• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A lot of characters now have coloured skin alts, which is a major improvement in the gaming industry all together.
True, but I said CSS, as that's the first impression we all get when we first booted up a copy of Smash. It took me months to realize palette swaps were a thing when I played Brawl for the first time and I misclicked the L and R buttons on the CSS one day lmao

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I mean, Japan has been pushing for diversity and feminism for decades, and as seen with Watanbe's new anime which got on Netflix, diversity with skin colours has been pushed too. Although yeah, it's less that Smash has a problem with that and more of a gaming industry problem.
Yeah, and the theme for DLC being "Smash x [Video game series]" frustrates me a little because the posterchildren for most video game series are just dudes. I mean, it makes sense to represent series, but meh.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I understand the hope that Geno fans have. I would certainly be pleased with having Geno playable along with maybe a Super Mario RPG stage and music. But y'all gotta remember that, as a Square Enix character, Geno is still up against the likes of Sora and 2B. Technically Lara Croft too, plus Crono if Sakurai wants to go for a different retro throwback Square Enix RPG hero.

Hope all you want, but remember to keep your expectations in check~

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
I understand the hope that Geno fans have. I would certainly be pleased with having Geno playable along with maybe a Super Mario RPG stage and music. But y'all gotta remember that, as a Square Enix character, Geno is still up against the likes of Sora and 2B. Technically Lara Croft too, plus Crono if Sakurai wants to go for a different retro throwback Square Enix RPG hero.

I'd think Geno fans are more used to disappointment than most

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I don't even like Geno, like, at all, but after the Fighters pass, Sakurai's mentality might literally become "Never ask me for anything ever again." and since Ultimate will be the last Smash game that he can get this many IPs together, he might put in Geno to shut everyone up.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Geno is on the table. It depends on if Nintendo and Square play ball, but I absolutely think it's possible. He might be the "fan pick" of a season 2 like Banjo was for season 1.

The costume not returning at the same time they internally greenlit more DLC is pretty suspicious.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I also don't get how wanting more female characters somehow makes someone virtue signaler or whatever. There's literally nothing unreasonable about wanting some variety with DLC and being slightly annoyed about the lack of female newcomers. Nobody actually thinks Sakurai is being intentionally sexist, but can you not see how half of the population might be frustrated when only .5 of the Fighters Pass characters represents them? Especially if the last character ends up being someone aggressively masculine like Doomguy? Don't get me wrong, I'm a girl and I love me some over-the-top masculine bull****, but it's not hard to see how the potential combination of "two anime teens, an anthropomorphic bear, and two buff dudes" might seem a little dull for some people.

Look, I generally don't like talking about gender politics in this thread, but I'm so sick of people acting like it's somehow unreasonable to criticize the DLC lineup for lacking female representation, or that anyone asking for more is a weirdo who just wants more waifus. I'm a bi gal who really doesn't have much of a gender preference, so sexuality bias really isn't an issue for me. The issue is just wanting some more variety in the DLC lineup and not alienating half of the population, which a lot of these people just wanna gloss over in favor of "lol the base game already has enough female characters" or some other half-assed argument. As you can tell, I'm really frustrated with these female character arguments because you have so many people just completely missing the point of why people actually want these characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
I also don't get how wanting more female characters somehow makes someone virtue signaler or whatever. There's literally nothing unreasonable about wanting some variety with DLC and being slightly annoyed about the lack of female newcomers. Nobody actually thinks Sakurai is being intentionally sexist, but can you not see how half of the population might be frustrated when only .5 of the Fighters Pass characters represents them? Especially if the last character ends up being someone aggressively masculine like Doomguy? Don't get me wrong, I'm a girl and I love me some over-the-top masculine bull****, but it's not hard to see how the potential combination of "two anime teens, an anthropomorphic bear, and two buff dudes" might seem a little dull for some people.

Look, I generally don't like talking about gender politics in this thread, but I'm so sick of people acting like it's somehow unreasonable to criticize the DLC lineup for lacking female representation, or that anyone asking for more is a weirdo who just wants more waifus. I'm a bi gal who really doesn't have much of a gender preference, so sexuality bias really isn't an issue for me. The issue is just wanting some more variety in the DLC lineup and not alienating half of the population, which a lot of these people just wanna gloss over in favor of "lol the base game already has enough female characters" or some other half-***** argument. As you can tell, I'm really frustrated with these female character arguments because you have so many people just completely missing the point of why people actually want these characters.
I think it's at least optimistic that I have seen across the board people decrying the weak female representation on the Fighters Pass. On many sites, not just here, it is becoming a more talked about problem. We can only hope Nintendo is listening. I really think season two should have at least two female characters to make up for them being MIA in season 1.

Like, I love Kazooie. She's fantastic and perfect. She might be my single favorite Rare character. But she is not a full character in Smash, and it really bothers me when people use her as a "gotcha" for the lack of female representation on the Pass. It's always done in bad faith. Even I'm guilty of referring to Banjo & Kazooie as just "Banjo."

Hopefully Nintendo characters are not off the table. Dixie Kong is long overdue and would make both old school Nintendo fans and people wanting more female characters happy.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Look, I generally don't like talking about gender politics in this thread, but I'm so sick of people acting like it's somehow unreasonable to criticize the DLC lineup for lacking female representation, or that anyone asking for more is a weirdo who just wants more waifus.
Like, I love Kazooie. She's fantastic and perfect. She might be my single favorite Rare character. But she is not a full character in Smash, and it really bothers me when people use her as a "gotcha" for the lack of female representation on the Pass. It's always done in bad faith. Even I'm guilty of just referring to Banjo & Kazooie as just "Banjo."
As someone who made a thread in the Hero forum in the Characters section of this site about female DQ 3 and 4 Hero's absence, I can confirm I saw both of these and it was very frustrating.

I wouldn't want these kinds of arguments thrown against me when I wish there were more realistically-portrayed autistic leads in games, as someone on the spectrum. Women...put up with a lot, to put it very lightly.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Assist Trophies are allowed, my ideal season 2 would be:

Dixie Kong
Bomberman
Classic Ganon
Jill Valentine with Leon Kennedy echo
Crash Bandicoot

I wanted to include Bandana Dee but 3 platforming mascots seemed a bit much. More cartoony characters and more women, please.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If Assist Trophies are allowed, my ideal season 2 would be:

Dixie Kong
Bomberman
Classic Ganon
Jill Valentine with Leon Kennedy echo
Crash Bandicoot

I wanted to include Bandana Dee but 3 platforming mascots seemed a bit much. More cartoony characters and more women, please.
Ehhh, I feel that there's already a lot of cartoony characters which is part of my issue with Smash's diversity, it's not just racial or based on gender but also visually as we have a **** ton of cartoony characters. People decry characters for looking anime so I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite turned out to be true and people could be tired of all these super cartoony characters. Not saying you're wrong as I'd gladly pay money for the characters you chose, it was just kind of topical for the last few posts so it was still on my mind and I don't want to assume the pushback against 'anime' characters is specifically because they're mostly JRPG characters

StormC

Smash Hero
Ehhh, I feel that there's already a lot of cartoony characters which is part of my issue with Smash's diversity, it's not just racial or based on gender but also visually as we have a **** ton of cartoony characters. People decry characters for looking anime so I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite turned out to be true and people could be tired of all these super cartoony characters. Not saying you're wrong as I'd gladly pay money for the characters you chose, it was just kind of topical for the last few posts so it was still on my mind and I don't want to assume the pushback against 'anime' characters is specifically because they're mostly JRPG characters
"Cartoony" is a broad range, though. K. Rool and Bomberman are both "cartoony" but look nothing alike. Or Isabelle and Incineroar. Or Banjo and Sonic.

Nothing wrong with realistic humanoid characters, but it's objectively more difficult to make them stand out. Jill absolutely would, though.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Rayman
Jill Valentine
Lara Croft
Doomguy
Sora
Crash Bandicoot

Any of those would make me a happy gal.

At this point I’m kinda expecting all DLC to be 3rd Party. Seems like Sakurai’s MO - celebrate video game history not just Nintendo history

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"Cartoony" is a broad range, though. K. Rool and Bomberman are both "cartoony" but look nothing alike. Or Isabelle and Incineroar. Or Banjo and Sonic.

Nothing wrong with realistic humanoid characters, but it's objectively more difficult to make them stand out. Jill absolutely would, though.
While you're right that there's a broad range, again, a significant chunk of Smash is already super cartoony and all look like they'd come from a kid's block on a saturday morning. They mostly look different from one another but they also feel like the share the same general style, I think I wasn't clear enough with that admittedly. Getting back to Sol, he'd stand out due to his series having a metal aesthetic nothing in Smash seems to share, whereas Terry Bogard is peak 80's/90's anime so despite being another blonde dude, he sticks out from the rest of the cast as not many, if any Smash characters share the same style

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
That's a pretty interesting statement for a user named "Impa4Smash" :yoshi:
Lol I have given up on Impa (for Ultimate anyway). I’ll be ecstatic if I’m proven wrong but trying to temper my expectations

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Right now out of all the DLC fighters, I've had 3 pleasings and 1 heartbreaker.
2 hell yeahs and 2 mehs.

At this point, since we know we have more than 1 more character left, my number one wanted character is Kunio from the Kunio-kun series a.k.a. River City Ransom. Its pretty well known and popular in the West and Japan. Its a big NES series and its from a 3rd party. You could easily have all of the main characters in the game, Kunio/Riki/Kyoko/Misako as alts just like Hero is done. Kunio is basically the perfect pick lots of history, one of the last big NES games to not have representation, large amount of games to pull moves, spirits, music, a stage from etc.
I like this guy.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I think part of that has to do with the lack of POC video game characters to choose from when it comes to Smash, and maybe the fact that Japan obviously isn't as diverse as a place like the states. I can't imagine too many black characters are coming out of Japan TBH.
Part of the problem is, even games with diverse casts, like a lot of fighting games, the "main" character is never the POC. And since Smash always goes with main characters...

Classic Ganon
You can't have Classic Ganondorf. That moveset is reserved for Captain Falcon's echo, Black Shadow.

StormC

Smash Hero
While you're right that there's a broad range, again, a significant chunk of Smash is already super cartoony and all look like they'd come from a kid's block on a saturday morning. They mostly look different from one another but they also feel like the share the same general style, I think I wasn't clear enough with that admittedly. Getting back to Sol, he'd stand out due to his series having a metal aesthetic nothing in Smash seems to share, whereas Terry Bogard is peak 80's/90's anime so despite being another blonde dude, he sticks out from the rest of the cast as not many, if any Smash characters share the same style
I would honestly love Sol, though I kinda worry his design wouldn't translate well to a full 3D fighter, lol.

But I don't think the focus on cartoony mascots is a problem. This Fighters Pass has been mostly about humanoid characters (one being Joker who I loved), so season 2 swerving in the other direction would be refreshing, at least for me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I would honestly love Sol, though I kinda worry his design wouldn't translate well to a full 3D fighter, lol.

But I don't think the focus on cartoony mascots is a problem. This Fighters Pass has been mostly about humanoid characters (one being Joker who I loved), so season 2 swerving in the other direction would be refreshing, at least for me.
Oh I'm not saying that it's a focus, just rambling a bit as it's the same thing as all the JRPG characters but I rarely see people complain about the cartoony characters, to which I feel may be because of the people who scream anime typically not liking JRPGs but having grown up when platform mascots were as popular as battle royales are now and FPS were for a while

Onua

Smash Journeyman
we can still hope that terry gets a girl alt.
Assuming hayabusa or doomguy is next terry is like the only person in the first pack who could have a girl alt so im hoping for it

D

Deleted member

I don't know, I've heard a lot of female gamers on here pretty upset, basically saying they only like to play with female characters. They definitely aren't happy.
Idunno, I don't understand the concept. I play as male and female characters alike basically. My current main in Ultimate is Zelda with a pocket Lucina, and in 4 I ran Cloud and ZSS. Brawl I ran Snake, Melee Marth and Mario. And my all time most wanteds have been Lyn and Banjo-Kazooie. I don't understand the sentiment that characters in videogames need to match your sex in order to find them appealing.

To me it just feels disingenuous when people say that "we NEED female fighters to appeal to female gamers" when I know most girls generally don't care. I know plenty of girls who play Smash, that don't really much care for the sex of the character in order to play them. Hell, if anything, in my experience with playing with female friends, they're more drawn to "cute" characters like Kirby and Pikachu, than girl fighters. In fact, in most cases as well, they'll opt for a pretty boy like Link or Cloud before another female fighter like Peach, Zelda, or Samus.

All I'm saying is I wish people were more honest when saying why they want more of a specific type of character, rather than try and take the moral highground on some nonexisten percieved injustice. That's all. Like, I'm not ashamed to admit the fact that one of the reasons I picked up Zelda in Ultimate is cause I really liked her new design. There's no moral or ethical reason for why I picked her, I just thought she was pretty.

I'm frankly astounded that you've managed to miss the point of most people asking for more female characters in Smash by this much.
And what point would that be?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Sora isn’t a Square Enix character (not that this bull**** competitiveness has ever mattered, now that we have more DLC, we could theoretically end up with as many reps from companies as we want), he’s Disney with little more than a courtesy call to Square Enix. 2B has never appeared on a Nintendo console, so she’s out (I’m not going to count a single costume that looks like her in Phantasy Star Online 2). Crono literally comes from a game series more dead than Super Mario RPG (yes, Cross exists, but the entire series literally has no future according to Square Enix) and is much less requested of a character by several degrees.

Lara Croft is the only one really worth bringing up. And while she is an icon, she’s also not Japanese (I do think that creates one extra hurdle for characters) nor does she have fan support or Sakurai bias. Tomb Raider basically has always performed horrendously in Japan too, even in its heyday, so she’s not the icon over there and that hurts her quite a bit too.

Not to mention, the whole “more iconic” characters over “less iconic” ones went out the window when Banjo & Kazooie were chosen as the Microsoft reps. It’s just what Sakurai prioritizes and prefers, and he likes Geno and knows there is fan demand for him, so it’s seems pretty likely right now. Especially since Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were the titans that arguably had to be represented first.

Idunno, I don't understand the concept. I play as male and female characters alike basically. My current main in Ultimate is Zelda with a pocket Lucina, and in 4 I ran Cloud and ZSS. Brawl I ran Snake, Melee Marth and Mario. And my all time most wanteds have been Lyn and Banjo-Kazooie. I don't understand the sentiment that characters in videogames need to match your sex in order to find them appealing.

To me it just feels disingenuous when people say that "we NEED female fighters to appeal to female gamers" when I know most girls generally don't care. I know plenty of girls who play Smash, that don't really much care for the sex of the character in order to play them. Hell, if anything, in my experience with playing with female friends, they're more drawn to "cute" characters like Kirby and Pikachu, than girl fighters. In fact, in most cases as well, they'll opt for a pretty boy like Link or Cloud before another female fighter like Peach, Zelda, or Samus.

All I'm saying is I wish people were more honest when saying why they want more of a specific type of character, rather than try and take the moral highground on some nonexisten percieved injustice. That's all. Like, I'm not ashamed to admit the fact that one of the reasons I picked up Zelda in Ultimate is cause I really liked her new design. There's no moral or ethical reason for why I picked her, I just thought she was pretty.

And what point would that be?
The point that you're continuing to miss in your conversation about female characters. Representation is specifically the point the majority of people are discussing when they bring up "more female fighters" or "more fighters of color." It matters to people that they see characters that can reflect their background in meaningful ways and it promotes further normalization of diversity in a roster of characters. It means something to people to be taken seriously in fictional works and media, especially when they have traditionally been excluded from most of it most of their lives. Something that is incredibly easy to take for granted when you've grown up around characters like you your entire life (speaking from a racial, gender, and sexuality standpoint).

Not all women care about representation in media. But plenty of them also do, and there are some in this thread directly pushing for more representation. Literally any issue you bring to the table will have different sides to the discussion, so it's not some sort of mark against the discussion at large. You keep bringing up this idea of "disingenuous statements" for no good reason. Nobody is saying they speak for all the people of their gender and/or sex when they make statements about representation and a desire for female characters. We all have specific anecdotal evidence that pushes us in certain directions (I have had friends where the women, or the lack thereof on the roster, has been a sticking point with the game for them). And it is a growing sentiment in some areas of the Smash community that some people like to see the roster become more diverse in meaningful ways.

Pretending that people aren't being honest in their calls for representation though, is kind of a **** move. There's an undeniably higher percentage of male characters in the game and males continued to be prioritized as inclusions from new series traditionally focus on games that were made for young, white, males in the first place and thus have a male main character that gets included. Now, Smash is just a reflection of the industry, so there's a more nuanced criticism of everything involved, and that does require some further dissection and analysis of how the industry as a whole has dealt with diversity since its inception (Hint: Poorly and oftentimes completely unaware of its own prejudices). But Smash is also a franchise that could potentially choose meaningful female representatives to add like Shantae, like Lara Croft, like Jill Valentine, and so on. People are more than capable of recognizing the lack of female characters (or characters of color/minority status) and deciding that they would like more characters that reflect the diversity they either belong to or see in their world without some sort of ulterior motive. Representation matters to these people and that's just that.

It's fine if you don't understand the concept or just play as characters because they're pretty, but don't bring down other people because of their interest in working towards and supporting the ideas of representation in the Smash roster.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

we can still hope that terry gets a girl alt.
Assuming hayabusa or doomguy is next terry is like the only person in the first pack who could have a girl alt so im hoping for it
Terry isn't gonna be getting his "pranked" alt at all, as the whole concept is basically a joke that began in Capcom vs SNK where Dimitri's magic could swap the sexes of characters as part of one of his Supers. He only showed up again in SNK Heroines because it's mother****in Terry Bogard, and it was basically the only way they could put him into a game featuring all female fighters, all the while making a callback to an old joke. It's not a recurring thing with Terry, nor is it an aspect of his charecter. He's not Ranma. It would be misrepresentative of his character to feature the pranked alt at all, the same way you do for characters like Villager or Corrin or Robin, which are player avatars. It would give players not familiar with Terry the impression that you can select his sex within the games as part of his character, when that's not the case at all. Like, it's akin to wishing Linkle gets into Ultimate as a skin for Link. It's never gonna happen. FemTerry is about as canonical as Linkle. As in, not at all. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment by hoping it happens, because it's guaranteed not to.

If Terry even gets an alt at all, it'll be his look from Garou Mark of the Wolves with the neck long hair, and the brown jacket, as that's another very iconic look for him. It's also canonical.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Considering the lore behind Terri, I'd rather not as that **** would literally be trauma enducing irl
If we get "genderbent as a funny joke" Terry alt but not female Dragon Quest III and IV heroes, I'd scream.

Sora isn’t a Square Enix character (not that this bull**** competitiveness has ever mattered, now that we have more DLC, we could theoretically end up with as many reps from companies as we want), he’s Disney with little more than a courtesy call to Square Enix. 2B has never appeared on a Nintendo console, so she’s out (I’m not going to count a single costume that looks like her in Phantasy Star Online 2). Crono literally comes from a game series more dead than Super Mario RPG (yes, Cross exists, but the entire series literally has no future according to Square Enix) and is much less requested of a character by several degrees.

Lara Croft is the only one really worth bringing up. And while she is an icon, she’s also not Japanese (I do think that creates one extra hurdle for characters) nor does she have fan support or Sakurai bias. Tomb Raider basically has always performed horrendously in Japan too, even in its heyday, so she’s not the icon over there and that hurts her quite a bit too.

Not to mention, the whole “more iconic” characters over “less iconic” ones went out the window when Banjo & Kazooie were chosen as the Microsoft reps. It’s just what Sakurai prioritizes and prefers, and he likes Geno and knows there is fan demand for him, so it’s seems pretty likely right now. Especially since Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were the titans that arguably had to be represented first.
I suppooooooooooose, but while you have pretty good counterarguments for Crono and Lara, and you explained the technicality for Sora, I still wouldn't count out 2B just yet. She hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console yet, but while Sakurai keeps bringing that up for various third-party newcomers, he's never outright stated that it's a hard rule.

Sakurai has made the impossible possible and broken tons of fan rules already. So I say 2B is on the same level as Geno.

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I think Crash is the only character I'd really really want that I think is slightly possible. I want Agumon but never expect it.

Would enjoy Rayman. Totally cool with Geno getting in for the fans.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
There are literally women gamers on this very site saying that they want more than "pretty boys" and that their reasoning for wanting more female representation in Smash has nothing to do with what they find attractive on a surface level. Not everyone is choosing their characters based on sex appeal or aw factor. The "perceived injustices" you're talking about are clearly not as nonexistent as you'd like to think.

There's also no reason to get upset at people wanting more women in Smash because, like...there are still so many female characters that would fit perfectly. Shantae, Amaterasu, Jill Valentine, Dixie Kong, Lara Croft, Twintelle, Min Min, Urbosa, Tetra...and, whoa, not all of them would be exciting simply because of their "waifu" status (or, in the case of Ammy, Dixie, and Tetra, lack thereof). They would also add some really fun and diverse movesets into Smash.

It's okay that there's a little bit of controversy over the Fighter's Pass. I think, as long as it doesn't turn into a mindless screaming match, this kind of dialogue is important to have. Women want woman representation for a variety of reasons, and I don't think it's right or fair for a guy to tell them that they're wrong, that's all.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Terry isn't gonna be getting his "pranked" alt at all, as the whole concept is basically a joke that began in Capcom vs SNK where Dimitri's magic could swap the sexes of characters as part of one of his Supers. He only showed up again in SNK Heroines because it's mother****in Terry Bogard, and it was basically the only way they could put him into a game featuring all female fighters, all the while making a callback to an old joke. It's not a recurring thing with Terry, nor is it an aspect of his charecter. He's not Ranma. It would be misrepresentative of his character to feature the pranked alt at all, the same way you do for characters like Villager or Corrin or Robin, which are player avatars. It would give players not familiar with Terry the impression that you can select his sex within the games as part of his character, when that's not the case at all. Like, it's akin to wishing Linkle gets into Ultimate as a skin for Link. It's never gonna happen. FemTerry is about as canonical as Linkle. As in, not at all. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment by hoping it happens, because it's guaranteed not to.

If Terry even gets an alt at all, it'll be his look from Garou Mark of the Wolves with the neck long hair, and the brown jacket, as that's another very iconic look for him. It's also canonical.
You seem really heated about this for no reason. Theres nothing wrong w ppl wanted girl terry lol. Shes popular enough to justify it

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You seem really heated about this for no reason. Theres nothing wrong w ppl wanted girl terry lol. Shes popular enough to justify it
Is she actually? Or are people just REALLY desperate for ANY female representation in the Fighters Pass at this point?

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Is she actually? Or are people just REALLY desperate for ANY female representation in the Fighters Pass at this point?
If you look anywhere that isnt smash related most ppl say "it'd be hype if fem terry was in" on top of the fact fem terry literally got a lot of ppl to actually buy snk heroines
Its just for some reason some smash ppl seem against it when everywhere else (facebook, 4chan, twitter, word of mouth, reddit) shes wanted
And yes shes an ez char to slap in the pack as a girl fighter which we desperately need this pack

Also the only thing stopping her is if sakurai wants her or not

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know, I watched a lot of reactions to the Terry trailer.

A lot of folks weren't that familiar with any of the SNK characters.

But some of them were, and almost without exception, those people were like "NO NO NO! Oh thank god..." when it got to Nakoruru.

Seems like SNK fans hate Nakoruru for some reason.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
It kind of sucks that two of the most likely female characters left are Jill and Tracer, both of whom have characters from their company/franchise that are more likely.

I'm sure there are others like Lara Croft and first party characters that could crop up. But it'd be disingenuous to say that Lara Croft being in the pass might cause this website to burn down if it came at the cost of Geno/Sora....

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, you'd be hard-pressed to find a series right now that's "Smash x Something" with a female lead other than, like, RE and Tomb Raider since that's what's going to be Fighter 5--a MC from a 3rd party. Unless anyone else has any retro sleeper ideas ala Contra/Ninja Gaiden

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Look, I generally don't like talking about gender politics in this thread, but I'm so sick of people acting like it's somehow unreasonable to criticize the DLC lineup for lacking female representation, or that anyone asking for more is a weirdo who just wants more waifus. I'm a bi gal who really doesn't have much of a gender preference, so sexuality bias really isn't an issue for me. The issue is just wanting some more variety in the DLC lineup and not alienating half of the population, which a lot of these people just wanna gloss over in favor of "lol the base game already has enough female characters" or some other half-***** argument. As you can tell, I'm really frustrated with these female character arguments because you have so many people just completely missing the point of why people actually want these characters.
I'd also say it's not entirely unreasonable for someone to want more female because they got (most of) their male most wanteds already. That's about where I am.Almost every male/masculine character I've wanted in Smash is now in Smash (with the exception of Vaati and Yuri Lowell). This really just leaves me with a backlog of female characters in my most wanted lists (Ashley, Reimu and Shantae being the big ones). Looking at the roster as a whole, There's really only two female characters I wanted that got in (Lucina and Inkling). Even if it's a female I don't want, I'll take it if that means getting closer to a female character I do want.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I think rn girl terry or "terri" is being so highly demanded on twitter or by ppl is cause shes kinda all we can hope for when it comes to realistic girl fighters on the pass right now. Its completely reasonable why people are hopeful

D

Deleted member

How am I heated about it?

Giving a reasonable explanation as for why it's definitely not going to happen in no way implies I'm upset. I don't care that people want it or not. I'm just informing you, it's 100% not going to happen, no matter how badly you want it to.

There are literally women gamers on this very site saying that they want more than "pretty boys" and that their reasoning for wanting more female representation in Smash has nothing to do with what they find attractive on a surface level. Not everyone is choosing their characters based on sex appeal or aw factor. The "perceived injustices" you're talking about are clearly not as nonexistent as you'd like to think.

There's also no reason to get upset at people wanting more women in Smash because, like...there are still so many female characters that would fit perfectly. Shantae, Amaterasu, Jill Valentine, Dixie Kong, Lara Croft, Twintelle, Min Min, Urbosa, Tetra...and, whoa, not all of them would be exciting simply because of their "waifu" status (or, in the case of Ammy, Dixie, and Tetra, lack thereof). They would also add some really fun and diverse movesets into Smash.

It's okay that there's a little bit of controversy over the Fighter's Pass. I think, as long as it doesn't turn into a mindless screaming match, this kind of dialogue is important to have. Women want woman representation for a variety of reasons, and I don't think it's right or fair for a guy to tell them that they're wrong, that's all.
Yeah, and I said in my very first post that I obviously don't speak for all women. I never said I spoke for everyone. But I'm fairly certain the opposition doesn't speak for all or even most really, given my experience. I'm totally fine with people wanting whatever they want. I just feel that the moral or ethical argument is completely absurd and disingenous.

Hell, I preferred Mai over Terry, simply cause I thought she was more popular, and would make for a more interesting character overall. But I don't see it as some injustice that needs correcting that we got Terry over Mai, nor do I use the shallow argument that it NEEDS (key word there being needs, as that keeps getting tossed around) to happen to appeal to a certain demographic. It's a shame that I can't post the tweets given their explicit nature, but the majority of female gamers seem to be more than happy with Terry's inclusion. Saying that male characters don't appeal to female gamers is absurd.

Honestly, I feel sorry for anyone whose enjoyment of a videogame is directly proportional to its diversity quota. I don't see why that should matter to anyone.

Like, if there's one female character that I'd personally like to see going forward it's Reimu, and it's not for any crazy reasons like what I'm seeing tossed around here. It's simply cause I know it'd make a bunch of elementary school kids that I know super happy if she got it, because they really like the character.

And that's about as much as I'm gonna say on that topic tbh. Feel free to continue to debate the imporatance of idenity and gender politics in a cartoon fighting game I guess, I'm just glad Japan doesn't see things the same way as the rest of you. It's a very strange way of viewing the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom