• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
It would make sense Hero during a period of time where young Japanese children, the most notable audience when it comes to Dragon Quest in general, have the time to actually pick him up. I've said it many times, but it has to be the 19th at the very least.

to answer my 11th question, even though I haven't played the gta games I have some knowledge of the franchise so the answer to my 11th question would be CJ.

Now for the 12th Question.
Question 12
Witch M-rated Character would you prefer to see in fighters pass.
1:Doomslayer
2:Scorpion(aside from the fact that Mortal Kombat was banned from japan)
Banking on Hayabusa and Doomguy. Both being very clear influences on their specific genres.

Although I feel it's likely Capcom could make it in again with Resident Evil, in which case I would say Leon Kennedy.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I actually have a lot of confidence in Doom Slayer being one of the remaining characters in the fighter pass. There are a lot of tidbits and evidence that help support the idea.

Sakurai has commented about John Carmack (lead programmer for the original Doom) referring to him as the father of FPS’s.

In an interview from September 2018, Pete Hines (Vice President of Bethesda) said Bethesda has talked to Nintendo in regards to Smash, and recently suggested there would be Doom related surprises for Nintendo fans.

Pete Hines also said that Nintendo has talked to him about the popularity of Bethesda games among Nintendo Switch owners (note that Skyrim and Doom released on the Switch back in 2017).

Mick Gordon (composer for the recent Doom games) said he's working on a video game project back in January (same time Grant Kirkhope was contacted to provide Banjo-Kazooie music for Smash)

Bethesda has also been partnering with Nintendo a lot lately (we even got Link’s BotW outfit in Skyrim), and their games are popular among Nintendo fans.

We know Nintendo chose the list of characters for the fighter pass, and it would make sense that Nintendo would want to include a character from arguably their most supportive 3rd party company (currently). Doom Slayer’s inclusion could even be used to promote the upcoming Doom Eternal, similarly to how the Hero is promoting Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition.

As for Sakurai, he is no doubt aware of how big of a deal the original Doom was, and seeing how Sakurai seems to like adding guest characters from from groundbreaking titles/franchises, I think he would totally be down with the inclusion.

I really think this is going to happen.

Sources
honestly if we are getting Doomguy that would be amazing from multiple perspectives.

Not only does it appeal to old-school gamers and FPS fans but also most young kids, a large (though not the entire) demographic of smash. Imagine you are a lil kid, and after seeing the DLC is random swordsman and cartoon characters you don't recognize, you see a super strong space marine ba man- that would be amazing, or at least it would to what I imagine a child to be enthralled by.

what i'm saying here is that it's the first DLC that has a good chance of appealing to kids, even if they don't know Doom's infamous violence (hopefully not) or even what Doomguy is. This is on top of appealing to practically everyone else (I don't know a single person who opposed the idea of Doomguy in smash)- a fantastic marketing idea, I recon.

I have no idea how iconic or favoredHero is to Japanese chilluns but I will make a wild guess and say Joker and Banjo weren't really a smash among the kids

the next update is in as little as a week? that would be dope

a diff question real quick.

I am sure i've already asked this before, and I hate to sound disrespectful, but what legit reasons exist in Crash's favor? I really haven't seen much crash support prior to maybe early 2018 (compared to the endless support for most other fan-fav smash additions like Banjo), and we already have a "playstation rep" in Joker. His fans usually tend to overlap with Banjo's anyways, and he doesn't really have the "was an icon for Nintendo" allure that Banjo had. I don't honestly think Crash is getting in as DLC tbh. Maybe if the eventual rerelease adds another DLC pack Crash will surely show up there, but here I am not as certain.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
honestly if we are getting Doomguy that would be amazing from multiple perspectives.

Not only does it appeal to old-school gamers and FPS fans but also most young kids, a large (though not the entire) demographic of smash. Imagine you are a lil kid, and after seeing the DLC is random swordsman and cartoon characters you don't recognize, you see a super strong space marine ba man- that would be amazing, or at least it would to what I imagine a child to be enthralled by.

what i'm saying here is that it's the first DLC that has a good chance of appealing to kids, even if they don't know Doom's infamous violence (hopefully not) or even what Doomguy is. This is on top of appealing to practically everyone else (I don't know a single person who opposed the idea of Doomguy in smash)- a fantastic marketing idea, I recon.

I have no idea how iconic or favoredHero is to Japanese chilluns but I will make a wild guess and say Joker and Banjo weren't really a smash among the kids

the next update is in as little as a week? that would be dope

a diff question real quick.

I am sure i've already asked this before, and I hate to sound disrespectful, but what legit reasons exist in Crash's favor? I really haven't seen much crash support prior to maybe early 2018 (compared to the endless support for most other fan-fav smash additions like Banjo), and we already have a "playstation rep" in Joker. His fans usually tend to overlap with Banjo's anyways, and he doesn't really have the "was an icon for Nintendo" allure that Banjo had. I don't honestly think Crash is getting in as DLC tbh. Maybe if the eventual rerelease adds another DLC pack Crash will surely show up there, but here I am not as certain.
You may well be right overall, but I can assure that I would be... less than enthralled by that as a kid. I've never really been attracted to characters that are defined by being badass. Nor was I ever interested in fps games at any age. I say this not to poo poo the idea, but more just to point out that you can never really paint any community wholly with one large brushstroke. Plenty of people would be absolutely enthused by Doom Guy (or any other particular character you might be thinking of, really) but its never gonna be hype to everyone. Hype is not universal no matter how much people seem to bill it as such.

StormC

Smash Hero

You really think a violent gunman would be more appealing to kids than a cartoony bear and bird?

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
to answer my 11th question, even though I haven't played the gta games I have some knowledge of the franchise so the answer to my 11th question would be CJ.

Question 12
Easy, Doomslayer. Even if it isn't all that huge in Japan, it at least had some cultural significance in shaping the first person shooter genre and could theoretically be implemented into Smash without too much hassle. Mortal Kombat's main claim to fame was being one of the main catalysts for the ESRB's creation and didn't do much to push the fighting game genre outside of shock value. The main draw of the series is the excessive violence and there's literally no way to implement that kind of a character in an E10+ game.

You really think a violent gunman would be more appealing to kids than a cartoony bear and bird?
Usually I would respond by saying something snarky about swearing Call of Duty kids on Xbox Live, but do 10 year olds even play CoD anymore? I think they've all moved on to stuff like Overwatch and Fortnite, so it seems like this generation prefers cartoony aesthetics over realistic gritty war shooters. Then again I'm out of touch with what the kids are into nowadays, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm probably the only guy who'd rather have Scorpion than Doomguy, just because I find it really hard to imagine Doomguy in Smash at all.

Huge fan of both franchises so I don't care either way.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If a leaked can't be trusted to be accurate, then what value does it have to newcomer speculation?

More specifically to the point, people still predicting freaking Chorus Kids years and an entire game later because of a leak that ultimately wasn't accurate?

At least nobody is still predicting Toon Zelda or Plusle/Minun.
Leaks aren't true if they're fake.

Something like the Grinch leak isn't a rumor, it is a faked leak. And thus, a leak that isn't true.
Except their is enough evidence that points to the leak being outdated (Chrom being considered over Robin early on and in game data practically proving a Rhythm Heaven character was planned) explaining why most of the leak came to fruition with the exception of those two characters.

If you’re a judge and a man is on trial and all the evidence is pointing to him being innocent, but he said a couple inaccurate statements, you’re not just going to be like like “this man is a liar, he can’t be trusted, he must guilty”. You assess the statements, and see if they can provide an explanation that clears up the contradictions. Even if it turns out that he straight up lied it shouldn’t automatically give him a guilty verdict if it doesn’t contradict the evidence that proves his innocence.

If you want to doubt the validity of the leak that’s ok, but to outright dismiss the whole thing as fake seems silly to me.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well technically it fell out of favor in the 70s and got a revival in the 80s. It may have been about soldiers but it was goofy as hell :yoshi:
Well, that was just an example. Some stuff is more series than others, but it's all on a continuum: G.I. Joe, Goldeneye, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, etc.

Once you get to, idk, eight, nine, ten - a tough guy with a gun becomes "cool". I came up at the time Halo really hit its peak, and I can tell you there were no shortage of kids in elementary playing that game. So yeah, I do think a lot of young boys would gravitate towards Doom Slayer. He's "cool".

It's strange, me saying this to who I assume are mostly guys, but lemme tell you, I have three brothers, three nephews, I've worked at a game store; young boys love that ****. :laugh:

Polan

Smash Lord
so uh, what's this about a private video being uploaded on the smash account? eventhubs made a post about it but the sole source is laxchris which is a bit suspect. did anyone else see it or is this nothing?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
so uh, what's this about a private video being uploaded on the smash account? eventhubs made a post about it but the sole source is laxchris which is a bit suspect. did anyone else see it or is this nothing?
Yeah several people saw it.
Basically the Hero/3.0 breakdown is probably uploaded, so now we're just waiting for it to get un-privated so we can watch it.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Question 12
Easy choice, Doomslayer.
I find Mortal Kombat to just be rubbish honestly. I normally have no problem with violence, even when it's over-the-top. But something about MK makes me a tad sick. I'm not a soccer-mom who thinks it is creating serial killers or anything, but I'm not fond of the series.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If you’re a judge and a man is on trial
That's not what we're doing, stop being ridiculous.

We're talking about predicting future character additions based on 5-year-old leaks. Comparing that to a trial is nonsense.
I normally have no problem with violence, even when it's over-the-top. But something about MK makes me a tad sick. I'm not a soccer-mom who thinks it is creating serial killers or anything, but I'm not fond of the series.
To be fair, you probably won't see much of that if the character comes to Smash.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Question 12
The first choice
Doom had a huge impact on the gaming industry and popularized an entire genre to the point that FPS games were called Doom clones at the time. It's a juggernaut of gaming and it more than earned an inclusion. As for the Doomguy himself, he has a wide arsenal of weaponry that gives him a run n gun moveset. If included, this would be the first Smash character that relies heavily on guns.

I also want him just so this can turn into a reality:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvlZgo_WXws (changed to a direct link to avoid it being considered censor dodging, given the foul language in the video)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I just can't imagine Doomguy being done full justice without an intense amount of blood and gore. Easily the most "rated M" character that would be included in Smash thus far.

I don't think that gets in the way of his possible inclusion mind you, and I'd still be hella hype if he got in, but it'd just be awkward having a bloodless Doomguy

osby

Smash Obsessed

Question 12
Doomslayer.

Unlike Mortal Kombat, Doom's over-the-top violence actually works for me. Just me, but I find Mortal Kombat distasteful.

Also Doom is kind of a bigger deal as far as video game history goes.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
That's not what we're doing, stop being ridiculous.

We're talking about predicting future character additions based on 5-year-old leaks. Comparing that to a trial is nonsense.
To be fair, you probably won't see much of that if the character comes to Smash.
I’m not talking about predictions. I’m talking about you not believing in something, and I’m telling you that just because something isn’t 100% accurate doesn’t mean it’s 100% inaccurate.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I just can't imagine Doomguy being done full justice without an intense amount of blood and gore. Easily the most "rated M" character that would be included in Smash thus far.

I don't think that gets in the way of his possible inclusion mind you, and I'd still be hella hype if he got in, but it'd just be awkward having a bloodless Doomguy
You can easily give Doom justice without any of the blood and gore, all what you have to do is properly portray the gun n run style of the games and make it feel like you're playing as Doomguy. And besides, Bayonetta is rated M character that portrays sexiness and violence in her games. But the developers didn't focus on the sexiness and violence aspect of her character while developing her for Smash. The same could be done for Doomguy, just properly portray the feeling of playing as Doomguy without the violence.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
So, our shortlist for the frontrunners is still something like this, isn’t it?

- Leon Kennedy
- Jill Valentine
- Heihachi
- Lloyd Irving
- Phoenix Wright
- Crash
- Doomguy
- Ryu Hayabusa

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

- Leon Kennedy
- Jill Valentine
- Heihachi
- Lloyd Irving
- Phoenix Wright
- Crash
- Doomguy
- Ryu Hayabusa
That sounds about right. I’m not really expecting anyone outside of this list.

Polan

Smash Lord
Yeah several people saw it.
Basically the Hero/3.0 breakdown is probably uploaded, so now we're just waiting for it to get un-privated so we can watch it.
it can't be the 4.0 overview/breakdown tho. those are generally uploaded on the main nintendo channel. the smash channel is where the individual reveal trailers are uploaded to be viewable on the smash bros website and hero's trailer is already there. which means that this private video might be a trailer for something that hasn't been revealed to us yet.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace

- Leon Kennedy
- Jill Valentine
- Heihachi
- Lloyd Irving
- Phoenix Wright
- Crash
- Doomguy
- Ryu Hayabusa
Farmer Pete y'all. I'm telling you it's happening. ;)

D

Deleted member

I hope that if we get Doom Slayer he is more inspired by Eternal rather than the 2016 game.

I personally disliked 2016, and Eternal seems to fix everything I disliked about it so far.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Doomslayer.

Unlike Mortal Kombat, Doom's over-the-top violence actually works for me. Just me, but I find Mortal Kombat distasteful.

Also Doom is kind of a bigger deal as far as video game history goes.
Yeah, MK is a bit much for me too. Both are over the top and self-indulgent, but in Doom the violence mostly involves demons whereas in MK it involves people who look like janky wax sculptures.

D

Deleted member

Doomguy does have a better chance at getting into Smash, yeah.

I would be fine with him if he got in, but I may skip the character if he is mostly based on the 2016 version and lacks stuff from the classic games or Eternal.

Would be happy for whoever liked 2016 doh, or at least the kind people who liked it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Doomguy does have a better chance at getting into Smash, yeah.

I would be fine with him if he got in, but I may skip the character if he is mostly based on the 2016 version and lacks stuff from the classic games or Eternal.

Would be happy for whoever liked 2016 doh, or at least the kind people who liked it.
Looking at Smash's track record, it's safe to say he'll mostly be loyal to his older games.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Question 12
Doomslayer. Aside from the fact that Doom (2016) had what was EASILY my favourite first person shooter campaign (depending on if you count the Metroid Prime and Portal series or not), Doom is a lot like Street Fighter or Dragon Quest, in that it may not have created a genre, but it certainly popularized it and got it to the level that it's on today.

Admittedly, that genre isn't all that popular in Japan, so I don't know how likely it is that he'd be included, but if they can incorporated the elements that made Doom (2016) work so well (constant movement, getting close to your opponent for satisfying finishers), then I'd love to see what they'd do with the character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, that was just an example. Some stuff is more series than others, but it's all on a continuum: G.I. Joe, Goldeneye, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, etc.

Once you get to, idk, eight, nine, ten - a tough guy with a gun becomes "cool". I came up at the time Halo really hit its peak, and I can tell you there were no shortage of kids in elementary playing that game. So yeah, I do think a lot of young boys would gravitate towards Doom Slayer. He's "cool".

It's strange, me saying this to who I assume are mostly guys, but lemme tell you, I have three brothers, three nephews, I've worked at a game store; young boys love that ****. :laugh:
Not to **** on Doom or other similar games, but I just find it really funny. I remember going through a similar phase around 10 years old - people were all looking for games like GTA or CoD. Like, it was either shooters or sports games. They seemed so "mature" and "grown up" at the time...

... and then I actually grew up and re-learned to appreciate my goofy cereal mascots and anime-looking RPGs.

I find this entire dynamic really funny in retrospect. :laugh:

That said, I do think Doomguy has a chance. He's not a lock, but he has a decent shot. Plus, if any FPS franchise that isn't Halo got in Smash, it would be Doom imo.

Here's a question: I'm starting to think a Capcom character is really likely. Not because of Costume Theory or anything, but because out of the current characters that are considered to be main contenders, three are from Capcom and they have a strong case being built for them. Especially the Resident Evil ones (the last of the top 10 biggest japanese 3rd party franchises without content in Smash).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's a question: I'm starting to think a Capcom character is really likely. Not because of Costume Theory or anything, but because out of the current characters that are considered to be main contenders, three are from Capcom and they have a strong case being built for them. Especially the Resident Evil ones (the last of the top 10 biggest japanese 3rd party franchises without content in Smash).
Not that I disagree or anything, but this isn't a question.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, just woke up and I have a splitting headache. Here's the actual question: how likely do you all think a Capcom character has become?
Hope you feel better.
Maybe it’s because I just picked up Resident Evil Revelations and am loving it so far, but I would agree that the lack of Resident Evil representation in smash seems suspect. I’m sure many of the monsters wouldn’t make it as spirits just because some of the designs are genuinely disturbing. However, most of the protagonists or even support characters shouldn’t be an issue.
If Capcom gets an RE character, it would probably called something like Survivor, and feature multiple protagonists a la DQ Hero. Most of them have a similar skill set in the games, so only major changes would be body types.

In any case, I’m thinking 33% chance of Capcom, 33% Tecmo Koei, 33% anyone else

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sorry, just woke up and I have a splitting headache. Here's the actual question: how likely do you all think a Capcom character has become?
I think out of all the third parties that currently have content in the game. I think they most likely have the best shot at getting another character in there right now.

This is disregarding stuff like Mii costume theory and whatnot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They aren't a lock by any means, but I think they are fairly likely.

I don't think Hero and Banjo point out a Capcom character, though.

D

Deleted member

They aren't a lock by any means, but I think they are fairly likely.

I don't think Hero and Banjo point out a Capcom character, though.
Wright, Jill or Dante would be my favourite Capcom picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom