• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
And you know who ELSE is in a Musou game?
Kasumi! Of course! Team Ninja's mascot and a staple crossover character of Koei Tecmo's various IPs!

Nah, I know you're on about their other mascot character.

Ayane's also in that game! She too crosses over in a load of KT's various IPs.

Oh and Sophitia from Soul Calibur also makes an appearance in a different Musou game...I keep forgetting she was somewhat of the lead character rather than Nightmare for a bit there

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
When should we expect any inevitable leaked datamining? Tomorrow perhaps? Wonder what codenames we'll see.
About 5 minutes after the actual update dropped, and none.

This community tends to have a very limited/warped understanding of things pertaining to datamine. Leaks aren't "inevitable." No codenames (bar the ones we already knew/that eventually got reintroduced) have shown up since they got removed in 2.0., and even if they were then they'd immediately be blowing up just about everywhere (Twitter, Discord, etc.).

A lot of the findings come significantly later (the whole ponytail/Jane, Mementos stage, etc.) than the update that introduced or even removed them, and they only become sensationalized/blow up when people think it points to hints that aren't actually there/when misinformation spreads ("Plant/Duck Hunt/Mii Swordfighter in All Star corrupt save data, they imply we're getting fighters that use those characters as a base" when it was just faulty SD cards, etc).

As said previously, the team takes extra measures to not let things slip up again (to the same extent as they did in the past, anyway). Short of very minor things such as upcoming Spirits to be added, information trickles very slowly for the people actually posting/sifting through the game files, usually not even being shared if it's not deemed worth it. Most of them care about more balance changes, this is about the only noteworthy thing (to settle arguments that died forever ago).

Right now most should just accept whatever news we get is gonna come from external sources, and it may take a lot longer than it already has been. I could be completely wrong about everything, and we may get a bombshell by this weekend, but we'd still have to wait either way until "Fall 2019" to actually get out hands on anything either way.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm surprised they even briefly left Pakku, Jack, and Brave w/ limited parameters in the data after last time completely robbed them of their Roy/Ryu E3 surprise. I mean Ryu from Street Figher joins Smash and the biggest deal for people was that Dream Land came back. And even that wasn't a surprise since the stages leaked a few days prior as well iirc.

At least for their sake they gave them codenames this time.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I'm betting on it being because they're from Square rather than Enix.
I mean we got non-Atlus Sonic costumes with Joker tho.
Smash always had some RNG as is. Or at least was designed with it in mind.

Of course having way too much is a reasonable issue for competitive play. That's why Items aren't on for major tourneys, namely ones with prizes. Well, non-Nintendo ones at least. Hero is something that needs to be tested to see if it would cause issues in the first place. I mean, we tested Items and Stages before banning specific ones.

Though I wish Mii Fighters got proper testing before a ban. Many didn't want to test out specific builds to find a balanced one for tourneys to use. I can get where part of the issue is, namely the Weight differences. That's a lot more to test than simply what custom moves might be OP. Likewise, stuff like 1111 doesn't work for them. It sucks for Palutena too, but she does have a true default moveset(her mechanic was even removed in Ultimate).
What mechanic removed in Ultimate?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do we know what Banjo’s codename is, if any? We know for a fact he’s coming

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Do we know what Banjo’s codename is, if any? We know for a fact he’s coming
Please ignore. Apparently it was fake.

According to this Twitter post it is "Spiral".

It seems that there are 2 other victory fanfares found in the new update. Don't know how legit it is though.
(I saw this in the Banjo-Discussion)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
According to this rumor, the codenames for the final 2 characters are "Alice" and "Dragon". I think that this is fake anyways.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Though I wish Mii Fighters got proper testing before a ban. Many didn't want to test out specific builds to find a balanced one for tourneys to use. I can get where part of the issue is, namely the Weight differences. That's a lot more to test than simply what custom moves might be OP. Likewise, stuff like 1111 doesn't work for them. It sucks for Palutena too, but she does have a true default moveset(her mechanic was even removed in Ultimate).
Wait, Mii Fighters are banned again in Ultimate? Or were you using ssb4 as an example?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Touhou’s developer sometimes goes by Shanghai Alice, so “Alice” could be Reimu

Not that I expect that to happen of course

andree123

Smash Ace
Can't really think of anything related to Alice besides Alice in Wonderland, in which case, probably Sora?
Dragon is more widespread though so that could be anyone that is related to Dragons I guess....
For "Dragon", most likely the Dragonborn from Skyrim. As for "Alice", I have no clue, although the character is for sure female.
According to this rumor, the codenames for the final 2 characters are "Alice" and "Dragon". I think that this is fake anyways.
Touhou’s developer sometimes goes by Shanghai Alice, so “Alice” could be Reimu

Not that I expect that to happen of course
Did you see my post?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My immediate guess for Alice was Touhou as well because of Alice Margatroid. Also because it was fake and Touhou is like the big troll fake red flag.

Dovahkiin is actually pretty plausible as a guess, though. It'd be funny if the last two really were Reimu and Dragonborn.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My immediate guess for Alice was Touhou as well because of Alice Margatroid. Also because it was fake and Touhou is like the big troll fake red flag.

Dovahkiin is actually pretty plausible as a guess, though. It'd be funny if the last two really were Reimu and Dragonborn.
You were expecting Doom Slayer as the Bethesda Rep BUT IT WAS I, DOVAHKIIN!

ill see myself out...

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Dovahkin is to the protagonist in Skyrim as Erdrick is to the protagonist of Dragon Quest III.

D

Deleted member

What is Dovahkiin? Is it the player's name in other languages or how certain characters refer to the player?
Dovahkiin is pretty much Dragonborn in a language from The Elder Scrolls series. The player doesn't has a canon name but is referred as either Dragonborn or Dovahkiin due to having access to Dragon powers by the means of the shout.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
What could those two names even hint at anyway?
Well considering the current speculated character
Dragon would probably be Monster Hunter seeing as rathalos codename was Enddragon or something
Alice could literally be anyone though, referring to a character that is in an unfamiliar world (smash) like Alice in Wonderland. Honestly I can't think of a perfect character that fits Alice as a codename though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Alice" obviously means another Megami Tensei character summoning Alice as a demon. Smh, Sakurai's ATLUS bias is at it again.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
If it’s the name you’re concerned about, then as was said before.

Here we have two Trophies with the EXACT SAME name as the Fighter DLC Trophies that later came. They didn't even bother to change the names either. Was unprecedented at the time, but clearly precedent is something that is meant to be broken in Smash.
Trophies do not equal spirits.
Trophies are small paragraphs of information tied to a statue of a character, fighters included. Spirits are entities that actively interact with gameplay.

My real argument here is that Spirits are clearly designed to avoid DLC and base roster choices, most notably seen with Piranha Plant. The Nipper spirit could have easily led into Plant's hypothetical spirit, or that same hypothetical Plant spirit could have just as easily evolved into Petey. If they wanted to show a cleaner more reasonable evolution they could have just gone with Plant as a middle ground instead of the Nipper->Petey evolution we got in game, but we never did. Why is that? Under this argument, the folks designing the spirits could have just added a middle ground in a Plant spirit, and then changed its name once Plant rolled around so it doesn't conflict with the fighter spirit, but that never happened.

I do dislike being so rude, but insisting that Spirits aren't a death sentence is kind of just a wasted effort.

Nearly all my wanted were deconfirmed by spirit so it's not like I'm just saying this from an outsider's perspective

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Trophies are small paragraphs of information tied to a statue of a character, fighters included. Spirits are entities that actively interact with gameplay.

My real argument here is that Spirits are clearly designed to avoid DLC and base roster choices, most notably seen with Piranha Plant. The Nipper spirit could have easily led into Plant's hypothetical spirit, or that same hypothetical Plant spirit could have just as easily evolved into Petey. If they wanted to show a cleaner more reasonable evolution they could have just gone with Plant as a middle ground instead of the Nipper->Petey evolution we got in game, but we never did. Why is that? Under this argument, the folks designing the spirits could have just added a middle ground in a Plant spirit, and then changed its name once Plant rolled around so it doesn't conflict with the fighter spirit, but that never happened.

I do dislike being so rude, but insisting that Spirits aren't a death sentence is kind of just a wasted effort.

Nearly all my wanted were deconfirmed by spirit so it's not like I'm just saying this from an outsider's perspective
HOLD IT!

Unless they come out and say Spirits disconfirm characters we have no way of knowing that this is the case. Piranha Plant may be evidence that this is the case but we can't know that it isn't a coincidence with the information we have on hand. Spirits may make characters less likely in our eyes but we don't have conclusive evidence that they completely disconfirm characters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

You're right, trophies don't equal spirits. In fact, trophies have more work put into them, they are full 3D models and not PNGs, so logically trophies should have been more of a death sentence.

Trophies are also interactable in the gameplay, they are items that can be collected in the Subspace Emissary, etc.

Spirits don't really actively interact nearly as much as Assist Trophies, they don't appear in the actual game, they are just stat buffs that can be easily overlooked.

Plant was planned to be in the base roster, that's why it didn't have a spirit. That's also why it had a Palutena's Guidance and not the other DLC.

But AS I SAID BEFORE:
EAayaOdXkAE2ir_.jpg
I don't think the name of the spirit matters, because when you are interacting with them, it's the picture that's there. If a Pikachu can use a Pikachu spirit, then your argument is null and void.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Spirit Board for Hero was far easier than Joker's Spirit Board (but that was mostly because Igor's spirit battle was rough as hell), but it's kinda odd how Hero's Comrades are just a bundled pack of fighters when they all had the possibility of being individual spirit battles instead. There would've been more spirits for Dragon Quest that way, but considering the number of spirits between Persona 5 and Dragon Quest are at 13 when you include Fighter Spirits, maybe it was planned at the start to have all the DLC come with 13 spirits each? When Banjo-Kazooie comes out, I wonder if they'll bring 13 spirits as well. Then we could probably start going off about this as some sort of new theory.

It is a shame that Hero came out with only MIDI versions of DQ music instead of the Orchestral versions like the 1s used for the trailer. It's like when they played Life Will Change during Joker's reveal trailer but for some reason the track got left out of the Fighter Pack. I wonder if we'll see another situation where the music in a Smash trailer isn't a part of the Fighter Pack itself after Banjo-Kazooie since their trailer at least had a track that was confirmed for Smash.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Kasumi! Of course! Team Ninja's mascot and a staple crossover character of Koei Tecmo's various IPs!

Nah, I know you're on about their other mascot character.

Ayane's also in that game! She too crosses over in a load of KT's various IPs.

Oh and Sophitia from Soul Calibur also makes an appearance in a different Musou game...I keep forgetting she was somewhat of the lead character rather than Nightmare for a bit there
Now jiggle physics in that way would be a sight to see in SSBU.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Some code names I hope to see:

Player_type_hunter
Player_type_bogard
Player_type_bogardfem
Player_type_skullo
Player_type_binding
Player_type_bubble
Player_type_brazzers
Player_type_undertale
Player_type_wumpa
Player_type_hunter
Player_type_nukem
Player_type_pirate
Player_type_gnorc

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Alice IS the protagonist of the Resident Evil movies.

Obviously that's not the RE character they'd use. But they wouldn't use the exact name. Just like Joker's name isn't Jack.

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Now jiggle physics in that way would be a sight to see in SSBU.
considering the slime mii costume having jiggle psychics I wouldn't be surprised If we got a character with jiggle physics(I.E. Kasumi from Dead or Alive,Mai Shiranui from Fatal Fury, Asuka from Senran Kagura) in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom