• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Legal issues. It wasn't their choice. They began localizing their own games through their own company XSeed. But their previous localization company owns the rights the name Harvest Moon in the West, so they legally can't call their titles Harvest Moon over here. So any new games coming out called Harvest Moon actually have no connection to the Harvest Moon games published by Marvelous, and are instead made by Natsume (also they are terrible, don't buy them). But the games called Story of Seasons are actually the same IP as the old Harvest Moon titles and are made by Marvelous, despite having a different name.
So the company that used to localize them owns the original localized title? I didn't know that could legally happen. Why did they change localization companies then?

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So the company that used to localize them owns the original localized title? I didn't know that could legally happen. Why did they change localization companies then?
I don't know the specifics, but I'd assume that after using Harvest Moon as the name for localization they trademarked the name, to reserve rights to it. I'd imagine that the legal trouble comes from the fact that the game series is called Bokujo Monogatari in Japan, which apparently literally translates to Ranch Story. So my guess is that Natsume was allowed to trademark the name Harvest Moon because they came up with it as a title and because it doesn't actually translate to the the name that Marvelous had the rights to.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I definitely think a farmer character could possibly be in, or really any character representing a more casual or simulation genre. My preference would be Style Savvy but it could be anyone. I just feel in my gut we are going to get someone from an unusual genre or aesthetic and someone from a hardcore or mature aesthetic. Phoenix Wright is my overall dream of course.

As for GTA, gotta be CJ. Most memorable game and character to me, plus mechanically I think he fits better than the others. Not that any of them fit, but I'd feel the same way if they made PSASBR 2. Plus it means getting Big Smoke in Smash.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Villager covers a lot of what a farmer character could do but if they go all the way with it they could make an interesting character out of it.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Gotta love the Smash community and it's double standards.
"That character is a dumb fit for Smash, they're old, irrelevant, and dead! My character though? They're perfect for Smash, who cares if they're old, irrelevant, and dead?"

To answer the questions above. There are some Japanese characters I'd like to see playable and there are some Western characters that I'd like to see playable. I don't like choosing a character based off their country of origin and I prefer to treat a character based on their merits and how good their game is. I never enjoyed the argument that a character's inclusion depends on their country of origin. I've seen many people, including some users on this site, who claimed Western owned characters would never get in Smash just because they're Western and not Japanese. Not only is this argument narrow minded, but we saw that it was full of bogus after Banjo got in. So how did some of these people react to Banjo's inclusion? They moved the goalpost and claimed only western owned characters that have ties to Nintendo can get in Smash. It's getting silly at this point and using this argument requires Olympic levels of mental gymnastics. Let's be smart folks, arbitrary rules that don't have a strong argument are never healthy for discussion.

As for GTA characters I'd want to see.... It's probably gonna be CJ. San Andreas is my favorite GTA game and CJ has the biggest potential compared to the rest of the cast. San Andreas was jam packed full of content, with items that never saw the light of day again like Jetpacks and spray cans.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
"That character is a dumb fit for Smash, they're old, irrelevant, and dead! My character though? They're perfect for Smash, who cares if they're old, irrelevant, and dead?"

To answer the questions above. There are some Japanese characters I'd like to see playable and there are some Western characters that I'd like to see playable. I don't like choosing a character based off their country of origin and I prefer to treat a character based on their merits and how good their game is. I never enjoyed the argument that a character's inclusion depends on their country of origin. I've seen many people, including some users on this site, who claimed Western owned characters would never get in Smash just because they're Western and not Japanese. Not only is this argument narrow minded, but we saw that it was full of bogus after Banjo got in. So how did some of these people react to Banjo's inclusion? They moved the goalpost and claimed only western owned characters that have ties to Nintendo can get in Smash. It's getting silly at this point and using this argument requires Olympic levels of mental gymnastics. Let's be smart folks, arbitrary rules that don't have a strong argument are never healthy for discussion.

As for GTA characters I'd want to see.... It's probably gonna be CJ. San Andreas is my favorite GTA game and CJ has the biggest potential compared to the rest of the cast. San Andreas was jam packed full of content, with items that never saw the light of day again like Jetpacks and spray cans.
If you dismiss those "arbitrary rules" then everyone has equal chance of getting in and there's no need to discuss this any further, no ?

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
When it comes to Western characters, well, I think Banjo was and is the only exception due to how many years people have been asking for him.
I'd love to see more non-japanise characters, but I don't see a reason why the man himself would pick another Western character over a Japanese one, when there is A LOT of amazing picks to be done.
At the end of the day I don't really care, I already got what I wanted and I just wish everyone could be happy, but I know that's impossible.
offtopic: Yoo Brachydios is back babyyyyyyy

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nintendo has a lot of Western partners nowadays. I can see another Western fighter getting added.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m not expecting Porky, but saying the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit disconfirmed him seems silly to me. Not a single thing that goes into obtaining the Spirit references Porky at all.

However, it does have its own online icon focused on the window, so maybe it is a joke. You could say it’s some joke about Galeem snapping the capsule but not getting Porky, however. The sprite it uses is also apparently the “empty” variation, but I don’t remember how the sprites showed ingame so idk. I’d say it’s best not to put much thought into this.

As for what region I’d prefer for characters...I could care less. I give absolutely no thought as to what country a character comes from unless someone props it up as if it’s a hard-rule, which we’ve seen broken recently like many other “rules”, with Sakurai himself saying it was hopefully a good experience or something for “them” (I assume NoJ) since they usually don’t do this kind of thing. He also said Banjo & Kazooie were easy.

The only western-owned character I care about after B & K is Steve, my current most-wanted; and maybe the Creeper though I’d never expect it, so really most of my wants are Japanese tbh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ehh, I’ve been giving it some though, and if I were to pick two characters to fill the last DLC spots, it’d be these two:

B16A0776-0D75-4E5F-8CFC-A9989B22EAE0.png

Primarily cause they’d both have dope ass movesets, but they’re also off-the-wall enough to be super hype, and both certainly earn the spot, being highly reputable series and gaming classics with ties to Nintendo (Doom 64 and Ninja Gaiden NES). There’s a lot of legacy to both of them, and you still maintain that East-West balance in the DLC picks after Joker.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If you dismiss those "arbitrary rules" then everyone has equal chance of getting in and there's no need to discuss this any further, no ?
These arbitrary rules are not what defines the chances of each character. Character chances are defined by what company they come from and how easy it is to get the license, how iconic and popular the series is, and the series relation to Nintendo if possible. The region the character comes from is not as important as these other stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would bet money on Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy being the final 2 guys

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The following is a Fighter Pass fan-fiction rated T

*sometime early Spring 2019*

Nintendo HQ, Japan

Mr. Sakurai: "Hmm... let's see what other characters remain on the list." *browses* Hmm?"

*The sound of gears turning is heard faintly in the distance.*

Employee 1: "Huh? Hey, did you hear that?"
Employee 2: "Hear what?"
Employee 1: "Sounded like something metal-like."
Employee 2: "Say, it's getting cloudy outside."

*quick footsteps are heard fast approaching*

Employee 3: "GUYS, GUYS! THIS IS BAD!"
Employee 1: "Whoa! Calm down. What's wrong?"
Employee 3: *pant* *pant* "He's decided the next Fighter."
Employee 2: "Oh, awesome. I guess we'll be learning who it is soon and begin dev..."
Employee 3: "NO! Haven't you seen the sky?!?! This is bad! I just came from the meeting room and... no one was prepared for this."
Employee 1: "What are you talking about? Prepared for what?"

*moments earlier*

Meeting Room

*anxious silence*

Mr. Sakurai: "Gearbox."
Employee 4: "Excuse me?"
Mr. Sakurai: "Contact Gearbox."

*the rest look at each other puzzled*

Employee 3: "Excuse me Mr. Sakurai but, why should we contact Gear..."

*Mr. Sakurai pulls out a pair of shades and puts them on.*

Mr. Sakurai: "F@#$."
Employee 4: "Mr. Sakurai, are you alright?"
Mr. Sakurai: "It's time to kick @$$ and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum."
Employee 3: "Oh no..." *browses the list* "Mr. Sakurai, you can't mean?!?!"
Mr. Sakurai: "Hail to the king, baby!"

*Some time late Fall 2019*

Mr. Sakurai: "I hope you all enjoy playing as the friendly duo. With that said, once again I thank you all for your support. ... ... Oh, I almost forgot. There's one more thing I'd like to show you all. Please, take a look."

*The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate logo pops into the screen, later fading to black.*
*Ridley appears, continuing his fight against a battle-worn Zero Suit Samus.*
*Ridley lifts Samus up by her throat, about to impale her.*
*Suddenly Ridley notices that two missiles are approaching his way.*
*Samus manages to escape the grip of a distracted Ridley.*
*Ridley flies off trying to shake off the missiles.*
*Ridley manages to escape one of the missiles, while the other ends up hitting one of his wings.*
*Ridley falls, and as he begins to get up, his face is pressed to the floor by a boot.*
*Samus looks towards the direction Ridley fell, trying to discern the silhouette beside him.*
*The camera pans back to the boot and begins to rise.*

???: "So, think you can get away with stealing our women eh, alien scum?"

THE DUKE GEARS UP FOR BATTLE!!!

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X DUKE NUKEM

Winter 2019

Disclosure: Not a TRUE fan. Just for kicks.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I’m not expecting Porky, but saying the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit disconfirmed him seems silly to me. Not a single thing that goes into obtaining the Spirit references Porky at all.

However, it does have its own online icon focused on the window, so maybe it is a joke. You could say it’s some joke about Galeem snapping the capsule but not getting Porky, however. The sprite it uses is also apparently the “empty” variation, but I don’t remember how the sprites showed ingame so idk. I’d say it’s best not to put much thought into this.
I don't think it's a deconfirmation, but Porky is a conspicuous absence and if we're looking at plausible reasons we've got:

1) they just didnt put him in
2) they withheld him for a reason
3) they decided to use the in game lore to explain why he didnt get taken as a joke

Obviously there are certain characters who have Spirits taken from multiple points in their timeline, but I think the joke answer is the most palatable at this point if he doesnt become a fighter.

Ehh, I’ve been giving it some though, and if I were to pick two characters to fill the last DLC spots, it’d be these two:

Primarily cause they’d both have dope *** movesets, but they’re also off-the-wall enough to be super hype, and both certainly earn the spot, being highly reputable series and gaming classics with ties to Nintendo (Doom 64 and Ninja Gaiden NES). There’s a lot of legacy to both of them, and you still maintain that East-West balance in the DLC picks after Joker.
Ryu Hayabusa is the character I'm most sure of. Watch me be wrong, but in terms of being a NES icon, mostly worked on by a developer with strong Nintendo ties and a publisher with content already in the game, it seems almost too easy.

Doom Slayer I'm coming around on more and more. I think just hanging out on this board is doing it.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice

cries in Louie supporter
but fr i think the only hard rule is no fourth parties (Goku, Spiderman), a rule I am all too fond of having (else Smash becomes a sellout and dies). Sakuri himself explicitly stated such. Being fourth party or higher is like the hardest deconfirmation in existence, anyone who argues that otherwise is kiddin themselves.

I pray that Porky was not reduced to an implied cameo. Sans him there really isn't any potential fighter from Mother that could bring along spirits (and with the spirits, a Porky spirit), and if there's no Mother DLC that would mean that the only Subspace boss and OG twelve villian (with Bowser, Ganon, Mewtwo, MK, Ridley, and Rool being playable, and Goroh, Kamek, King Boo being spirits) not being in Smash Ultimate in any form is Porky. That just feels like an insult.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't think it's a deconfirmation, but Porky is a conspicuous absence and if we're looking at plausible reasons we've got:

1) they just didnt put him in
2) they withheld him for a reason
3) they decided to use the in game lore to explain why he didnt get taken as a joke

Obviously there are certain characters who have Spirits taken from multiple points in their timeline, but I think the joke answer is the most palatable at this point if he doesnt become a fighter.
That’s fair.

What sucks, however, is that means he’s not really in the game at all unless you want to count his name being in the title of his theme or substitute him with the King P statue. Porky himself doesn’t even have a spirit for his EarthBound form, and the statue nor even his robots have spirits, either.

I don’t expect him as a fighter, though I want him, and I like the joke, but it still sucks that he doesn’t actually make a real appearance.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Maybe Sakurai couldn’t come up with a move set for them that he liked.
Does that line up with Smash 4's development though? Was it that he started off with a moveset and then planned characters? Or was it not like that?
I would bet money on Crash Bandicoot and Doomguy being the final 2 guys
I'd love Crash, but I kinda doubt BOTH of the last two of the Pass are both going to be Western.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Does that line up with Smash 4's development though? Was it that he started off with a moveset and then planned characters? Or was it not like that?

I'd love Crash, but I kinda doubt BOTH of the last two of the Pass are both going to be Western.
Honestly don't know for sure, its just speculation. We see signs that they were planned for Smash 4, but they were ultimately not included in the roster. Perhaps 3DS limitations held them back, but if that was the only reason we would probably seen them in Ultimate since it wasn't burdened by the 3DS, which is why I believe Sakurai didn't feel satisfied by their moveset.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
The region the character comes from is not as important as these other stuff.
I don't know about that. Considering there's only 4 western characters, those being :
-Diddy Kong, the only logical second DK rep.
-Dark Samus, a no-brainer echo for Samus.
-King K.Rool, a massively requested character both in the west and in Japan.
-Banjo & Kazooie, the exact same as King K.Rool.

I don't think this means western third parties don't have a chance of getting in and i don't think B&K is the exception. However, i do believe that the said western third party character has to have decent support from the Japanese. This is probably the reason why Japan had its own separate ballot.

I could see Crash getting in. Doomguy not so much due to him not being that popular in Japan, or straight up not popular.
It doesn't mean that i hate the character or that i say this to spite his fans. I wouldn't mind him actually.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Honestly don't know for sure, its just speculation. We see signs that they were planned for Smash 4, but they were ultimately not included in the roster. Perhaps 3DS limitations held them back, but if that was the only reason we would probably seen them in Ultimate since it wasn't burdened by the 3DS, which is why I believe Sakurai didn't feel satisfied by their moveset.
Yeah just, again, I just hope it was for a more non-negotiable reason like "he couldn't properly make the Rhythm moveset because of latency and balance" than like "we could have had one in had Ultimate not done the EVERYONE IS HERE thing and thus had more newcomers". But yeah, who knows.

StormC

Smash Hero
My pet theory is when plans for Chorus Kids fell through, they put Bowser Jr. in instead (hence why he was almost cut). Jr. wasn't on the original Gematsu list (although neither were Rosalina and Duck Hunt) and they already had a Mario character planned. Jr. might have been a backup choice.

But that's just a theory...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
so whats the deal with sans

what kind of moveset would he have?

I don't know about that. Considering there's only 4 western characters, those being :
-Diddy Kong, the only logical second DK rep.
-Dark Samus, a no-brainer echo for Samus.
-King K.Rool, a massively requested character both in the west and in Japan.
-Banjo & Kazooie, the exact same as King K.Rool.

I don't think this means western third parties don't have a chance of getting in and i don't think B&K is the exception. However, i do believe that the said western third party character has to have decent support from the Japanese. This is probably the reason why Japan had its own separate ballot.

I could see Crash getting in. Doomguy not so much due to him not being that popular in Japan, or straight up not popular.
It doesn't mean that i hate the character or that i say this to spite his fans. I wouldn't mind him actually.
Don't forget that a certain someone is an indie title and in the game, just not playable.

1562867697092.png

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not lock lock

But I’m sure crash is one of last 2

And the other that comes to mind is the following

Leon or Jill valentine
Dante
Ryu hayabusa
Doomguy
Sans or some other rep from undertale

And if third party s not a factor

Dixie kong
Waluigi

And remind in future smash game(s) (or revolt) new first parties will rise immensely

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
So what’s the word on the street? Are the leading candidates still:

Leon/Jill
Lloyd
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash
Phoenix Wright
Heihachi
?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If they have the popularity to offset those hindrances... yeah.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My pet theory is when plans for Chorus Kids fell through
My pet theory is Chorus Kids were never going to be a thing, and people only keep thinking they're going to be a thing because of a fake leak from years ago.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I still think the last two characters will be from Namco and Capcom. Specifically Tales and Resident Evil. I think Banjo is the only western character right now. If there was another western character, no doubt it would be Crash to me. He doesn't carry the baggage some other western characters have.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yep. Even with that.
So the fake leak just happened to guess Chrom and XY Pokemon when we know Chrom was considered and they put in a placeholder for a gen 6 Pokemon? Not to mention Wii Fit Trainer. One hell of a coincidence.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I mean there's the Gemetsu leak, the datamined series emblem amongst those of the fighters, and EVEN THEN, there's also how the Rhythm Paradise series has an enemy in Smash Run where literally every other enemy is either tied to a series with playable characters, from the Subspace Emissary, classic Namco because Pac-Man, or the Polar Bear from Ice Climber, which we know was going to be included in Smash 4 so that goes under the first category.

Maybe, just, MAYBE there's a bit of legitimacy to the idea a Rhythm Paradise character was planned.
I still think the last two characters will be from Namco and Capcom. Specifically Tales and Resident Evil. I think Banjo is the only western character right now. If there was another western character, no doubt it would be Crash to me. He doesn't carry the baggage some other western characters have.
Is that because Mii Costume theory or

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I mean there's the Gemetsu leak, the datamined series emblem amongst those of the fighters, and EVEN THEN, there's also how the Rhythm Paradise series has an enemy in Smash Run where literally every other enemy is either tied to a series with playable characters, from the Subspace Emissary, classic Namco because Pac-Man, or the Polar Bear from Ice Climber, which we know was going to be included in Smash 4 so that goes under the first category.

Maybe, just, MAYBE there's a bit of legitimacy to the idea a Rhythm Paradise character was planned.

Is that because Mii Costume theory or
Joker, DQ, Banjo, Lloyd, and Leon Kennedy was always my prediction around the time Insiders came out about Dragon Quest. The theory of 3rd party mii costumes old and new owned by their respective comapny releasing alongside character just accelerated my prediction. Of course we'll have to see with Mii Costume Wave 2 if it only has SE Mii Costumes.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Things are going to get interesting when:
- Geno isn't included in the second Mii costume wave.
- There are Mii costumes included not from Square but from another company, for example Bandai Namco.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Idk why but I have a hunch that Lloyd's Mii costume may be released alongside Hero. He is a JRPG character and would fit right in with whatever Square costumes we do end up getting, so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up lumping him into wave 2

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Leon/Jill
Lloyd
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash
Phoenix Wright
Heihachi
?
Yeah, pretty much.
Things are going to get interesting when:
- Geno isn't included in the second Mii costume wave.
- There are Mii costumes included not from Square but from another company, for example Bandai Namco.
I think the word you're looking for is If.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Leon/Jill
Lloyd
Doom Slayer
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash
Phoenix Wright
Heihachi
?
Wasn't that one big leak with Ryu (the one with Ryu, Doomguy, and Steve) debunked though since we only have 2 characters left?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I agree with this. Though I don’t actively support nor root against a RH rep, I’m thinking that one was planned, probably Chorus Men, but didn’t make the cut for one of two reasons, or both.

1. A similar reason to why Ice Climbers weren't in Smash 4, the 3DS’ technical limitations may not have been able to handle all 3 models following each other around.
2. Sakurai was unable to (and, unfortunately for RH fans, has still been unable to) create a moveset for them that payed tribute to the source material in a way he felt content with.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Something I noticed is how the emblem listing for Rhythm Paradise lacks the infamously cut Ice Climber series, so I speculate it was only after the cutting of the Ice Climbers that the CKs or whoever didn't make the cut, maybe not even for technical reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom