemoth that it is, whilst also not necessarily appealing to the more hardcore fans of that genre?

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
From the top of my head, here's a list of video game genres that don't have playable character representation in Smash, and also some idea on which character could represent them:

-Rhythm (rhythm heaven rep)
-First person shooter (Doomguy, Tracer)
-Third person shooter (Resident evil rep)
-Shhot em up (Reimu)
-Sandbox game (Steve)
-Survival horror (Resident evil rep)
-Visual novel/adventure (Phoenix Wright)
-Puzzle (Professor Layton)
-Action rpg (Monster hunter)
-Open world/Western RPG (Dragonborn?)

Other genre that don't have representation, but I have no idea what characters could be good for Smash for these: Sports, real time strategy, MOBA, MMO and Simulation games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
TBF Fortnite does have some very interesting building mechanics to it. Also, having watched the Fornite World Cup one could tell that the last minutes of each round would be tense. What with dwindling supplies, constantly moving and hardhitting storm etc.

If anything that sets it apart from the real "No, never ever in Smash" with avatar / default skin characters: Counter Strike (I do like watching it too). Simply because the playable characters are literally called "Terrorist / Counter Terrorist" (T / CT) and lots of CS (GO)'s maps are based on real places. Including Chernobyl.

Also:

Not just FPSes or MOBAs, I could see something like survival horror (this is where Resident Evil comes in) or Shoujo (Nintendo doesn't have many Shoujo titles right? Or am I missing something?).
Nintendo has Style Savvy for the shoujo and sim genre, but that's about it from what I remember. Coincidentally a Style Savvy rep is my most-wanted first party just because of how completely weird and fun she'd be.

Another potential genre: sports. Obviously there's Mario Tennis, but there's also Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding. Obviously most sports games are based on real properties so I doubt any real life sports rep but maybe combine with a retro rep and get an NES Pro Wrestler?

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo doesn't really have a foothold in the adventure/VN genre which is huge in Japan. For that they could tap Spike Chunsoft for Danganrompa, or more likely Capcom for Ace Attorney.

Nintendo doesn't do match-puzzle games either, for which the obvious answer is Sega's Puyo Puyo.

Nintendo doesn't do survival horror unless you count Luigi's Mansion (I wouldn't), and for that they would obviously tap Capcom's Resident Evil.

Nintendo also doesn't do MMOs, and this one is tricky. I just can't see a WoW character getting into Smash, and Final Fantasy's already represented. An underrated choice is Sega's Phantasy Star Online, which is huge in Japan, playable on the Switch, and finally coming West next year.

Then there's final frontier of PC-centric, Western-dominated genres like MOBA, battle royale, FPS, squad shooter... I have a hard time thinking we'd get characters from those.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nintendo doesn't really have a foothold in the adventure/VN genre which is huge in Japan. For that they could tap Spike Chunsoft for Danganrompa, or more likely Capcom for Ace Attorney.

Nintendo doesn't do match-puzzle games either, for which the obvious answer is Sega's Puyo Puyo.

Nintendo doesn't do survival horror unless you count Luigi's Mansion (I wouldn't), and for that they would obviously tap Capcom's Resident Evil.

Nintendo also doesn't do MMOs, and this one is tricky. I just can't see a WoW character getting into Smash, and Final Fantasy's already represented. An underrated choice is Sega's Phantasy Star Online, which is huge in Japan, playable on the Switch, and finally coming West next year.

Then there's final frontier of PC-centric, Western-dominated genres like MOBA, battle royale, FPS, squad shooter... I have a hard time thinking we'd get characters from those.
An online rep that is popular *and* on Switch now could easily be Tracer or even Jonesy. I'd much rather the former but it's not impossible. Plus Watchpoint Gibraltar would make for a wild stage.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Only if he's the only fighter who takes fall damage.

I guess you don't count Pokemon and Fire Emblem.
With Fire Emblem, at least, it's more of just a turn based tactics game with a few RPG mechanics than a full on JRPG.

Basically the reason why Final Fantasy Tactics isn't a mainline numbered title. There are similarities, but it's ultimately a different genre.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
With Fire Emblem, at least, it's more of just a turn based tactics game with a few RPG mechanics than a full on JRPG.

Basically the reason why Final Fantasy Tactics isn't a mainline numbered title. There are similarities, but it's ultimately a different genre.
Fire Emblem was primarily a strategy game in the past, but from Awakening onwards I'd very much call it a full-fledged JRPG.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace

A shoot em up rep such as Opa-Opa from Fantasy Zone or Miyamoto from Raizing's Mahou Daisakusen series.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
One genre we've yet to see in Smash primarily is funnily enough the Beat Em Up genre. With the success of River City Girls and the seeming praise for Streets of Rage 4, that is also something to keep an eye on. Kunio would be really fun and exciting for retro fans and would be able to represent a lot of series' and genres with the River City and Dodgeball games.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that what was said completely excludes first party characters, more like they would have to be very specific picks that Nintendo wants to promote. Its easier to promote Nintendo games if the characters are playable in Smash. Though I think we are just going to get 3rd parties at this point. I would have to say I have narrowed down my realistic picks to something like this
1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Jill
3. Geno
4. Crash or Spyro (I still say they are more 50/50 than people think)
5. Shantae
6. Tracer (Much more likely than Doom Slayer IMO espically with them wanting to expand into places they don't have a foothold)

Also Likely
1. Arle Nadja
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Elder Scrolls Rep (Any of them would work but Dragonborn is the most likely)
4. Kunio/Riki/Misako/Kyoko (Hero Style Alts) (I admit this is somewhat my own bias here but we don't have a Beat em up rep yet and they would make the most sense)
5. MOBA Rep (Don't know enough to pick a specific Character)
6. MMO Rep (Again don't know enough to pick a specific Character)

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
So with todays news I really think we will get characters to represent Minecraft and Resident Evil

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
PushDustin is translating the latest Sakurai column right now in a Twitter thread.

This tidbit is probably of relevance:

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Sakurai seemingly affirming that wave 2 is also Nintendo selections, and that they both seem to want to push more collaborative inclusions.

For me, that's awesome news. The collaboration aspect of Nintendo's choices just screams that more third party characters are coming. We don't know who character #5 is yet, but i'm satisfied so far with the first pass. I have nothing to say about Joker, but i know a lot of people wanted him. Hero's inclusion was meant to promote the new DQ game. The franchise itself is extremely important to gaming world, but the characters are not that memorable. Banjo was one of the most requested characters ever and people are quite happy to finally see him in Smash. Not a great fan myself, but i know he's quite iconic. And finally, Terry Bogard, who was a complete surprise for everyone (obscure choice for many) and a pleasant one for me, as i'm a huge SNK fan since i was a kid. Nintendo is permeating between collaborative and fan service selections, so things are kinda unpredictable at this point - and that's actually good.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
I like how Sakurai is enjoying his work.
But, does anyone stayed with a online match with one user?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

PushDustin is translating the latest Sakurai column right now in a Twitter thread.

This tidbit is probably of relevance:
It looks like Sakurai doesn't have any plans on anything outside of Ultimate since it mentioned he isn't working on another game or taking any breaks currently, so it may be possible that those 16 placeholders will get filled in for the next few years to come.

The column is still getting translated, so I'll wait to see if Sakurai will have anything to say about Terry and Fatal Fury today. Otherwise, there's always next time.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I don't think that what was said completely excludes first party characters, more like they would have to be very specific picks that Nintendo wants to promote. Its easier to promote Nintendo games if the characters are playable in Smash. Though I think we are just going to get 3rd parties at this point. I would have to say I have narrowed down my realistic picks to something like this
1. Ryu Hayabusa
2. Jill
3. Geno
4. Crash or Spyro (I still say they are more 50/50 than people think)
5. Shantae
6. Tracer (Much more likely than Doom Slayer IMO espically with them wanting to expand into places they don't have a foothold)

Also Likely
1. Arle Nadja
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Elder Scrolls Rep (Any of them would work but Dragonborn is the most likely)
4. Kunio/Riki/Misako/Kyoko (Hero Style Alts) (I admit this is somewhat my own bias here but we don't have a Beat em up rep yet and they would make the most sense)
5. MOBA Rep (Don't know enough to pick a specific Character)
6. MMO Rep (Again don't know enough to pick a specific Character)

Gonna have to agree with you, if an FPS rep is chosen it could more than likely be Tracer instead of Doomguy. Slayer has the legacy but has done very poorly in Japan, while a more colorful cheerful FPS character like Tracer would be more appealing to a Japanese audience. I agree that it's kinda silly to undermine legacy but it's the unfortunate truth. Though if Activision Blizzard are considered one entity then hopefully we'd get Crash instead, but if not then it's anyone's game at Blizzard.

I love The Elder Scrolls and Western RPGs are also unrepresented, so I think TES would be a great pick. They'd more than likely choose Dragonborn due to being recent and the Dragon shouts allowing for easy specials, though The Grand Champion (with a transformation to Sheogorath as part of the Final Smash) or the Nerevarine would be super cool as well! Though it depends on if Morrowind and Oblivion are ever ported to Switch or if the talks with Bethesda ended up going anywhere.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Is liking him not reason enough to support him?

Mechanically, he is the only character in the game capable of using any kind of BLADE. So he could potentially bring not only his partner Pyra but others like Mythra and even Nia with him.

Pretty much RPG costumes and Fighting game costumes aside from X. We could very well be receiving another RPG character lol.
1.I love Xenoblade 2, mostly for its world, music, and battle system. Rex is not my favorite character, but I tolerate him and it can't be argued that he'd be the pick Sakurai would make if he had to pick a character from the game. Personally I hope he has his late-game appearance as the default look to make that the fighter spirit, plus it looks cool.

2. A stage based on The Kingdon of Uraya or Mor Ardain would be amazing. And there is so much potential for stage hazards. I'd like Giga Rosa to be a stage boss and assault players, it'd be stupid funny.

3. Xenoblade 2 has way too many bangers missing in Smash. It definitely does not deserve just three. Driver VS is my personal favorite.
I like him and his harem more than Shulk.
Even though I have faults with Rex as a character (like his corny quotes about the power of friendship), Xenoblade 2 is one of my favorite Switch games and Rex would easily be able to represent its gameplay and mechanics. He'd also be able to incorporate Pyra and possibly Mythra into his moveset which that alone would make his inclusion worth it.

Oh and Xenoblade 2 has one of the best Nintendo soundtracks in recent years. Mor Ardain is one of my most wanted music tracks for Ultimate.

Even with his competition I'd still want Rex over most of the other characters. He'd be able to bring along Pyra/Mythra which no one else can do as well as utilize some of the other more important blades.

In a perfect world however...

Real answer though I find Rex and Pyra to be pretty likable characters, I dig their designs and as the main characters of their game they're the best candidates to represent it, gameplay and story-wise.

I'm not sure I believe you're being unironic when you just called her Tracer Overwatch.
Useful information I've gathered from these posts:
  • Some people want Rex in order to get Pyrha and Mythra.
  • Somebody actually likes Rex's design (news to me).
  • Some people like Xenoblade Chronicles 2's music and stages. (This isn't a point for Rex over any other XC2 character).
  • Rex is considered the most likely XC2 character. (This isn't an endorsement of Rex.)
Saying that you like Rex is not useful information. You should be explaining why you like Rex. Consider movie reviews: A reviewer who merely tells the reader how much they like or dislike a movie, or that a character is likeable, isn't giving the reader any good reason to see or not see the movie other than their implied authority or the reader's familiarity with the reviewer's tastes. This reviewer wouldn't last long writing such reviews.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I'm more surprised by the fact that Master Chief is a realistic possibility at this point. Ten years ago, it would have been absolute blasphemy to ever consider him for Smash Bros, especially since Microsoft semi-rivaled Nintendo during that time. I'm sure we all remember those days, but thankfully, tiimes have changed. He's received a skin in a Minecraft Game for the Switch, and Microsoft's relationship with Nintendo has been better than ever before. We have Banjo, our first ever Microsoft rep in Smash too.
This is just a friendly reminder that we cannot compare Banjo & Kazooie to Master Chief in this way because it's a lot more complicaed than that. Master Chief was never on a former Nintendo console, much less one of the unofficial mascots of one. Banjo's franchise had its heyday on the N64 and Microsoft struggled to figure out what to do with him ever since. His series was all but dead, so when Nintendo wanted to bring the Rareware version of B&K to Smash, Microsoft saw dollar signs, hoping their inclusion would boost sales of B&K's N64 games on their console.

Master Chief is the face of the XBox. He's Microsoft's baby, a character from a franchise that they built from the ground up, a franchise that solidified their place in the console and gaming market. He's not adopted like Banjo was, he's the golden child.

I'm not saying his chances are impossible (Hey, we got Cloud), but saying he has the same chances as Banjo just because they're both owned by Microsoft is ignoring the insane nuances of their respective histories.

All of that being said, it is crazy how it's entirely possible that our fifth DLC fighter could be from Blizzard or Valve now. That's beyond exciting!

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If they're not going to throw Nintendo fans anymore bones with anymore 1st parties or lost 1st parties like Banjo, I at least hope the next wave leans towards big, A-tier 3rd party picks that are big worldwide like Minecraft, Overwatch, Resident Evil, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Elder Scrolls & Assassin's Creed and not more relatively niche stuff like Tales, Puyo Puyo, Pheonix Wright, Ninja Gaiden, Yakuza, Soul Calibur, everything from Level-5, Dead or Alive, Touhou, Rayman, & indies in general.

Yeah, I'm gatekeeping and yes my opinion is biased as hell towards Western concerns but to be frank the amazing positive response the Sans costume received compared to basically every non-Banjo pick makes me want more 3rd parties who can invoke a similar feeling in the community. I'd just rather skip through continually going through this song of dance of lots of fans being obnoxious little ******* about *insert pick here* they don't know and many other fans being condescending towards the first group of fans about their ignorance and why *insert pick here* deserves to be in over every other potential 3rd party pick in existence and just pick characters everyone already knows about.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Nothing exemplifies the Smash speculation bubble more than people seriously presenting Shantae as a likely pick who's on the level with the characters in the pass so far.

And that's not to say her games aren't good. But it feels like repeating something often enough it becomes true...

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
If they're not going to throw Nintendo fans anymore bones with anymore 1st parties or lost 1st parties like Banjo, I at least hope the next wave leans towards big, A-tier 3rd party picks that are big worldwide like Minecraft, Overwatch, Resident Evil, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Elder Scrolls & Assassin's Creed and not more relatively niche stuff like Tales, Puyo Puyo, Pheonix Wright, Ninja Gaiden, Yakuza, Soul Calibur, everything from Level-5, Dead or Alive, Touhou, Rayman, & indies in general.
I disagree lol. I hope the rest of the DLC is 100% retro Japanese characters that leave everyone under 25 seething.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Nothing exemplifies the Smash speculation bubble more than people seriously presenting Shantae as a likely pick who's on the level with the characters in the pass so far.

And that's not to say her games aren't good. But it feels like repeating something often enough it becomes true...
Hey man, if it worked for Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, and even scored us a Sans costume, I'll keep shouting her name from the rooftops until the final DLC character leaves me crippling disappointed!

Also, I think it's hilarious how everyone was dreading Nintendo's DLC picks at the beginning of the year, and now the news that Nintendo is continuing to choose future DLC is met with applause and excitement haha. They know what they're doing, I guess.

Also also, I'm calling it now, if we do get an Overwatch rep (sometime way down the line), we're getting D.Va over Tracer. Yeah, I said it.

I disagree lol. I hope the rest of the DLC is 100% retro Japanese characters that leave everyone under 25 seething.
I'm in love with the two drastically, almost violently different mindsets that people in this thread have toward the future of Smash. I'd actually love to make a poll to gauge how people want the series to be represented moving forward after Ultimate. Could be eye-opening...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Useful information I've gathered from these posts:
  • Some people want Rex in order to get Pyrha and Mythra.
  • Somebody actually likes Rex's design (news to me).
  • Some people like Xenoblade Chronicles 2's music and stages. (This isn't a point for Rex over any other XC2 character).
  • Rex is considered the most likely XC2 character. (This isn't an endorsement of Rex.)
Saying that you like Rex is not useful information. You should be explaining why you like Rex. Consider movie reviews: A reviewer who merely tells the reader how much they like or dislike a movie, or that a character is likeable, isn't giving the reader any good reason to see or not see the movie other than their implied authority or the reader's familiarity with the reviewer's tastes. This reviewer wouldn't last long writing such reviews.
You asked people why they want Rex, not why Rex should be added. Nobody has to explain why they like something.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Yeah, I'm gatekeeping and yes my opinion is biased as hell towards Western concerns but to be frank the amazing positive response the Sans costume received compared to basically every non-Banjo pick makes me want more 3rd parties who can invoke a similar feeling in the community. I'd just rather skip through continually going through this song of dance of lots of fans being obnoxious little ******* about *insert pick here* they don't know and many other fans being condescending towards the first group of fans about their ignorance and why *insert pick here* deserves to be in over every other potential 3rd party pick in existence and just pick characters everyone already knows about.
Phoenix Wright would garner anything but a lukewarm reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom