• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is the first post:

"So now that we know that spirits officially deconfirm characters and that Nintendo is only going to be taking DLC from series that don't have any reps in Nintendo, give me your most wanted DLC. "
OP is hella wrong if I may say so myself

Reggie’s statement was only referring to the fact all characters would be new to Smash as a whole, that they weren’t previously playable. NOT that they all HAD to be from series new to Smash.

In other words, Everyone Is Here, so no need to have veterans for DLC

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That line officially confirmed it as fake. Neither Sakurai nor Nintendo officially stated that Spirits deconfirm characters. They also didn't say that all DLC characters are from new series (Reggie's comment is very poorly worded and is subject to multiple interpretations).

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Yeah, didn't think I'd need to play devil's advocate on this topic again, but I insist that people are clearly underestimating the whole "spirits deconfirm" issue.

I'm not here to defend the leak (even though its details clearly make me wonder), but so far, you guys need to remember that everyone comes from franchises completely new to the series (Persona, Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie). Nothing suggests otherwise, and there's only two DLC spots left, so it's not really that likely to get someone like Geno or Shantae in such conditions.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
That line officially confirmed it as fake. Neither Sakurai nor Nintendo officially stated that Spirits deconfirm characters. They also didn't say that all DLC characters are from new series (Reggie's comment is very poorly worded and is subject to multiple interpretations).
Personally, I think anyone hoping for a character that has its series represented in any capacity within Smash as it is now.... is buggin. Persona, DQ, and Banjo had nothing in Smash. Expect that same deal for the rest of the fighters on this pass.

That upcoming Nintendo Pass, tho.....

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Personally, I think anyone hoping for a character that has its series represented in any capacity within Smash as it is now.... is buggin. Persona, DQ, and Banjo had nothing in Smah. Expect that same deal for the rest of the fighters on this pass.

Ah Veemo, here we go again

Can you PLEASE back up this claim with some evidence? Are you in contact with any sources?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Personally, I think anyone hoping for a character that has its series represented in any capacity within Smash as it is now.... is buggin. Persona, DQ, and Banjo had nothing in Smash. Expect that same deal for the rest of the fighters on this pass.

We don't know if there will even be a Nintendo Pass.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings

Can you PLEASE back up this claim with some evidence? Are you in contact with any sources?
Bruh everytime i post something on here you ask me for a full bibliography with MLA style citation. The name of the forum is speculation, buddy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bruh everytime i post something on here you ask me for a full bibliography with MLA style citation. The name of the forum is speculation, buddy.
I’m just saying, there’s a difference between saying “I think someone like say, Doom Slayer or Ryu Hayabusa is likely” vs. saying “we will be getting Heihachi/Waluigi/Rex in the fall/summer/etc”. The latter is rather misleading and reads as if it’s a leak. But hey, what do I know.

Side note - anyone else notice the #SmashBros hashtag on Twitter just isn’t working lately? Wonder what’s up

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I’m just saying, there’s a difference between saying “I think someone like say, Doom Slayer or Ryu Hayabusa is likely” vs. saying “we will be getting Heihachi/Waluigi/Rex in the fall/summer/etc”. The latter is rather misleading and reads as if it’s a leak. But hey, what do I know.
Considering he started his statement with the words "Personally, I think", I don't think he's being at all misleading.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, didn't think I'd need to play devil's advocate on this topic again, but I insist that people are clearly underestimating the whole "spirits deconfirm" issue.

I'm not here to defend the leak (even though its details clearly make me wonder), but so far, you guys need to remember that everyone comes from franchises completely new to the series (Persona, Dragon Quest and Banjo-Kazooie). Nothing suggests otherwise, and there's only two DLC spots left, so it's not really that likely to get someone like Geno or Shantae in such conditions.
No but it still isn't 100% fact so we can't rule out the possibility however small.

Considering he started his statement with the words "Personally, I think", I don't think he's being at all misleading.
His first paragraph was clearly an opinion, but the second was framed as a fact.

Just out of curiosity what does Veemo mean? Is it a cultural thing?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Thank you for sticking up for me, but Rie is right... my sole purpose in life is to misguide the Smash community.

You all thought I was just a random user giving my thoughts..... BUT IT WAS ME! DIO!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No but it still isn't 100% fact so we can't rule out the possibility however small.

His first paragraph was clearly an opinion, but the second was framed as a fact.

Just out of curiosity what does Veemo mean? Is it a cultural thing?
It’s the female Octoling’s version of “Woomy”. Kind of a meme in the Splatoon fandom

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I doubt the authenticity of that one leak, simply because of monster hunter. I get that they got Hero right and Banjo but considering Ultimate's theme was both fanservice and having notable gaming icons (Ryu, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake, Cloud, Simon, and now Hero and Banjo) the two were very likely. MH content is already in the base game, so adding more as DLC (as some of the later DLC on top of that) seems... weird, and kinda redundant. The character kinda felt like leakbait anyways, and Doomguy as well is starting to become this. Almost every person who's into the smash DLC scene believes that Doomguy will be in so it's basically just pandering to what was expected, what this guy's doing.
These characters would be pretty cool ngl tho. If they were the final DLC I wouldn't even be mad.

as I always say, my assumptions are usually wrong, so take my word with a grain of salt.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
It's still a really small possibility. Three vs two is not a good sign with only five spots around.

I doubt the authenticity of that one leak, simply because of monster hunter. I get that they got Hero right and Banjo but considering Ultimate's theme was both fanservice and having notable gaming icons (Ryu, Mega Man, Sonic, Snake, Cloud, Simon, and now Hero and Banjo) the two were very likely. MH content is already in the base game, so adding more as DLC (as some of the later DLC on top of that) seems... weird, and kinda redundant. The character kinda felt like leakbait anyways, and Doomguy as well is starting to become this. Almost every person who's into the smash DLC scene believes that Doomguy will be in so it's basically just pandering to what was expected, what this guy's doing.
These characters would be pretty cool ngl tho. If they were the final DLC I wouldn't even be mad.

as I always say, my assumptions are usually wrong, so take my word with a grain of salt.
Eh, I wouldn't call Doomguy a "leak bait" because of fake leaks. If we defined that based on characters that appeared in hoaxes, then Banjo was a bait too. It's just a thing of people using the most discussed characters to gather attention.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I wouldn't call Doomguy a "leak bait" because of fake leaks. If we defined that based on characters that appeared in hoaxes, then Banjo was a bait too. It's just a thing of people using the most discussed characters to gather attention.
Yeah, I referred to Banjo/Erdrick as leakbait for a while, due to their tendancy to show up in hoaxes (most notably: Grinch and Vergaben, respectively). We all know how that turned out, though...
the e3 reveal is actually a large part of what makes me think that the "leak" is legit. it showed that even "leakbait" characters can appear in smash, and presumably have a high chance of such.
Part of me really hopes this leak is legit because it's more diverse and unique than most other leaks ngl

D

Deleted member

Gotta say, would be funny for this post to end up being legit. Really only issue I have is the bit of uncertainty with the whole DQ hero, using or instead of saying they are alts but that could be a mistake on the leaker part.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Yeah, I referred to Banjo/Erdrick as leakbait for a while, due to their tendancy to show up in hoaxes (most notably: Grinch and Vergaben, respectively). We all know how that turned out, though...
the e3 reveal is actually a large part of what makes me think that the "leak" is legit. it showed that even "leakbait" characters can appear in smash, and presumably have a high chance of such.
Part of me really hopes this leak is legit because it's more diverse and unique than most other leaks ngl
Vergeben was not a hoax though.

Disregarding that, this leak is a 50/50 to me. It's such an odd thing to just call four heroes who coincidentally are the same as the announced one, not to mention, someone reported that there's some empty Monster Hunter spots for spirits, in the same fashion as the Rare. They may not mean much, but it's such an odd thing to find out.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
the fact they said "3, 4, 8 or 11 hero" is kinda a dead giveaway to me, as well as "colors based on the other games (which is fake). It's just a coincidence and the guy just happens to know DQ as a series really well, maybe even knowing which ones are the most popular.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
the fact they said "3, 4, 8 or 11 hero" is kinda a dead giveaway to me, as well as "colors based on the other games (which is fake). It's just a coincidence and the guy just happens to know DQ as a series really well, maybe even knowing which ones are the most popular.
Actually the colors part isn't fake. Luminary's color alt skin is based on the protagonist of Dragon Quest Monsters.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Vergeben was not a hoax though.

Disregarding that, this leak is a 50/50 to me. It's such an odd thing to just call four heroes who coincidentally are the same as the announced one, not to mention, someone reported that there's some empty Monster Hunter spots for spirits, in the same fashion as the Rare. They may not mean much, but it's such an odd thing to find out.
Verge called for Erdrick (not Hero) and Steve over Banjo. I don't doubt the rest of his claims, but I seriously doubt his DLC claims (the belief that the first revealed Fighter's Pass is SE can be excused if we take to thought the likelihood of Hero being planned for earlier but shoved for Joker, but the Steve claim isn't defendable). Did he retract his Steve claim pre-E3? I can understand the mistake if he said Erdrick over Hero, but if he stood by his claim that Steve was in over Banjo post-E3 he's surefire a fake. (I could see him supporting MC content in general, such as a Mii Costume or even a Spirit(s), but a Fighter is all but deconfirmed at this point frankley)
Perhaps his source was given a CnD and he didn't want to abandon the attention even though they were unable to provide answers. His pre-release claims were entirely correct if we ignore the Joker thing.

coolmancool

Smash Cadet
Well, the other alts of Hero that are just color swap does rep other games tho. So yeah, he has colors based on other games. We'll wait and see, but I think this one is one the most legit we found tbh

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Verge called for Erdrick (not Hero) and Steve over Banjo. I don't doubt the rest of his claims, but I seriously doubt his DLC claims (the belief that the first revealed Fighter's Pass is SE can be excused if we take to thought the likelihood of Hero being planned for earlier but shoved for Joker, but the Steve claim isn't defendable). Did he retract his Steve claim pre-E3? I can understand the mistake if he said Erdrick over Hero, but if he stood by his claim that Steve was in over Banjo post-E3 he's surefire a fake. (I could see him supporting MC content in general, such as a Mii Costume or even a Spirit(s), but a Fighter is all but deconfirmed at this point frankley)
Perhaps his source was given a CnD and he didn't want to abandon the attention even though they were unable to provide answers. His pre-release claims were entirely correct if we ignore the Joker thing.
Uh... he never said Steve would be in the game. He made a mention of Minecraft content, and since said content wasn't in base, the only thing anyone could assume was that it was going to be DLC.

A few days before the E3, he backed Shinobi's (?) claim on Banjo and insisted that he never backed Steve.

Even with Hero, something that many forgot is that Vergeben heard Erdrick and Luminary the most. So by no means was it a wrong statement, or at least, not much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh, speaking of colors. I hope they open Banjo & Kazooie's page on the smash website so we can see what their colors will be.

Actually, I don't think Banjo & Kazooie change colors at all or have any characters within their series that they can take color palettes from (other than the polar bear I guess). What colors do you think they will get?

It'd be hilarious if he got a Duck Hunt color scheme.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Oh, speaking of colors. I hope they open Banjo & Kazooie's page on the smash website so we can see what their colors will be.

Actually, I don't think Banjo & Kazooie change colors at all or have any characters within their series that they can take color palettes from (other than the polar bear I guess). What colors do you think they will get?

Joker and DQ Swordboi both have alt costumes, so the DREAM is that they include a Dragon Kazooie alt. I also think it'd be really special if they included the NnB model.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
The fat one? That would be...something I guess. A dragon would be cool though.
While the fat one would be... something.... I was thinking more of the blocky, standard NnB model.

But if I had to prioritize, give us the Dragon. Change the color of Banjo's shorts if need be. Boom.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Has this been discussed yet?
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/442253084/#442254868

Look at the date of the post.
The only issue I have with this "leak" is the Monster Hunter. Regardless of what Reggie said at the Game Awards, the Monster Hunter franchise is already in Smash Ultimate. If Monster Hunter already has music and the Rathalos as a boss in the base game, why was the Monster Hunter himself (or herself) included? This is a minor point, but would adding the Hunter mean removing the two Monster Hunter tracks from the other franchises music list and putting them into the supposed Monster Hunter track list?

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228

If i'm not mistaken, there was an official screenshot somewhere of banjo & kazooie with a mumbo jumbo color scheme.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The only issue I have with this "leak" is the Monster Hunter. Regardless of what Reggie said at the Game Awards, the Monster Hunter franchise is already in Smash Ultimate. If Monster Hunter already has music and the Rathalos as a boss in the base game, why was the Monster Hunter himself (or herself) included? This is a minor point, but would adding the Hunter mean removing the two Monster Hunter tracks from the other franchises music list and putting them into the supposed Monster Hunter track list?
The thing with Monster Hunter is that there's barely any content for it in Smash. It's just Rathalos, a spirit (I think), and a pair of songs. Since there's not even a dedicated stage for it, one could make a case for a workable DLC pack. But thing is, again, the DLC has been brand-new franchises so far. That's why I hesitate this leak, because I personally believe that will be the case for all five characters.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
The thing with Monster Hunter is that there's barely any content for it in Smash. It's just Rathalos, a spirit (I think), and a pair of songs. Since there's not even a dedicated stage for it, one could make a case for a workable DLC pack. But thing is, again, the DLC has been brand-new franchises so far. That's why I hesitate this leak, because I personally believe that will be the case for all five characters.
same here, with the 3 dlc characters so far being new franchises, I'm not really sure about a monster hunter rep being in the pass(on one hand it doesn't
have a stage so it could work but on the other hand the fact that it has a boss(Rathalos) a spirit and a few songs make me feel mixed about the whole thing).

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Meh, just a coincidence they guessed certain Hero alts. 8 has the popularity factor in the west, and I believe 3 and 4 are some of the most popular in Japan. 11 S was being worked on at the time too.

I'm gonna play devils advocate for a minute here. You can agree to disagree or entirely disagree with me, its okay.

1. Before this post, we had no credible leak actually mentioning Dragon Quest. All we had was Vergeben's 7 character list, and even that was fishy because all it named were the biggest SE characters anyway, yet nothing pointed to DQ being the character at the time. Tansut's leak came after this, and all he leaked was Erdrick. He consistently called him Erdrick then. The "Brave" codename leak happened in a January patch, nearly a month after this.

2. This post hard claims "HERO", and characters represented by literally those 4 games. I'd also argue that DQV, VI or VII are just as popular, if not more popular than DQ IV. We can retroactively confirm to ourselves that these 4 are definitely the most obvious, but I specifically remember people ONLY campaigning for Erdrick or Luminary, not really questioning the possibility of Solo (DQ IV) or Eight, while some people argued for others here and there. I think its important to remember this.

3. Bethesda has already let it slip that they talked to Nintendo about having a Smash rep. This is why the Doom Slayer bandwagon truly started. It quite literally is the only character/franchise Sakurai has ever mentioned by name from them. He has noted the franchise for being the father of FPS's. So while it makes sense for a fake leaker to add it for this reason, it actually helps this one, because.....

4. The leaker is 50/50 right now. They have been 50/50 from a post made back in December 2018. Just think about that for a minute. Before this, an overwhelming majority of people clamored for Steve and said Banjo was a pipe dream. I specifically remember having those conversations on this very forum. So before any credible leak came around, this person managed to tell us Banjo and Hero (with the possibility of him being represented by 4 games, all of which are now correct). So far, they have gotten nothing wrong.

5. Lastly....Monster Hunter. This has been an especially weird one. The representation its received is odd, especially because it has a boss to which no character actually stands at its opposite, 2 songs (which is surprisingly NOT generous of Capcom, even if its for a boss stage), and 1 spirit. Its a weird predicament. And IIRC, Monster Hunter had its own catagory of songs (Titled mh____) in the files rather than grouped with the "Other/Miscellaneous" category.

Take what you will from this. I think its legit. But if I had to safe guess things from here on out, it was always Doom Slayer for me, and Hunter always seemed like a possibility because of those circumstances (never something I'd guess though).

Thing is, you can take Reggie's comment to mean "unrepresented series" in terms of fighters. Aka, no Mario, Sonic, MGS, Zelda, etc etc etc. Monster Hunter has no representative on the fighter level, so it technically is unrepresented.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Really hoping the Ado leak is true. This would be an amazing DLC roster!
This, im surprised at how many people dont like it. Doom is a franchise Sakurai knows has history, and Monster Hunter literally is Capcoms most popular franchise now, as indicated by sales from World

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
One thing to humor the "leak" is, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter would be the Japanese picks, while Banjo & Kazooie and Doom are the Western ones.

People can argue "well I didn't want [character] so that's not true" but assuming the leak is real, it's fairly obvious Doom wasn't chosen because of Japanese fans.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
One thing to humor the "leak" is, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter would be the Japanese picks, while Banjo & Kazooie and Doom are the Western ones.

People can argue "well I didn't want [character] so that's not true" but assuming the leak is real, it's fairly obvious Doom wasn't chosen because of Japanese fans.
I also think both are extremely versatile. You'd have to include Slayer's variety if futuristic guns and Hunter's assortment of weapon types into its arsenal.

Also, if true, Hunter AND Slayer lmao. Smash is violent

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
welp, looks like the "leak" died as quickly as it was born:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
Really hoping the Ado leak is true. This would be an amazing DLC roster!
Indeed bro. it would solve the number one issue I've had with most "leaked" rosters- lack of genre diversity. MH is an open world beat-em-up, for lack of a better description, and Doom is the father of FPS. if even Hero haters admit he got in because of DQ's importance to RPGs, then why should Doomguy be denied that claim of starting a unique genre?
it's fairly obvious Doom wasn't chosen because of Japanese fans.
Hero, Chrom, Corrin say hi, in regards to region favoritism being a factor in deciding a character's inclusion.

Edit: huh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom